What exactly did Checkov do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
From Brian Clevinger's twitter
@bclevinger Serious question: does Sulu or Chekov set their course and speed?

And this got me thinking, what exactly DID Chekov do? I mean, I think Sulu was the pilot, right? And Checkov was the navigator...but what exactly would the navigator do?

Figure out the coordinates for the right star system and pass them on to Sulu?

I'm not really sure.

I am not Dave but

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Navigator

In Starfleet, the navigator holds the position responsible for projecting the course of a starship, and for determining a ship's position, velocity and direction in relationship to a course. The navigator can also use the ship's navigational sensors to determine the positions, speeds and trajectories of other objects. Additionally, in the 2250s and 2260s, a navigator was in charge of coordinating phaser crews for real and simulated combat and for firing the weapons. (TOS: \"The Corbomite Maneuver\", \"Obsession\") By the end of 2266, this last function had shifted to the helmsman. (TOS: \"Balance of Terror\")

On Earth Starfleet's NX class starships, navigation was handled by the helmsman. (Star Trek: Enterprise)

On Federation Starfleet vessels of the 23rd century, the navigator was a bridge officer, while the helm officer's role was usually combined with that of the tactical officer. (Star Trek: The Original Series)
By the 24th century, navigator responsibilities were once again merged with those of the helmsman to form the position of flight controller, or conn. (Star Trek: The Next Generation). It should also be noted that Data also held Navigational duties and the occasional helmsman duties aboard the USS Enterprise-D, in addition to his role as operations manager; though usually only in an emergency situation.

Dave

Staff member
Dear Phil,

As it was in the past it is apparently in the future, where the Navigator is an integral part of any Naval vessel. The navigator is responsible for plotting courses, determining the best/most efficient way to get to the ship's destination. Yes, the pilot is responsible for the actual flying/steering of the craft, but it is solely based on the information given by the Navigator.

In olden days the Navigator was responsible for ensuring that the waters they were traversing were passable for the draft of the craft. In Star Trek it is presumed that the Navigator must determine the best jump points into and out of warp speed so that the ship does not encounter such obstacles as planets, asteroid fields, etc.

In my estimation, unless they are doing tight maneuvering in unknown space, Checkov is a more important character than Sulu. And the Captain sets the speed.

C

Chazwozel

Dear Phil,

As it was in the past it is apparently in the future, where the Navigator is an integral part of any Naval vessel. The navigator is responsible for plotting courses, determining the best/most efficient way to get to the ship's destination. Yes, the pilot is responsible for the actual flying/steering of the craft, but it is solely based on the information given by the Navigator.

In olden days the Navigator was responsible for ensuring that the waters they were traversing were passable for the draft of the craft. In Star Trek it is presumed that the Navigator must determine the best jump points into and out of warp speed so that the ship does not encounter such obstacles as planets, asteroid fields, etc.

In my estimation, unless they are doing tight maneuvering in unknown space, Checkov is a more important character than Sulu. And the Captain sets the speed.
This role is elaborated on in the new movie, which is why Chechov is able to have mad beaming and gravitational singularity calculation skills, yo.

Status
Not open for further replies.