[Question] What do you fear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basic thread about what we fear, and maybe even why we fear it.

Now me? I have a specific acrophobia(fear of heights). Has anyone ever been to the Embassy Suites in New York? Well I went there a few years ago with my family and on the high up floors there are bridges...WITHOUT GUARD RAILS! Every time I walked on that horrible walk-way I just had the horrible fear that something was going to push me over! I don't know if they still have walk-ways like that, but I hope it ends soon.

1) Heights, though it's minor. I'm nervous when a plane is taking off and a few times in the air, but I'm okay for the most part. I'm hesitant on ladders.
2) Being lifted up. Discovered this one when I was in wrestling school.
3) The end of the world. I've had nightmares about this. And I have an over-active imagination. Even though I'm pretty sure nothing will happen this December, I'm still kind of scared that the world (at least as we know it) will end.

My only substantial fears relate to injury or death of my wife and children. I used to be afraid of lots of things, but now I have to be the protector.

I'm mildly afraid of swimming in the open ocean (sharks) and extreme heights (though this one can be controlled with focus).

Red-lights. Because if I miss one I'll get a ticket and if I might get a ticket and if I might get a ticket my parents might be super disappointed in me. Wait...actually I just fear my parents being disappointed in me.

Heights, I can control this a bit if there's a railing. But if not I'll not go anywhere near a cliff or such things.
Spiders really creep me out and I'm paralyzed for some by fear when I see one before I can get into anti spider action. And even then I have to overcome some seriuous issues.
Darkness, I really hate to stand in darkness. I start to hyperventilate after some time alone in a dark room and I get the creeps even outside on a relatively dark night. Somehow as soon as it is dark around me I have the feeling I'm not alone anymore. Really creepy.

I ''fear'' nothing. Literally. I have no discovered phobias, have no existential dread regarding certain aspects of life or death, and it seems unlikely that I ever will bar some major mental trauma in the future. That doesn't mean I won't get scared every now and then - jumpscares get me just as fine as everybody else - but I'm too boring to actively fear anything.

Being discovered as just making it up as I go along at work, not having any particularly useful skillsets or leadership abilities, not thinking I'm anything special and feeling like I just luck into doing a good job.

I travel a lot for work and am super paranoid about having a filthy hotel room!

I also used to be a chamber maid so I know how poorly rooms are cleaned.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Anything that involves body horror. I have no fear of ghosts or werewolves or vampires or aliens... but zombies scare the living shit outta me. I can't even consider watching The Human Centipede because the premise alone makes me gag. Anything that can lay an egg in your flesh or make your flesh melt away... Gah, I get the chills just from thinking about it.

Being discovered as just making it up as I go along at work, not having any particularly useful skillsets or leadership abilities, not thinking I'm anything special and feeling like I just luck into doing a good job.
Yeah, I fear getting outed as a fraud at work at every turn. That those above me would decide I never deserved it.

Yeah, I fear getting outed as a fraud at work at every turn. That those above me would decide I never deserved it.
There was a poll done of CEOs at major corporations across the US and they all had the same fear. Doesn't make it any less powerful, but it's common.

GasBandit

Staff member
... didn't we have this thread 6 months ago? I seem to remember one. Then Serarelm came along and claimed to be taking notes...

Hippos. THOSE BASTARDS ARE DECEPTIVE! They evolved to look silly and rolly polly to trick man into not thinking they are the 4th deadliest animal in the world. Seriously! Look it up!

I'm not very comfortable around lightning, to the point where I generally stay away from windows during thunderstorms.

I fear people finding out that I'm not nearly as smart or clever as everyone seems to think I am. This has actually lead to a fear of failure.

I fear getting lost. I get anxiety any time I have to travel someplace I'm not familiar with. Driving in a new city is nerve wracking, even with GPS.

Spiders.

One of my very early memories as a child was being told there were spiders living under the house which would kill me if they were to bite me, I kinda wonder if my fear of spiders started at this point or if it was incidental. It ramped up a notch in school when people would throw or pretend to throw spiders at me. It freaked me right hell out.

I'm not terribly fond of deep water either. I love swimming but I get to a certain point out in the ocean where I lose complete contact with the ground and I start to wonder what might be able to touch me from below which I can't quite see. It's not an outright phobia and I can push myself to swim pretty far out, but it does tend to make me feel somewhat uncomfortable.

