What are you playing?

Chained Echoes came out today. It's free on Gamepass or like 20 US dollars on Steam. I'm a couple of hours in and I'm having a really good time so far. Also, there's a mini festival one of your characters visits at the beginning and you can bet on turtles. This is unedited (the game has been entirely orchestral and no spoken dialog to this point). You can also pet the dogs and annoy the cats.

10/10

figmentPez

Staff member
Battle Chef Brigade
This is a match-3 puzzle game meets 2D side scrolling platform beat-em-up. The plot is fantasy Iron Chef anime. Basically you kill monsters to gather ingredients, which then serve as the gems you match by stirring them around in your pans (grid). I'm loving it. The art is beautiful, the voice acting is charming, the gameplay has some variety with pre-made puzzles, and speed cooking (with no ingredient gathering).

The problem is that competing ramps up my anxiety, even though I've yet to fail, and I've read that you just get to try again. But I've also read there's a big difficulty spike. I'm not sure why I'm so worried about getting stuck in this game.
So, more than two years later, I finally finished Battle Chef Brigade. Finally got my anxiety low enough that I could face it again. That and I watched a Let's Play on YouTube, so I knew that if I failed I just got to retry a match until I succeeded. The characters may talk a lot about how many eliminations before competitors are out of the competition, but that's not a gameplay mechanic. The plot insists that The Iron Stomach be undefeated.

This game is fantastic, it deserves a sequel and an animated series.

I'm not sure if the difficulty spike got patched out, or if I'm just good at the strangely specific skills necessary. Probably the former, with the amount of changes this game seems to have gone through since it was Kickstartered. The guides on the internet are mostly from outdated builds, and even the Let's Play I watched had major differences from what I played.

I was playing on normal difficulty, and I won all the cooking competitions on my first attempt, right up until the final boss, and that only took two attempts. The Let's Play I watched, from Let's Game It Out, failed their first match in chapter 3 out of 6, and had to replay quite a few matches multiple times.

Anyway, I was really glad to finally get my mental health under control enough to finish this game. Maybe I'll be able to make some progress in Anarcute next.

@Tinwhistler

I feel like this is a milestone of some sort. for the first time ever, my party has exceeded one googol base DPS.

View attachment 43151

Oh and I have 2.88e17 Torm's Favor, but this run is earning me 1.18e18 so far (and counting).
This may seem like a dumb question, but is the only way to open the shop, or chest menu, or anything else on this screen? I can't seem to find a way to do anything from the campaign map.

I've played a lot more Chained Echoes and it's basically everything I've ever wanted out of a throwback JRPG. It does have some nasty gamebreaking bugs though (which is probably the result of the game being 99% built by one person). Once they get ironed out this game is going to be stone cold classic to everyone who likes the genre. There's 15 save slots. USE THEM ALL.

I finaly downloaded Nobody - The Turnaround. It is a chinese lifesimulator. Start broke and work yourself up. You cant buy it legally anymore since the middle of november, because apparently it has problems working with older versions of windows and they took it of steam till it is fixed. I dont really believe that reason.
At the beginning of the game, sectors of the game are not accesible because of the Zero Covid policy. I believe some official got offended.

Other than the bugs, the one major thing about Chained Echoes I wish the one-man German developer had help with was translating into English. It's MOSTLY fine but there's some real wonky wording and some random German just thrown in at times. Also, the random out of place swearing (I think the thing that earned the game an M-Rating) is really not necessary, nothing about the game or semi-dark story really warrant anything above a T. The story has gone from mid-hearted Chrono Trigger/Final Fantasy into pure Xenogears with resurrections and Gods that are actually something else and fate and shit, so the pure JRPG cheese I'm here for.

I'm still enjoying it now that I've gotten used to the sometime absolutely brutal combat. Another feature I like is that instead of having billions of easy random battles, there's only a handful in each area and they can be quite difficult. You can't just mash A and get through most combats alive, you must use your full skillsets to take out enemies. To counter the battles being tough, you're refreshed to full after each fight. UNLIKE I think every single JRPG ever made, this one has difficulty settings. You can change the enemy aggressiveness, the size of the overdrive bar (the main battle mechanic) and enemy stats so if you want to just mash buttons to breeze through combat you can, but it's not as fun in my opinion.

