What are you playing?

All the talk about Megaman 2 made me decide to play it again.
I picked up on my last apparent restore from whenever it was I last played. I had Bubble, Metal and Crash man left. Finished them off and went through Wiley's castle pretty quickly. I forgot how short some of those levels are. I did pretty well but I did need to use the restore a few times. On the dragon boss, the crash bomb boss and Dr. Wiley's ship mode specifically. The final Dr. Wiley mode isn't that hard when you know his only weakness is the bubble lead.
I do appreciate that the Wiley stages keep track of your master power levels and require you to fill them up. But it is tough if you die on a boss like Dr. Wiley and you have used up more Bubble Lead than you need to beat him. Basically you're F'd at that point.
Seems like it's a good Mega Man day.

Being home sick and wanting something enjoyable to play, I started Mega Man 5. In a way, I've beaten half the "stages". However, each boss kicked my ass, and it wasn't until I fought Charge Man that I realized I'd forsaken Rock's charge shot in MM4. Here, it's apparently a necessity, because you'll only have a moment here and there in some boss fights to fire off a shot. Wearing down their health with normal shots takes too long to survive. Started using the charge shot, beat Charge Man.

That's enough for now.

I wish Capcom would release new collections of some of the series, but at this point they're apparently going to dole them out one at a time on Nintendo VC, seeing as Battle Network was recently released and X3 will be coming to the Wii U VC later this month. They can sell each Battle Network or X title on the VC for $8 a pop, which will probably make them more money than releasing a collection, and with less work on their part.

On the other hand, maybe Nintendo will nab Mega Man after all. The newest Puzzle Swap puzzle is a big Mega Man tribute, and IIRC it's the first puzzle on there from a third party besides Xenoblade, which seems to basically be second party at this point. Please, Nintendo, just take it from them. Capcom sucks, it's gonna die soon. Just finish it off and loot the corpse.[DOUBLEPOST=1407777269,1407777169][/DOUBLEPOST]
Something that only recently occurred to me... Why did Dr. Wily make a machine to fake himself being an alien as a final boss if the only person to see it would, according to plan, be killed/destroyed by it? Why the deception?
Intimidation? Or maybe he had other plans for it after he would've killed Rock.

Really I think it was just to mess with the player. It was a funny twist though; thanks to you and others, that was my first Mega Man game. I wasn't sure if the alien thing was legit since I didn't know much of the backstory with the series. Then you beat it and ... well, I laughed.

Still playing Skyrim. I may have gone a bit nuts with the modding.

(Spoilered due to possible NSFWness due to skimpy modded armors)
ScreenShot192.jpg

That's me on the left. To my side is Apachii, an NPC from my housing mod. We're wearing a combination of Tera Armors, Immersive Armors, and Cloaks of Skyrim, while wielding weapons from Immersive Weapons.

Something that only recently occurred to me... Why did Dr. Wily make a machine to fake himself being an alien as a final boss if the only person to see it would, according to plan, be killed/destroyed by it? Why the deception?
Cause if you know that the real villain is just behind the curtain, why not just pull away the curtain?

Oh and..

He's crazy. He does what he wants.

GasBandit

Staff member
Intimidation? Or maybe he had other plans for it after he would've killed Rock.

Really I think it was just to mess with the player. It was a funny twist though; thanks to you and others, that was my first Mega Man game. I wasn't sure if the alien thing was legit since I didn't know much of the backstory with the series. Then you beat it and ... well, I laughed.
Yeah, Wily sitting there yanking the controls in desperation after the thing breaks is comedy gold after the WTF factor still hasn't worn off from the "What, WILY IS AN ALIEN?!" reveal.

Not everything Wily does has an obvious purpose... but he's clearly done something right because canonically he's the victor of the whole thing. All of humanity is dead by the time of Mega Man Legends, mostly because of stuff Wily set up before he died.