My imagination tends to get away from me.

I fear people finding out that I'm not nearly as smart or clever as everyone seems to think I am. This has actually lead to a fear of failure.

I fear getting lost. I get anxiety any time I have to travel someplace I'm not familiar with. Driving in a new city is nerve wracking, even with GPS.
I think that statement would have been cooler if it was wearing a beard.

doomdragon6

Staff member
A small fear of heights, but only while moving directly upwards. I can be on a high bridge, travelling downwards, anything like that, and I'm fine. But if I'm in some sort of clear elevator over a large area travelling directly upwards, I'm like "Buhh?..."

Can't think of much else. My greatest insecurity is the passage of time and getting older, but I don't know if that's a fear. Insecurity sounds about right.

Cajungal

Staff member
I fear that I have nothing truly beautiful to offer the world. I fear that I'm going to share myself with the world and find out that I might as well not have, because it didn't make any difference at all. I fear being pregnant, too. I have horrible dreams about it.

North_Ranger

Staff member
I fear that I have nothing truly beautiful to offer the world. I fear that I'm going to share myself with the world and find out that I might as well not have, because it didn't make any difference at all. I fear being pregnant, too. I have horrible dreams about it.
Seej, you need not fear. You have already made a difference with your funny comments, awesome personality, ukulele playing and overall sunny, nothing-gets-me-down personality. You are a wonderful human being, and I count myself lucky having encountered you in the wide world of the internets.

Now, on pregnancy fears... I'm afraid I can't help you there :( But I can call for an expert.

Paging Doctor stienman ... :p

Now, on pregnancy fears... I'm afraid I can't help you there :( But I can call for an expert.

Paging Doctor stienman ... :p
Eep!

I fear being pregnant, too. I have horrible dreams about it.
Well I don't blame you, pregnancy fears and related bad dreams are not uncommon, and there are many aspects to it that you have every right to be scared about.

The only thing that I've noticed that helps come to terms with pregnancy and delivery is talking with other women who have gone through it. In most cases they're more than happy to talk about their experience, and almost universally things weren't as bad as they were worried about. Even if you aren't planning on becoming pregnant anytime soon, chatting about it with mothers can at least ease your fears a little.

Kind of heights. I love going on rollar coasters, but when I went to the CN tower over the summer I freaked out trying to stand on the glass floor they have in there.

Cajungal

Staff member
D'aww thank y'all. Sorry for the fishing; I was very drunk last night. Steiny, I actually don't like talking to women who have given birth. They seem very sneaky in a misery-loves-company kind of way.

They seem very sneaky in a misery-loves-company kind of way.
The sneakiest!

Our culture is still very pushy about bearing children. Women who aren't ready or not interested get constant pressure from nearly all sides, and so any conversation about the subject at all turns into a conversation about why they are or aren't having children.

And the misery loves company is kind of what it comes down to anyway. You can't sugarcoat the fact that your sharing your body for nine difficult months with your future child, that it changes you and your body in significant ways, and delivery is a painful and difficult experience. At the end of it you have a child and you don't simply make room in your life for that child, but you have to make significant sacrifices to raise them.

It is difficult, but most of them would say they wouldn't want to be rid of their child and go back to their life before. They miss aspects of their life that they've given up, but they honestly believe that they have something better now than they did prior to having a child.

But there's a lot of misery involved along with that joy, and they do enjoy company. They want to induct you into their motherhood club so they can talk about their latest dirty diaper and you will actually be interested.

Among other things.

It would be nice if they could discuss it somewhat less passionately and without trying to convince you to join them just so you can learn about it in a way that would dispell some of your fears, but I don't think it's possible for them.

Me being a man, I have the wrong perspective to answer your potential questions. But I have lived with a woman who has been pregnant for a combined total of 5 years, and attended 6 deliveries, so I have some experience in the physical aspects of it, I just can't give you the first person perspective.

Cajungal

Staff member
It's just a strange group to me in general. When I take my niece to the park and women think I'm her mom, they look at me with this weird knowing smile that makes me feel like I'm in a Gerber commercial. It's creepy.

It's just a strange group to me in general. When I take my niece to the park and women think I'm her mom, they look at me with this weird knowing smile that makes me feel like I'm in a Gerber commercial. It's creepy.
Honestly, if you want a kid, just take one of Steinman's. I doubt he'd notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.