What are you playing?

Nov 27, 2008
I like the way that the folks at giant bomb described it. They said that Dragon's Dogma is like the exact opposite of Skyrim. Everything Skyrim does great(engaging story and world), Dragon's Dogma does terribly. But everything that Skyrim does badly (combat, character animation), Dragon's Dogma does great.
I liken it to an JRPG that tries to be a western RPG.
The combat is this games saving grace.If it were not this engaging I would have dropped it after 5-8 hours.

S

SeraRelm

I kind of love the animations and character customization in terms of look. The combat is great, yeah, which I expected, but those aspects blew me away. If only it were for PC...

Nov 27, 2008
I kind of love the animations and character customization in terms of look. The combat is great, yeah, which I expected, but those aspects blew me away. If only it were for PC...
Which, according to Capcom, is impossible because, apparently, the pawn system is too complex to get to work on PC.

Fucking nonsense.

S

SeraRelm

They built it on a PC. They're just being fucking lazy. As a side note, they have some screen tearing which drives me nuts. I WANT to play it, but on a system that can handle its awesomeness. (my PC)

Nov 26, 2008
Murrieta, CA
As someone who had their 360 red-ring a few years ago and doesn't want to buy a new system, I'd love to see a little more PC love from games like this. It sounds like a blast, I'd love to try it. I just don't want to drop another 300 bucks on a system right now.

Nov 27, 2008
I love the detail they put into this game.Armors look amazing and if you wear helmets,the hero will put up his visor while he is in the city and when he is outside he will pull it down.Or if you get wet while you have your lantern out,it will extinguish.

Jay

Nov 27, 2008
Laval
Got bored of Diablo 3 (sorry the replay value of the game isn't as addictive as it used to be).... played ROTK 11 all weekend. Now this is a thinking man's game. Played the scenario where Dong Zhuo takes over the capital, now 15 hours in and 14 years later, my lord (Liu Bei) has captured the capital and supports the Han Emperor. Dong Zhuo's power has dwindled to a few cities in the West where he fights Sun Ce who holds most of the Southwest. My major competitor now is of course, Cao Cao to the South East below Chen Liu who's relation is now close to Hostile.

Liu Bei = 16 cities
Cao Cao = 8 cities
Sun Ce = 8 cities
Dong Zhuo = 3 cities
Liu Zhang = 2 cities
Lu Zhi = 1 city

Now my plan is to bolster my defenses and trying to see if I can get Cao Cao and Sun Ce to attack eachother after Dong Zhuo is finished.

I forgot how awesome this game is. No online shit. Stable released. Well created. The only thing missing is the officer mode but then again this game wasn't built for that in mind.

Once I'm done this game, I'll probably go back to Witcher 2 and finish it or Skyrim.

Nov 27, 2008
Anywhere but Sanity.
You know, I could never get into the ROTK or any of those strategy type games. No idea why. :confused:

Currently Playing:

Very little WoW, barely able to will myself to log in and keep up the "prep work".
Mostly Skyrim (finishing up playthrough #3 and literally going to complete the entire map on this character)
Finally popped in Darksiders, in a "freak moment" of clarity that I NEED to work on my game backlog. Played about an hour and wow, damn.... love it.

S

SeraRelm

You never played Tales of Arthas?!? I mean.. Darksiders?!? It's pretty good. (Plays like) GoW meets LoZ:OoT.

Currently playing with...:
A restart of Skyrim
Halfway through Morrowind
A dash of CoH/V
I'd be playing Dragon's Dogma if I hadn't needed to give it back. :(

Jay

Nov 27, 2008
Laval
You know, I could never get into the ROTK or any of those strategy type games. No idea why. :confused:
Well ROTK isn't your typical strategy game. It's a lot of RPG/action elements to it.

I'm really not a huge fan of the genre of strategy games anymore. (heck Starcraft 2 barely kept me interested) but there's something about the ROTK series that I LOVE. I got the books, have the Chinese TV series and even have my own forum RPG.

The best of the series is probably a toss between old school ROTK 3 or ROTK 7 or 8 for officer options (basically you roleplay one single officer in a game with 300+ officers.

Shame Koei has been too busy releasing mostly Dynasty junk since the early 2000s.

