Export thread

What is the Worst Song of All Time?

Frank

Frank

Subjectively, in your opinion, what is the worst song written or performed by man or womankind.

Nominate as many as you want. I want the real dregs of music here.

Now, I'll start with a song that I don't know if it's the worst song of all time, but it's easily the worst song of the 90s.

Dolphins Cry by Live

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

We Built This City. End of discussion. :p

Celt Z

Celt Z

OMC- How Bizarre. Ugh.
(I don't even want to link because I'd have to hear the opening notes and my ears will not forgive me.)[DOUBLEPOST=1409141322,1409141196][/DOUBLEPOST]
We Built This City. End of discussion. :p
But... but... :(

Dave

Dave

The worst song I've ever heard was when I was still DJing weddings. The groom had written a song for the bride and he wanted me to play it. And not just play it. I invited all of the couples to the dance floor and announced that the groom wrote this song specifically for the bride...then I started it.

You could see the confusion on the faces of the couples as they tried to dance to this abomination. It starts with a robotic voice that says, "First signs of life!" and then goes into an electronic cacophony, interspersed with bits of the robotic voice extolling the virtues of the bride. This went on for six minutes and was painful! Of course, once the song was "done" they clapped and started to leave the floor. That's when the SECOND half of the song started, which was more of the same. I knew about the 10 second break so I left the DJ table and stood by the bar trying not to laugh at the poor couples who were trapped on the dance floor.

Worst song ever.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Worst song of all time that I've ever heard was the techno version of that Celine Dion song from Titanic. It was already an annoying, overplayed song as it was. Then I heard a version on the radio some time later that had a super techno beat to it.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Not sure if this qualifies, but the worst version of a song I've ever heard is Miley Cyrus's rendition of Part of Your World.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

pick whatever song Pitbull just released, or if he ever collaborates with the Black Eyed Peas

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

I guess I'd say pretty much any popular hip-hop. It actually makes me angry listening to it. I don't think they encompass the worst song though. I just dislike the genre in general. Same goes for any sort of screaming genre or weird ICP/Gwar-type non-sense.

Nookie by Limp Bizkit is annoying a hell.

How Am I Supposed To Live Without You by Michael Bolton makes me angry and annoyed so I guess it wins.

GasBandit

GasBandit

When I really want to be an asshole, I stream the Martian Hop over my mic in TF2.

[DOUBLEPOST=1409147863,1409147707][/DOUBLEPOST]As for myself, the song I can stand the least is probably "The Reason" by Hoobastank, because it got overplayed so very very much for the first couple years I worked in radio.

Dave

Dave

That Martian song is way too catchy.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Yoko Ono

Dave

Dave

[DOUBLEPOST=1409152693,1409152612][/DOUBLEPOST]Or even worse. Live Yoko.

Jay

Jay

Two nominations

I'm sorry, this song is so pathetic I cringe.

You thought Friday night was bad? Well let's have that same level of terribleness but let's throw in a few things to make it offensive.

Yoko Ono is terrible as well.

Dave

Dave

...wow...

Never heard that Chinese food thing before. It's very, very bad.[DOUBLEPOST=1409155200,1409155169][/DOUBLEPOST]How does she go clubbing? She's like 13. Or at least she looks and acts/sounds like it.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

pick whatever song Pitbull just released, or if he ever collaborates with the Black Eyed Peas
Agreed.

Boring beats, bad singing, bad rapping. Pitbull and BEP are stains.

Also, this one always hurts:

The message here is don't get too close to Chad Kroeger, kids, this is what happens.

GasBandit

GasBandit

How does she go clubbing? She's like 13. Or at least she looks and acts/sounds like it.
Do you really want to know the answer to this question? Would it really improve your state of mind?

Dave

Dave

I looked her up on Wikipedia. 11. Even worst.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I looked her up on Wikipedia. 11. Even worst.
Even worst.

This seems like a Halforums thing.

Dave

Dave

Even worst.

This seems like a Halforums thing.
I wondered if anyone would catch that.

It was implying that instead of just being "even worse" it was much, much lower than that. Hence, "even worst".

