Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

GasBandit

Staff member
I have no idea what you're talking about.
I'm not making a clever reference. An associates degree is a 2 year employment-focused degree generally available from junior colleges, community colleges, and technical colleges. You have a Bachelor's, so an Associate's degree would be a step backwards for you.

Unless, I guess, it was completely at odds with your Baccalaureate major. I guess it wouldn't be a complete waste to get one if you suddenly had a driving urge to be a minor functionary in an accounting firm, thus getting an Associate's degree in Accounting to go with your Bachelor's in English.

I'm not making a clever reference. An associates degree is a 2 year employment-focused degree generally available from junior colleges, community colleges, and technical colleges. You have a Bachelor's, so an Associate's degree would be a step backwards for you.

Unless, I guess, it was completely at odds with your Baccalaureate major. I guess it wouldn't be a complete waste to get one if you suddenly had a driving urge to be a minor functionary in an accounting firm, thus getting an Associate's degree in Accounting to go with your Bachelor's in English.
I don't think what I have is the same thing. It was from a university, not a college. 4-year arts program in English Literature. No focus on employment, just writing essays and such.

GasBandit

Staff member
I don't think what I have is the same thing. It was from a university, not a college. 4-year arts program in English Literature. No focus on employment, just writing essays and such.
Remember, Americans use the terms "college" and "university" largely interchangably.

What I'm trying to tell you though, is that an Associate's degree is a lesser degree than a Bachelor's degree, which you already have. It basically is just the very minimal core curricula, and some specific studies that are meant to apply directly to what they want to do as work. For example, an Associates Degree in medical lab technology might get you in the door as a lab tech, when they say it requires a degree - but it is faster to get than a bachelor's.

Remember, Americans use the terms "college" and "university" largely interchangably.

What I'm trying to tell you though, is that an Associate's degree is a lesser degree than a Bachelor's degree, which you already have.
From what I understand, "college" is more for practical skills and getting on-the-job practicums. University is more for straight up scholarly work. Which is where my degree comes from.

But yeah, it still doesn't give me any useful skills that I've seen.

GasBandit

Staff member
From what I understand, "college" is more for practical skills and getting on-the-job practicums. University is more for straight up scholarly work. Which is where my degree comes from.
That's technically true, but irrelevant. It's completely normal for an american conversation to go something like this: "I've been accepted to college!" "Great! Where?" "University of Texas!" "Neat! You'll have such a great time, it's an amazing college."

In the US we generally use "technical school" (or "vocational school") to refer to a school focused on giving practical skills and/or on-the-job type training. Such as "ITT Technical Institute".

We generally use "college" and "university" to mean the same thing.

"Community college" is a smaller, 2 year school where you can get your associates degree. You can then transfer those credits to a college/university where you can earn your more advanced degrees: bachelors, masters, phd, etc. It can be a cheaper route to get a 4-year degree, or you can stop at the associates degree if you're entering a field that has lower college requirements.

Last edited:

What I'm trying to tell you though, is that an Associate's degree is a lesser degree than a Bachelor's degree, which you already have. It basically is just the very minimal core curricula, and some specific studies that are meant to apply directly to what they want to do as work. For example, an Associates Degree in medical lab technology might get you in the door as a lab tech, when they say it requires a degree - but it is faster to get than a bachelor's.
Some colleges with transfer agreements throughout their system also use Associates degrees from community or junior colleges as the equivalent of your first two years for transfer purposes. For instance, because Ohio has statewide standards for it's college courses, I can do my first two years (and get an associates) at the MUCH cheaper Columbus State and have all of my credits transfer to Ohio State when I've ready to start there. OSU actually encourages this because it helps weed out the unready students so they don't have to deal with deadbeats... and the students benefit because having an associates can help them get better work to pay for college.

It's actually become standard here in Columbus for basically everyone to go to CSCC first because it's cheaper, unless they get a wicked scholarship or something.

So, to sum up, the typical US educational route is as follows (generally speaking):
high school>associates degree (2 years)>bachelor's degree (2 more years, if you go the associates route, or 4 years generally)>masters degree (time varies)>phd(time varies).

All of this is to say if you've already got a bachelor's degree, the earlier us-centric suggestion to get an associates degree is moot.

My cousin just started university here locally after two years at NSCC. It's a great plan!

I'd like to go back to school and take a few courses but it's super confusing when one's degree was done ages ago.

Stop.

Before you go any further, seek out professional help, on how to find a job. There is a science to it and plenty of government sponsored agencies to help you. The skills you have but do not recognize may be perfect for your dream career.

You can start here.