PS: I know it's weird calling a game made by a German dude a JRPG, but it's the style of the game.

Last edited:

figmentPez

Staff member
I'm about to start playing Psychonauts 2! Despite the original game being one of my top 3 of all time (you get to collect figments!), I've put off buying the sequel because I've had so many other games to play.

Well, I won a Twitter giveaway from GOG.com!
GOG Black Friday contest winnner 2022-12-13 092519.png

Psychic adventures, here I come!

I'm also interested in Dorfromantik. My computer doesn't meet the minimum system requirements for A Plague Tale: Requiem, though.

I'm about to start playing Psychonauts 2! Despite the original game being one of my top 3 of all time (you get to collect figments!), I've put off buying the sequel because I've had so many other games to play.

Well, I won a Twitter giveaway from GOG.com!
View attachment 43208

Psychic adventures, here I come!

I'm also interested in Dorfromantik. My computer doesn't meet the minimum system requirements for A Plague Tale: Requiem, though.
I've played Dorfromantik. It's chill.

figmentPez

Staff member
Update: I hit a wall and this game is badly suffering from either having been a F2P game when it was being developed, or taking way too much influence from F2P games. Leveling up your characters is locked behind collecting duplicates in your roster and promoting them to higher ranks by combining duplicates. My characters are currently too low level to have even a chance of progressing on in the story, but to level them up I'll need to get higher ranked characters, so I'm just stuck waiting for daily/weekly tasks to get enough of the various currencies to gamble on random character drops. I have no idea how long it will take to get enough to progress. I figure at least a week, and probably multiple weeks.

The developers don't seem to know that they can't get any more money from me. There's no microtransactions in the game.

It's also frustrating that the most enjoyable game mode can only be played once a day. There's a Slay the Spire-esque mode where you travel down a branching path, battling enemies and gathering upgrades as you go. My first experience with this Portal mode was really thrilling. I was collecting characters that I didn't have, who were at much higher levels than my main party, and the balance felt great. One I hit the first level cap, though, Portal mode dropped to merely fun. Finding characters along the path became a poor option, since they weren't dramatically higher in level, and didn't have any equipment. So fighting enemies and getting an upgrade became an objectively better, but more boring, option.

I'm not sure why Portal mode is limited to just one run a day, since the rewards are really crappy, and it'll take me weeks more to be able to buy anything with the special currency you earn in that mode.

This game would have been a lot better if it had dropped almost everything else and revamped Portal mode as the main attraction.

As it is, I'm not sure how long I'll keep up with this. I would have liked to have finished the story mode, but I'm not going to do a daily grind for weeks just to experience a crappy non-canon story that doesn't fit into the universe at all.
Update the second: Giving up on this because the developers can't break out of the F2P economy mindset.

The game recently ran into multiple major bugs. One was the game freezing during a group boss fight thing, while the other was a major glitch in the rewards system that caused random players to get so many of a certain type of resource that redeeming it would crash their game and glitch out their save file. So the developers locked out the portion of the game that was broken, then they locked out access to the inventory so that players couldn't redeem the massive stacks of stars they have, but that also locked out everyone from redeeming normal amounts, too.

So, for weeks this already drip-feed of resources was further reduced. The devs had no time-table, because they need to go through app stores to push a new version of the game, and it's the holidays, understandable, but they also didn't give players any bonus resources in the meantime.

Today the patch came out, the group boss fight is still broken, part of the progression system is still broken, but the inventory is back up. The resources they gave to make up for the inconvenience? 1,200 diamonds and 10,000 Club boss tokens. Enough to buy 4 completely random character tokens with the diamonds (which are most likely to be trash that can't even be used to promote good characters), and not even a quarter of a piece of equipment for a character with the Club boss currency.

That's not an apology, that's a fucking insult. I'm going to see how far I can get before I hit the next difficulty spike, because I like the dopamine hit of numbers going up, and then I'm deleting this game and not putting up with stingy developers.

I can't remember if I've said this on Halforums before, but it's really ironic to me that Netflix made a name for themselves by letting people binge TV shows, which had previously been drip-fed to audiences. Now they're trying to get into the mobile games market, by stripping games of all the mechanisms that let people binge them, and making them drip-feed only. Granted, I have no desire to spend thousands of dollars to be a whale binging on a mobile game, but holy shit Netflix, let me binge your games.

