[Comics] What Comics are you Currently Reading Thread

IDW's Powerpuff Girls #1 and Samurai Jack #1: Both pretty good starts to a series, both showing the spirit of the cartoons they are based on. Samurai Jack fights a bunch of mutants, and the PPGs fight a bog monster while Mojo contemplates the futility of his existence- AWESOME!

Maximum Carnage: I REALLY love this comic, the action, the philosophy, the pre digital artwork, and of course CARNAGE! Dude just steals the scene, right before he brutally slashes you to death of course.

Batman #24, the conclusion to the first part of Zero Year, features the introduction of Batman. Very good issue, and Scott Snyder really knows how to write a good Batman story.

Daredevil #32, More excellent work by Mark Waid, continues to be the best book Marvel puts out every month.

Bill Willingham announced the ending of Fables yesterday, should be coming to an end in February 2015.
Should've ended years ago, before it turned into a franchise with spin-offs, mini-series, and crossovers.

I sold a bunch of movies and such recently and used the money to buy The Flash Omnibus volume 3, finishing off Geoff Johns' run. It's not as good as the previous volumes, since it doesn't have Scott Kolins on art anymore. But it does have Howard Porter, who I also like. I find the series as a whole went down a bit at this point and I think it's partly due to Porter, who's a fine artist but not nearly as suiting for the book as Kolins was.

Anyway, it's still enjoyable. Though there's a printing error near the end with some pages out of place. I've looked up online about it and it's apparently a common issue. Hopefully, I can return it to the store and get him to order a new one with the right paging.

Should've ended years ago, before it turned into a franchise with spin-offs, mini-series, and crossovers.
I will respectfully disagree, Jack of Fables was fun, Fairest has been interesting, and I've enjoyed it all. It's not often (if it has even happened before) that one person has been so much in charge of a piece of the DC Universe. I like that he's ending it on his terms, and not as a "we've been canceled" so here is a quick wrap up of several years of stories.

I will respectfully disagree, Jack of Fables was fun, Fairest has been interesting, and I've enjoyed it all. It's not often (if it has even happened before) that one person has been so much in charge of a piece of the DC Universe. I like that he's ending it on his terms, and not as a "we've been canceled" so here is a quick wrap up of several years of stories.
For one, it's not meant to be a part of the DC Universe so far as I know. Two, the reason I've supported Vertigo books is because they don't do what superhero comics do: crossovers, mini-series, and spin-offs. I can go from Volume 2 to 3 without missing anything. That's why I stopped reading Fables up until the crossover with Jack of Fables. I shouldn't have to read something else to go from volume 8 to 9 or whatever it was. When it became a franchise, not a book, I dropped it. I don't even own the ones I had anymore, either, out of disgust of the whole thing.

I loved Fables right up until the Great Fables crossover, which was like a wall of inaccessibility because I didn't read Jack of Fables and it was 99% Jack of Fables related. I haven't read it since.

All I can say is you've both missed some good stories, even with the crossover. Then again, that's why there are so many comics out there, something for everyone.

Velvet the new cold war spy series by Ed Brubaker and Steve Epting. Every bit as good as you expect from the creative team (for those who might not know who Steve Epting is, he was Brubaker's artist on his Captain America run).

http://www.theouthousers.com/index....-image-comics-look-to-stage-intervention.html

Image Comics is really putting out quality book after quality book these days. I'm afraid for my wallet when this stuff starts getting collected. Not only are they quality books from top notch creators, but they're all very diversive. And that's not even including the ones already out, like Fatale, Elephantmen, Lazarus, Chew, etc.

It really is a horrible plight on the comic book industry. Why can't more comics in the industry be like most DC and Marvel comics? You know: derivative, uninventive, event-driven drivel.

http://www.theouthousers.com/index....-image-comics-look-to-stage-intervention.html

Image Comics is really putting out quality book after quality book these days. I'm afraid for my wallet when this stuff starts getting collected. Not only are they quality books from top notch creators, but they're all very diversive. And that's not even including the ones already out, like Fatale, Elephantmen, Lazarus, Chew, etc.

It really is a horrible plight on the comic book industry. Why can't more comics in the industry be like most DC and Marvel comics? You know: derivative, uninventive, event-driven drivel.
Couldn't agree more, almost everything new that I like has come from Image lately, Saga being the standout.

Shit, I can't believe I forgot Saga. I wish I could say it was the best of the bunch, but good lord, it's so hard to choose one.

For example, you know what book I can't wait to read when it gets collected? Velvet. It's by the same creative team behind the amazing several-year run on Captain America: Ed Brubaker and Steve Epting. The guys who brought Bucky back to life and made it work AND made it one of the best Marvel comics for years. Or there's Lazarus, by Greg Rucka and Michael Lark. Anyone who's read Gotham Central knows Lark's work (and Rucka's writing). Hell, I'd say anyone who enjoyed Rucka's Checkmate series would love the hell out of this.

That said, I did say most of DC and Marvel because they are putting out some good stuff. It's just very far and few between. DC has Animal Man, Swamp Thing, and Batwoman (though that may as well be considered cancelled once the new creative team comes on). And Vertigo, of course. Marvel has Daredevil and Hawkeye. Most of the rest? Event-driven crossover crap or gimmicky bullshit.

