[Comics] What Comics are you Currently Reading Thread

Related, Bob Haney and Jim Aparo's Brave and the Bold continues to be some incredibly great crazy stuff. Currently reading a Batman, Mister Miracle team up where the Masked Manhunter is traveling to Egypt to investigate the the validate of a museums purchase of an ancient Egyptian tomb.

if history has taught us anything, it's that it doesn't pay to be the guy who invents something, it pays to be the guy who markets it.

Bill Gates
Alexander Graham Bell
Stan Lee
Mark Zuckerberg
You left out T. A. Edison, who is probably History's best example.

--Patrick

ThatNickGuy You should check out this week's Ask Chris. It's a great examination of DC's obsession with being Marvel comics, but there's a brief section on Stan Lee that I think was relevant to earlier discussions in this thread.

By all accounts, Mike Sekowsky was a treasure of a man and a consummate professional who could hit a deadline like a prize fighter, but his barrel-chested Justice League looks like a bunch of cardboard cutouts next to Steve Ditko’s weird spindly limbs and twisted grimaces or John Romita’s solid, romance novel cover models running around in Spider-Man. Whether they like it or not, everyone knows Marvel’s doing something different. But that’s only half of how they set themselves apart.

The other half, quite frankly, might be what made all the difference, and you can lay it at the feet of exactly one man: Stan Lee.

You can argue for hours, days even, about Lee’s proper place in history, about whether he deserves the starry eyed admiration of the general public who think he’s the sole creator of everything there was in the Marvel Universe and whose shoulders bore the monumental, nearly unthinkable task of scripting every single classic of the early days of Marvel, or whether he deserves the scorn of the Kirby and Ditko partisans who see him as a funky flash-man who attached himself like a parasite to more talented artists and then used them to catapult himself (and only himself) into the spotlight every chance he got. I think the truth of that is somewhere in the middle, but there’s one thing you can say about Lee that I don’t think anyone’s going to dispute: He’s the ultimate salesman. Lee is, to this day, a self-promoter of unfathomable skill, and in those early days of Marvel, he was in his prime.

By the way if anyone's a fan of the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles show on Nick, there's a tie in comic IDW puts out, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: New Animated Adventures, that pretty fun. IDW has a really solid handle on making comics based on licensed properties, and their work with the Ninja Turtles (or Hero Turtles for those of you in the UK) is no exception.

I've been meaning to read the new IDW comics, as well as getting the TPBs of the original Mirage comics. I just wish they sold them in cheaper volumes, things are 60 bucks each.

ThatNickGuy You should check out this week's Ask Chris. It's a great examination of DC's obsession with being Marvel comics, but there's a brief section on Stan Lee that I think was relevant to earlier discussions in this thread.
I really wish DC would cut this out. Seriously.

As I see it, Marvel and DC have always had two completely different philosophies of comic stories.

Marvel was all about the grounded human based superheroes who had complicated lives and always questioned not only their own place in the world, but the justification of their actions in it.

DC was all about a panthenon of morally upright heroes, who remain stalwart no matter how dark the world gets.

I think a lot of this has to do when the characters were created. DC's characters were forged in a time of idealism, whereas most of the Marvel heroes were born in a time of social change and upheaval.

One is about realism, the other is about idealism. And that's just fine and dandy. I'm sick of everything having to be all grimdark to be considered "adult". DC's characters simply aren't built to exist in a Marvel-type universe, and the more they try to do that, the worse the characters get.

I read the first issue of Mick Foley's WWE Superstars, set in the noir setting of Titan City. John Cena plays a former cop, released from prison after a briefcase containing 10 million dollars disappeared. Now the corrupt Authority want it back, Randy Orton seeks to defeat his opponent for District Attorney Alberto Del Rio, and C.M. Punk is working on a plan to overthrow the powers that be in Titan City. It's bananas.

Also this week's Ask Chris column is all about the Marvel and DC versions of Santa Claus. I'll tell you what it must have been a pretty clever person to come up with that question. ;)

Batman and Son: I liked it, good Batman story, and Damien was a hoot THOUGH I felt it was a bit short. Is the TPB I'm thinkin' of like a "part one" or something?

Batman: The Long Halloween I don't care anyone says I love this story. Its dark, full of red herrings, and has some WEIRD artwork that I love in any comic.

Batman: The Long Halloween I don't care anyone says I love this story. Its dark, full of red herrings, and has some WEIRD artwork that I love in any comic.
Tim Sale's definitely got a unique art style, but I love it. If you like this, he's done quite a lot of work with the same writer. They did a series of Halloween-themed Batman one-shots that are collected into Haunted Knight, as well as a direct sequel to Long Halloween in Dark Harvest. They also did a FANTASTIC Superman book called For All Seasons. To top it all off, they also did work for Marvel! Spider-Man: Blue, Daredevil: Yellow, and Hulk: Grey.

