[Comics] What Comics are you Currently Reading Thread

Reading monthly was easy. You just read them as they came out.
Right, but the reading order being given is that you read through one book, and then the other book, which isn't the order in which they were published.

Even worse with Avengers/New Avengers based on the reading order I've seen.

The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Beats Up the Marvel Universe: finished it yesterday. There's a lot to love. There's silly humor, some sweet moments, great stuff showing why Squirrel Girl is such a fantastic character, and BOY is Ryan North as sour about some Marvel stuff as we readers. Various pages take jabs not only at current shitty event Civil War II, but also past events, such as my personal favorite comics punching bag, the Spider-man Clone Saga. He pretty much throws continuity to the wind, because even though this graphic novel takes place between issues #11 and #12, with the graphic novel referencing #11 and issue #12 referencing the graphic novel, Bruce Banner is alive, Tony Stark is still rich, etc.

I'd say the Doctor Doom arc from late last year, early this year was a funnier story overall, but the graphic novel was still a blast.

Zombie Tramp:

This...may easily be the worst thing I've ever read, and not just because the few freebies I read had an art-style clearly knocked off from Jhonny the Homicidal Maniac.

Champions #1: Really, really good. The defiance mindset against what's been going on with Marvel comics (and in the same vein the DCEU movies) fits well with the younger protagonists, who really want to be the people's superheroes.

This feels like what a superhero team book should be and yet rarely is. Getting into smaller problems, a focus on helping people > beating villains. I appreciate the conversations the kids have over what kind of roles they'd have together, and so when they actually group up, they work well as a team. Viv Vision was especially welcome as she did something I don't see heroes do very well a lot of the time--communicate calmly and directly with the people they're trying to help. That felt more like what real emergency services do. I hope it sticks with this mindset.

I'm just not looking forward to whatever editorial mandate strikes in 2017 that'll fuck up this otherwise good thing. I'd like to see this be longrunning and allowed to grow into something great.

I made an artpiece based on the next Champions cover.

I call it "Cyclops Descending Sam Alexander's Fist" and it's inspired by my hope to see Scott get repeatedly punched in the face by Nova in the second issue as part of his earning a place on the Champions team.

Now that Monster Men is over, Tom King's run of Batman is back to being excellent. I was considering trade-waiting on these now, but I can't wait that long. It's too good to wait.

Also finished volume 3 of FF, and dammit, I keep thinking it's over, but ...

Parliament of Doom! Doom! DOOM!

I LOVE CHAMPIONS. I'm surprised to see people griping on Reddit (haha, just kidding) about Kamala; this all seems in line with her last stint of character development. Between the copy arc and the Civil War II arc, she's been learning about people taking responsibility for their actions. After seeing her hero fail so miserably, trying to take charge and do better is a logical step. Really enjoyed #2's discussion on Cyclops, in relation to recent comics events, comics events over the last few years, and just letting actions speak for character.

Decided to check out Comixology Unlimited since they're having a 30-day trial, and I'm not crazy about what I'm seeing. Stuff I have, stuff I used to have, and stuff I could start reading, but would have to buy the rest later because not all of it falls under Unlimited.

I just got a Marvel Unlimited subscription and have started at the very beginning of X-Men. Silver Age is weird, man.

I just got a Marvel Unlimited subscription and have started at the very beginning of X-Men. Silver Age is weird, man.
But ... but ... foot-hands! OR hand-feet.

I just bought a year's subscription to that for my wife, because she has so much downtime at work. I'm used to being the comics expert, but in a couple months she's going to know these characters better than I do.

But ... but ... foot-hands! OR hand-feet.

I just bought a year's subscription to that for my wife, because she has so much downtime at work. I'm used to being the comics expert, but in a couple months she's going to know these characters better than I do.
That's why I bought it too! She's skipping the Silver Age though.

Yeah, hand feet is serious on Beast. But it was cool to see how early some characters we know as mainstays showed up, like The Juggernaut.

That's why I bought it too! She's skipping the Silver Age though.
Yeah, my wife is too :p.

Yeah, hand feet is serious on Beast. But it was cool to see how early some characters we know as mainstays showed up, like The Juggernaut.
I think things start to get better once Claremont enters the scene, so long as you're into Claremont.

I've mostly read 80s-current time-period X-men, tell me, how many communists have the X-men fought so far? Because judging by my essentials of Fantastic Four, Iron Man, and Spider-man I'd assume at least a few.

I've mostly read 80s-current time-period X-men, tell me, how many communists have the X-men fought so far? Because judging by my essentials of Fantastic Four, Iron Man, and Spider-man I'd assume at least a few.
Once the X-Men got popular, it became a little hard to keep track of everything they did, since they'd pop up in so many other titles. Slap Wolverine on someone else's cover, that issue would sell. So various members have probably done more individually than is reasonable to chronicle.

