Where Do You Stand? (2016 Election)

Or how much of a punching bag Clinton was for things like Politically Incorrect, SNL, Letterman, and Leno. You know... when all of those shows were still relevant and/or on the air.
I don't think there's been a sitting president that wasn't in the cross-hairs for media satire/scrutiny. I've got a lot of Doonesbury and Bloom County collections (that, granted, as a kid I didn't fully understand) that show neither side is safe. I want to say that even Johnny Carson threw a few punches from time-to-time.

GasBandit

Staff member
Also also, I never thought I'd say this, but I want to buy John Boehner a beer...
Anybody who pisses off John Beohner can't be all bad - the guy was a complete and utter failure and the second best friend the democrats ever had in the GOP after John McCain.[DOUBLEPOST=1462544718,1462544502][/DOUBLEPOST]
I would argue that the Daily Show always portrayed itself as a comedic news shows, written by a staff of comedians, and that it's left slant was a result of being written by a group of said comedians who were masters of their craft and who had honed that craft in NYC, a long time liberal stronghold.
All I can tell you is that The Daily Show wasn't NEAR as political in the Kilborn era as it was afterward. And it's not like there wasn't political stuff to talk about - that was the timeframe of the Lewinsky scandal and Clinton's impeachment. All the other comedy shows were jumping up and down on top of it like crazy.

Kilborn had a record of his replacement having far, far greater success. ESPN, the Daily Show, and the Late Late Show. :p

I don't really have a point to make. I just realized Donald Trump is actually a major party nominee for president. Like, holy shit this is real.

At this point, the Republican party probably can't risk nominating anyone else. It would definitely cause immediate upheaval and cost them the election both in the White House and Congress. I imagine the establishment is hoping to ride the enthusiasm for Trump to try to hold on to Congress, while simultaneously hoping he loses so they can try again next time.

I imagine the establishment is hoping to ride the enthusiasm for Trump to try to hold on to Congress, while simultaneously hoping he loses so they can try again next time.
It must just be your imagination, because I'm hearing a lot more "oh, God NO!" from the GOP establishment than enthusiasm.

"America. Proud to be the second biggest brand of beer of the biggest Belgian brewing company in the world".

Seriously, AB Inbev is mostly Brazilian owned and is officially still a Belgian company with its international HQ in Leuven, BE. Wut?

GasBandit

Staff member
"America. Proud to be the second biggest brand of beer of the biggest Belgian brewing company in the world".

Seriously, AB Inbev is mostly Brazilian owned and is officially still a Belgian company with its international HQ in Leuven, BE. Wut?
And the recipe is actually very similar to Japanese beer.

Sapporo is FANTASTIC. Well... the Sapporo we get here in AMERICA is fantastic.
The only Japanese beer I ever liked, even when I went TO Japan was this:

wn0811_Suntory.jpg

Other than that, I stuck with Chinese beers. Harbin beer is wonderful. Korean beer has the same problems that Japanese beer does to me. Then again, who's shocked? None of these places had a real "beer tradition" anyhow. Suntory here is actually primary a whiskey maker.

I was born in the NWT. I can like beer from wherever I like.

Also, it's delicious. Unlike 99% of white beers out there, Mill St actually makes theirs with real orange peel rather than some sort of orange syrup. And it's the same price as all those other mass market brands like Rickards and such.

Interesting. I will try it next time I get a chance.

I'm not a Mill St. fan, though. I've never yet had one that I liked. Certainly not compared to what Amsterdam makes, but they haven't made a white for mass production as far as I know, and I've never hit them up at a time when they've made a batch of it (which I assume they do occasionally)

GasBandit

Staff member
For anyone interested in a third party option, there will be televised a debate between the three candidates for the Libertarian Party nomination: Former New Mexico Governor Gary Johnson, software programmer John McAfee (yes, THAT McAfee), and political pundit Austin Petersen, with Penn Jillette moderating. Yes, THAT Penn Jillette.

Yeah, turns out the Libertarian Party HASN'T actually picked a nominee yet after all. Who knew?

The debate has already actually taken place in Nevada, it's just being aired this weekend. If you want the cliff notes version, you can read it here.

TLDR version: John McAfee is a stroppy nutbag who can do little but cause the LP to be even more of a joke to national voters, Austin Petersen is a republican in disguise (mostly by way of his stance on abortion), and even Gary Johnson isn't very hardcore a libertarian - leaning slightly more Democrat, at least when it comes to anti-discrimination law.

John McAfee used to live in a 3rd world nation (have fled the US originally to escape some charges), where he used his wealth to basically live like a warlord. The only reason he came back is because the statute of limitations ran out and because he'd pissed off A LOT of people down where ever he was.

John McAfee used to live in a 3rd world nation (have fled the US originally to escape some charges), where he used his wealth to basically live like a warlord. The only reason he came back is because the statute of limitations ran out and because he'd pissed off A LOT of people down where ever he was.
Isn't that the libertarian dream?