--

That said, I just realized I never posted about: Before Your Eyes which is a genuinely good offering from Netflix's collection.

The game uses blink detection as the major way to interact with the game. You play a deceased soul on their way to the afterlife, who reviews the story of their life before facing some kind of gatekeeper/judge. As you watch scenes from your life you can look around, and then blink to interact with the environment. At various points the game will warn you that your next blink will advance time, whether you want it to or not.

The voice acting is great, the story is engaging, and the blink interactions are put to some genuinely good use. I'm someone who blinks a lot, so I struggled at points, and even had to put the game down and let my eyes stop burning, but I enjoyed the game despite that.

If I ever end up with a PC copy of this game, I'll definitely replay it. I think it would benefit from a larger screen.

Subnautica received a big update to bring over some base pieces and QoL features from its sequel/expansion Below Zero, so I started up a new playthrough.

The new power indicators on your tools in your inventory and hotbar are nice, this allows you to see how much power is left in all your tools at a glance. The tweaks to the seaglide's interface is also welcome. The most prominent new base piece, the big room, is exactly what it sounds like: a big rectangular room that can hold a bunch of stuff. It's cool, though I like how it doesn't fully supplant any other base piece. For example, the original multipurpose room still has its uses. Other QoL tweaks like pinning recipes to your screen, pings being always visible at the edge of your screen, and making certain items more useful are also nice. And apparently there are performance improvements and bugfixes, though I haven't really seen a major difference there.

All in all, these changes are not major, but they are welcome nonetheless. If anyone's thinking of diving back in for another playthrough, now would probably be a good time.

Fuck man, Chained Echoes gets comically dark at points.

I met a race of cute bird people on a floating island while trying to find out my own mystery. Their people honor their word above all else, an oath is sacred and every further generation is expected to honor any oath taken by a previous one. The big super power foreign church had once saved their village from monsters and they had sworn an oath to the church. Yadda yadda generations pass and they find out the church was behind the attack so they get their revenge expelling the church from their island. And then because they broke their oaths, the whole village commits suicide.

checkmate Klingons.

But out of all THAT misery, I get an adorable owl knight named Egyl who did I mention is completely adorable (he's a hard core Knight, it's way late in the game but he feels like our Frog stand-in).

WELL I am about...HALF way done with Hades I think? God damn getting all the bonds takes a million years, and that GOD DAMN lyre.

Taking a break, because it's kind of consumed my soul.

I have also been playing Hades, since the trailer for the sequel reminded me that it was in my list of games I need to play.

I am bitterly disappointed that less than 40% of players have the achievement for petting Cerberus 10 times. That Good Boy should be petted before every run people! (If he's in the House at the time).

Hades is there with Star Control 2 and Fallout 1 and 2 as games I wish I could be neuralized to forget. That couple of weeks of just gorging on Hades was some of the best gaming experiences I've ever had and I would love do that over again in a heartbeat.

It's weird that Super Giant is making a sequel instead of a whole new game, which was always their MO, but I can't wait for the sequel.

The Witcher 3 Remastered

Playing this on PS5 for the first time to change things up. I've beaten this game in full (expansions and all) I think three times. So this will be my fourth. And goddamn, it's still a great game.

Graphically, I'm not sure if I really notice the difference. But I like some of the new gameplay options. Using signs is much quicker now with basically a quickfire options. It takes some getting used to, but it's great in combat. I also did the brand new mission that was made for this edition and it's great.

So yeah, breaking news: The Witcher 3 is still a good game.

GasBandit

Staff member
I think I got lucky and cracked 300 once on a run, but have been in the mid 200's on most of them.
Another first tonight - my characters... just ran out of levels to buy. All 9 characters, max level. Grinding stabilized out on round 501 after that, with 8 familiars mashing ultimates. The downside is, the favor meter is now only increasing linearly instead of exponentially. Which means I think I've capped out the "grand tour of the sword coast" and I might as well finish off the plots and start grinding the next adventure.