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I wondered if anyone would catch that.

It was implying that instead of just being "even worse" it was much, much lower than that. Hence, "even worst".
But at her age, she can't even.

Rovewin

Rovewin

While most of these bad songs I can usually just ignore in the background, Jewel - Who will save your soul makes me cringe just thinking about it and makes me hate the world when it's played. Sorry no video but like CeltZ, just hearing the first few seconds is too painful to be worth it.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Any song by Journey.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Any song by Journey.
That's what happens when you stop believing!
You should have held on to that feeling!

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

I listen to Journey and, for some reason, I get angry. If I were to ever commit mass murder it would be fueled by Journey's Greatest Hits.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

You guys don't even know what you're talking about. Allow me to present the worst song

Dave

Dave

Was that done on purpose?

drifter

drifter

I remember reading about The Shaggs. Sad backstory to them.

Covar

Covar

I listen to Journey and, for some reason, I get angry. If I were to ever commit mass murder it would be fueled by Journey's Greatest Hits.
You mean their discography?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

You guys don't even know what you're talking about. Allow me to present the worst song

I'LL TELL YOU WHERE THE BOMBS ARE, JUST MAKE IT STOP!

phil

phil

[DOUBLEPOST=1409152693,1409152612][/DOUBLEPOST]Or even worse. Live Yoko.

Dave

Dave

Look at Chuck's face when she does that. It's like, "Bitch, what the fuck are you doing?"

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

You mean their discography?
No, I actually meant this:
Jgreatesthits.jpg

It would be on repeat and I would be stabby.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Joe Cocker's "You Are So Beautiful...

...To Me."

--Patrick

Zappit

Zappit

Remember when Fred Durst covered The Who's "Behind Blue Eyes"? No?

That because you've repressed that memory, it was so bad.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I remember it. I remember the speak-n-spell vocals, too.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Well it was repressed, you bastard.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Thinking about this thread today, I remember one that I've made you all suffer through before. Think it's time we revisited it for the sake of this thread.

Mathias

Mathias

Thinking about this thread today, I remember one that I've made you all suffer through before. Think it's time we revisited it for the sake of this thread.

"Come on, girlfriend!" BLECH... I swear this is the most heinous neutering of a song if there ever was one.[DOUBLEPOST=1409180054,1409179583][/DOUBLEPOST]
When I really want to be an asshole, I stream the Martian Hop over my mic in TF2.

[DOUBLEPOST=1409147863,1409147707][/DOUBLEPOST]As for myself, the song I can stand the least is probably "The Reason" by Hoobastank, because it got overplayed so very very much for the first couple years I worked in radio.

You, sir, are pure evil.

GasBandit

GasBandit

You, sir, are pure evil.
Because the plot demaaaa-aaands
An eeeee-vil maaa-aaaan
To prove the good are good, someone's got to put 'em through it
Even Shakespeare, in his glory
Had good villains in his stories
It's a dirty job, but someone's got to do it.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Zappa thought they were the greatest band ever. ;)

Mathias

Mathias

I HATE THIS MOTHERFUCKING PIECE OF SHIT AND THE FACT THAT ITS ON REPLAY EVERY GODDAMN DECEMBER!!!!!!!!!!!

GasBandit

GasBandit

I HATE THIS MOTHERFUCKING PIECE OF SHIT AND THE FACT THAT ITS ON REPLAY EVERY GODDAMN DECEMBER!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not as bad as the hippy dippy sarcastic one John Lennon did.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Oh my god this. I used to work at a place that ran the same cd of christmas songs over the speakers from october to january, and this song played roughly one million times a day.

I can't stand to hear it to this day.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Pick one of the country songs my mom listens to.

I don't know the names or the singers. They all sound the same and they all sound terrible.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Pick one of the country songs my mom listens to.

I don't know the names or the singers. They all sound the same and they all sound terrible.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

Oh my god this. I used to work at a place that ran the same cd of christmas songs over the speakers from october to january, and this song played roughly one million times a day.

I can't stand to hear it to this day.
I worked in a music store for 3 years in the late 1980's-early 90's. This song, Christmas Wrapping, and Last Christmas got played a lot. And now we know why my Christmas music is usually instrumental, choral, or old classics.

