Export thread

Which joke is better?

Anonymous

A friend of mine and I are having an argument about which of our jokes was better. We were talking about Abe Vigoda's passing and he had this killer tweet to show me. He thought it was pretty funny. I think mine was funnier.

You tell me which one. No grue choice. No choice of "they both suck". You have to say which one you think is the better one-liner.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

What year is this?

phil

phil

After googling Abe Vigoda's association to hitchhicker's guide to the galaxy and finding out he was in a show called fish, that one because it has literally anything at all to do with the guy.

These are both maybe some of the biggest reaches I've ever seen though.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I don't get either. I mean, I get the H2G2 reference but.....Both jokes seem to reference something I'm not aware of.

Anonymous

One references his character Fish and the other plays on the name Vigoda sounding like Vegeta.

I won't say which was mine.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

After googling Abe Vigoda's association to hitchhicker's guide to the galaxy and finding out he was in a show called fish, that one because it has literally anything at all to do with the guy.

These are both maybe some of the biggest reaches I've ever seen though.
It still fails because it gets the quote wrong. It's "So long and thanks for ALL the fish"

Bubble181

Bubble181

Ok, if that's the only link to DBZ, I have to say the H2G2 reference is easily better.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

One references his character Fish and the other plays on the name Vigoda sounding like Vegeta.

I won't say which was mine.

If the DBZ one is yours, then you are right to make yourself anonymous :p

Dave

Dave

It still fails because it gets the quote wrong. It's "So long and thanks for ALL the fish"
Which wouldn't make the joke right. Which is why I said it the way I did.

(Removed the anonymous on purpose, by the way.)

phil

phil

I didn't even notice the quote was wrong. It bugged me too because after seeing Fish only had like 35 episodes I was thinking that's not all that much fish to be thankful for. Like this was probably more of a minor note for Abe than a defining thing so the reference is even more of a stretch.

Dave

Dave

This all came about because I made a fucking GENIUS post on Reddit that nobody gets and I was lamenting. My friend didn't get that one, either. I think it's an age thing.

The post was about how they put 12,000 post-it notes in someone's office in Mildenhall. My absolutely genius (an unappreciated) comment was:

Now we know how many notes it takes to fill the Mildenhall.

That's fucking genius.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Which wouldn't make the joke right. Which is why I said it the way I did.

(Removed the anonymous on purpose, by the way.)

If you wanted to make it grammatically correct, it would need to be "Thanks for Fish." So you still fail. Thanks for all the Fish works.

Boo this man! Boooo.

Seriously though, the DBZ one is still awful.

Dave

Dave

I wanted to be as close as possible without completely breaking the quote. So it's still a great joke, you plebs.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I wanted to be as close as possible without completely breaking the quote. So it's still a great joke, you plebs.
So you're basically saying fuck you guys, it's funny.

OH MY GOD THE FORUM IS CLOSING!

phil

phil

This all came about because I made a fucking GENIUS post on Reddit that nobody gets and I was lamenting. My friend didn't get that one, either. I think it's an age thing.

The post was about how they put 12,000 post-it notes in someone's office in Mildenhall. My absolutely genius (an unappreciated) comment was:

Now we know how many notes it takes to fill the Mildenhall.

That's fucking genius.
Was...was asking how many notes it takes to fill a town in england ever a question?

PatrThom

PatrThom

The Fish one is better.
I'm not saying where it stands on an absolute scale, but it still places above the DBZ one.

--Patrick

blotsfan

blotsfan

I preferred the DBZ one because I actually understood it.

Dave

Dave

Was...was asking how many notes it takes to fill a town in england ever a question?
It's an Air Force office name at a base. Not an entire town.

None of you get it, either?[DOUBLEPOST=1472591566,1472591507][/DOUBLEPOST]

Except you, @blotsfan.

phil

phil

Except you, @blotsfan.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mildenhall,_Suffolk

But still, my question remains that was it ever put to question how many posts it would take to fill this specific thing?

Bubble181

Bubble181

I'm sorry, I have no clue about the Mildenhall thing, either.

Dave

Dave

blotsfan

blotsfan

I'm sorry I don't know more of the Abe Vigoda filmography. Fish ended about 15 years before I was born.

Dave

Dave

It's the BEATLES!!!

phil

phil

https://play.google.com/music/previ...rch&utm_campaign=lyrics&pcampaignid=kp-lyrics

CTRL+F

Mildenhall

0 results

It does say
"Now they know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall."

so is that what you mean?

Dave

Dave

From the Beatles "A Day in the Life":

"Now they know how many holes it takes to fill the Alfred Hall."

The joke:

"Now they know how many notes it takes to fill the Mildenhall."

IT WORKS ON MULTIPLE LEVELS!

phil

phil

You've confused multiple levels with zero levels.