In Canada:
"College"= place you can get a certificate or diploma from
"University"= place you can get a bachelor's degree, Masters degree, or PHD from

I went to a weird one, because it's a college that offers bachelor's degrees in a few programs, so it refers to itself simple as an "Institute"

Stop.

Before you go any further, seek out professional help, on how to find a job. There is a science to it and plenty of government sponsored agencies to help you. The skills you have but do not recognize may be perfect for your dream career.

You can start here.
I tried that site and only had maybe three applicable skills that I could check off: writing, languages, and serving others. Search pulled up nothing.

And part of the problem is I don't HAVE a dream job. I don't know what I want anymore. I thought it was to be a teacher, but that sure as hell didn't work out.

I tried that site and only had maybe three applicable skills that I could check off: writing, languages, and serving others. Search pulled up nothing.

And part of the problem is I don't HAVE a dream job. I don't know what I want anymore. I thought it was to be a teacher, but that sure as hell didn't work out.
Perhaps meeting with some one from one of the local agencies would be a better fit.

I'm... I'm not used to you being this serious and lucid.
LIFE IS A MYSTERY! EVERYONE MUST STAND ALONE! I HEAR YOU CALL MY NAME! AND IT FEELS LIKE......HOME!!!!!!

I have a thought- you seemed to like the idea of education, and I know you've gotten pretty excited about bettering yourself physically, with the extreme Yoga and whatnot. Have you considered career options in nutrition/ diet and exercise? Ie: Becoming a nutritionist or trainer? It'd be like 1-on-1 education, that doesn't require the same teaching skills that you disliked, and comes with the added benefit of improving your own physical health as well.

I have a thought- you seemed to like the idea of education, and I know you've gotten pretty excited about bettering yourself physically, with the extreme Yoga and whatnot. Have you considered career options in nutrition/ diet and exercise? Ie: Becoming a nutritionist or trainer? It'd be like 1-on-1 education, that doesn't require the same teaching skills that you disliked, and comes with the added benefit of improving your own physical health as well.
I'm 40 pounds overweight and struggling (and failing) to lose it. That's not an option.

Worse, I don't even know what else I could apply for even if I wanted to get out of customer service. I don't really have any skills for anywhere. I've considered going back to school, but I don't even know what the fuck to take. I've looked through programs at the local community college, clicked on a few offered programs, but nothing jumps out a me that says, "This! You should try doing this!"

I'm tired of working shit, minimum wage jobs but I'm just completely stuck because I've wasted my life perusing stupid goals like fucking wrestling school or just wasting it in general doing nothing or playing games or reading comics.
Wow. Sounds like maybe you should become a writer.
[DOUBLEPOST=1425774093,1425773917][/DOUBLEPOST]
We generally use "college" and "university" to mean the same thing.
I was always under the impression that "college" meant no post-Bachelor's program, while "universities" did have post-Bachelor's curricula.

--Patrick

*sigh* I want to find another job. Where I'm at now, there's no consistent hours and it's mind-numbing customer service. If I worked a full year there, I'd probably be lucky if I hit even $20,000 in a year. Hell, my most recent tax return had me at $12,000 since April.

And I just...fucking hell, I just don't know what to do. I don't want to apply to other customer service jobs because it'll just be the same shit only a different store with a different cash register and the same inconsistent hours.

Worse, I don't even know what else I could apply for even if I wanted to get out of customer service. I don't really have any skills for anywhere.

I've considered going back to school, but I don't even know what the fuck to take. I've looked through programs at the local community college, clicked on a few offered programs, but nothing jumps out a me that says, "This! You should try doing this!"

I'm tired of working shit, minimum wage jobs but I'm just completely stuck because I've wasted my life perusing stupid goals like fucking wrestling school or just wasting it in general doing nothing or playing games or reading comics.
If you ever figure this out, let me know. I'm in the same boat, working part time shit jobs and still don't know what I want to be when I grow up.

I'm 40 pounds overweight and struggling (and failing) to lose it. That's not an option.
Don't be so quick to disregard this one. A lot of people get into nutrition and personal training because they're overweight and struggling to lose the pounds, and become great inspirations and teachers because of it. My sister-in-law runs a post-pregnancy bootcamp, which she started just shortly after giving birth, because she couldn't find any other bootcamp style classes that would take her and she wanted to work off her pregnancy weight - and she's been pretty seriously successful, because her students know that she started with the same issues they have and managed to get rid of the weight and stay healthy. Or, put it this way. Would you, a 40 pounds overweight person, rather have a personal trainer who used to be overweight and is willing to teach you the methods that they used to overcome their overweightedness, or just some muscle-bound, meatheaded, bro-dude who's never experienced an ounce of unwanted body fat in their life?