Just Me

Just Me

And now we know why my Christmas music is usually instrumental, choral, or old classics.
*bad Walking Dead meme*
How does she like her christmas music? - Choral. CHORAL, Coral!
:oops:

jwhouk

jwhouk

"Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy" by Big & Rich.

Oh, and the obvious (at least for me): "Chelsea Dagger" by The Fratellis.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

:( I like that song

Espy

Espy

Anything by Sugar Ray. ANYTHING.

fade

fade

Not the worst, but I absolutely hate this song. It starts off like a drunk, depressed Scooby-Doo sitting a bar, crying over his whiskey.

RUT RYE RIFE RINTO REESES

Frank

Frank

I love that song.

Not because it's good, but back when I was a teenager here in the northern Canadas, we had a music video channel called Much Music. They censored that song so hard that lyrics ended up

--- my life ---- -------
This is my ---- -----
---------- no ---------
don't give a ---- if I ---- -- ---

And it became a running joke between my friends and I for too long.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Not the worst, but I absolutely hate this song. It starts off like a drunk, depressed Scooby-Doo sitting a bar, crying over his whiskey.

It's a parody gold mine, though.

CUT MY LIFE INTO PIZZA
THIS IS MY PLASTIC FORK
OVEN BAKING
HEAVY BREATHING
DON'T GIVE A FUCK IF IT'S CARBS THAT I'M EATING

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

I like that song too, @Ravenpoe UNITE!

PatrThom

PatrThom

THIS IS MY PLASTIC FORK
So that's where that comes from.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

So that's where that comes from.

--Patrick
Yep. There's all kinds of that nonsense in the mid-aughts emo alternative scene. System of a puddle of papa stained shovel.

Covar

Covar

I was about to post this.
It's not as bad as the hippy dippy sarcastic one John Lennon did.
I think Imagine might be worse.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I think Imagine might be worse.
I know I probably don't have the majority of opinion behind me on this one, but nearly everything Lennon did in his solo/yoko era was horrible.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I know I probably don't have the majority of opinion behind me on this one, but nearly everything Lennon did in his solo/yoko era was horrible.
I'm deeply curious what @Calleja would say about that.

Timmus

Timmus

Meh, I'm over it songs catchy, other teams fanbases are just hating because their team didn't use it first.

I nominate this:

GasBandit

GasBandit

Meh, I'm over it songs catchy, other teams fanbases are just hating because their team didn't use it first.

I nominate this:

Hah, the Bangles. The Wilson-Phillips of the 80s.

Though Manic Monday is no Eternal Flame.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I think there was more good than bad, but since we don't have to share a radio, you are welcome to your opinion. :)

Timmus

Timmus

Hah, the Bangles. The Wilson-Phillips of the 80s.

Though Manic Monday is no Eternal Flame.

I'm just glad that's the only song of theirs I know of then.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I think there was more good than bad, but since we don't have to share a radio, you are welcome to your opinion. :)
I'm bombarded all day by 5 radios playing garbage I'm not supposed to mess with (though every once in a while I do anyway), so what's one more, hm?[DOUBLEPOST=1409339598,1409339567][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm just glad that's the only song of theirs I know of then.
Oh come on, everybody knows "Walk Like an Egyptian" man!

Timmus

Timmus

I'm just glad that that's the only song of theirs I know I know of then?

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'm just glad that that's the only song of theirs I know I know of then?
Assuming you were cognizant in 1986, I have a hard time believing you weren't inundated by Walk Like an Egyptian like the rest of us.

Timmus

Timmus

I was 2. I was aware of the song but, until now, not who did it.

Say @GasBandit, you work in radio. Do you have enough influence at your station to program a block that will ruin the next hour of your listeners lives based off this thread?

Celt Z

Celt Z

You say that like it's an excuse.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Ah. Very well then.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Assuming you were cognizant in 1986, I have a hard time believing you weren't inundated by Walk Like an Egyptian like the rest of us.
Well, If she knew what she wants...

