What are you playing?

I started The Stanley Parable.

This I like. This is a new kind of game, and I'm enjoying it. Though, I can see it will get old fast. Glad I only paid like a buck for it.
Walking Simulators aren't new, but The Stanley Parable is one of the better ones. It actually doesn't get old, because it's only about two hours long, it gets in and gets out really fast.

May I make a suggestion? If you enjoyed this, you should play The Beginner's Guide. But don't read anything about it, just go in blind. As someone who likes games, and some other things I know about you, I think you might get something out of it.

Or you might not like it... always a possibility.

GasBandit

Staff member
So, after going from 8 to 16 gigs of ram in my desktop system, I fired up Subnautica to see if it gobbled it all up.

Jury's still out. It's using more than 8, but crashes long before it gets to the top. This game, I swear. Boundless potential, teensy weensy give-a-shit about fixing a bug that makes it unplayable.

GasBandit

Staff member
Started playing 7 days to die yesterday, too.

This game is awful. The graphics are like everquest-grade (no, ORIGINAL everquest, not the overhaul). The interface is cluttered and unintuitive. The damage of weapons is entirely inconsistent (I shot a zombie to death with 2 arrows, then failed to kill a zombie at all despite hitting it with 12 arrows). Every tool and weapon wears out with use EXCRUCIATINGLY quickly. How this thing has 4 and a half stars on steam I can't fathom, especially given what I am reading about how easy it is to cheat on multiplayer servers.

If anybody cares to see me struggle for an hour until I die, here it is.

I didn't watch your video, but where did you shoot them? Hit location does make a big difference. 1 arrow to the head is enough to drop most of the zombies whereas you could shoot a zombie in the arms/legs 10 times and MAYBE kill them. Also, keep in mind that there are different zombie types and some can soak up a lot more damage than others.

Tools/Weapons do get better/more durable as you use and make them so they will last a lot longer than they do to start.

GasBandit

Staff member
I didn't watch your video, but where did you shoot them? Hit location does make a big difference. 1 arrow to the head is enough to drop most of the zombies whereas you could shoot a zombie in the arms/legs 10 times and MAYBE kill them. Also, keep in mind that there are different zombie types and some can soak up a lot more damage than others.

Tools/Weapons do get better/more durable as you use and make them so they will last a lot longer than they do to start.
Head, all times. The first example was a walking zombie I shot twice in the head and took down, the second was a crawling zombie who I shot 10-12 times and still had to finish off with my club. Are the crawling zombies resistant to arrows? I mean, he was crawling right toward me, it would have been near impossible to MISS his head.

Head, all times. The first example was a walking zombie I shot twice in the head and took down, the second was a crawling zombie who I shot 10-12 times and still had to finish off with my club. Are the crawling zombies resistant to arrows? I mean, he was crawling right toward me, it would have been near impossible to MISS his head.
Crawlers aren't resistant to arrows, they just have a really small hit box for the head and it moves from side to side as they crawl which makes them a PITA to kill. You have to be super precise to get them. They are annoying. I've played a lot and have gotten pretty dang good head-shotting with arrows even at long range and I can still rarely ever hit a crawler in the head with a first or even second shot.

GasBandit

Staff member
Crawlers aren't resistant to arrows, they just have a really small hit box for the head and it moves from side to side as they crawl which makes them a PITA to kill. You have to be super precise to get them. They are annoying. I've played a lot and have gotten pretty dang good head-shotting with arrows even at long range and I can still rarely ever hit a crawler in the head with a first or even second shot.
That seems like an issue that should be addressed, because I was aiming at that sucker's head from less than 10 feet.

If you want to point out I'm just a terrible shot, you can find evidence to support that at 56:35 in the video :p It took me 9 shots to kill the crawler.

That seems like an issue that should be addressed, because I was aiming at that sucker's head from less than 10 feet.

If you want to point out I'm just a terrible shot, you can find evidence to support that at 56:35 in the video :p It took me 9 shots to kill the crawler.
You're a terrible shot and the game is also shit. There, case closed.

Screenshot_2017-01-08_14_55_46_813442.jpg

This is my Vanguard, H'rrao Mreran, in mostly Remnant Dreadguard Trooper armor (the helmet and belt are Remnant Underworld Trooper)

Screenshot_2017-01-08_14_45_43_192917.jpg
I changed Strayer Voight's name (it was Strayervoight) and he's wearing mostly Madilon and Hadrium armor, the chest is Asylum but some of the other bits are Onslaught (he's a Mercenary BH)

Screenshot_2017-01-01_17_01_52_338303.jpg
Can't go wrong with a badass armored longcoat

Screenshot_2016-12-29_02_56_06_048962.jpg
The Hero of Tython in Dreamsilk Force Expert gear, all augmented.

Screenshot_2016-12-27_03_07_31_016123.jpg

Smuggler Dreadguard gear, with the gunslinger hat. The way his headtails clip through it never stops being funny.

Attachments

GasBandit

Staff member
So, Gas. Subnautica apparently is available for VR. What do you think of that?
I think when they get it to stop crashing and finish the story, it'll be a must fucking buy. Maybe snag it on a steam sale for cheap in the meantime, so that you get it at a discount.

