"What are you reading?" thread.

My mom was looking for a book to read last month for her flight home, so I lent her our copy of Steelheart. She liked it! Now I must continue her slow indoctrination into the world of Sanderson.

My mom was looking for a book to read last month for her flight home, so I lent her our copy of Steelheart. She liked it! Now I must continue her slow indoctrination into the world of Sanderson.
I'm not sure it's a good idea to give someone a slow indoctrination into Sanderson. That's just giving him more time to write ludicrously thick books. Your mom will never catch up!

Welp, I finished reading/listening to The Count of Monte Cristo yesterday. That was...whew, that was an epic journey, all right. 46-hour audiobook. Even though I sped the narration up to about x1.45, it was still about 30 hours.

But I quite enjoyed it. For most of it, I thought it dragged. All the side characters - while well fleshed-out - felt like they were just dragging the story along. I kept saying, "No no, just go back to the Count!"

But then about two-thirds of the way through the book, everything started falling into place. All the puzzle pieces came together. I realized how intricate Edmond's plan was and why all those side stories were important. They made every payoff to his revenge all the more satisfying.

Damn fine read/listen. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm taking a break from long epics for a while and enjoy some shorter books. I have several classic children's books that I think I'll read/listen to, including some of Ronald Dahl's work.

SW:Aftermath

I haven't read a SW book since SoME or the Thrawn series. This book is pretty bad. It started off okay, but the writing is quite poor. Maybe it's for h.s. kids? I really don't like when the author tries to make analogies to Earth things like chess or a sparrow. It takes me out of the book. I'll finish it off soon, and get back to a Bosch novel.

Gonna read the Red Rising trilogy for probably what is now the forth or fifth time in the two years since I discovered it. The first is great but the other two are really where the series so far shines. There's a lot wrong with the books as a whole but I just keep going back to them.

Okay, so this isn't 100% the right thread, but it's the nearest there is... I'm almost half-way through unpacking my library, and I'm facing some challenges - categories aren't always clearly delineated, really. However, sometimes I can just Ask the Author.
@ThatNickGuy: would you say the Dill books are Science Fiction, Fantasy, Great Literature, or non-fiction? I can easily make a case for three of them, n-f might be a bit more far-fetched :D
IMG_20170328_211956.jpg

Okay, so this isn't 100% the right thread, but it's the nearest there is... I'm almost half-way through unpacking my library, and I'm facing some challenges - categories aren't always clearly delineated, really. However, sometimes I can just Ask the Author.
@ThatNickGuy: would you say the Dill books are Science Fiction, Fantasy, Great Literature, or non-fiction? I can easily make a case for three of them, n-f might be a bit more far-fetched :D
Do you have a section for GREATEST LITERATURE OF ALL TIME? It'd have to be above Great Literature, of course.

But no, seriously, I'd say Sci-Fi. That's generally where you find all superhero stuff.

Do you have a section for GREATEST LITERATURE OF ALL TIME? It'd have to be above Great Literature, of course.

But no, seriously, I'd say Sci-Fi. That's generally where you find all superhero stuff.
Well, "Great Literature" gets the likes of Odysseus, Arthur Dent, Tom Jones, Long John Silver, Huckleberry Finn, and Frankenstein - plenty of heroes throughout history, and would also have made good company for the World's Greatest Armadillo Detective ;)

The Collapsing Empire, Scalzi's latest book. It was enjoyable, and one of the characters uses "fuck" like comma, both in words and deeds and I love her.

GasBandit

Staff member
The Collapsing Empire, Scalzi's latest book. It was enjoyable, and one of the characters uses "fuck" like comma, both in words and deeds and I love her.
I should start reading Scalzi books again. I read Old Man's War, Ghost Brigades and Last Colony, but lost interest in the middle of Zoe's Tale and never picked up more.

I should start reading Scalzi books again. I read Old Man's War, Ghost Brigades and Last Colony, but lost interest in the middle of Zoe's Tale and never picked up more.
I hate Zoe's Tale, but the next two books are basically collections of short stories and anything with Harry Wilson is awesome.

Also, just to be clear, this book is not in the Old Man's War series.

Reading through It for the first time cause of the trailer and I'm a sheep. But also cause @Zero Esc mentioned it's his favourite book. Not very far yet but I'm having a hard time putting it down.

Last edited:
Reading through It for the first time cause of the trailer and I'm a sheep. But also cause @Zero Esc mentioned it's his favourite book. Not very far yet but I'm having a hard time putting it down.
That's good to hear, because classically the first 100 pages are the long stretch to get through before the book really starts.

That's good to hear, because classically the first 100 pages are the long stretch to get through before the book really starts.
I'm about a 3rd through so far. Stanley is currently recounting his brush with It to the group.