Yeah, Wily sitting there yanking the controls in desperation after the thing breaks is comedy gold after the WTF factor still hasn't worn off from the "What, WILY IS AN ALIEN?!" reveal.
That's pretty much verbatim what I shouted at the screen when that happened. I had a feeling there would be another battle, but I did not expect that.

Not everything Wily does has an obvious purpose... but he's clearly done something right because canonically he's the victor of the whole thing. All of humanity is dead by the time of Mega Man Legends, mostly because of stuff Wily set up before he died.
Okay, this is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. I really want to play the Legends games, even if a glance of a Youtube let's play reminded me of PS1 graphics quality without rose-colored glasses, but Capcom won't release a collection for that. They won't even release them on PSN. Legends 2 shows up on PSN as "disc only" (whatever the fuck that means).

That's pretty much verbatim what I shouted at the screen when that happened. I had a feeling there would be another battle, but I did not expect that.

Okay, this is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. I really want to play the Legends games, even if a glance of a Youtube let's play reminded me of PS1 graphics quality without rose-colored glasses, but Capcom won't release a collection for that. They won't even release them on PSN. Legends 2 shows up on PSN as "disc only" (whatever the fuck that means).
Yeah Legends and Starforce (I guess it's just a new version of EXE) are the only MM series I've never gotten to play, and I wish I could change that. Stupid Capcom.

I think they'll be getting Star Force on the Nintendo eShop sooner or later. They are just now getting all of the Battle Network series on there.

Disk Only means that it's not on the PSN network. You'll have to buy it from Amazon or eBay. Probably pay out the ass for it too.

Disk Only means that it's not on the PSN network. You'll have to buy it from Amazon or eBay. Probably pay out the ass for it too.
But why even list it? The first one's not listed and it's the same deal, you'd have to buy it. There's a bunch of PS1 games that are technically disc only and they're not on there. It makes no sense.

In other me playing Mega Man news, after watching a video of someone absolutely trash Sigma in the first Mega Man X, I decided to give it another go, and then finally decided to change the controls back to default. Now that I'm trying it as it should be, I'm going to restart the game so it'll be more enjoyable. I don't know why I moved Shoot to the R trigger. Yeah, that works in modern console FPS games, but not here. Now at least it feels more like a Mega Man game and what was challenging to me before is much easier.

I've been revisiting N64 classics that I never got to play as a kid, like Banjo-Tooie and Conker's Bad Fur Day. Been playing them on PC using an emulator.

N64 games still look pretty damn good on PC, where you can crank up the antialiasing and antiscopic filtering.

I've been revisiting N64 classics that I never got to play as a kid, like Banjo-Tooie and Conker's Bad Fur Day. Been playing them on PC using an emulator.

N64 games still look pretty damn good on PC, where you can crank up the antialiasing and antiscopic filtering.
I think FFXII is my favorite example of a game secretly looking fantastic but a console not being able to keep up.

I've actually played this with an emulator and my actual disk for the game, it looks so much better on my PC.
Yeah I've got it for PS2 and the right side is no exaggeration. The game is still amazing for a PS2-era title (granted near the end of the system's life cycle), but I had no idea until PS2 PC emulation just how ridiculously nice the game could have looked if it were even a first-wave PS3 release.

I'm not going to end up getting a second heavy until the sectoids and thin men stop showing up. I mean, I'm not sure that I'm going to want to have more than one coming on missions later in the game, but for right now the extra rocket would be huge.
And there goes that run. Made it to June, first abduction mission...2 mutons, a mechtoid and a cyberdisc all triggered at once. Two consecutive misfired rockets left the mechtoid at full health with nothing stopping him from strolling up and one-shotting whoever he felt like.

Ironman really makes me appreciate how often my squads miss their shots on wide-open aliens standing nowhere near cover.

Mega Man X: Okay, yeah, all my problems seem to be attributable to my changing the controls for dumb reasons. I'm actually pretty good at this game now.

