[Question] Which joke is better?

Which Abe Vigoda joke is better?

• So long and thanks for the Fish!

Votes: 13 86.7%
  • Rest in peace, Abe Vigoda. Dragonball Z will never be the same without you.

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Anonymous

A friend of mine and I are having an argument about which of our jokes was better. We were talking about Abe Vigoda's passing and he had this killer tweet to show me. He thought it was pretty funny. I think mine was funnier.

You tell me which one. No grue choice. No choice of "they both suck". You have to say which one you think is the better one-liner.

After googling Abe Vigoda's association to hitchhicker's guide to the galaxy and finding out he was in a show called fish, that one because it has literally anything at all to do with the guy.

These are both maybe some of the biggest reaches I've ever seen though.

Reactions: Dei
I don't get either. I mean, I get the H2G2 reference but.....Both jokes seem to reference something I'm not aware of.

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

One references his character Fish and the other plays on the name Vigoda sounding like Vegeta.

I won't say which was mine.

After googling Abe Vigoda's association to hitchhicker's guide to the galaxy and finding out he was in a show called fish, that one because it has literally anything at all to do with the guy.

These are both maybe some of the biggest reaches I've ever seen though.
It still fails because it gets the quote wrong. It's "So long and thanks for ALL the fish"

Dave

Staff member
It still fails because it gets the quote wrong. It's "So long and thanks for ALL the fish"
Which wouldn't make the joke right. Which is why I said it the way I did.

(Removed the anonymous on purpose, by the way.)

I didn't even notice the quote was wrong. It bugged me too because after seeing Fish only had like 35 episodes I was thinking that's not all that much fish to be thankful for. Like this was probably more of a minor note for Abe than a defining thing so the reference is even more of a stretch.

Dave

Staff member
This all came about because I made a fucking GENIUS post on Reddit that nobody gets and I was lamenting. My friend didn't get that one, either. I think it's an age thing.

The post was about how they put 12,000 post-it notes in someone's office in Mildenhall. My absolutely genius (an unappreciated) comment was:

Now we know how many notes it takes to fill the Mildenhall.

That's fucking genius.

Which wouldn't make the joke right. Which is why I said it the way I did.

(Removed the anonymous on purpose, by the way.)

If you wanted to make it grammatically correct, it would need to be "Thanks for Fish." So you still fail. Thanks for all the Fish works.

Boo this man! Boooo.

Seriously though, the DBZ one is still awful.

Dave

Staff member
I wanted to be as close as possible without completely breaking the quote. So it's still a great joke, you plebs.

This all came about because I made a fucking GENIUS post on Reddit that nobody gets and I was lamenting. My friend didn't get that one, either. I think it's an age thing.

The post was about how they put 12,000 post-it notes in someone's office in Mildenhall. My absolutely genius (an unappreciated) comment was:

Now we know how many notes it takes to fill the Mildenhall.

That's fucking genius.
Was...was asking how many notes it takes to fill a town in england ever a question?

Dave

Staff member
Was...was asking how many notes it takes to fill a town in england ever a question?
It's an Air Force office name at a base. Not an entire town.

None of you get it, either?[DOUBLEPOST=1472591566,1472591507][/DOUBLEPOST]

Except you, @blotsfan.

Dave

Staff member
From the Beatles "A Day in the Life":

"Now they know how many holes it takes to fill the Alfred Hall."

The joke:

"Now they know how many notes it takes to fill the Mildenhall."

IT WORKS ON MULTIPLE LEVELS!

Dave

Staff member
I can't help it that you guys are humor deficient. The play on the Beatles song was (IS!) an amazing joke. You unappreciative baboons.

I didn't even notice the quote was wrong. It bugged me too because after seeing Fish only had like 35 episodes I was thinking that's not all that much fish to be thankful for. Like this was probably more of a minor note for Abe than a defining thing so the reference is even more of a stretch.
Abe played Detective Fish on Barney Miller for three years. The tv series Fish was a spin-off, because he was such a popular character. So there was plenty of Fish to be thankful for. ;)