[Question] What is the best fictional spaceship?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I... I remember that movie... The Explorers, right? You too can project an indestructible bubble using your commodore 64 (or was it an apple II?)... didn't they bribe a dog with gum in that movie?
I think it was an Apple, I don't remember about the dog. It's been a long time since I've seen it. I just remember the messed up ending with the alien that talks to them in tv quotes.

GasBandit

Staff member
I think it was an Apple, I don't remember about the dog. It's been a long time since I've seen it. I just remember the messed up ending with the alien that talks to them in tv quotes.
I am nigh on certain they bribed a dog guarding the junkyard where they got the Thunder Road with bubble gum.

Yes, I'm right. It's at 8:45

And the computer is an Apple II-c .

I'm going to have to watch that again, along with flight of the navigator. Those movies shaped my dreams of space as a kid more than star wars ever did.

Necronic

Staff member
Your mom.

Wait.

That's more of a planet.

Wait, I'm confused. She possesses the ability to move by herself, but she doesn't actually use it. I don't think this is covered in the argument so far. Therefore, I don't know whether to classify your mom as a space ship or a space station.
I think it depends on how many people dock to unload cargo in her.

Actually, no, this is a totally legit nerd verbal slapfight. It's an internet forum. It's star wars minutiae. How could there not be one?
As you said, it's the internet, and star wars minutiae... just because it's a legit nerd verbal slapfight doesn't mean you're not being intentionally obtuse...

The OP is "with me on this":

So if you want to pull the "OP's intent" card on me, I got your trump.
Well i never said it's not also a station... i mean that's what they all call it... just that it counts as a ship too...

But if the OP wants to exclude hybrid vehicles i guess he can. But he should have mentioned that from the start.

Hey OP, Magog World Ship, does it count?

It was pretending. Remember? "Now witness the power of this fully armed AND OPERATIONAL BATTLESTATION?"
From the way things went down it looked like it was still immobile... it just had fully functioning weapons...

Eh, I could go either way on the fighters personally, it's the STATIONS I'm vehement about. After all, Luke's X-Wing was little more than a personal transport for his trip to Dagobah.
C'mon, everyone refers to fighters as spaceship all the time...

GasBandit

Staff member
As you said, it's the internet, and star wars minutiae... just because it's a legit nerd verbal slapfight doesn't mean you're not being intentionally obtuse...
You're just wrong, that's all.

Well i never said it's not also a station... i mean that's what they all call it... just that it counts as a ship too...
You've been reading the wabbajack again I see.

From the way things went down it looked like it was still immobile... it just had fully functioning weapons...
It was a ruse to draw in the rebel fleet, and once the fleet was there, it didn't need to go anywhere.

C'mon, everyone refers to fighters as spaceship all the time...
... which is what I said. Laypeople call it fighters ships all the time... which is, as I also said, why I'm not as nitpicky about the fighters.[/quote]

It was a ruse to draw in the rebel fleet, and once the fleet was there, it didn't need to go anywhere.
So we have no way of knowing if it could move or not at the time... so when i didn't include it i was erring on the side of caution...

GasBandit

Staff member
So we have no way of knowing if it could move or not at the time... so when i didn't include it i was erring on the side of caution...
So are you saying that a ship whose engines have been removed for repair, for instance, ceases to be a ship?

I would argue that a broken ship is still a ship. It doesn't become an "extremely refined asteroid" without engines.
Sure, but that's more of a thing we do because we never found a reason to use another word for one...

But that just show how broadly the word can be used, hardly a reason against using it for something that's also part space station... which is why we call carriers ships too...

GasBandit

Staff member
Sure, but that's more of a thing we do because we never found a reason to use another word for one...
...so your argument is that the entirety of human expression is incorrect about maritime classification?

*clap*
*clap*
*clap*
Bra-vo sir. I have seen (and made) some ambitious arguments in my time, but that's one of the big ones for sure.

But that just show how broadly the word can be used, hardly a reason against using it for something that's also part space station... which is why we call carriers ships too...
A carrier is not a station.. it carries fighters, not ships. And it has nothing to do with broad use of the word, it has to do with the thing in question being built to be a ship. It can be an incomplete ship, or a broken ship, or a decomissioned ship... it's still a ship. Likewise, the death star was built to be a station. A moving station, sure, but a station.

...so your argument is that the entirety of human expression is incorrect about maritime classification?
Well we're not talking about things that sail on water, so obviously the expression isn't as fixed as you're implying...

Also: Historically, a "ship" was a vessel with sails rigged in a specific manner.