Mega Man 5: This one though ... I'm getting the stages, but the bosses are still kicking my ass.

I didn't find X difficult until I think it's X3, when you start getting the side-missions and extra bosses that you can miss out on fighting.
I've read here and elsewhere that X was where people found it getting hard. I used to agree, but now I'm finding it easier than the original series. But we'll see; X3 is coming later this month, but I still need to finish X and get X2.

X wasn't too bad, but then I played the shit out of it so I knew the game inside and out. X2 and 3 is where I feel they got a bit more difficult, especially in getting all the upgrades.

X wasn't too bad, but then I played the shit out of it so I knew the game inside and out. X2 and 3 is where I feel they got a bit more difficult, especially in getting all the upgrades.
X2 is hard if you fight all of the X Hunters. X3 is hard because it's a fucking GameFAQs game where you need a guide if you want to get everything because it's obtuse how to do some of it.

X2 is hard if you fight all of the X Hunters. X3 is hard because it's a fucking GameFAQs game where you need a guide if you want to get everything because it's obtuse how to do some of it.
Ah that's right you had to do things in a certain order or you couldn't fight all the side-bosses.

Ah that's right you had to do things in a certain order or you couldn't fight all the side-bosses.
Not even that. You have to do things in a certain order, using certain weapons (that you are never clued into and might not have yet), avoiding some upgrades in order to get the best upgrades from a hidden location that you would only find thanks to a guide and getting the OTHER hidden upgrade by doing something you were explicitly warned not to do in any other situation. It's fucking ridiculous and thankfully it's never so bad in the rest of the series.

Yeah the Walkthrough Syndrome usually applied to JRPGs, especially Star Ocean, which I replayed recently. The Last Hope has easily missable scenes that not only add much-needed reputation between the MC and crew, but some actually go towards unlocking extra scenes in the ending. There's no way in hell you'd know to check for these scenes without a guide, which means you would lose out on the full ending.

Oh, I am. Thankfully the next two missions to pop are a council mission with a support as a reward and an abduction with a heavy. If I can survive to the middle of the next month everything should be more or less stable - it's always made more interesting when I can't get the class balance I want, though.

The RNG of classes in this game is the only ISH about the game. At some point, I gave up and just cheated a bit with saving before the final kill shot at the end of a mission and reloading if the RNG didn't suit me.

I had a legendary game where out of 15 soldiers, 10 of them were snipers.

Never again.

Fire Emblem awakening. Man, that game has been worth every penny. I can see why you might want to reply it. I like working hard just to get all the little relationship conversation bits. The DLC EXPonetional growth and the money one have been invaluable to keeping me sane and letting me use ALL my characters.[DOUBLEPOST=1408036153,1408036092][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, bought Spec Ops: The Line on sale...played through the whole thing at once. I thought I got to "that point" but then I found out I didn't and then...man. What a game. An average shooter if nothing else, but dat story. The feels.

Still playing Gran Turismo 4. Got my Cadillac CIEN up to 974 horsepower but it still can't keep up with the American Championship GT cars - they're all actual race cars. I'm up to a stable of 45 cars now. I'm starting to figure out how to tweak the transmission for best performance on a few tracks - when doing the Honda One-Make R-type series, my NSX-R Concept '01 was literally lapping the Integras.

I didn't realize that when using a password for Mega Man games, your energy tanks (and in some cases, boss stage progress) gets lost.

Well, I'm not using passwords every time I play just to keep it that authentic. That's just crazy. I can't believe how hard this stuff was back in the day.

I didn't realize that when using a password for Mega Man games, your energy tanks (and in some cases, boss stage progress) gets lost.

Well, I'm not using passwords every time I play just to keep it that authentic. That's just crazy. I can't believe how hard this stuff was back in the day.
I know that in Mega Man 3, a blue pellet placed in a specific slot gives you 9 energy tanks. It works with every password.

I can't remember specifics.