What webcomic should be a major motion picture?

figmentPez

Staff member
I was reading Drive today and I thought that I'd love to see it as a movie. That got me wondering, what webcomic should be, or is most likely to be, the first to get made into something with a wide theatrical release? We've had several animated series. Misfile did a kickstarter to make a low-budget movie, still in production. But I'm pretty sure that there has yet to be a webcomic that has hit the silver screen.

So, what should it be? Drive? Goblins? Ava's Demon? Gunnerkrigg Court? Broodhollow? XKCD?

There's a cool webcomic called PvP that's about guys at a gaming magazine with a not-so imaginary troll. It would at least be a cool cartoon.

I'd watch a Menage a 3 movie...
That would be a sitcom.
I notice nobody is saying Oglaf.

You could make a CGI series out of Kevin and Kell, I suppose.
Current audiences might like one based on GrrlPower. It could have a very Avengers-y feel to it.

--Patrick

Wapsi Square would be a good anime-style series, but oh my GOD you would have to do so much editing to get things to be understandable...

Wapsi Square would be a good anime-style series, but oh my GOD you would have to do so much editing to get things to be understandable...
I think the lack of exposition in spots would actually make it feel more like an anime-style series.

--Patrick

Maybe, but then we'd need a few boring seasons of Roomies before we got the fun, campy sci-fi show we actually want...
Even though I liked Roomies!, I think you could set up the characters in an episode or two, and skip most of the other stuff. Just establish Joyce, Joe and Sal, and take it from there.

There was a joke about Miley Cyrus and Dakota Fanning starring in the big screen adaptation of... Girls With Slingshots.

Even though I liked Roomies!, I think you could set up the characters in an episode or two, and skip most of the other stuff. Just establish Joyce, Joe and Sal, and take it from there.
Agreed. Though certain events in Roomies are undeniably important for setting up stuff in It's Walky (especially Sal/Danny), it doesn't need to go through the whole story.

holy shit Marvelous Bob was good. I need to see if anyone else ever finished it or what. Hell I just need to re-read it at some point.
They kept saying they would, but as far as I know nothing was ever completed. The MB foundation webpage says it's coming soon to 2014... guess they missed that deadline.

Goblins would work better as a series instead of a movie, I think.

An XKCD movie would be... indescribable. But probably in a good way. Probably.

figmentPez

Staff member
One comic I'm glad hasn't been mentioned is Order of the Stick. That stands far too well in its webcomic format that I think any adaptation would lose a lot of its charm.
I think a lot of writers could learn something from OotS about how to have villains with diverse and nuanced motivations, but you're right, I don't think that it works in any other medium. Adapting the visual style to motion would become a gimmick that is all too likely to overstay it's welcome, and even if you wanted to just throw out the entire title, too much of the world and the characters rely on meta-references that are aimed at a niche audience. Order of the Stick is not something I'd try to sell to someone who has no interest in D&D.

I had similar reasons for not mentioning Megatokyo. There's just too many in-jokes that aren't just throw-away gags, but actual world-building. I think a movie would either have throw out too much of what makes Megatokyo what it is, or it would spend too much time explaining the world to the audience. Not to mention that Megatokyo is just kind of floundering, with nowhere near the active fanbase it once had.

Which brings to mind a number of other comics that I didn't mention because they're either finished, abandoned, or otherwise inactive:
- Applegeeks : I really love the character of Eve, and I'm still sad that most of her story never made it into print.

- Finders Keepers : a little too reminiscent of Neverwhere, in some aspects, but still a fantastic story

- The Grand Blue Door : I think this comic is completely vanished from the web, but it was like Anne of Green Gables meets D&D. Seriously, I want more of this. Give me fantasy versions of other genres.

- Angels 2200 - because, duh.

- Cascadia - another webcomic that has pretty much completely vanished. This one had amazing art. It already looked like stills from an animated movie, and the story was pretty good too.