Did pretty good on this month's time gate though - picked up 5 characters - Brig, Shandie, Dhadius, Nerys, and Viconia. Got Lazaapz in the winter fest bonuses. But I don't think I can come up with a better formation than the one I've got, which massively leverages Warduke's OP nature by pumping him full of chaos and positional abilities. Nobody else comes within e06 of his damage. Gonna let this one run overnight just to make sure I've milked it good, then I'll knock out all the missions I've been putting off. Then get started for real on Tomb of Annihilation, which I've only dabbled in previously.

Another first tonight - my characters... just ran out of levels to buy. All 9 characters, max level. Grinding stabilized out on round 501 after that, with 8 familiars mashing ultimates. The downside is, the favor meter is now only increasing linearly instead of exponentially. Which means I think I've capped out the "grand tour of the sword coast" and I might as well finish off the plots and start grinding the next adventure.

Did pretty good on this month's time gate though - picked up 5 characters - Brig, Shandie, Dhadius, Nerys, and Viconia. Got Lazaapz in the winter fest bonuses. But I don't think I can come up with a better formation than the one I've got, which massively leverages Warduke's OP nature by pumping him full of chaos and positional abilities. Nobody else comes within e06 of his damage. Gonna let this one run overnight just to make sure I've milked it good, then I'll knock out all the missions I've been putting off. Then get started for real on Tomb of Annihilation, which I've only dabbled in previously.
how do you get more than one character on the time gate? I ran it, and got the character I chose, but then it seems to be about re-running for chests and then free play.

GasBandit

Staff member
how do you get more than one character on the time gate? I ran it, and got the character I chose, but then it seems to be about re-running for chests and then free play.
I had 12 time gate pieces saved up. The first time gate is free, and you run that one 3 times to get the character and enough gold chests to fully gear them up.

Then you prematurely close the time gate, convert your favor, then you can open another one by spending time gate pieces. Usually, during a time gate opening event, some champions will be available for half off (3 instead of 6).

You can open a time gate at any time for 6 pieces, but I think they only open for 3 during a scheduled time gate event. Also I think I got Shandie out of a code, not a time gate, my mistake.

So I got one character from the free time gate, did all 3 missions to get the chests, then reopened and completed 2 more time gates for 3 each and then one for 6, and now I'm out of time gate pieces >_<

Also I wouldn't bother doing free play on a time gate mission - converting mystra favor over to a different flavor of favor never seems to get me as much favor as just running a mission normally would have done. Doesn't seem like a good use of time.

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
Here's my lineup, and rationale -

Front rank: Warduke. Chaotic Evil
Insanely overpowered character. Deals massive damage and one of the best tanks in the game for soaking damage, and every hit he takes applies a multiplier to his damage (as well as every attack he makes). AND HE CLEAVES UNLIMITED TARGETS WITH NO DAMAGE DROPOFF. "Drawn to Power" applies a multiplier to his damage for every positional ability affecting him, stacking multiplicatively (which is insane). Usually I can get this number to 9, 10, sometimes 11 effects - typically topping the bonus off somewhere between 1e07 and 1e08 damage multiplier. "Chaos Reigns" applies a bonus, stacked multiplicatively, for every chaotic-aligned champion in the formation, of which I have 5. The bonus for evil characters (if I'd chosen evil alignment instead of chaotic) is 5 times higher per character, but I only have 2 evil characters to run that fit the meta, and 100^5 is more than 500^2. By a lot. And what makes it all work out is his Chaotic Inversion ability that inverts the area of every positional effect in the party.

Second rank top position: Orkira - Chaotic Good
Burning hands deals huge damage in a medium AOE cone and applies a debuff that makes the targets affected take more damage, stacking up to 10 times. When the baddies start stacking up in front of the Warduke... whuf. Lesser Restoration is pretty decent healing, often a bit tricky to use because it normally only affects characters NOT adjacent to Orkira... but Warduke inverts this. Putting Orkira right behind Warduke means now Warduke has a reliable healer, and it counts as a positional affect.

Second rank bottom position: Makos - Neutral Evil
Helps with decent damage in the early to mid game while Warduke is getting spooled up, and his inverted (same deal as Orkira) Dark Blessing dramatically increases damage of Warduke... and counts as a positional affect, increasing the damage of Warduke.

