[Comics] What Comics are you Currently Reading Thread

Because books and comics tend to have different audiences, I figured we could make a more specific thread to talk about and discuss comics we've read recently.

This week I picked up the second volume of Legends of the Dark Knight: Jim Aparo. Much like the first volume it's chock full of his and Bob Haney's Brave and the Bold (with some Detective Comics thrown in with volume 2). Not only are these books gorgeous, they're chock full of Bob Haney crazy. For those who don't know Bob Haney was a writer at DC during the silver and bronze ages, and he took the anything goes attitude of the periods and laughed at them for being to mudane and ordinary. These trades contain the comic versions of several Batman: Brave and the Bold episodes.

Mm, Jim Aparo. Arguably one of the definitive Batman artists.

I haven't been able to pick up much lately. Not since school started and money got tighter. I did, however, pick up Invincible Vol. 18: The Death of Everyone. And really, this is still one of the best superhero comics on the market.

Last edited:
There's not much I'm really following right now. Superior Spider-Man out of curiosity, but I don't buy that one. Scarlet Spider I do when I can afford it, as I think it's one of the best books out there right now. Outside of that, not much at all. Some of the Villain Month stuff I've read from DC is pretty solid, though.

Been reading The Goon like a boss, that series is CRAZY!

I finished Flex Mentallo a while ago, felt it could've been longer but it was a good read.

I got the original Edlund Trade of The Tick like a year ago, are the later non-Edlund series any good?

Been meaning to reread that DC 1,000,000 series, haven't read it since I was in Elementary school. I wonder if it'll confuse me as much now as it did back then.

Also got the trade of All Star Superman, which I am stoked to read.

Been meaning to reread that DC 1,000,000 series, haven't read it since I was in Elementary school. I wonder if it'll confuse me as much now as it did back then.
There's a brand spanking new massive hardcover omnibus coming out in November that collects (from what I understand) EVERYTHING of the 1 Million crossover. I tried posting the Amazon link but it just kept coming up blank. Anyway, search it. It's there.

Sweet!
Shiney gold Superman here I come! Not sure that needs spoilering, as it was in that Screwattack video BUT STILL!

With school and all, I haven't really had time to read anything that's not class related. Last thing I read was Preacher, which I've already gushed about in the What are you reading thread.

I will, however give another pimp to Animal Man and Swamp Thing up through the Rotworld series. They are the only thing's so far that I've found readable in the New 52. The reason they're so readable is that they could have occurred with or without the reboot. In fact, the entire White Lantern thing is the main event that sets up the rebirth of Alec Holland. It's kind of like the authors said, "Reboot? What reboot?"

With school and all, I haven't really had time to read anything that's not class related. Last thing I read was Preacher, which I've already gushed about in the What are you reading thread.

I will, however give another pimp to Animal Man and Swamp Thing up through the Rotworld series. They are the only thing's so far that I've found readable in the New 52. The reason they're so readable is that they could have occurred with or without the reboot. In fact, the entire White Lantern thing is the main event that sets up the rebirth of Alec Holland. It's kind of like the authors said, "Reboot? What reboot?"
Weren't you still high on the GL stuff, too? I know you're a big fan of the mythos in general (like me with Superman), so I was just curious.

Also, JH Williams' Batwoman series is damn good, too. There's one pre-reboot trade and then two (so far) New 52 trades.

Been reading The Goon like a boss, that series is CRAZY!
Well, you should be happy, then.

I haven't picked up a (new) comic book in probably a decade or more. I think I stopped reading them when they started getting so silly that I just couldn't suspend my disbelief any longer. Going by the storylines I remember, this was probably in or around 1988, which would also be around the time I went to live in NYC for 6 months and had no spare cash, followed by going to live in Spain for 6 months. These events may be related.

--Patrick

Weren't you still high on the GL stuff, too? I know you're a big fan of the mythos in general (like me with Superman), so I was just curious.

Also, JH Williams' Batwoman series is damn good, too. There's one pre-reboot trade and then two (so far) New 52 trades.
The only way Brightest Day effects Swamp Thing is that Alec Holland is alive again, they still keep the entire history of the original Swamp Thing, including his romance with Abigail Arcane. The comic itself doesn't even go into the reason why he's alive again.

Yes, I loved the Sinestro Corps War, Blackest Night, and Brightest Day to pieces, but I haven't gotten around to picking up the post-New 52 GL trades.

I just read episode 9 of All Star Superman, I had no idea the "Replacement Supermen" comic was part of this. I think I might actually have that issue.

Edit: And now I've finished All Star Superman, dear lord that was great. Which is hilarious, because from what I've seen All Star Batman was absolutely dreadful, with the exception of that hilarious meme spawning line.

Last edited:
I'm reading three books right now, Kurt Busiek's Astro City, Eternal Warrior from Valiant, and Deadpool.

KBAC is always a fun read, so much that is told in both art and words, a great combination of a good artist and a good writer. Eternal Warrior has only had one issue that I've received so far, and I liked the setup for what this series will be bringing. Deadpool just is, funny, quirky and just fun.

I have the first two trades of saga on my comixology app. I've been enjoying that a lot. I'm on trade like 18 of the walking dead which is still good, but I'm digging a little bit less than last time I threw myself into it.

