What are you playing?

GasBandit

Staff member
I was watching somebody playing on Ultra Violent and making good use of it. I think it's more effective there because enemies have more health and you need the bigger burst to drop things quick.
I *am* playing on Ultra Violence. It's shiiiiiiiiiit. I'd rather use the regular shotgun because at least then the grenades can instantly handle cacodemons.

fade

Staff member
I've played Divinity Original Sin a good bit lately. I like the fights, but the story is kind of trite and a little boring. Even the side quests are pretty cliché. Also I don't particularly care for the amount of tedious searching required to advance the story. It feels like the authors consider this a challenging puzzle, but when the solution is just searching, well, I'm just going to Google it. For example, finding the lich's body. Yeah, everyone keeps making perception hints to you. I get it. I need high perception. But then the boring part is you have to find the exact section of wall and get right up next to it, even with a god-like perception. That's tedious, not fun. Or the weresheep. Okay put some kind of plant near some kind of tree in the phantom forest. There are what 20 or more plant types and the phantom FOREST is full of trees. Tedious. But the battles are a little chess-like, and they're not pushovers like most CRPG fights, so it's got that...
I know I'm late to the party on this game, but by the way, if you play it, the most OP skill you get is Teleport, and it's a novice skill. It's easy to forget you have it. But it lets you layout the battlefield the way you want early on, and later it makes bosses and elite bad guys a piece of cake.
E.g. near lava? Teleport for 30000 HP of insta-damage. Fighting Cassandra? TP Arhu out of his open topped cage, and he one-shots her. The game practically tells you this. Arhu is her natural enemy, and he keeps trying to hit her. Plus he says something when you TP him, which means it's expected. From what I understand, that's the Enhanced Edition. The original version let you do it but it bugged out and you had to unlock the cage after the fight anyway. The demon that has Jahan's soul? That's a hard fight...except there's a jail cell in the middle of the room with an open top. Teleport everyone in there and go kill the support healers at your leisure. Then teleport the demon back out and wail on him with your fighter. Dead. Seems like they set the board up for teleport often.

I know I'm late to the party on this game, but by the way, if you play it, the most OP skill you get is Teleport, and it's a novice skill. It's easy to forget you have it. But it lets you layout the battlefield the way you want early on, and later it makes bosses and elite bad guys a piece of cake.
E.g. near lava? Teleport for 30000 HP of insta-damage. Fighting Cassandra? TP Arhu out of his open topped cage, and he one-shots her. The game practically tells you this. Arhu is her natural enemy, and he keeps trying to hit her. Plus he says something when you TP him, which means it's expected. From what I understand, that's the Enhanced Edition. The original version let you do it but it bugged out and you had to unlock the cage after the fight anyway. The demon that has Jahan's soul? That's a hard fight...except there's a jail cell in the middle of the room with an open top. Teleport everyone in there and go kill the support healers at your leisure. Then teleport the demon back out and wail on him with your fighter. Dead. Seems like they set the board up for teleport often.
But if you play on the mode with smart AI, they'll do it back to you.

I know it may only be me, but Iceborne is still awesome. I’m working on the Guiding lands and i just got some critical boost and since almost all my hits are critical :D

I really tried but when I opened it, it crashed and would never open again. Regardless of how many times I reset the computer, no matter what I did, nothing worked. That was on my last PC and I've yet to try on this but I have like 400 fucking games on PC alone at this point. If I can't just turn the thing on and start playing I don't care anymore.

Last edited:
I downloaded and started up Stellaris, then went, "I'll come back when I have the time and motivation to learn all of this."

Thus far, the time and motivation have eluded me.

Dave

Staff member
I always feel like I want a complex space 4x and then I try to play one and they are just never for me.
Only one I've ever been able to play is either one that I used to play on the AMIGA (can't remember the name) or MOO & MOO2. That's Masters of Orion. Great games.

Dave

Staff member
So on the topic of what I'm playing. Path of Exile. Started a character and he's no into the second chapter, but I fucked up. It was a REALLY good build! I was kicking names and taking ass. Just rolling through things that weren't super bosses. And then Delirium came out. My build did not take any of the Delirium stuff into account. But the devs gave us a one-time total respec which I used after finding a build online that was a lot like my current one.

It sucks and sucks huge. I'm squishy as fuck. I die to trash mobs while doing decent damage. It's just a completely shit build and if you know PoE when your build is not viable this late in the game you're just screwed.

So I guess I get to nuke this guy and start again with a new character.

Resident Evil 2 remake

Wow, I do not like Mr. X.

And it's funny how Capcom makes you think something is going to go the way it did in the original RE2 and then NOPE, more trouble for you, sucker!

I wouldn’t know how to do that.
I'm not sure *I* know how to do that!
Fortunately* I kept some older machines** so I can play older stuff.

--Patrick
*Ha ha "fortunately" why is there no room in my basement
**Older Macs, older PCs, older consoles, even a couple tube TVs really where did my basement go

--Patrick
**Older Macs, older PCs, older consoles, even a couple tube TVs really where did my basement go
You need to go all in for a proper basement.

If I was going to go all-in, I'd have to figure out how to remove all the asbestos and cover over the dirt floor with something a little less permeable. I cringe to think what the humidity is doing to my collection, but I really have no other options that don't cost a ton of money and time.

--Patrick

--Patrick
My collection is my Nintendo stuff. I have the original including duck hunt gun in the basement and multiple DS/3DS (including one with a GBA game slot) and this bad boy:

021AE37C-99EE-43FF-9223-C73823F029F5.jpeg

Man, I was looking through my Gog and Steam libraries, and I've noticed a bunch of games I thought about but never ended up playing...And now I suddenly see I own them! Must be from some packs or other. So now I'm trying to decide. Force Unleashed? Force unleashed II? Secret of Monkey Island (modern edition)? Tropico 5? Dragon Age: Origins? Anno 1503/1602/1701/1404?

So I'll leave it up to you guys! First come, first decide! (No guarantees I'll actually finish or play more than a few hours)

Man, I was looking through my Gog and Steam libraries, and I've noticed a bunch of games I thought about but never ended up playing...And now I suddenly see I own them! Must be from some packs or other. So now I'm trying to decide. Force Unleashed? Force unleashed II? Secret of Monkey Island (modern edition)? Tropico 5? Dragon Age: Origins? Anno 1503/1602/1701/1404?

So I'll leave it up to you guys! First come, first decide! (No guarantees I'll actually finish or play more than a few hours)
Dragon Age: Origins is one of those games I have such fond memories for, but I can probably never replay, because I bought it retail on disk and then lost the disks, and I don't feel like getting Origin. So I vote DA:O.

The Battle of Ostagar is one of my most favorite cutscenes ever.

Dragon Age: Origins is one of those games I have such fond memories for, but I can probably never replay, because I bought it retail on disk and then lost the disks, and I don't feel like getting Origin. So I vote DA:O.

The Battle of Ostagar is one of my most favorite cutscenes ever.
I'm pretty sure DA:O predates origin and is on steam. Unless origin was patched in as required DRM later.