Middle rank top position: Tyril - Neutral Good
Moonbeam increases damage of all champions, but gotta keep Tyril on the edge of the formation for it to work well. Also his Druidic Healing is inverted to heal people NOT adjacent to him (IE, Warduke) and counts as a positional affect, say it with me now, increasing the damage of Warduke. The healing itself isn't great, but the damage boost is.

Middle rank middle position: Penelope - Chaotic Good
Debuffs any enemy she hits to take WAY more damage if you have a lot of Good-aligned characters in the party, which I do. When anyone in the party comes under attack, she does positional healing healing (heals and buffs Warduke) and damage buffing for every champion depending on how many are around her, hence putting her right in the middle for best effect. Also she gets a really powerful knockback that trivializes boss waves.

Middle rank bottom position: Evelyn - Neutral Good
Divine Prayer increases damage of all champions behind HA HA WARDUKE SAYS IN FRONT of Evelyn. Which is also a positional affect, which further boosts Warduke's damage.

Fourth rank top position: Stoki - Lawful Neutral
In addition to positional effects that end up buffing Warduke's damage more, she also can get enough marks of ki put on the enemy stack in front of warduke that using Ki Explosion starts doing massive damage (pictured in previous post).

Fourth rank bottom position: Calliope - Chaotic good
Positional effects that (inverted) that, once again, double dip on boosting Warduke's damage. Also the temporary HP shield from Song of Protection comes in handy.

Last rank: Widdle - Chaotic Neutral
It was hard to give up Celeste, as that reliable healing is quite a crutch that is easy to get used to, but Widdle makes it worth it - her (inverted) vampiric gaze increases the damage of those (not - Warduke) adjacent to her, which again, double dips on multiplying Warduke's damage. Additionally, "Hurry Up Now" means anyone affected by vampiric gaze (Warduke) has a 25% chance to immediately reset their attack cooldown after attacking (lots of free attacks for Warduke).

So, as things stand, Warduke is doing an INSANE amount of damage -

1671438096443.png

... and whenever he comes under attack he gets healed for 1.69e04 HP per round (double that, if he isn't full HP, thanks to Orkira), and he has 3.51e05 max HP, and Calliope usually refreshes a 1e05 damage buffer on him before it even has a chance to run out. I've got his feats set up so that it takes 30 enemies attacking him simultaneously to overwhelm him, and even then, he can still tank amazingly.

And remember, the BUD (Base Ultimate Damage) which determines the damage of your ultimates is based on the highest single target hit damage done recently. So even though nobody else is holding a candle to Warduke for ordinary damage... their ultimates benefit from his overpoweredness. Hence me stacking all my familiars on the ultimate buttons in the late game.

Last edited:
Also I wouldn't bother doing free play on a time gate mission - converting mystra favor over to a different flavor of favor never seems to get me as much favor as just running a mission normally would have done. Doesn't seem like a good use of time.
Yeah, the in-game FAQ says the Mystra favor converts at a ratio that's "much smaller than normal events"

Here's my lineup, and rationale -

Front rank: Warduke. Chaotic Evil
Insanely overpowered character. Deals massive damage and one of the best tanks in the game for soaking damage, and every hit he takes applies a multiplier to his damage (as well as every attack he makes). AND HE CLEAVES UNLIMITED TARGETS WITH NO DAMAGE DROPOFF. "Drawn to Power" applies a multiplier to his damage for every positional ability affecting him, stacking multiplicatively (which is insane). Usually I can get this number to 9, 10, sometimes 11 effects - typically topping the bonus off somewhere between 1e07 and 1e08 damage multiplier. "Chaos Reigns" applies a bonus, stacked multiplicatively, for every chaotic-aligned champion in the formation, of which I have 5. The bonus for evil characters (if I'd chosen evil alignment instead of chaotic) is 5 times higher per character, but I only have 2 evil characters to run that fit the meta, and 100^5 is more than 500^2. By a lot. And what makes it all work out is his Chaotic Inversion ability that inverts the area of every positional effect in the party.

Second rank top position: Orkira - Chaotic Good
Burning hands deals huge damage in a medium AOE cone and applies a debuff that makes the targets affected take more damage, stacking up to 10 times. When the baddies start stacking up in front of the Warduke... whuf. Lesser Restoration is pretty decent healing, often a bit tricky to use because it normally only affects characters NOT adjacent to Orkira... but Warduke inverts this. Putting Orkira right behind Warduke means now Warduke has a reliable healer, and it counts as a positional affect.