Dave

Dave

Plebs! Plebs, all of you!

blotsfan

blotsfan

It's the BEATLES!!!
Oh shit! Thats how I recognize that guy. Hes the person from that Kanye song.

Denbrought

Denbrought

Plebs! Plebs, all of you!
Philistines is probably the better term here.

Dave

Dave

"Old Timer", my ass.

Emrys

Emrys

We still love you, @Dave. You are very special to us.

Special, like the Olympics.

blotsfan

blotsfan

This actually seems quite relevant for this thread.

Dave

Dave

I can't help it that you guys are humor deficient. The play on the Beatles song was (IS!) an amazing joke. You unappreciative baboons.

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

Show some dignity, @Dave. You don't see me getting so bent out of shape when one of my awesome jokes falls flat on the ears of these unappreciative baboons.

Sara_2814

Sara_2814

I didn't even notice the quote was wrong. It bugged me too because after seeing Fish only had like 35 episodes I was thinking that's not all that much fish to be thankful for. Like this was probably more of a minor note for Abe than a defining thing so the reference is even more of a stretch.
Abe played Detective Fish on Barney Miller for three years. The tv series Fish was a spin-off, because he was such a popular character. So there was plenty of Fish to be thankful for. ;)

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

Abe played Detective Fish on Barney Miller for three years. The tv series Fish was a spin-off, because he was such a popular character. So there was plenty of Fish to be thankful for. ;)
I wonder how many wife beating jokes he recited during that tenure as Fish.

That was something that struck me when I recently watched some Barney Miller. They were so casual a d frequent. The world changes

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I wonder how many wife beating jokes he recited during that tenure as Fish.

That was something that struck me when I recently watched some Barney Miller. They were so casual a d frequent. The world changes
One of these days, Alice...

PatrThom

PatrThom

It's the BEATLES!!!
Yes, dear. We know.

--Patrick

Celt Z

Celt Z

@Dave, if it helps, I got the Beatles joke immediately. Now, the two jokes in question at the top..... ummmmm....

Well, you tried your best. That's important. Here's a trophy.

Dave

Dave

:mad:

Genius! Those were genius!

fade

fade

13493_xl.jpg

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I can't help it that you guys are humor deficient.
WHOA

Dave has replaced the words "falling in love with you," with "it that you guys are humor deficient." - AMAZING JOKE

Dave

Dave

:deadpool:

phil

phil

WHOA

Dave has replaced the words "falling in love with you," with "it that you guys are humor deficient." - AMAZING JOKE

No, you see that "humor deficit" kind of sort of sounds a little bit like coefficient, which is a math term. Math is about numbers, and numbers show up in sheet music so as you can clearly see, this is a hootie and the blowfish reference. Blowfish->fish-> Abe fuckin' Vigoda.

Full circle.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

No, you see that "humor deficit" kind of sort of sounds a little bit like coefficient, which is a math term. Math is about numbers, and numbers show up in sheet music so as you can clearly see, this is a hootie and the blowfish reference. Blowfish->fish-> Abe fuckin' Vigoda.

Full circle.
Levels. It works on levels!

Emrys

Emrys

Here you go, @Dave.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Here you go, @Dave.

I don't know if I would say @Dave is the Jeff Dunham of our forum, but maybe the Larry the Cable Guy of our forum.

Emrys

Emrys

:rofl:

Dave

Dave

I wish. Dude is seriously rich.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I don't know if I would say @Dave is the Jeff Dunham of our forum, but maybe the Larry the Cable Guy of our forum.
:mad:

I don't care who you are, that's funny right there!

Grytpipe-Thynne

Grytpipe-Thynne

Except you, @blotsfan.
FYI. Midenhall is a small town in the County of Suffolk in England. Nearby is a very large USAF Transport base which is scheduled to close soon.

It is also about three quarters of an hour drive from my house!

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I wish. Dude is seriously rich.
-magine? DAVE IS ON FIRE WITH THESE REFERENCES

Dave

Dave

:stfu:

fade

fade

STFU is an anagram of "futs", which is a funny way to say "feet", and Abe Vigoda has feet AND he's funny. I get it!

Dave

Dave

Yuck it up. November is only a few months away and I *HAVE* been compared to Kurtz.

grub

grub

There are some differences between you and Kurtz.

1) you can take a joke
b) you can tell a joke
iii) you are not that narcissistic
four) you are a decent hard-working person
V) you like us

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

There are some differences between you and Kurtz.

1) you can take a joke
b) you can tell a joke
iii) you are not that narcissistic
four) you are a decent hard-working person
V) you like us
Some of these are true

GasBandit

GasBandit

Coming soon (after thanksgiving): Forums at Gasbanditry.com! :p

Terrik

Terrik

Coming soon (after thanksgiving): Forums at Gasbanditry.com! :p