My wife is reading Batman: Court of Owls for the first time. Across from me, I see her slowing starting to rotate the book, so I know what part she's at. She has a cute look on her face.

It's not great or anything, and it really only servicable on Marvel Unlimited where you're not paying $4 a book for it, but the recent Deadpool is good for a laugh when you're sick or in a shitty mood like I was last night.

After a friend binge-read the whole thing on Marvel Unlimited, he's been bugging me to read Kieron Gillen's JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY. Luckily, my local library had both volumes of the complete collection.

And I've enjoyed it for the most part, I guess. I'm not in total awe of it like my friend it. Probably because the first storyarc left a bad taste in my mouth. See, JiM started during one of Marvel's events, FEAR ITSELF. The big bad that Loki and the gang keep talking about is The Serpent, some ancient evil because there's always an ancient evil. And it spends issue after issue building up this threat. Loki makes alliances with powerful beings like Hela, Surtur, and even Mephisto, in order to help take down this big bad.

Except, the pay-off is The Serpent is finished off-screen because it happened either in the main crossover event. So it's all like, "The Serpent is defeated and oh, Thor's dead now, bee-tee-dubs." I didn't even remember that event until it showed a bunch of characters being possessed by evil hammers or whatever that stupid event involved. I wondered why The Serpent wasn't being shown much.

Anyway, that was just the first 6 issues in a collection of 15 issues. It's basically Kid Loki: The Comic. And Thor gets better off-screen, too, because of course he does.

I'd probably enjoy it more if it was more self-contained like other recent Marvel titles I've enjoyed like Hawkeye, Ms. Marvel, or Squirrel Girl. Even Brubaker's Captain America run is MOSTLY easy to follow without relying on reading the crossovers.

After a friend binge-read the whole thing on Marvel Unlimited, he's been bugging me to read Kieron Gillen's JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY. Luckily, my local library had both volumes of the complete collection.

And I've enjoyed it for the most part, I guess. I'm not in total awe of it like my friend it. Probably because the first storyarc left a bad taste in my mouth. See, JiM started during one of Marvel's events, FEAR ITSELF. The big bad that Loki and the gang keep talking about is The Serpent, some ancient evil because there's always an ancient evil. And it spends issue after issue building up this threat. Loki makes alliances with powerful beings like Hela, Surtur, and even Mephisto, in order to help take down this big bad.

Except, the pay-off is The Serpent is finished off-screen because it happened either in the main crossover event. So it's all like, "The Serpent is defeated and oh, Thor's dead now, bee-tee-dubs." I didn't even remember that event until it showed a bunch of characters being possessed by evil hammers or whatever that stupid event involved. I wondered why The Serpent wasn't being shown much.

Anyway, that was just the first 6 issues in a collection of 15 issues. It's basically Kid Loki: The Comic. And Thor gets better off-screen, too, because of course he does.

I'd probably enjoy it more if it was more self-contained like other recent Marvel titles I've enjoyed like Hawkeye, Ms. Marvel, or Squirrel Girl. Even Brubaker's Captain America run is MOSTLY easy to follow without relying on reading the crossovers.
It's so hard to get self-contained stuff with Marvel, I feel. Peter David's Hulk is great ... except when it has to have a little blurb about some continuity-breaking disaster that happens off-screen, or Hulk's issue that month is part of some bigger crossover.

My wife has been reading Aaron's run of Thor on Marvel Unlimited that started in 2012. She finished issue #24, moves onto issue #25, and between those was Original Sin, so now nothing makes sense and she has to pause reading Thor to read that event before continuing.

Even Ms. Marvel's volume 4 was overtaken by Secret Wars, and then volume 6 is subtitled Civil War II, so you can guess what that's about. Marvel, please, leave them alone so they can make good things. This is why I'm just counting down issues until they fuck up Champions, because four of the six characters on the team have their own titles.

It's so hard to get self-contained stuff with Marvel, I feel. Peter David's Hulk is great ... except when it has to have a little blurb about some continuity-breaking disaster that happens off-screen, or Hulk's issue that month is part of some bigger crossover.

My wife has been reading Aaron's run of Thor on Marvel Unlimited that started in 2012. She finished issue #24, moves onto issue #25, and between those was Original Sin, so now nothing makes sense and she has to pause reading Thor to read that event before continuing.

Even Ms. Marvel's volume 4 was overtaken by Secret Wars, and then volume 6 is subtitled Civil War II, so you can guess what that's about. Marvel, please, leave them alone so they can make good things. This is why I'm just counting down issues until they fuck up Champions, because four of the six characters on the team have their own titles.
It's just another reason why I barely bother with DC and Marvel these days. Too much clutter to enjoy just one series.