Second rank bottom position: Makos - Neutral Evil
Helps with decent damage in the early to mid game while Warduke is getting spooled up, and his inverted (same deal as Orkira) Dark Blessing dramatically increases damage of Warduke... and counts as a positional affect, increasing the damage of Warduke.

Middle rank top position: Tyril - Neutral Good
Moonbeam increases damage of all champions, but gotta keep Tyril on the edge of the formation for it to work well. Also his Druidic Healing is inverted to heal people NOT adjacent to him (IE, Warduke) and counts as a positional affect, say it with me now, increasing the damage of Warduke. The healing itself isn't great, but the damage boost is.

Middle rank middle position: Penelope - Chaotic Good
Debuffs any enemy she hits to take WAY more damage if you have a lot of Good-aligned characters in the party, which I do. When anyone in the party comes under attack, she does positional healing healing (heals and buffs Warduke) and damage buffing for every champion depending on how many are around her, hence putting her right in the middle for best effect. Also she gets a really powerful knockback that trivializes boss waves.

Middle rank bottom position: Evelyn - Neutral Good
Divine Prayer increases damage of all champions behind HA HA WARDUKE SAYS IN FRONT of Evelyn. Which is also a positional affect, which further boosts Warduke's damage.

Fourth rank top position: Stoki - Lawful Neutral
In addition to positional effects that end up buffing Warduke's damage more, she also can get enough marks of ki put on the enemy stack in front of warduke that using Ki Explosion starts doing massive damage (pictured in previous post).

Fourth rank bottom position: Calliope - Chaotic good
Positional effects that (inverted) that, once again, double dip on boosting Warduke's damage. Also the temporary HP shield from Song of Protection comes in handy.

Last rank: Widdle - Chaotic Neutral
It was hard to give up Celeste, as that reliable healing is quite a crutch that is easy to get used to, but Widdle makes it worth it - her (inverted) vampiric gaze increases the damage of those (not - Warduke) adjacent to her, which again, double dips on multiplying Warduke's damage. Additionally, "Hurry Up Now" means anyone affected by vampiric gaze (Warduke) has a 25% chance to immediately reset their attack cooldown after attacking (lots of free attacks for Warduke).

So, as things stand, Warduke is doing an INSANE amount of damage -

View attachment 43273

... and whenever he comes under attack he gets healed for 1.69e04 HP per round (double that, if he isn't full HP, thanks to Orkira), and he has 3.51e05 max HP, and Calliope usually refreshes a 1e05 damage buffer on him before it even has a chance to run out. I've got his feats set up so that it takes 30 enemies attacking him simultaneously to overwhelm him, and even then, he can still tank amazingly.

And remember, the BUD (Base Ultimate Damage) which determines the damage of your ultimates is based on the highest single target hit damage done recently. So even though nobody else is holding a candle to Warduke for ordinary damage... their ultimates benefit from his overpoweredness. Hence me stacking all my familiars on the ultimate buttons in the late game.
So, I've mostly stayed away from Warduke, because his inversion screwed with my very noob ideas for formations and I haven't taken the time to really learn the various formation abilities well enough to know what inversion would really do for me.

Of course, I don't have the heroes you have yet (though I did have enough time shards to pick up Widdle and Orkira), so reading over your rationales, and trying to apply those theories to the heroes I do have, I went back and did a Free Play of the Cursed Farmer. So far, I've been using the *many* potions I've picked up from all those electrum chests, but I recognize that those are a limited resource that will eventually become scarce. That said, my mid-200's run was using potions of fire (because 600 seconds of BUDs makes a pretty damn fine one-shot kill up until that wall).

This time, using Warduke and trying to utilize as many positional slots as I could and taking inversions into account, I got 8 incoming positionals on Warduke, and got to 243 without anyone even getting within melee range of Warduke, using only gold and speed potions. It was kind of nerve-wracking to watch everyone else being ineffectual on the damage, only to have Warduke swoop in and cleave one-shot a bunch of enemies, so I let it ride without going into the potions menu to boost stuff.