Cajungal

Cajungal

Ooh ooh ooh I have a great contribution to this thread I just have to find it...

GasBandit

GasBandit

Are we including ridiculously awful things beyond credence? Such as...

Cajungal

Cajungal

Every Move I Make - Hillsong Kids with lyrics:

I have to hear this sad garbage in chapel. So sad. So gross. We have to dance to it. There are moves. Sad moves. To go with this ridiculous waste of sound.

Timmus

Timmus

I'm not sure it counts if it's deliberately awful.

grub

grub

We have to dance to it. There are moves. Sad moves. To go with this ridiculous waste of sound.
I loath Hillsongs and hand actions. I always told people at church that Hand actions were why I learned guitar.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Are we including ridiculously awful things beyond credence? Such as...

I think you're looking for the AWESOME videos thread.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Are we including ridiculously awful things beyond credence?
I don't think we're talking about songs like "Why must I cry?" or "It's Cold in the D," which are songs which were terrible the moment they were released. I think this thread is more about that song that got plenty of airplay but that you want to reduce a building to rubble whenever it plays.

--Patrick

blotsfan

blotsfan

jwhouk

jwhouk

If that is what I think it is...
Yep, it is.
</thread_over>

Mathias

Mathias

I actually don't mind some terribly annoying "bad" songs as long as the band is self-aware (Frank Zappa, They Might be Giants, etc...)

But then there are these bands:

They 100% think they're God's gift to music.

Gared

Gared

My cat actually just attacked one of my speakers when I was playing this. Only time she's ever done that. We have a winner.

blotsfan

blotsfan

My cat actually just attacked one of my speakers when I was playing this. Only time she's ever done that. We have a winner.
Honestly, my only reservation about posting that was whether it counted as a song. Its always fun to see peoples' reactions when I say that the worst song ever was (technically) by the Beatles.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Most Beatlephiles deny that is even a song.

Here's how you can tell:

If you ask a Beatle fan what the longest (in terms of time) recorded song of the Fab Four is, they will likely tell you, "I Want You/She's So Heavy".

If you respond, "Wait, what about...", they will interrupt you and say, "That was NOT a song."

Celt Z

Celt Z

I would say it was an experiment, and not a successful one. Personally, I removed it from my rotation years ago.

PatrThom

PatrThom

the longest (in terms of time) recorded song of the Fab Four
Longest (in terms of time) recorded song of anything ever, since it is theoretically infinite in length (disregarding wear of media/needle).

--Patrick

Thread Necromancer

Thread Necromancer

My daughter loves this soung and made me listen to it. It is my nomination. Perhaps i could find worse, but just reading the thread title brings this to mind.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I don't know, My Pal Foot-Foot actually made me cringe, and feel in pain. This isn't music, but doesn't make me cringe. It's strange, and a bit haunting, but I wouldn't call it abjectly terrible the way The Shags were.

I bet it sounds AMAZING on acid.

Krisken

Krisken

Fucking Foriegner. Every song sounds like statutory rape.[DOUBLEPOST=1409441049,1409440910][/DOUBLEPOST]The song I hate more than anything right now is Rude by Magic. Fuck that piece of shit pile of sappy suck tunes.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

"Man, it sure has been a long time since the last Green Day album! I'm sure the main song of their next album won't be played to death, have obvious symbolism even for them, and suck out loud to the Nth degree!"

That "Demons in your soul" line is like a dagger straight to your brain.

blotsfan

blotsfan

This might be crazy, but I think Green Day dislikes republicans.

GasBandit

GasBandit

This might be crazy, but I think Green Day dislikes republicans.
Scruffy tattooed musicians with pretensions of punk rock don't like republicans? Surely you jest.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I just remembered the first time I heard 21 guns

"Do you know whats worth fighting for? If its not worth dying for?"

WHATEVER COULD YOU BE TALKING ABOUT? THAT IS FAR TOO SUBTLE FOR ME!

