What the hell is Chaetomium?

figmentPez

Staff member
There is mold that grew under my sink because of a leak that wasn't fixed promptly. Testing by "EnviroHealth Consulting Inc" in Hummelstown, PA (samples were sent to them by mail) revealed "high levels of Chaetomium".

My mom says this stuff is highly toxic, hard to kill, and that bleach doesn't kill the spores, but causes them to spread easier.

Can anyone help me sort fact from fiction? I know I must be allergic to it, because of my reactions, but I don't know how careful I need to tell other people to be.

GasBandit

Staff member
Well, the wikipedia article tells me

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaetomium

that it can actually be dealt with with normal soap and water. Googling around other mold sites says that human infection is rare, and then usually happens to the immunocompromised (IE, HIV positive people, people undergoing cancer treatments, other people with weakened immune systems).

Seems like it might be a mountain/molehill situation for this particular mold.

However, moldbacteriaconsulting.com says that, because of the way it spreads, a high concentration of Chaetomium indicates a long running chronic moisture problem. For it to be highly concentrated in your sample makes me think that the dampness was really bad for a long time, which means lord knows what else is in there causing problems.

It also tends to not have spores airborne very much.

At this point asking your mom anything is just asking for more trouble. Just stop it.

The more I compare your and GB's posts, I'd think she's intentionally trying to send you into another panic.

figmentPez

Staff member
At this point asking your mom anything is just asking for more trouble. Just stop it.

The more I compare your and GB's posts, I'd think she's intentionally trying to send you into another panic.
I haven't asked her anything new, this is what she told me, and the copy of the mold report she gave me, from before the falling out.. I'm just trying to know enough so I don't have to panic when people are helping me pack up to move.

GasBandit

Staff member
I haven't asked her anything new, this is what she told me, and the copy of the mold report she gave me, from before the falling out.. I'm just trying to know enough so I don't have to panic when people are helping me pack up to move.
Chaetomium is NOT highly toxic, it is NOT hard to kill. But that it is present in large amounts indicates that the mold problem is out of control and that there could be even higher amounts of other, more troublesome molds and fungi.

figmentPez

Staff member
Chaetomium is NOT highly toxic, it is NOT hard to kill. But that it is present in large amounts indicates that the mold problem is out of control and that there could be even higher amounts of other, more troublesome molds and fungi.
Well, good thing I don't have to worry about cleaning, if I manage to follow through with this move. What do I do about things stored under the sink? Toss everything that can't be thoroughly cleaned? I'm not sure what all is under there.

Well, good thing I don't have to worry about cleaning, if I manage to follow through with this move. What do I do about things stored under the sink? Toss everything that can't be thoroughly cleaned? I'm not sure what all is under there.
If you don't know what's under there, then you probably don't need it that badly.

bleach doesn't kill the spores, but causes them to spread easier.
Just FYI, there is very little (if any!) life on this planet that (chlorine) bleach does NOT kill. It is an extremely strong reducing agent and aggressively messes up the chemical reactions that sustain life.

--Patrick

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

Yes that is true about bleach, but vinegar is another very effective mold killer. It also has the benefit of being non-toxic so it's less likely to cause further health problems or exacerbate current ones. (Search: Does vinegar kill mold)

And wearing a mask (N95) from Home Depot or the like while cleaning can help reduce mold spore inhalation.

Acetic acid is a good foil for many microbes.
I was only refuting Pez's Mom's claim that bleach won't kill it.

--Patrick