By 270, lots of enemies were clustering up around Warduke, but Tyril was keeping him healed, so I still let it ride. Gelatinous cube at 275 party wiped me, so I popped a fire breath potion to see how much further I could push with it. I also started judiciously using the ultimates...that flame tongue sword of his really ups the damage. And when the BUDs are up, Orkira's phoenix is a killer. Of course, everything started falling like dominoes again, for a short while.

Finished out on 307 for a 345% increase in Torm's favor, so I think the new ideas are working out..thanks for the insight! :D

GasBandit

Staff member
So, I've mostly stayed away from Warduke, because his inversion screwed with my very noob ideas for formations and I haven't taken the time to really learn the various formation abilities well enough to know what inversion would really do for me.
One thing to remember, is that the inversion is a programming inversion (a logic NOT applied to every target slot), not a common sense inversion. So, if a character's ability is "boosts damage for champions in the row in front" it does NOT mean the inversion is "boosts damage for champions in the row behind," it means "boosts damage for all champions NOT in the row in front" - including champions 2 rows to front. It's easiest to see this effect with Tyril, who will then be constantly pulsing heals on everyone NOT ajacent to him - including himself, because he is not adjacent to himself.

Unfortunately, this does render some of my previous favorite characters unusable in the Warduke meta - Cattie-brie's positional ability is "boosts damage of everyone in front of her" which inverts to "everyone in the same rank or behind her" so she only affects Warduke if she's in the same rank as him... which is not an ideal place for her, glass cannon that she is. Which is too bad, because her high single target damage and damage debuffs make her a boss-murderer. It's just as well Vlahnya is in the same bench seat as Warduke, because his inversion would similarly make her useless.

If you do get a formation that has more than one front rank, I recommend Arkhan the Cruel as your secondary tank. His damage is middling at first, but the more people attacking him, the more he cleaves, until he starts breathing AOE fire for 25x damage to pretty much the whole enemy group on screen. And he's VERY tanky and can take a lot of punishment and has high overwhelm value. He can also copy positional effects affecting adjacent allies that don't reach him normally. His downside is his damage isn't great in most circumstances and his "ultimate" is kind of lackluster.

For some reason, I got Orkira almost immediately after getting the game (I don't remember how), and I never went back to Bruenor. Orkira is just MUCH more useful. Bruenor is actually a rather lackluster character (as is Drizzt, tbh)

I recommend when you get enough time gate pieces, you do try to pick up Penelope. She's a middling character for most things, but her ultimate is glitched (I think) that, when paired up with a warduke boosted to the levels I outline, makes it an instant kill even on boss enemies. The down side of that is that the glitch-kill also removes most of the gold you'd get for killing everyone in its radius of effect.

Also, bear in mind to spend some of your influence on permanent buffs - especially those that would affect Warduke (IE - "all hero damage" buffs, "human damage" buffs, front rank damage buffs, etc). But never spend more than 33% of your favor, or you'll nerf your gold gathering rate. IE, the game shows you unspent and spent favor, the former should always be at least 2x the latter.

Last edited:
So in my second playthrough of Stellaris (technically it's probably my fifth or sixth, but I abandoned some of them when it became clear I was gonna get destroyed), I decided I'm gonna try to play nice with my neighbors. No genociding, no unnecessary wars, I'll leave you guys alone if you leave me alone. I'll even let you guys get away with trying to claim my systems, it's ok, just don't start nothin'.

This was going fairly well. My closest neighbor was an empire of roughly equal strength to mine, and they were on fairly cordial relations with me. Sure they didn't fully trust me or like me, partly because we shared a border and they wanted some of my systems, and partly because our empire ethics and policies were somewhat different, but I had an envoy over there doing his best to improve relations by being all diplomatic and stuff. I also had another envoy in their territory setting up a spy network so that I wouldn't be caught unaware if they did decide to try something bad.

And then ironically one of my envoys (can't remember which one now) was caught by the other empire doing something bad. Apparently local law enforcement was now coming after my envoy, and I had the option of either letting them have him, or recalling him back to my empire. I went for the second option, but this caused my relations with this alien empire to suddenly suffer a huge hit. Something about "sheltering murderers". Apparently empires don't like it when ambassadors do bad things and then run home.