A carrier is not a station.. it carries fighters, not ships. And it has nothing to do with broad use of the word, it has to do with the thing in question being built to be a ship. It can be an incomplete ship, or a broken ship, or a decomissioned ship... it's still a ship. Likewise, the death star was built to be a station. A moving station, sure, but a station.
And what would the aquatic equivalent of a space station might be?

GasBandit

Staff member
Well we're not talking about things that sail on water, so obviously the expression isn't as fixed as you're implying...

Also: Historically, a "ship" was a vessel with sails rigged in a specific manner.

Space vessel terminology is largely based on current maritime terminology. It has fighters, ships, bases, captains, admirals, etc etc etc.

And what would the aquatic equivalent of a space station might be?
Said that already. Remember when I said Norfolk? A seaport. Currently we lack the resources and technology to build a true, free-floating "Ocean Station."

Space vessel terminology is largely based on current maritime terminology. It has fighters, ships, bases, captains, admirals, etc etc etc.
Aren't fighters taken from planes?

Regardless, that was my point, it applies more broadly then it originally did... so unless you want us to go back to "boats with sails" there's plenty of room for the Death Star...

Said that already. Remember when I said Norfolk?
Not really... must have missed it.

A seaport. Currently we lack the resources and technology to build a true, free-floating "Ocean Station."
Muhahahhahahahahahahahaaaa.........
Added at: 00:27
Now if you'll excuse me, i have some business with nature calling...

Who cares if something like the death star is included. It was blown up by a damn fighter, it was a one trick pony peice of crap. Which is usually how the giant supposedly overpowered ships/slowly moving bases are.

The Thunder Road. That is all.

Who cares if something like the death star is included. It was blown up by a damn fighter, it was a one trick pony peice of crap.
No, it was blown up by the power of The Force... compared to which the power to destroy a planet was insignificant... your disturbing lack of faith shall not stand...

So... are you choking yet?

GasBandit

Staff member
No, it was blown up by the power of The Force... compared to which the power to destroy a planet was insignificant... your disturbing lack of faith shall not stand...
Let me push my imaginary glasses back up my nose nasally point out that the force was only used as a targeting aid, the proton torpedo set off the chain reaction.

Luke Skywalker must be a horrible aim though... I hit that shit every time in X-Wing, no force assistance needed.

fade

Staff member
Yeah, I always wondered about those targeting devices. The mechanical computers they used in WWII bombers did a better job than those Plaaht Devices.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah, I always wondered about those targeting devices. The mechanical computers they used in WWII bombers did a better job than those Plaaht Devices.
I've also made the shot without getting a lock. I never got why you needed a missile lock on a stationary target anyway.

Necronic

Staff member
So are you saying that a ship whose engines have been removed for repair, for instance, ceases to be a ship?
Can you use it as a ship before you put the engine back?

If i sculpt a piece of wood in the form of a car, is it a vehicle?
---------------------------------------

And King Milinda asked him: "How is Your Reverence known, and what is your name, sir?"

"As Nagasena I am known, O Great King, and as Nagasena do my fellow religious habitually address me. But although parents give name such as Nagasena, or Surasena, or Virasena, or Sihasena, nevertheless, this word "Nagasena" is just a denomination, a designation, a conceptual term, a current appellation, a mere name. For no real person can here be apprehended."

But King Milinda explained: "Now listen, you 500 Greeks and 80,000 monks, this Nagasena tells me that he is not a real person! How can I be expected to agree with that!" And to Nagasena he said: "If, Most Reverend Nagasena, no person can be apprehended in reality, who then, I ask you, gives you what you require by way of robes, food, lodging, and medicines? Who is it that guards morality, practises meditation, and realizes the [Four] Paths and their Fruits, and thereafter Nirvana? Who is it that killing living beings, takes what is not given, commits sexual misconduct, tell lies, drinks intoxicants? Who is it that commits the Five Deadly Sins? For, if there were no person, there could ne no merit and no demerit; no doer of meritorious or demeritorious deeds, and no agent behind them; no fruit of good and evil deeds, and no reward or punishment for them. If someone should kill you, O Venerable Nagasena, would not be a real teacher, or instructor, or ordained monk! You just told me that your fellow religious habitually address you as "Nagasena". Then, what is this "Nagasena"? Are perhaps the hairs of the head "Nagasena?"

"No, Great King!"

"Or perhaps the nails, teeth, skin, muscles, sinews, bones, marrow, kidneys, heart, liver, serous membranes, spleen, lungs, intestines, mesentery, stomach, excrement, the bile, phlegm, pus, blood, grease, fat, tears, sweat, spittle, snot, fluid of the joints, urine, or the brain in the skull-are they this "Nagasena"?"