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I hate this song so much. And it bothers me that the choir of children have been practicing THIS song all year long:
"Ding dong ding dong ding dong"
Really? ALL FUCKING YEAR to nail that?[DOUBLEPOST=1409461886,1409461685][/DOUBLEPOST]

Without it though, we wouldn't have the superior Richard Cheese version.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I just remembered the first time I heard 21 guns

"Do you know whats worth fighting for? If its not worth dying for?"

WHATEVER COULD YOU BE TALKING ABOUT? THAT IS FAR TOO SUBTLE FOR ME!
Basically my every response to every song on that album. SO bad.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Not sure if this qualifies, but the worst version of a song I've ever heard is Miley Cyrus's rendition of Part of Your World.

That has retroactively lessened my enjoyment of one of my childhood favorites. Jackass.

Well....Bad, but not as bad as Cyrus.

You thought Friday night was bad? Well let's have that same level of terribleness but let's throw in a few things to make it offensive.
...ugh....

While it's a crappy cover, there's worse in here.

eeeee-ee-e-eeee-eeehee the Martian Hop, eee-eeh-eee.... I'm sorry, I like it just for the lasting power of that refrain. Yes, it's horrible, but in the "so bad it's hilarious" way, to me :p

...ugh....

While it's a crappy cover, there's worse in here.

That one I honestly and actually don't know. I mean, I've heard it maybe once or twice but that's it. Though "those annoying Christmas jingles" I can agree with, they're just different ones down here I guess.

Considered as a post-modern work of art, it's genuinely not terrible. As a piece of music of a pop band and supposedly listenable, it's beyond horrible. I went and put on the Martian Bop to get this out of my head.

Without it though, we wouldn't have the superior Richard Cheese version.
That is actually awesome :)[DOUBLEPOST=1409513647,1409513467][/DOUBLEPOST]And the above post is why I usually limit myself to ratings :p

Frank

Frank

Subjectively, in your opinion, what is the worst song written or performed by man or womankind.

Nominate as many as you want. I want the real dregs of music here.

Now, I'll start with a song that I don't know if it's the worst song of all time, but it's easily the worst song of the 90s.

Dolphins Cry by Live

Psuedo-Necro.

Still the worst song. Also, the most punchable lead singer in history. I just want to cave in his stupid, smug face.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I'm sure this was already posted in this thread... I may have even posted it, but I'm far too lazy to read back over two whole pages, so I'm going to repost this.

GasBandit

GasBandit

When I did have an air shift on our rock station, I made sure to yank this one off the air every time I saw it.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

I won't link to it, at all. Loathe this song. Santa Baby by absolutely anyone. Ever. This song is the reason I make sure to have my own music playing at my work area. It actually makes me angry when I hear it.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I won't link to it, at all. Loathe this song. Santa Baby by absolutely anyone. Ever. This song is the reason I make sure to have my own music playing at my work area. It actually makes me angry when I hear it.
Yeah that song is weird.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I have had Olivia Newton-John lyrics stuck in my brain all weekend.

And not her "Physical" era songs. The stuff from the early '70's, when she was doing country.

ARRRGGHHHHHH.

Frank

Frank

Not the worst song, but the worst analogy by a musician, ever.

http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/news...mpares-music-streaming-to-killing-an-elephant

Tom DeLonge of Blink 182 compares music streaming services to killing elephants for ivory.

GasBandit

GasBandit

It always mystifies me that musicians are thought (by themselves OR anyone else) to be an authority on anything other than making pleasing waveforms. I dare say Blink 182 is, as you no doubt agree from the content of your post, a dubious source on the actual economics and ethics of content delivery systems.

An artist can choose to take part in streaming services or not, that's their prerogative. But they have to realize that the streaming services are huge mitigators for music piracy. If you end all music streaming (as they no doubt want, if it's tantamount to ivory poaching), you just end up going back to the good old napster days of rampant music piracy.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Most ambitious gold-digger ever.

--Patrick

aaronmocksing

aaronmocksing

I can't get into Pharrell Williams "Happy" much at all, myself, honestly. I remember the air-time on the radio for that thing being so persistent and demanding, lol, the song almost felt like an insult to my senses. :p

Is it the worst song? Probably not, but after the ninth time in a week I'm inclined to spoof it about being unhappy. xD