Virtually overnight they started building up their fleets, claiming my systems, and parking their forces at systems bordering mine.

1671506090087.png

Whelp, guess we're wiping out our neighbors once more!

So in my second playthrough of Stellaris (technically it's probably my fifth or sixth, but I abandoned some of them when it became clear I was gonna get destroyed), I decided I'm gonna try to play nice with my neighbors. No genociding, no unnecessary wars, I'll leave you guys alone if you leave me alone. I'll even let you guys get away with trying to claim my systems, it's ok, just don't start nothin'.

This was going fairly well. My closest neighbor was an empire of roughly equal strength to mine, and they were on fairly cordial relations with me. Sure they didn't fully trust me or like me, partly because we shared a border and they wanted some of my systems, and partly because our empire ethics and policies were somewhat different, but I had an envoy over there doing his best to improve relations by being all diplomatic and stuff. I also had another envoy in their territory setting up a spy network so that I wouldn't be caught unaware if they did decide to try something bad.

And then ironically one of my envoys (can't remember which one now) was caught by the other empire doing something bad. Apparently local law enforcement was now coming after my envoy, and I had the option of either letting them have him, or recalling him back to my empire. I went for the second option, but this caused my relations with this alien empire to suddenly suffer a huge hit. Something about "sheltering murderers". Apparently empires don't like it when ambassadors do bad things and then run home.

Virtually overnight they started building up their fleets, claiming my systems, and parking their forces at systems bordering mine.

View attachment 43285

Whelp, guess we're wiping out our neighbors once more!
"Looks like genocide is back on the menu, boys!"

figmentPez

Staff member
I finished playing Psychonauts 2

Holy damn, this game is amazing. Game sequels tend to fare better than movie sequels, but this one isn't just an improvement, it knocks it out of the park. It feels like a continuation of the first game, but it does almost everything better. The story, the handling of real world psychological issues, the balance between cartoony humor and realistic emotion, the pacing, and more are all improved compared to the original.

I think it's a testament to the art design of the original game that this sequel, released 16 years and two-ish console generations later, looks like my memories of the original game, keeps the same quirky design, and improves on it to the point of being jaw droppingly beautiful at points.

Psychonauts 2 colorful concert _ 2022-12-21.jpg

Psychonauts 2 library book tree _ 2022-12-18.jpg

Psychonauts 2 van chapel _ 2022-12-18.jpg

Psychonauts 2 quilted forest _ 2022-12-21.jpg

These screenshots don't do justice to what the game looks like in motion.

The game does a fantastic job of having call-backs to the original, without outright repeating itself too much. There are many levels with similar elements to the original (it's clear that quite a few people working at Double Fine are theater kids and theme park fans), but nothing feels like an outright repeat. The two games share a fairly consistent visual language with many of the same thematic elements, but each are distinct in how they use them.

Thankfully there is no "Meat Circus" in this game. There isn't any insane spike in difficulty, and while the game doesn't do anything innovative in it's mechanics, the surprises it has in store when it comes to visuals, and story are well served by the solid, tried-and-true, platforming.

My one complaint is the way the game handles it's one type of equippable items, pins. You get 3 pin slots, and that includes both purely cosmetic pins, and ability/stat upgrades, making the player choose between having abilities that look the way they want, and having added functionality. Just let me have rainbow colored punches without having to give up the increased pickup range! There is no good reason to make a player choose between cosmetics and function in a single player game. Especially when some of the pins have such limited effect that I never bothered equipping them, ever. I have no idea what the creators were thinking. The original game didn't limit the cosmetics like this.

Overall, Psychonauts 2 is one of the best games I've played in a long time, and I highly recommend it. The original is in my top 3 favorite games of all time (alongside Grim Fandango and Planescape: Torment) and this one just might take the original's place on the list.

Chained Echoes ending might be up there with Mass Effect 3 in how badly its turned me off the game.

I have zero interest in the sequel it's supposedly priming you for.

To compare it further to Mass Effect 3, think if during the ending of Mass Effect 3 Shepard tells Kai Leng he gives up and Kai Leng is the hero now. It's left me so sour that I don't even think I could recommend it despite loving (most) of the rest of the game.