You're ahead of me on this re-read of mine. Richie's just gathering up Bev and Ben to go to the movies, still in denial.
It's been a treat seeing kids written like people if that makes sense. I grew up with these kids, these were my friends. I'm not saying I believe we were the characters but beyond the murderous deadly force plaguing them, much of their passing time in the barrens mirrors my own junkyard childhood hangouts with the neighborhood kids. The movies was another big one for me as well. Ben's crush and haiku hit home hard.

I have a feeling that the similarities are gonna taper off as I continue but it's certainly helped root the book for me.

It's been a treat seeing kids written like people if that makes sense. I grew up with these kids, these were my friends. I'm not saying I believe we were the characters but beyond the murderous deadly force plaguing them, much of their passing time in the barrens mirrors my own junkyard childhood hangouts with the neighborhood kids. The movies was another big one for me as well. Ben's crush and haiku hit home hard.

I have a feeling that the similarities are gonna taper off as I continue but it's certainly helped root the book for me.
I think a lot of writers write kids the way they view kids instead of remembering how it felt to be a kid. King understands better, at least in this book.

fade

Staff member
Journey to the Center of the Earth

I haven't read this since I was a kid. I didn't catch on at the time how much casual sexism is in books of this era.

Galactic Patrol

The fun thing about old SF is mixed in with all the high technology is the sudden appearance of primitive - by today's standards - tech & outdated scientific theories.

The Shepherd's Crown

Maybe it's because of what's going on in my life, but I cried a little when
Granny Weatherwax died

Galactic Patrol

The fun thing about old SF is mixed in with all the high technology is the sudden appearance of primitive - by today's standards - tech & outdated scientific theories.
Yeah, like in H. Beam Piper's "Fuzzy" series, they've got realtime audio/visual communications via viewscreen, contragravity, aircars capable of Mach 3+, spaceships that can enter hyperspace and a lightyear in a matter of hours... and computers that use analog dials and switches and magnetic tape reels.

I'm currently reading The Princess Diarist by Carrie Fisher.

Since the end of the semester I 've finished:
the last book in the Riyria Revelations series by Michael J. Sullivan which blew me away.
the 2nd & 3rd books in The Greatcoats series by Sebastian de Castell. I was disappointed enough in the 3rd book that I decided I'm not reading book 4.
Three Little Words by Ashley Rhodes-Courter because it was recommended to people who are interested in being a court appointed special advocate (CASA).

I'm waiting on Assassin's Fate by Robin Hobb which I hope my library gets before fall semester starts.

The last few years, I basically finish a book, read the Red Rising trilogy again and then start a new one. Super pumped for Iron Gold in January.

I think I've probably read through the whole thing at least 4 times now.

Last edited:
Been re-reading the Harry Potter stuff for a light relaxing into sleep nighttime routine. Unfortunately I find myself getting irritated at the movies for gutting so much of the important stuff from the books. Like Peeves the Poltergeist, he was so much a part of the school that it feels wrong to have left him out.

Been re-reading the Harry Potter stuff for a light relaxing into sleep nighttime routine. Unfortunately I find myself getting irritated at the movies for gutting so much of the important stuff from the books. Like Peeves the Poltergeist, he was so much a part of the school that it feels wrong to have left him out.
The more interesting thing is that the earlier games kept him in. I'm betting that's because they based themselves on the book versions, not the movie versions.

And now for something completely different; I recently purchased a commentated copy of the Daodejing. It's not really a book you tend to read for fun, but the commentary is very insightful and helps to explain a lot of the more obscure phrasings. I'm glad to have it.

I just picked up A Wrinkle in Time on recommendation from a friend.

The title suggests to me that time travel is involved but i'm told that it's actually space travel.
X

Currently on book 2 of the Foundation Series. I've never read it before but my dad suggested it was 'must read' for sci-fi lovers.
Thus far I'm enjoying it, makes me want to play Aurora 4x and Stellaris again.. which makes me want to re-read the Red/Green/Blue Mars series again.

I just picked up A Wrinkle in Time [...] The title suggests to me that time travel is involved but i'm told that it's actually space travel.
It's both. Sorta.
Currently on book 2 of the Foundation Series. I've never read it before but my dad suggested it was 'must read' for sci-fi lovers.
I wish all the Foundation books were as good as the earlier ones.
Nightfall and Fantastic Voyage could be next if you've not had enough Asimov by then.

--Patrick

K I'm gonna stop trying to be subtle by casually name dropping it here. Someone else read the Red Rising series so we can talk about it...:mad:

K I'm gonna stop trying to be subtle by casually name dropping it here. Someone else read the Red Rising series so we can talk about it...:mad:
I've tried, twice. Furthest I've made it was the third or fourth chapter of the first book.