If you think Long Halloween was good? Yeah, the rest are just as good, if not better in their own ways. The team of Loeb and Sale are impervious to a bad book.

JLI volume 1: Dear lord I love 80s comics. The humor was top-notch(though apparently they weren't trying to be funny from the prologue) and its a solid intro to what is clearly a great team series.

How's the book, overall? Like in terms of both how well-made it is and how well the story holds up to 15 years of time?
The book is a nice hardcover with a well designed book jacket, and the paper is that shiny kind that doesn't degrade easily. In terms of holding up, its actually MORE relevant than it was in 98. The 860th century is a GREAT metaphor for an information obsessed society, like how when Superman does the future equivalent of turning off the internet for five minutes and everybody goes APE SHIT! You ever see that episode of South Park where the internet disappears and the world falls apart? Basically that, but TWELVE YEARS BEFORE! Grant. Freaking. CALLED IT! Chaos magic is real.

I think everyone knew it was coming, it's more the adamant NO HE'S DEAD SHUT UP's that Slott and Marvel were throwing out over the last year.

I think it was hilarious (or maybe more sad) that people were sending death threats to Slott over the thing. It's like they don't know how comics work.

This whole Spider-man stuff makes you wonder how/when DC is bringing back Damian Wayne. Clone, zombie, lazurus pit, or holy resurrection- TAKIN' ALL BETS!

My thoughts on resurrecting a character. I'm fine with it when it is planned out from the beginning. The Death and Return of Superman being an example. Reign of the Supermen is still one of my favorite DC storylines (mostly because it introduced Steel and I love me some Steel).

The Peter Parker return was obviously planned all along. They incorporated ghost Parker right from the beginning, so I'm not upset about it at all.

Examples where it's dumb: Jason Todd, Barry Allen, the umpteenth time they bring back Jean Grey, Hal Jordan, Green Goblin.

If it's a planned out and teased return, I'm cool with it, because, COMICS!

I'm still mystified by the love for Damien Wayne. Never liked him, probably never will.

Hell, Jean is back TWICE. At the same time. Past and future Jean are running around 616 right now (past is, at least, not sure if future is still there).

Well, because Beast bringing the original team to the present wasn't enough, a future X-Men team showed up to force him to send the past guys back because it caused some big nasty future. I don't know if they stuck around though.

The Wake, Volume 1

This is Scott Snyder's Vertigo book that started last year to quite a number of rave reviews. And for me, it's sort of...eh? I mean, it's good in parts, but the way the script and especially the art plays out, it was a confusing read for me. There are scene changes without any kind of segue that are so quick, I almost got whiplash a few times. The artist, Sean Murphy, is honestly not that great in many ways, either. His rough, sketchy style works for the horror aspect, but they're terrible at properly showing depth or size, which becomes especially important later on in the book. I'm confused where people are exactly at points and one character was introduced early in that I swear just popped up out of nowhere without showing them at all before.

It's...okay? I mean, the characters are good, if a bit bland, and the ideas behind the story and world building are solid. It's enough that I'll get more eventually, but I won't be in any rush. I'm scratching my head to see why this got so much praise, though.

My lack of enjoyment for the volume may also have to do with the INCREDIBLY cheap production of the book itself. It feels more like a cheap, monthly comic (even with an ad for a show on that back rather than a book backing with information and such). It's really disappointing because Vertigo is usually much better with their production value for collected editions.

I'm all caught up on the comics I've been reading! T^T Currently waiting on new volumes for:
(I don't do trades because 1) I forget to buy them, 2) They're sold out of some issues when I do remember, 3) I have a hard time storing them, 4) TOO SHORT, 5) lots of reasons. Volumes and I get along better.)

Chew - I ADORE this comic! It's hilarious, the artwork is superb, and I love all the little humorous bits in the background! Next volume out in April... :-/

Saga - I asked a friend for comic suggestions, as she's never steered me wrong before, and started this awesome story! Unfortunately, I failed to notice how new it was, and volume 3 isn't out until March. Ack!

Locke & Key - Holy crap this comic is AMAZING! Written by Stephen King's son, and it is extra creepy. I got my entire household to read this one! Next volume out in February! SOON!!! However, I believe that means the end of the series. And that just means another read-through. Ahh it's so good!

Punk Rock Jesus - I picked this one up a few months ago and forgot to read it. Now to track it down...