[Comics] What Comics are you Currently Reading Thread

BananaHands

Staff member
Civil War II will be over in December (though technically the rest of the comics have moved on). Clone Conspiracy still has a bit to go. And yeah, Inhumans vs X-Men is just getting fucking started. Monsters Unleashed is in January. Fuckin' unreal. I'm going to try hard not to buy the Monsters Unleashed Champions tie-in, because I'm sick of this crap.

On the flipside, older Marvel stuff is still A+. I've started Ed Brubaker's run of Daredevil on Marvel Unlimited and I'm loving it.
You should check out The Vision if you haven't already. You get to see where Viv started out and it's a great glimpse at all history with Vision. Also, Superior Foes of Spider-Man.

It's insane because I used to be such a die-hard marvel fan, but all these events and tie-ins have worn me out. DC Rebirth has been great and I used to never have any DC pulls, now I'm pulling a majority of DC.

Civil War 2 is STILL going on?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE COMIC BRANCH OF MARVEL ENTERTAINMENT, A SUBIDIARY OF THE WALT DISNEY COMPANY?! I know the head-dude's wife donated a bunch of money to Trump, but other than that I don't know.

BananaHands

Staff member
Civil War 2 is STILL going on?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE COMIC BRANCH OF MARVEL ENTERTAINMENT, A SUBIDIARY OF THE WALT DISNEY COMPANY?! I know the head-dude's wife donated a bunch of money to Trump, but other than that I don't know.
Honestly, the only saving grace of this god-forsaken event is the fact that Nick Spencer has Hydra Cap covering all the plot-holes up with schemes.

Seriously - I know how mad this board was at Hydra Cap. But god damn if that series isn't amazing.

You should check out The Vision if you haven't already. You get to see where Viv started out and it's a great glimpse at all history with Vision. Also, Superior Foes of Spider-Man.

It's insane because I used to be such a die-hard marvel fan, but all these events and tie-ins have worn me out. DC Rebirth has been great and I used to never have any DC pulls, now I'm pulling a majority of DC.
I've read Vision volume 1; volume 2 comes out in two weeks and I'll be getting it that day.

BananaHands

Staff member
Any context to why he's commenting on it this way?
I'm assuming it's either because of the state of the X-Books now where a lot of people believe that Marvel is trying to shove the X-Men in a corner due to movie rights OR because X-Men fans are a complicated bunch that will never be happy with any decision ever.

I'm assuming it's either because of the state of the X-Books now where a lot of people believe that Marvel is trying to shove the X-Men in a corner due to movie rights OR because X-Men fans are a complicated bunch that will never be happy with any decision ever.
Got it. As to the former, rumor right now is that Marvel vs Capcom 4 will be kicking mutants to the curb, so I can't blame him going there, but I don't think Marvel would be announcing all these titles if they weren't trying to have the mutants around a tiny bit. Unless it's as a last hurrah. The latter ... yeah, nothing to be done there.

Got it. As to the former, rumor right now is that Marvel vs Capcom 4 will be kicking mutants to the curb, so I can't blame him going there, but I don't think Marvel would be announcing all these titles if they weren't trying to have the mutants around a tiny bit. Unless it's as a last hurrah. The latter ... yeah, nothing to be done there.
Are they really going to get rid of Wolverine, and all the other recognizable X figures? Just to spite Fox? Now wouldn't that be something.

The running theory is that - at least in the comics - Marvel has been trying to push The Inhumans to more prominence while pushing the X-Men back. And that's been evident by seeing less and less X-Men involved in major crossovers in favour of The Inhumans. X-Men are basically in their own little world. I think I've posted a few times where someone in marketing has gone as far as to remove the X-Men from merchandise they were previously on. Like a t-shirt with a cover from the original Secret Wars series.

There's been the rumour this is largely due to Ike Permutter's bitterness that Marvel can't get the X-Men rights back from Fox. It's the same "Fuck you" attitude as to why there isn't a Fantastic Four title right now and why them and X-Men have been pushed away for the most part (exceptions being The Thing joining Guardians of the Galaxy and Dr. Doom still having prominence at times).

EDIT: Here's an article discussing some of this:
http://www.cosmicbooknews.com/conte...er-came-head-during-captain-america-civil-war

BananaHands

Staff member
The running theory is that - at least in the comics - Marvel has been trying to push The Inhumans to more prominence while pushing the X-Men back. And that's been evident by seeing less and less X-Men involved in major crossovers in favour of The Inhumans. X-Men are basically in their own little world. I think I've posted a few times where someone in marketing has gone as far as to remove the X-Men from merchandise they were previously on. Like a t-shirt with a cover from the original Secret Wars series.

There's been the rumour this is largely due to Ike Permutter's bitterness that Marvel can't get the X-Men rights back from Fox. It's the same "Fuck you" attitude as to why there isn't a Fantastic Four title right now and why them and X-Men have been pushed away for the most part (exceptions being The Thing joining Guardians of the Galaxy and Dr. Doom still having prominence at times).

EDIT: Here's an article discussing some of this:
http://www.cosmicbooknews.com/conte...er-came-head-during-captain-america-civil-war

Same with the Fantastic Four.

It's also worth noting that since Ike has been pulled off Marvel films, Inhumans now have a TV show instead of a movie.[DOUBLEPOST=1480532288,1480532170][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, @ThatNickGuy what do you think of the Rebirth Supes? I just read his annual.