Now, normally I'm a person who thinks that when reigned in of his....tendencies, Mark Millar can do some fun, if not exactly the most mature, stuff. Ultimates, Old Man Logan, Red Son (basically if Marvel and DC have him on a leash, he makes some readable comics). It's when he has free reign that he creates utter trash like Kick-Ass 2 (I didn't even mind the first one so much).

I'd read that Nemesis was being made into a movie, so I downloaded it and read it.

It's the worst piece of shit comic I've ever looked upon or read in my entire life. The worst piece of shit. I would rather see 20 comics of Red Mist/Mother Fucker...the worst fucking thing...raping someone for no reason other than Millar thinks it makes his comics edgy, than have to look at another panel of Nemesis. Just the most unbelievable pile of bullshit ever created. If the movie actually gets made and is true to the comics and somehow ends up successful, I may kill myself, because that'll be the last thread of my connection to humanity snipped.

If I had paid money for Nemesis, I probably would have given all my money to the nearest junkie I could find, because I know in my heart that he would be more responsible with the money than I was purchasing that carcinogenic mess.

Mark Millar is the Michael Bay of comic writers. At his best you'll get mindless shallow entertainment that can be somewhat entertaining if you just don't think about it to hard.

Zappit

Staff member
Picked up the first and second Invincible Omnibus within a month of each other, and got completely up to date now. Great, fun book.

Also been reading the two main IDW Transformers series - More Than Meets the Eye and Robots in Disguise, which are really hitting all the right notes on characterization.

The ones I read regularly are...

The Walking Dead (I heard this is going bi-monthly for a bit?)
Batman Beyond (Love it)
Chew (Though this is ether ended or is ending soon)
Mega Man (FANTASTIC for an Archie comic, just like Sonic and TMNT used to be)

What I get when it comes out...

Witch Doctor (It's House if he was Dr. Strange)
Gladstone's School for World Conquerors (They did a KS I didn't know about for series 2 and I have NO idea if I'm going to be able to get it. I've read it might be exclusive to that KS, which makes me angry.)

I need to find more stuff to read. I like All-Star Western but I'm almost certain it's going to get the axe just like Static Shock and Demon Knights did. I might check out the Harley Quinn comic when it comes out, even if they still insist on having her in the costume no one seems to like (and generally making a mess of her character). I know I want to pick up some Astro City trades too.

Also been reading the two main IDW Transformers series - More Than Meets the Eye and Robots in Disguise, which are really hitting all the right notes on characterization.
More Than Meets the Eye is just that. Crazy high level scope, lots of really interesting themes, and a genuinely entertaining cast. Sadly I've only read about 2 issues of Robots in Disguise (I have them, I'm just very behind), but I love that the Cybertronians are alien in their outlook, Not just humans in robot bodies, just the way Roberts examines the idea that they are basically immortals.

Mega Man (FANTASTIC for an Archie comic, just like Sonic and TMNT used to be)
If you want some nostalgia, IDW currently has all the comics rights to TMNT and they're publishing trades of the Archie series as Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures. There's five of them so far.

The first issue of the new Powerpuff Girls series from IDW came out last week. I enjoyed the show, and I found the comic to be pretty fun. I've found that IDW is really good with handling licensed properties, so I expect them to make the most of their new PPG and Samurai Jack books.

A local artist who's a regular at my LCS did the art for the Eggman story in issue 3. He's also doing a story in issue 4 as well.

Picked up the first and second Invincible Omnibus within a month of each other, and got completely up to date now. Great, fun book.
Actually, the latest trade just came out like last month. The one I mentioned above, Volume 18: The Death of Everyone. That follows directly after Omnibus 2.

Got the 12th Goon trade today, the first chapter was a sad Aunt Kizzie issue, and the one after it was a brilliant satire on superhero comics. Eric Powell is weird with transition.

Last edited:
Worth it just for the Newmar Catwoman art...
I love that Cesar Romero was like, "Shave my moustache? F-you, I'm not shaving my moustache!"

Also, if it weren't for Frank Gorshin, people today would be saying Riddler? who the heck is the Riddler?

I was reading the second issue of the fourth volume of Batman: Black & White (what a mouthful) today. Not as strong as the first issue, and I'm not finished, but it's fun to see the different art styles in black & white. Opening story is written by Dan Didio and if that's not enough of a turnoff it features Man-Bat and pedophilia. After struggling past that any story is going to appear good, but I've not yet hit that great story that will make me glad I picked up the book. The first issue had a couple that were good stuff, and an awful Neil Adams story, I'm hoping that issue 2 is going to be similar (issue 3 has a story by Paul Dini so I'm not worried for it). Also I'm not sure what's up with having at least 1 story that's just raw pencils scanned in. Both issues have done it so far, and I'm not a fan. Issue 1 was just Neil Adam's work uninked, this issue appears to just be straight up photographs of the boards.

Lazurus

If you're a fan of Greg Rucka's work at all, you need to buy this book. It's awesome in all the usual Rucka-y ways: strong female protagonist, some great action sequences, intriguing mystery. All the good stuff. It certainly helps that the artist on the book is just as fantastic: Michael Lark. Readers of Gotham Central will recognize him.