"No, Great King!"

"Or is "Nagasena" a form, or feelings, or perceptions, or impulses, or consciousness?"

"No, Great King!"

Then is it the combination of form, feelings, perceptions, impulses, and consciousness?"

"No, Great King!"

"Then is it outside the combination of form, feelings, perceptions, impulses, and consciousness?"

"No, Great King!"

"Then, ask as I may, I can discover no Nagasena at all. This "Nagasena" is just a mere sound, but who is the real Nagasena? Your Reverence has told a lie, has spoken a falsehood! There is really no Nagasena!"

Thereupon, the Venerable Nagasena said to King Milinda: "As a king you have been brought up in great refinement and you avoid roughness of any kind. If you would walk at midday on this hot, burning, and sandy ground, then your feet would have to trend on the rough and gritty gravel and pebbles, and they would hurt you, your body would get tired, your mind impaired, and your awareness of your body would be associated with pain. How then did you come on foot, or on a mount?"

"I did not come, Sir, on foot, but on a chariot."

"If you have come on a chariot, then please explain to me what a chariot is. Is the pole the chariot?"

"No, Reverend Sir!"

"Is then the axle the chariot?"

"No, Reverend Sir!"

"Is it then the wheels, or the framework, of the flag-staff, or the yoke, or the reins, or the goad-stick?"

"No, Reverend Sir!"

"Then is it the combination of poke, axle, wheels, framework, flag-staff, yoke, reins, and goad which is the "chariot"?"

"No, Reverend Sir!"

"Then, is this "chariot" outside the combination of poke, axle, wheels, framework, flag-staff, yoke, reins and goad?"

"No, Reverend Sir!"

"Then, ask as I may, I can discover no chariot at all. This "chariot" is just a mere sound. But what is the real chariot? Your Majesty has told a lie, has spoken a falsehood! There is really no chariot! Your Majesty is the greatest king in the whole of India. Of whom then are you afraid, that you do not speak the truth?" And he exclaimed: "Now listen, you 500 Greeks and 80,000 monks, this King Milinda tells me that he has come on a chariot. But when asked to explain to me what a chariot is, he cannot establish its existence. How can one possibly approve of that?"

The 500 Greeks thereupon applauded the Venerable Nagasena and said to King Milinda: "Now let You Majesty get out of that if you can!"

But King Milinda said to Nagasena: "I have not, Nagasena, spoken a falsehood. For it is in dependence on the pole, the axle, the wheels, the framework, the flag-staff, etc, there takes place this denomination "chariot", this designation, this conceptual term, a current appellation and a mere name."

"Your Majesty has spoken well about the chariot. It is just so with me. In dependence on the thirty-two parts of the body and the five Skandhas, there takes place this denomination "Nagasena", this designation, this conceptual term, a current appellation and a mere name. In ultimate realtiy, however, this person cannot be apprehended. And this has been said by our sister Vajira when she was face to face with the Lord Buddha:

"Where all constituent parts are present, the word "a chariot" is applied. So, likewise, where the skandhas are, the term a "being" commonly is used."

"It is wonderful, Nagasena, it is astonishing, Nagasena! Most brilliantly have these questions been answered! Were the Lord Buddha Himself here, He would approve what you have said. Well spoken, Nagasena! Well spoken!"

--------------

This passage should be rewritten using Spaceships. Then we will create Space Buddhism.

I took some post-hole-diggers (I finally got that PHD) to a hardware store, to have the broken handle repaired.

The clerk said, "Wow! those look really old."

"Yes," I said, "it belonged originally to Abe Lincoln."

"No! really?"

"Yes, but we had to replace the blades once and the handles 3 times."

---------------------------------------

And King Milinda asked him: "How is Your Reverence known, and what is your name, sir?"

"As Nagasena I am known, O Great King, and as Nagasena do my fellow religious habitually address me. But although parents give name such as Nagasena, or Surasena, or Virasena, or Sihasena, nevertheless, this word "Nagasena" is just a denomination, a designation, a conceptual term, a current appellation, a mere name. For no real person can here be apprehended."

