Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

fade

Staff member
In 2006, I scrimped and saved to buy the highest rated but affordable LCD tv on the market. I paid over 3 grand for a 1080p Sony Bravia XB2 40 inch. It's still got a nice picture, and it still looks really classy (which is rare in TVs). I wanted a second TV for another room, so I bought a Craigslist used Samsung 720p 32" for less than $100. The Samsung was less than a year old. The picture on the Samsung is like 10x better than the Bravia, which kind of pisses me off. I know, time marches on and all that, but I should've spent that money on something more important probably. Oh well, I got 10 years out of it, and it's still fine, so there's that.

GasBandit

Staff member
In 2006, I scrimped and saved to buy the highest rated but affordable LCD tv on the market. I paid over 3 grand for a 1080p Sony Bravia XB2 40 inch. It's still got a nice picture, and it still looks really classy (which is rare in TVs). I wanted a second TV for another room, so I bought a Craigslist used Samsung 720p 32" for less than $100. The Samsung was less than a year old. The picture on the Samsung is like 10x better than the Bravia, which kind of pisses me off. I know, time marches on and all that, but I should've spent that money on something more important probably. Oh well, I got 10 years out of it, and it's still fine, so there's that.
Well, the quality of an LCD display also degrades over the years, I've found. I went through something similar, I bought a 22" LCD monitor back in the day, and it looked really good when I got it... then a couple years later I got a second one for much cheaper, and since I had them side by side I could see the new one was much more vibrant - the whites were whiter, the colors were more intense, etc etc. So, it may just be that the Samsung is just newer than the Sony, and not really merely better inherent engineering.

GasBandit

Staff member
Dear lord, tomorrow is going to suck.

Underling 1 is going to be out all day, taking her boyfriend to the neurologist again (it's out of town).

Underling 2's got a class field trip (field trips in college? wtf?) that will keep her gone all day.

So I'll be all alone doing the work of 3+ people again.

Sounds like a good day to get drunk and play Space Engineers while I eat turkey and play D&D [emoji14]

Or hang out with @Terrik who will be getting drunk after his O. Chem test.

GasBandit

Staff member
Sounds like a good day to get drunk and play Space Engineers while I eat turkey and play D&D [emoji14]

Or hang out with @Terrik who will be getting drunk after his O. Chem test.
I doubt Terrik will be hangoutable after all that, he'll either be out with Jun or playing Battlefront or Fallout or something. Also, if I'm trying to make a tutorial, Drunk space engineers is a bad idea.

Also, we all know your group is going to flake on you again.

NO SHUT UP WE ALREADY HAVE EARLY THANKSGIVING DINNER PLANS AND HAVE A TURKEY AND EVERYTHING.

Plus the flakiest person is showing up late and his character ended last session unconscious anyways, so I can just leave him there if he doesn't show. ;)

NO SHUT UP WE ALREADY HAVE EARLY THANKSGIVING DINNER PLANS AND HAVE A TURKEY AND EVERYTHING.

Plus the flakiest person is showing up late and his character ended last session unconscious anyways, so I can just leave him there if he doesn't show. ;)
Have him sexually serviced by a rust monster.

fade

Staff member
I kind of wonder how many of the reddit generation remember Yao Ming as a basketball player vs how many just remember him as that weird smiling guy from the meme.

doomdragon6

Staff member
Hung out with some friends yesterday for a tabletop game and I found myself feeling a lot better. I was actually considering how odd it was how much better I felt, and then-- actually the train of thought that led me to think about what I ended up thinking about is both silly and very crude, so I'll skip it-- but basically right at the end I made myself feel like shit again thinking about them. I felt slightly better before leaving, but she was still in 3 of my dreams.

Thing is, I was feeling anxious about feeling like I need to do something (spoiler alert: I shouldn't do anything) but now I'm anxious over whether I want to do something or not. Should I really make an effort to let go, or should I pursue her? That kind of stuff.

lol what is my life

Hung out with some friends yesterday for a tabletop game and I found myself feeling a lot better.
Good. You're human and you should now recognize your internal need for camaraderie and social interaction. Do more of that to feel more of that. This won't replace the relationship you had with her, but it will help remind you that you necessarily gave up some of this for your relationship with her, you need your friends now, and it's a good time to strengthen those bonds.

basically right at the end I made myself feel like shit again
Yeah, that sucks. You're human and without external stimulation and during moments when you don't have to act, you reflect on the past and try to come to grips with it and re-evaluate your "scripts" you follow under certain situations. Sometimes you can improve yourself, other times you just end up beating yourself up.

I felt slightly better before leaving, but she was still in 3 of my dreams.
Good. Your sleeping mind is still coming to grips with the relationship changes. Don't read anything into these dreams.

Thing is, I was feeling anxious about feeling like I need to do something (spoiler alert: I shouldn't do anything) but now I'm anxious over whether I want to do something or not. Should I really make an effort to let go, or should I pursue her? That kind of stuff.
As long as you continue to believe that there's a chance, no matter how slim, of getting back together, you will always have these feelings and thoughts.

If you don't like this ride, then get off it. Close the door to those thoughts. Tell your friend(s) you don't want to hear about her current activities. When you do meet her, say hi, but don't try to chat or flirt - acknowledge and move on. In all your actions and interactions assume that the two of you will never be together again and act accordingly.

If, however, you like feeling this way, continue to hold hope in your heart, ask your friends about her, and flirt whenever you see her.

I don't think I'd enjoy it, but who am I to tell you which way to go?

Regardless, everything you're experiencing is expected and normal. The only thing you have power over is what you'll do with those things. You can learn from them, move forward and grow, or you can use them to beat yourself up, dwell on the past, and hold onto the idea that maybe you can go back to what you had before. Spoiler alert - you can never go back, even if you do start dating them again it will never be the same.

So I always advise moving forward and letting the past stay in the past. If it's going to happen again in the future, it'll happen whether you hold onto it or not. My experience, though, is that if you let it go, and you grow from it, then whatever relationship you do enter into in the future will be surprisingly better than what you had in the past. So let it go, grow, and look forward to future relationships. Focus on what you want to be for your future partner and become that person, rather than focusing on what you got out of your previous relationship(s) that you now miss.

doomdragon6

Staff member
Very long, much appreciated! I actually went through all that when we broke up 2 years ago. The thing is, we DO keep entering each other's lives. She'd be ecstatic to date again. I'm just scared of commitment, and I don't know if it's the right thing? I don't mind wasting my time, but it would be a serious dick move if I wasted her time again.

I'll reinitiate casual contact, and just... Go from there I guess.

Sigh. My indecision is my greatest enemy.

Very long, much appreciated! I actually went through all that when we broke up 2 years ago. The thing is, we DO keep entering each other's lives. She'd be ecstatic to date again. I'm just scared of commitment, and I don't know if it's the right thing? I don't mind wasting my time, but it would be a serious dick move if I wasted her time again.

I'll reinitiate casual contact, and just... Go from there I guess.

Sigh. My indecision is my greatest enemy.
Wasn't there a reason you broke up to begin with? Wouldn't those same things happen again?