It's pre-New 52 Supes in the New 52 world wondering why everyone is so edgy.
Yep, which is why I'm not interested. It's not his world. It's also mired in events and crossovers and other company-wide nonsense like Convergence.

Maybe it IS good. Maybe it's great.

I won't read it.

BananaHands

Staff member
Yep, which is why I'm not interested. It's not his world. It's also mired in events and crossovers and other company-wide nonsense like Convergence.

Maybe it IS good. Maybe it's great.

I won't read it.
Fair enough. The twist, h0wever, is that it IS their world but with 10 years worth of moments stolen from it by what we're assuming is Dr. Manhattan.

So, give it the two years until the first big Rebirth event and we'll have that world back.

As much as I love my Rebirth comics, and I mean that...that is a REALLY stupid explanation, like insanely stupid. Its like how Doomsday is a bad-ass super-villain, but has the DUMBEST of origins.

Fair enough. The twist, h0wever, is that it IS their world but with 10 years worth of moments stolen from it by what we're assuming is Dr. Manhattan.

So, give it the two years until the first big Rebirth event and we'll have that world back.
Nick has heard this stuff from at least a half-dozen people trying to get him to read it. It's not really a twist when it's the start of the story and he read the one-shot from May. At this point it's just annoying him, FYI.

Also, the first Rebirth event starts next month with Suicide Squad vs Justice League, and then we're getting a smaller event in March when it turns out the extra Clark Kent may actually be ...

the return of Superboy Prime

FAIR POINT![DOUBLEPOST=1480562823,1480562766][/DOUBLEPOST]
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! That is the OPPOSITE of what this universe needs!
Like Banana said, the end goal of this seems to be bringing back the pre-New 52 universe. Warts and all.

I think it'd be better to have the history back in spite of problems. I'm reading 52 right now and it's a damn shame most of this has been wiped from continuity, even temporarily.

Yeah, that's another reason I don't want to read DC these days: them forcing Watchmen into the mix. Ugh. Just leave it the fuck alone, DC. The running theory for the identity of that mysterious dude in the Superman books is Ozymandias. Which only gives me more reason not to read it. I adamantly do NOT want Watchmen part of the proper DC universe. But that's what we're getting.

Also, for the record, I read Rebirth (the one-shot that launched all this). I don't like Wally being back because to be honest, he had a good send off. Barry comes back and Wally shuffles off-screen to be with his family. That was a good, happy ending in my opinion, for the character. And now he doesn't even have that, undoing all the character development he had. Apparently he remembers Linda, but that's it.

Last edited:
Also, for the record, I read Rebirth (the one-shot that launched all this). I don't like Wally being back because to be honest, he had a good send off. Barry comes back and Wally shuffles off-screen to be with his family. That was a good, happy ending in my opinion, for the character. And now he doesn't even have that, undoing all the character development he had. Apparently he remembers Linda, but that's it.
Wally remembers everything. He, Superman, and Lois are the only three who remember everything from pre-Flashpoint.

Personally I'm looking forward to January's issue of Titans where Wally and Clark will meet up; seems like that'll be a point where the Rebirth storyline moves forward.

BananaHands

Staff member
Nick has heard this stuff from at least a half-dozen people trying to get him to read it. It's not really a twist when it's the start of the story and he read the one-shot from May. At this point it's just annoying him, FYI.

Also, the first Rebirth event starts next month with Suicide Squad vs Justice League, and then we're getting a smaller event in March when it turns out the extra Clark Kent may actually be ...

the return of Superboy Prime
Oh, I thought that Super-Bro was going to be him.

Ugh. Justice League vs Suicide Squad? Please no. I refuse to believe that Zod didn't just mow them all over when they ran into each other, can't wait for Superman to job to Katana's magic sword. :pud:

Oh, I thought that Super-Bro was going to be him.

Ugh. Justice League vs Suicide Squad? Please no. I refuse to believe that Zod didn't just mow them all over when they ran into each other, can't wait for Superman to job to Katana's magic sword. :pud:
Well, it starts with them against each other, and then I think develops into the Justice League being (rightly) pissed at Waller and taking her to task, and then apparently there's a villain to all this that (potentially) the two teams will unite against. It's going to essentially be dealing with the elephant in the room of the Suicide Squad's existence in a Justice League world and then moving along, which is why its six issues are all being released in December and January, and tie-ins will only be for those months' issues of Suicide Squad and Justice League, so if you don't read either of those, it won't trouble you.

BananaHands

Staff member
Well, it starts with them against each other, and then I think develops into the Justice League being (rightly) pissed at Waller and taking her to task, and then apparently there's a villain to all this that (potentially) the two teams will unite against. It's going to essentially be dealing with the elephant in the room of the Suicide Squad's existence in a Justice League world and then moving along, which is why its six issues are all being released in December and January, and tie-ins will only be for those months' issues of Suicide Squad and Justice League, so if you don't read either of those, it won't trouble you.
Has Justice League gotten better? It kind of started off slow. Lanterns has been fun as hell though.

And at least DC knows how to do an event. Fucking Marvel's 5 month long events with EVERYTHING having to tie into it is exhausting.

Wally remembers everything. He, Superman, and Lois are the only three who remember everything from pre-Flashpoint.

Personally I'm looking forward to January's issue of Titans where Wally and Clark will meet up; seems like that'll be a point where the Rebirth storyline moves forward.
I thought he didn't remember his kids, just Linda?