But King Milinda explained: "Now listen, you 500 Greeks and 80,000 monks, this Nagasena tells me that he is not a real person! How can I be expected to agree with that!" And to Nagasena he said: "If, Most Reverend Nagasena, no person can be apprehended in reality, who then, I ask you, gives you what you require by way of robes, food, lodging, and medicines? Who is it that guards morality, practises meditation, and realizes the [Four] Paths and their Fruits, and thereafter Nirvana? Who is it that killing living beings, takes what is not given, commits sexual misconduct, tell lies, drinks intoxicants? Who is it that commits the Five Deadly Sins? For, if there were no person, there could ne no merit and no demerit; no doer of meritorious or demeritorious deeds, and no agent behind them; no fruit of good and evil deeds, and no reward or punishment for them. If someone should kill you, O Venerable Nagasena, would not be a real teacher, or instructor, or ordained monk! You just told me that your fellow religious habitually address you as "Nagasena". Then, what is this "Nagasena"? Are perhaps the hairs of the head "Nagasena?"

"No, Great King!"

"Or perhaps the nails, teeth, skin, muscles, sinews, bones, marrow, kidneys, heart, liver, serous membranes, spleen, lungs, intestines, mesentery, stomach, excrement, the bile, phlegm, pus, blood, grease, fat, tears, sweat, spittle, snot, fluid of the joints, urine, or the brain in the skull-are they this "Nagasena"?"

"No, Great King!"

"Or is "Nagasena" a form, or feelings, or perceptions, or impulses, or consciousness?"

"No, Great King!"

Then is it the combination of form, feelings, perceptions, impulses, and consciousness?"

"No, Great King!"

"Then is it outside the combination of form, feelings, perceptions, impulses, and consciousness?"

"No, Great King!"

"Then, ask as I may, I can discover no Nagasena at all. This "Nagasena" is just a mere sound, but who is the real Nagasena? Your Reverence has told a lie, has spoken a falsehood! There is really no Nagasena!"

Thereupon, the Venerable Nagasena said to King Milinda: "As a king you have been brought up in great refinement and you avoid roughness of any kind. If you would walk at midday on this hot, burning, and sandy ground, then your feet would have to trend on the rough and gritty gravel and pebbles, and they would hurt you, your body would get tired, your mind impaired, and your awareness of your body would be associated with pain. How then did you come on foot, or on a mount?"

"I did not come, Sir, on foot, but on a chariot."

"If you have come on a chariot, then please explain to me what a chariot is. Is the pole the chariot?"

"No, Reverend Sir!"

"Is then the axle the chariot?"

"No, Reverend Sir!"

"Is it then the wheels, or the framework, of the flag-staff, or the yoke, or the reins, or the goad-stick?"

"No, Reverend Sir!"

"Then is it the combination of poke, axle, wheels, framework, flag-staff, yoke, reins, and goad which is the "chariot"?"

"No, Reverend Sir!"

"Then, is this "chariot" outside the combination of poke, axle, wheels, framework, flag-staff, yoke, reins and goad?"

"No, Reverend Sir!"

"Then, ask as I may, I can discover no chariot at all. This "chariot" is just a mere sound. But what is the real chariot? Your Majesty has told a lie, has spoken a falsehood! There is really no chariot! Your Majesty is the greatest king in the whole of India. Of whom then are you afraid, that you do not speak the truth?" And he exclaimed: "Now listen, you 500 Greeks and 80,000 monks, this King Milinda tells me that he has come on a chariot. But when asked to explain to me what a chariot is, he cannot establish its existence. How can one possibly approve of that?"

The 500 Greeks thereupon applauded the Venerable Nagasena and said to King Milinda: "Now let You Majesty get out of that if you can!"

But King Milinda said to Nagasena: "I have not, Nagasena, spoken a falsehood. For it is in dependence on the pole, the axle, the wheels, the framework, the flag-staff, etc, there takes place this denomination "chariot", this designation, this conceptual term, a current appellation and a mere name."

"Your Majesty has spoken well about the chariot. It is just so with me. In dependence on the thirty-two parts of the body and the five Skandhas, there takes place this denomination "Nagasena", this designation, this conceptual term, a current appellation and a mere name. In ultimate realtiy, however, this person cannot be apprehended. And this has been said by our sister Vajira when she was face to face with the Lord Buddha:

"Where all constituent parts are present, the word "a chariot" is applied. So, likewise, where the skandhas are, the term a "being" commonly is used."

"It is wonderful, Nagasena, it is astonishing, Nagasena! Most brilliantly have these questions been answered! Were the Lord Buddha Himself here, He would approve what you have said. Well spoken, Nagasena! Well spoken!"

--------------

This passage should be rewritten using Spaceships. Then we will create Space Buddhism.

Better Nagasena than lever.

--Patrick

Necronic

Staff member
Is there a thread? I see no thread.

Are the posts the thread?
Are the authors the thread?
Are the words the thread?

I can see no thread here.

Status
Not open for further replies.