I'm totally loving Pokemon Moon. I'm trying to breed or catch some shiny Eevees.

I'm totally frustrating our son because I'm so slow getting through the game because I'm doing all the extra stuff.

Is that where they can call for help over and over? I'm about to give that a try now. I also have two Eevees at the breeder. I read somewhere that there is a higher chance of a shiny baby if the two parents were from different language games.

Is that where they can call for help over and over? I'm about to give that a try now. I also have two Eevees at the breeder. I read somewhere that there is a higher chance of a shiny baby if the two parents were from different language games.
Yep. I don't know how much higher the chance is, since I've never used it to try to farm shinies, but at least I've heard from multiple sources that the shiny chance is higher in SOS battles. The longer the battle (ie, the more allies called and defeated) the higher the chance.

Also, yes, breeding two Pokemon from different language regions gives a 5x or 6x chance of being shiny, or at least it did in the previous generations. There's no reason to think this feature's been removed for the SM generation. The odds are still fairly low (like 1 in 600 or so) but it's much better than the 1 in 4000 odds you had previously.

With the GTS, I was able to find a Japanese boy Eevee pretty easily.

Worst case scenario, I'll have a ton of Eevees or their evolutions to trade on the GTS.

I've been playing Stella Glow, which I enjoy, but the game just feels like one big sex metaphor. Because Japan.

I used the SOS method and struck out once after 30+ spawns when my Absol somehow killed a normal Eevee by accident. I struck out a second time when the wild Eevee ran out of moves and ram-attacked my Pokemon and died. I got a shiny Eevee the next time. I stopped counting after a while but I think it was about 40. I finally caught it and I now need to decide if I should keep her as is or evolve her into a shiny Vaporeon or something.

Does it work like that? Does a shiny basic become a shiny Stage 1?

I used the SOS method and struck out once after 30+ spawns when my Absol somehow killed a normal Eevee by accident. I struck out a second time when the wild Eevee ran out of moves and ram-attacked my Pokemon and died. I got a shiny Eevee the next time. I stopped counting after a while but I think it was about 40. I finally caught it and I now need to decide if I should keep her as is or evolve her into a shiny Vaporeon or something.

Does it work like that? Does a shiny basic become a shiny Stage 1?
Yes, shiny pokes will retain their shininess after evolving.

How this thing has 4 and a half stars on steam I can't fathom, especially given what I am reading about how easy it is to cheat on multiplayer servers.
I assume it's because there are those people who must constantly challenge themselves until they finally start failing more than they succeed, just so they can finally put their heads down and charge at that barrier until they finally break through or die trying. For them, this is "fun."

--Patrick

I had sixteen days off for the holidays. I spent over one of them, some 33 hours, playing Yo Kai Watch 2.

Maybe I don't need them to tell me how long I've played with every save.

I've been getting into Cities: Skylines lately. I'm also very bad at it. I can barely make a functional city, and only if you stretch the definition of "functional" to include "polluted, gridlocked, cash-strapped town in the middle of nowhere that has garbage and corpses piling up everywhere".

And then I look at some of the cities people have created and posted online, with multi-leveled street design and beautiful zone layouts, and I wonder if this is a gift they're born with or if I just need to practice more.

GasBandit

Staff member
I've been getting into Cities: Skylines lately. I'm also very bad at it. I can barely make a functional city, and only if you stretch the definition of "functional" to include "polluted, gridlocked, cash-strapped town in the middle of nowhere that has garbage and corpses piling up everywhere".

And then I look at some of the cities people have created and posted online, with multi-leveled street design and beautiful zone layouts, and I wonder if this is a gift they're born with or if I just need to practice more.
Start off by raising all your taxes by 2%.[DOUBLEPOST=1484186074,1484186026][/DOUBLEPOST]Also never put a residential Zone directly next to an industrial zone, or even right across the street. Form a buffer between them with commercial zones.

That's how I feel when I play Planet Coaster too.

Start off by raising all your taxes by 2%.[DOUBLEPOST=1484186074,1484186026][/DOUBLEPOST]Also never put a residential Zone directly next to an industrial zone, or even right across the street. Form a buffer between them with commercial zones.
Check and check. The industrial zone thing was something I remembered from Simcity 2000 all those years ago, while raising taxes seemed inevitable given how hard money is to get at the beginning of the game. I think my primary problem is that I need to figure out transport, because my garbage trucks and hearses often can't get to where they need to be fast enough.

GasBandit

Staff member
Check and check. The industrial zone thing was something I remembered from Simcity 2000 all those years ago, while raising taxes seemed inevitable given how hard money is to get at the beginning of the game. I think my primary problem is that I need to figure out transport, because my garbage trucks and hearses often can't get to where they need to be fast enough.
Yeah, not enough dead people limos, which is what I am saying because Google voice recognition doesn't seem to understand the word for what that is, is a constant struggle especially in the later game. You will just have to resign yourself to putting in crematoriums on every 4th or 5th block of high-density Zones.