What are you playing?

GasBandit

Staff member
Meh, at least it's a cheap drug. I've felt like I've had plenty of money ever since I quit drinking

I was addicted to energy drinks too, the cost of snack food can sneak up on you
Money has nothing to do with it, other than the money I'd lose from being fired for not going to work because I played MMOs til 4 in the morning and refused to get out of bed until it was time to play more MMOs. Nearly torpedoed myself in college that way.

Everquest nearly killed me.

Oh wow that is rough. I've been very fortunate with my own history of addiction, it's mostly been a financial and a personal emotional burden for me.

Last edited:
I'm deathly afraid of getting that MMO monkey back on my back after years of being clean.
I feel you SO much there. My biggest investment right now is either Destiny or Diablo, and both of those are ones you can put down for a month at a time and pick back up without missing TOO much.

—Patrick

I've reinstalled Final Fantasy 15. It's got some issues that hold it back from being a great game but it's charming enough to make me smile every time

I feel you SO much there. My biggest investment right now is either Destiny or Diablo, and both of those are ones you can put down for a month at a time and pick back up without missing TOO much.

—Patrick
It helps a lot if you aren't in any groups where people expect you to schedule time to grind content with them. Been thinking I should make a guild in FF14 for casual and social players for mainly this reason. It's fucking sad when I group with randos that seem like they're trying to make this game into work. And for drops that won't matter at all since I've just started doing dungeons

It's fucking sad when I group with randos that seem like they're trying to make this game into work.
Heck, I was saying this back when @GasBandit was still playing Overwatch—you just can’t get anywhere by yourself in games today. All the “best” stuff is going to be locked behind obstacles that require you to be part of a (coordinated) team or else be preternaturally skilled at the game, either of which means giving hundreds of hours of your life to the game every month. You can’t just PvE your way to glory any more, because the consummate try-hards whine and complain “GG2EZ” all the time and force the devs to cater to that elite 1%.

—Patrick

Heck, I was saying this back when @GasBandit was still playing Overwatch—you just can’t get anywhere by yourself in games today. All the “best” stuff is going to be locked behind obstacles that require you to be part of a (coordinated) team or else be preternaturally skilled at the game, either of which means giving hundreds of hours of your life to the game every month. You can’t just PvE your way to glory any more, because the consummate try-hards whine and complain “GG2EZ” all the time and force the devs to cater to that elite 1%.

—Patrick
Yeah and I am nowhere close to that point in this game. I've never played any online game enough to get to that grind and I see people at my level doing it anyway

—Patrick
The 'best' gear in FF14 actually doesn't really matter all that much. People do it for the fashion. Yeah, there is hardcore raiding if you want to do that, but there's also just story progression raiding where you can ignore the hard mode if you choose and still enjoy yourself. Hell, you can even craft the top end gear yourself if you're a master crafter and that's how you choose to engage with the game.

What I've loved most about FF14 is it is very casual friendly. I never feel like I'm in any rush to get things done, old content doesn't evaporate away so I can always go back to it. I can play for an hour or play for six hours and both feel equally rewarding. It's the only MMO I've ever played where it feels like the game respects my time.

Could not agree more but I am seeing so many randos at level 20 that are taking this way too seriously and trying to rush through the early dungeons with new players. I've played this before so I was able to pick up my class again quickly but this is really a bad experience for the fresh players

It's just a player problem that I have with this game so I'd like to build a safe space where players can take their time and socialize more

Like I just did a dungeon recently that had a first time player notification and the experienced tank was running through the entire level to scoop up every monster at once so I couldn't get my spells going until he stopped. And this motherfucker told me right in the middle of a fight that I shouldn't be casting sleep in my recharge phase. My dps is well above average

Last edited:
Crew 2 is a damn fine driving game and I haven't seen anyone online talking about it. Downtown key west has been replaced by a residential area and that is a little disappointing but the road layout is very similar to the real thing. With the everglades and miami too I could stay in florida and the gulf and this would be ten bucks well spent

It's pretty great that daytona, fl goes right to norfolk, va. I have driven the east coast many times and all those states between suck

Almost grounded my boat in the shallows of the rio going to california. The sun was rising behind me as I approached the pacific, beautiful game. Looks like it took me over an hour to cross the map

I am tearing ass in key west on streets I have actually walked down. I drove on a pier where I yelled "fuck you, castro" about a month before fidel died. This game is a ten, I haven't even done any races yet

Last edited:
Checking out the Final Fantasy 1 Pixel Remaster and it's kinda easy but I do like a lot of the changes that have been made to make this very playable without relying on a guide the whole time. I don't like any version of this game that uses MP instead of leveled charges so that leaves the original and the ps1 version as my other options. I might prefer the ps1 version for its difficulty but I haven't played it in about 20 years. The original is fucking impossible to figure out for yourself so I wouldn't recommend that for anyone, read any fantasy novel and you'll have a better experience than following a guide to get through that broken game

GasBandit

Staff member
Add me to the people who started playing Wildermyth. This game... is phenomenal. It's got all the tension of Darkest Dungeon (though not quite so brutal), the storytelling of a really good Rimworld playthough, and an excellent group-oriented turn-based combat mechanic with a novel yet intuitive magic system. And since there's so much branching character development and optional sidequests, I can see this one having TONS of replayability. Dave and Soupy were right. I really recommend this one.

I haven't had a strategy game tug at my core like this since my first epic playthrough of Fallen Enchantress.

My only regret is that I didn't know how customizable your characters were until I'd already randomed my first ones, and now they're stuck in my legacy, heh.

