What are you playing?

GasBandit

Staff member
My dad sometimes uses it to watch football on the Quest as well.
Yeah. I love using it even if I'm by myself, just to have my own personal IMAX theater. Though, since I moved into the new house, got a new TV, and a La-z-boy recliner... I find myself watching there more often than at my computer :p

Damn, I finally passed Avalanche by Memme, but ScoreSaber isn't working for me so my score didn't get recorded. I feel like it's probably going to be a while before I can finish it again :/

Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime is a fun couch co-op game, but it's really hard if you don't have at least three people. (IMO)

Have any of you Sword and Shield players found Gigantamax Butterfree yet?

We’ve been running around the wild area doing tons of raids with no luck.
I might have one you can have. Will need to check when I get home.

Though it does occur to me, mine, if I do have it, is likely lvl 60 and you won't be able to control it until you finish all gyms if that matters.

Last edited:
Divinity: Original Sin.

So far I've killled a couple of guards despite not wanting to, and I've achieved a Total Party Kill by digging up a grave. Seems like fun. Anyway, most information I can find is either a complete walkthrough with all secrets for all options and everything, which I'm not looking for, or about D:OS2, which isn't terribly helpful.
I've made a mage (Wizard stereotype) and a fighter (Knight stereotype), only changing one or two traits because I didn't care much for dealing extra damage when low HP, and figured talking to animals would be more fun. So far nothing terribly interesting yet, but at least somewhat funny.
Any recommendations for skills/traits/whatever to absolutely avoid, or to very definitely take? I'm not looking to absolutely minmax but knowing myself I won't play through 5 times, so I don't like being locked out of too much gameplay or story.

Been diving into Crossout. Up to level 8 so far. It’s grindy but entertaining, and I recommend it to anyone who might have previously enjoyed vehicular combat in Borderlands, Empyrion (sorta), Mechwarrior (sorta), Twisted Metal, or even Autoduel.

—Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Ok, I'm pretty good at Killing Floor 2... but I don't know if I'm quite good enough to deal with THIS.

That's a Cthulhu Fleshpound, right there.

Over the holidays I acquired and subsequently finished Star Wars Fallen Order. I had a lot of free time since we did not visit family or go anywhere, so don't think it is really short (though it is kinda short if you don't do a lot of backtracking to unlock as much as possible). It's fun. If you like Star Wars AND Dark Souls, you'll love it.

Things I really liked.
  • The puzzles were mostly interesting. They repeated on occasion, but not enough that they got boring and none of them were overly taxing to figure out.
  • Combat was a lot of fun. Even the Stormtroopers posed a bit of a threat if you were careless. This is not like the Force Unleashed games where the troopers would fall down if you glanced at them. The tougher enemies posed a significant challenge even later in the game and would use tactics to evade your Force powers or otherwise use what you were doing against you. Bosses are seriously tough and require a good bit of strategy to beat.
  • The abilities you unlock through the game are all useful. I don't think there was one of them that I got and then regretted not getting something else instead.

My gripes on it are small nitpicks mostly.
  • The digitized actors kinda pulled me out of the story at times. Mostly because they are that person, from that thing, that I can't quite put my finger on. You know, THEM.
  • Multiple times in the game, I would get to a point in a level where it would not be obvious to me where I should be going. I would look around for a puzzle or obvious exit but find nothing. And then I'd see the small crack that you have to push through (seriously, there is at least 1 in every level) or some seemingly impossible jump that requires a specific trick to do. It sometimes required me to look around and just try leaping to my death a couple of times before I'd figure something out.
  • The story was very convenient, I will explain more in spoilers
    You start on a planet that is ship breaking old Republic Cruisers from the Clone Wars era. Cool and all, but then you have to use the Force to save your friend from death by falling into a giant Sarlacc (seriously, why have a shipyard OVER TOP of a Sarlacc pit?). Just after you do this, Sith Inquisitors show up looking for the Jedi that was reported mere minutes earlier. You escape by getting rescued by a former Jedi who just happened to be monitoring the Imperial channels and also just happened to be in the area. Said former Jedi just so happens to have been the Master of the lead Inquisitor and is wracked with guilt about losing them, etc. Even with Star Wars' general "No such thing as luck" when regarding The Force, I thought this was all extremely coincidental and that my mentor/the former Jedi was going to turn on me at any moment and reveal they were the true big bad the whole time, but no, it is played entirely straight the whole time.

The only MAJOR gripe I have is that EA makes you accept their draconian license that states you are just leasing the game and don't actually own it or you can't play it at all. Which is so stupid. This is a single-player game, no online bit to it at all, no loot boxes (yet), etc., so why the need to piss off people like that? I bought the game, but you're telling me it isn't actually mine? Fuck off, EA.

Fallen Order was only $10 in epic during the winter sale. One day the games stopped working. Reinstalled origin and it still didn't work. In the end, this game needs both origin and epic to be running to work.

The only MAJOR gripe I have is that EA makes you accept their draconian license that states you are just leasing the game and don't actually own it or you can't play it at all. Which is so stupid. This is a single-player game, no online bit to it at all, no loot boxes (yet), etc., so why the need to piss off people like that? I bought the game, but you're telling me it isn't actually mine? Fuck off, EA.
There is basically no reason to believe such a thing would be enforcable. You have to pay for the license before you can read the terms of the license? If I don't like the terms, is EA (the licenser) willing to refund all my money? No, the store has to? I didn't enter into a contract with them ether!