That said, I did say most of DC and Marvel because they are putting out some good stuff. It's just very far and few between. DC has Animal Man, Swamp Thing, and Batwoman (though that may as well be considered cancelled once the new creative team comes on). And Vertigo, of course. Marvel has Daredevil and Hawkeye. Most of the rest? Event-driven crossover crap or gimmicky bullshit.
Note that all three DC titles you mentioned pretty much ignored the reboot :p

I don't know how most other books covered Blackest Night and Brightest Day, but in Alec Holland's case, it's kind of central to his whole character arc. What with the whole thing about the Swamp Thing we knew actually not being Alec, but a simulacrum, and the Life Entity bringing him back to life along with Deadman(Who is inexplicably dead again in Justice League Dark with no real mention of him having been alive again), Captain Boomerang and such.

I don't know how most other books covered Blackest Night and Brightest Day, but in Alec Holland's case, it's kind of central to his whole character arc. What with the whole thing about the Swamp Thing we knew actually not being Alec, but a simulacrum, and the Life Entity bringing him back to life along with Deadman(Who is inexplicably dead again in Justice League Dark with no real mention of him having been alive again), Captain Boomerang and such.
I wouldn't say it was central to his whole character arc. Very first issue of Swamp Thing said he was recently back to life. Boom, end of story. No need to explain why. Because COMICS. People come back to life all the time. Hell, I didn't read Brightest Day and I still understood he was back to life. Didn't need to know why.

I wouldn't say it was central to his whole character arc. Very first issue of Swamp Thing said he was recently back to life. Boom, end of story. No need to explain why. Because COMICS. People come back to life all the time. Hell, I didn't read Brightest Day and I still understood he was back to life. Didn't need to know why.
That's not my point, my point is that it just assumes the continuity is the same as it always was. Brightest day was the reason he was alive again. And when I mean his character arc, I'm not just talking post new sucky two, I'm talking about his complete character arc.

Fine, I deleted the post if people are just going to be dicks about it.

Do you people flip out like this every time you see Stan Lee?

I know Stan Lee did some shitty business stuff and screwed over the other creative genius half that gave him all of his success... but I still can't help but like him. I want him to be my grandpa!

God damn, I was thinking of posting one of those exact videos too. Every time someone brings up Stan Lee screwing Jack Kirby (or more specifically Koiby's wife) all I can think of is Roger.

I didn't think that posting some nice pictures of Bob Kane with Batman and Catwoman would cause people to flip their shit.

Though, if history has taught us anything, it's that it doesn't pay to be the guy who invents something, it pays to be the guy who markets it.

Bill Gates
Alexander Graham Bell
Stan Lee
Mark Zuckerberg

Honestly, it's an interesting discussion for me because it brings up the idea that comics are generally not a one-man creative show like, say, prose writing. And part of the reason I'm torn about hating Stan Lee is because, while he was certainly a creative man, he wasn't as creative as the artists that he worked with. You compare the sheer creative output of early Marvel before and after Kirby and Ditko left and it's almost unprecedented. You very rarely ever got iconic, household name characters again like The Silver Surfer (the character that was the proverbial breaking point for Kirby).

But he still played a role in at least some of the work at Marvel. His dialogue and bombastic narration was totally new for its time. 'Ol Stan made people feel at home reading their comics, like they were part of a family. Unfortunately, he was also the face of all PR for the company while guys like Kirby toiled away in their home, away from the public eye, doing a lot more work.

What bothers me most is that Stan Lee is a household name, known to just about everyone, while Jack Kirby is pretty much only known and revered in the comic book industry. He SHOULD have as much reverence by everyone as Stan Lee has, if not more. But Stan knew how to sell himself while Kirby wanted his work to speak for itself.

Honestly, it's an interesting discussion for me because it brings up the idea that comics are generally not a one-man creative show like, say, prose writing. And part of the reason I'm torn about hating Stan Lee is because, while he was certainly a creative man, he wasn't as creative as the artists that he worked with. You compare the sheer creative output of early Marvel before and after Kirby and Ditko left and it's almost unprecedented. You very rarely ever got iconic, household name characters again like The Silver Surfer (the character that was the proverbial breaking point for Kirby).

But he still played a role in at least some of the work at Marvel. His dialogue and bombastic narration was totally new for its time. 'Ol Stan made people feel at home reading their comics, like they were part of a family. Unfortunately, he was also the face of all PR for the company while guys like Kirby toiled away in their home, away from the public eye, doing a lot more work.

What bothers me most is that Stan Lee is a household name, known to just about everyone, while Jack Kirby is pretty much only known and revered in the comic book industry. He SHOULD have as much reverence by everyone as Stan Lee has, if not more. But Stan knew how to sell himself while Kirby wanted his work to speak for itself.
seemy previous post. this is neither new or unique to comics. a great big chunk of folks who are famous for creating one thing or another are cribbing from someone else.

The big difference between Stan Lee and Bob Kane is that Stan never tried to pretend or tell everyone that Ditko, Kirby, etc. didn't exist and had 0% involvement on Spider-Man, The Fantastic Four, etc. Don't confuse skillful promotion and business savvy with rubber stamping your name on someone else's work.