Jay

Nov 27, 2008
Laval
Not super hyped but somewhat interest to see how it plays out.

Just as I was with the new RE game and we all know how that panned out. (shitty game then a shittier port - 4/10 on most review sites... eeech)

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm grabbing Age of Conan for free to play to check it out.
The little woman and I got a conqueror/priest combo up to max level (80 I think?) when it first came out. I really liked the melee combat system, and what PVP I could find on a "normal" server was fun as heck. In the end, with the unfinished siege warfare and the fact that all the armor looked like it was hand made out of hefty bags, we just lost interest after a few months. Maybe that's all changed now. If I were to go back and try it again, I'd definitely reroll on a PVP server though.

All that's assuming they fixed some memory leaks and bugs, of course.

Nov 27, 2008
Was hoping to play some Harley's Revenge tonight whenever Steam decides to let us get it or skip it entirely if I have to input 14 different keys in GFWL.

Ugh, I just installed GTA4: Liberty City Stories. I've never seen so many God damn layers of bullshit. Steam, GFWL, some extra Securom check, fucking Rockstar account. I seriously need to begin reading fine print when I buy stuff on Steam.

The Binding of Isaac

As of this writing, it's only $2 on Steam. And it's just as messed up as what you may have heard. It's got a very Zelda style of gameplay, along with a similar map system, including needing to defeat all enemies in the room to move on. The entire game is randomized, however, which makes things both consistently interesting, but constantly frustrating.

Still, if you've got $2 laying around on your Steam account, I say give it a whirl.

Jan 9, 2009
Galloway, OH
The Binding of Isaac is a game that literally gets better every time you play it. You unlock new things, experience new enemies, find new items... you need to beat it like 10 times minimum to unlock everything (and at least twice with every character) and that's if your LUCKY. It also gets more difficult each time you play, making the enemies a bit tougher and smarter.

It's getting DLC soon too. New levels, new items, new enemies. This will be the last of it though. I highly recommend this game. It's easily worth 10-20 dollars, but you can get it for the cheap.

Jul 23, 2009
Taipei, Taiwan
Didn't I hear somewhere (possibly here) that the Binding of Isaac is buggy, and has a very punishing and un-fun difficulty level? Or am I thinking of a different game?

Jan 9, 2009
Galloway, OH
Didn't I hear somewhere (possibly here) that the Binding of Isaac is buggy, and has a very punishing and un-fun difficulty level? Or am I thinking of a different game?
Let me put it this way: The Binding of Isaac is a Rogue-like. This means there is some inherent unfairness to how the game is designed... mainly in that everything is randomized. Every floor will have a treasure room, a secret room, and a boss room, but everything else is randomized, including the lay out and what drops you get. This means that one run you might get lots of hearts and stat upgrades, while the next you might get smothered in stat upgrades but poor use item selections. Unless you've played the game before, you will have NO IDEA what some of the items do or if they mesh well with your playstyle.

It also gets harder, as I said. The first time you play, you only need to complete like 6-7 floors to get an ending and an item. However, after you beat the boss the first time, in unlocks The Womb, giving you another two floors you need to complete to win the game. These floors don't have shops or treasure rooms. Beating the boss of The Womb 4 times then unlocks Shoal, which is even harder than The Womb. You also have an increased chance of fighting enhanced enemies each time you complete the game and you'll run into new bosses and enemy types as well.

So yes... it CAN be very hard. But it's a Rogue-like: The difficulty and unfairness are part of the appeal.

Nov 27, 2008
Binding of Isaac is so random to the point of not being fun. Hey, this playthrough my powerups are garbage and I literally have no hope in hell of making it very far. Thanks random shitty dungeon generator.

Jan 9, 2009
Galloway, OH
I find that using Cain will basically correct that problem. His Lucky Foot item eschews the odds in your favor, making it much more likely you'll get good stuff.

The funny thing is, having played both recently, I kind of compare The Binding of Isaac to the Civilization games. The civilizations you meet is random, what resources you get in your immediate area is random (sometimes I'll get copper right off the bat in my area, sometimes, I need to go to war just to get it), and who gets what first is sometimes random (like who discovers the first religion, like Buddhism or Hinduism, which can help you grow much faster early in).

It's not a perfect comparison, I'll grant you, but I think there are some parallels.