The only reason such shenagains keep entering software if because no one who could fight it has had to.

The biggest issue with LRMboating, unfortunately, is having people willing to get you target locks. If you can't get them locks, it's hard to lrm... and if you have to get them yourself, you're gonna have a bad time.

I much prefer to sandblast with stacks of MRMS.

GasBandit

Staff member
The biggest issue with LRMboating, unfortunately, is having people willing to get you target locks. If you can't get them locks, it's hard to lrm... and if you have to get them yourself, you're gonna have a bad time.

I much prefer to sandblast with stacks of MRMS.
I did have to get most of my own locks that match, but it was Polar Highlands, and many of my targets obligingly skylined themselves at the crest of what little cover there was to be had. I barely had to peek over the top, get a target, drop back into a trench, and my BAP and skill points in target holding after losing line of sight made it so I could get 3 salvos off in completely safety. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I actually ran out of LRM ammo that match (and I have like 2500), and had to charge in to seal the deal with my two piddly medium lasers.

My daughter got me Astral Chain for the Switch, and I'm loving it so far. It's complicated, and it's sometimes hard to control both your character and the monster on the end of your magic chain, but when it works I feel like an absolute bad ass.

I agree with @Dei. The ending to AI: Somnium Files was pretty fucking great.

I also picked up Fallen Order, Mechwarrior 5 Mercs, and Disco Elsysium over the break, in addition to finally reaching Shadowbringers in FFXIV.

Fallen Order: So far I like it. I've played about 3-4 hours. Sometimes can be very detailed and beautiful. Still manages to chug at times on a 2080ti, so, yay optimization. Cere's bulging eyes are a little bit freaky.

Mechwarrior 5 Mercs: First patch released fixed some of my issues with the game, and there's another big one coming this month. I have a fun time making me own little story and balancing my rep between the major factions. Some missions are an absolute bitch, but I've played a bit with my brother in Co-op and have had a great time playing that way. He's not a super competitive guy, so he'd probably hate MW:O but feels just fine with Co-op in Mercs. I'm going to wait for the major patch to finish the campaign. I know I am in the absolute minority here, and I, too, have some great fun making LRM boats and mechs with 4 gauss rifles shoved up their ass, but I kind of like the more limited customization and the idea that you need to use different models of mechs that were developed for different purposes. I use to read all this lore on mechs and why they were designed, and sticking 16 small lasers on a shadowcat in MW3 always shattered that immersion for me. Now I have reasons to evaluate mechs for their stock configurations, and can still tweak here and there, while also having a reason to go and find another variants than Atlas-A, Atlas-W, Atlas-J

Disco Elysium: This game is really weird and I like it. Like many, I also managed to kill myself within 3 minutes of starting the game by giving myself a heart attack. The dialogue can be really off the wall and incredible. Having an argument with myself in my brain is more entertaining than I'd like to admit. The main character looks like me after a drunken night of Left For Dead 2 with the old gang in the days of yore.

FFXIV: I finally managed to get to Shadowbringers, because, Dental school forbids (and will probably continue to forbid) extended MMO play. Barely into the expansion and I can already tell it's going to be great. I'll finish it, one day.

FFXIV: I finally managed to get to Shadowbringers, because, Dental school forbids (and will probably continue to forbid) extended MMO play. Barely into the expansion and I can already tell it's going to be great. I'll finish it, one day.
Shadowbringers is easily the best FF game in the last 15 years. We haven't gotten anything as good since at least 12 and 12 has issues that Shadowbringers does not.

Shadowbringers is easily the best FF game in the last 15 years. We haven't gotten anything as good since at least 12 and 12 has issues that Shadowbringers does not.
Great! To be honest, I'm, glad I finally reached it. I was getting a little tired of Doma and Ala Mhigo. Especially Ala Mhigo.

I got a hankering to do another playthrough of Divinity: Original Sin 2. Except I've found myself naturally gravitating towards the same character builds I use every time. Sword and shield warrior, bow-wielding archer, necromancer elf, and support mage. I mean, it's a good party, I used it to beat Tactician Honor Mode, so I know it works, but it does seem a bit boring to use the same thing again.

So I went online to look for interesting builds and parties, and I found someone talking about an all-summoner party. And now I'm definitely intrigued.

I was thinking about getting back into FF14. I have a lvl 50 Paladin, but havnt played in more than a year. Should I just start over?
Lvl 50 puts you right around the end of are/start of heavensward, which is just when the game starts getting good. But it also wouldn't take that long to get back to that point on a new character, so your call.

If you've already done the post arr stuff I'd say keep that character, because it's a slog to get through

I was thinking about getting back into FF14. I have a lvl 50 Paladin, but havnt played in more than a year. Should I just start over?
If you want to start over, I'd wait until they put out the revamped 2.0 experience... which is soonish, I think? 5.2 in February or the patch after? It's going to be a less bullshit filled ARR experience, especially in the 2.X stuff.

Alternatively, you could just do another class on the same character. Do some dungeons... Palace of the Dead... etc, to get a feel for the game again.