Hell, crossovers ruined my enjoyment for two Vertigo books: The Unwritten and Fables. Fables was a great title until it did a crossover with Jack of Fables. Then more spin-off series grew from it to the point it became an unfollowable franchise rather than just a great Vertigo book. I loved the hell out of The Unwritten until it had a crossover late in the game with....FABLES. For fucks sake.

So I picked up the third volume of Garth Ennis' Punisher MAX run. In one story, Punisher walks into a police station with a fake police ID.

And I'm thinking, "What the fuck? He's surrounded by New York cops. How many times has his face been plastered on case reports, on the news, etc? Surely SOMEONE would be like, "Holy shit, that's Frank Castle! Freeze!"

Last edited:

fade

Staff member
Injustice

Wow, a video game tie in comic is better than a lot of the mainstream DC universe stuff I've read lately

Decided to read Crisis on Infinite Earths and just wandering...WHY couldn't Monitor just use Raven? I mean...Psycho Pirate betrays them in the SECOND fucking issue. You see the guy talk for FIVE seconds about madness like a weird mix of Scarecrow and Joker, and you know he's gonna screw you over. Monitor would be all "Bla bla bla, fate, bla bla" and I'm just like "Dude, you live in an INFINITE MULTIVERSE, logically alternate timelines could be possible!"

EDIT: And if it was to make Killer Frost play nice-nice...he WAS aware there were less CRAZY ice villains in the DC multiverse, like Captain Cold for example! For a guy who has COMPLETE knowledge of all that is and ever was, he sure as hell is short-sighted.

Last edited:
Batman Rebirth: I am Gotham

Well...shit.
Poor, poor, Gotham Girl...also I only got to see Psycho Pirate in his classic costume from afar-WHAT THE HELL?!

Batman Rebirth: I am Gotham

Well...shit.
Poor, poor, Gotham Girl...also I only got to see Psycho Pirate in his classic costume from afar-WHAT THE HELL?!
The end of this is some of why I love Bruce Wayne. He doesn't have to do what he's going to do; what happened isn't his fault or his responsibility. He puts himself out there and wants to help because he's a genuinely good person.

Agreed, and in that it is a REALLY good tragedy dear lord,
two new supes at the top of their game, going through the PROPER channels in job shadowing Batman...and their career is cut short by an attack by...admittedly the wimpiest villain in the DC canon(I say that with love of course).
I can't wait to get the rest of the issues to see how it concludes, especially to see-HUGO STRANGE'S STUPID FACE GET PUNCHED IN!

Agreed, and in that it is a REALLY good tragedy dear lord,
two new supes at the top of their game, going through the PROPER channels in job shadowing Batman...and their career is cut short by an attack by...admittedly the wimpiest villain in the DC canon(I say that with love of course).
I can't wait to get the rest of the issues to see how it concludes, especially to see-HUGO STRANGE'S STUPID FACE GET PUNCHED IN!
Well, it's nowhere near concluded yet, but I'm in the same boat, eager for the next issue every couple of weeks.

Motor Girl by Terry Moore.

First issue, b&w super clean artwork. Samantha (Sam) and Mike are the main characters, Sam is a late-twenties/early thirties female mechanic in a junkyard, and her companion Mike is a large speaking gorilla, that may be nothing more than coping mechanism to deal with Sam's past in the military. Terry, as always, gives his characters depth and are usually more than they first appear. Some philosophy, a quick visit by Libby, and a possible UFO visit later we have the start of another Terry Moore series.

Moore does mention in the back of the book that this series was his original idea for a follow-up to Strangers In Paradise.

BananaHands

Staff member
Can Civil War II just end already? Please?

Oh - and Clone Conspiracy too. Let's just wrap that up.

Death of X was boring and predictable. And now we have Inhumans vs X-Men on the way. Please stop.

Marvel is killing me lately.

Can Civil War II just end already? Please?

Oh - and Clone Conspiracy too. Let's just wrap that up.

Death of X was boring and predictable. And now we have Inhumans vs X-Men on the way. Please stop.

Marvel is killing me lately.
Civil War II will be over in December (though technically the rest of the comics have moved on). Clone Conspiracy still has a bit to go. And yeah, Inhumans vs X-Men is just getting fucking started. Monsters Unleashed is in January. Fuckin' unreal. I'm going to try hard not to buy the Monsters Unleashed Champions tie-in, because I'm sick of this crap.

On the flipside, older Marvel stuff is still A+. I've started Ed Brubaker's run of Daredevil on Marvel Unlimited and I'm loving it.