GasBandit

Staff member
Also I like that Wildermyth straight up tells you "THIS IS THE LAST FIGHT OF THIS STORY, MAKE SURE YOU ARE READY" and then immediately lets you use up any crafting materials and Legacy Points you have been hanging on to "just in case" to upgrade your gear, so you don't experience....

1638803295177.png

Add me to the people who started playing Wildermyth. This game... is phenomenal. It's got all the tension of Darkest Dungeon (though not quite so brutal), the storytelling of a really good Rimworld playthough, and an excellent group-oriented turn-based combat mechanic with a novel yet intuitive magic system. And since there's so much branching character development and optional sidequests, I can see this one having TONS of replayability. Dave and Soupy were right. I really recommend this one.

I haven't had a strategy game tug at my core like this since my first epic playthrough of Fallen Enchantress.

My only regret is that I didn't know how customizable your characters were until I'd already randomed my first ones, and now they're stuck in my legacy, heh.
Oh this is ticking a lot of boxes for me. Rimworld looked like something where I would enjoy the mechanics/systems at play but I just wasn't feeling the setting so I haven't bought it yet

Dave

Staff member
Well I WAS playing a survival MMO called Myth of Empires, but now the company that makes it is being sued so they are disappearing it from custom server hosting, Steam store, etc.

Time to find a new game.

GasBandit

Staff member
Oh this is ticking a lot of boxes for me. Rimworld looked like something where I would enjoy the mechanics/systems at play but I just wasn't feeling the setting so I haven't bought it yet
I can understand that. Rimworld is a story generator disguised as a colony management sim/RTS hybrid set in a sci-fi space-western dystopia where far-future and neolithic tech societies collide and stories are largely generated by strife, tragedy, and struggle all coming under a "space western" look and feel. Any aspect of that could make it fall off someone's radar, but they all flip my switches.

Wildermyth however is a story generator disguised as a sword-and-sorcery RPG with fully randomizable/customizable characters whose stories and legacy are defined as much by their personalities and decisions as the battles they fight and win - or lose. There's only 3 character classes (Warrior, Hunter, Mage) but each has a staggering array of development paths created by mix-and-match progression elements, and the backstories and interaction of the characters in your party generate new avenues of progression. All told with a papercraft/comic art style and excellent writing. I especially like how the game gives you the epilogue of any story you create, letting you know how things shook out for all the characters after the fall of the big bad, and the legacy system can turn characters you made previously into mythological heroes that kind of show up and participate in other peoples' stories even though that should be impossible - sort of like how tall tales put heroes all over the place, and merge multiple myths together in a web of fantastic connections.

In fact, I've only completed one playthrough, but it makes my heart ache to go back and start another one, because the story progression and ending for my characters seemed to really have good closure to it, and I hesitate to run the risk of pulling them from their deserved happily-ever-afters to fight another world-ending calamity, when they were already put through so much.

I can understand that. Rimworld is a story generator disguised as a colony management sim/RTS hybrid set in a sci-fi space-western dystopia where far-future and neolithic tech societies collide and stories are largely generated by strife, tragedy, and struggle all coming under a "space western" look and feel. Any aspect of that could make it fall off someone's radar, but they all flip my switches.

Wildermyth however is a story generator disguised as a sword-and-sorcery RPG with fully randomizable/customizable characters whose stories and legacy are defined as much by their personalities and decisions as the battles they fight and win - or lose. There's only 3 character classes (Warrior, Hunter, Mage) but each has a staggering array of development paths created by mix-and-match progression elements, and the backstories and interaction of the characters in your party generate new avenues of progression. All told with a papercraft/comic art style and excellent writing. I especially like how the game gives you the epilogue of any story you create, letting you know how things shook out for all the characters after the fall of the big bad, and the legacy system can turn characters you made previously into mythological heroes that kind of show up and participate in other peoples' stories even though that should be impossible - sort of like how tall tales put heroes all over the place, and merge multiple myths together in a web of fantastic connections.

In fact, I've only completed one playthrough, but it makes my heart ache to go back and start another one, because the story progression and ending for my characters seemed to really have good closure to it, and I hesitate to run the risk of pulling them from their deserved happily-ever-afters to fight another world-ending calamity, when they were already put through so much.
Most of the early story campaigns don't involve your legacy characters. Those come along in the later campaigns. You will make a very large stock of legacy characters by the end. There are some good mods already for the game too, for the art, size of the campaigns, and more.

GasBandit

Staff member
Most of the early story campaigns don't involve your legacy characters. Those come along in the later campaigns. You will make a very large stock of legacy characters by the end. There are some good mods already for the game too, for the art, size of the campaigns, and more.
I'm already snagging mods! So far I've got:
Procedural Campaign Variants
More Peacetime Variety
Ficeny's Hair Pack
Love is in the Air
and... uh.. Glamazon Adventuremart :D

Do you have any suggestions for other mods to use?

I'm already snagging mods! So far I've got:
Procedural Campaign Variants
More Peacetime Variety
Ficeny's Hair Pack
Love is in the Air
and... uh.. Glamazon Adventuremart :D

Do you have any suggestions for other mods to use?
I have the Procedural Campaign Variants, which lets you do the very difficult 7 chapter campaigns. That was my main suggestion. I have a different hair pack and a beard pack as well. I've added Expanded Humans: History, which I didn't notice much in my last play through. I also have Hero Training, which I never took advantage of because I was barely keeping up with the baddies in my 7 chapter campaign. And I have Legacy Children, which never triggered.

I agree. And you seem to understand it correctly. It would be OP in 1v1 of the same class. But 1v1, the game is horribly unbalanced. 1v1, it's basically just a game of rock-paper-scissors where one class always beats another, and a warrior priest would destroy almost any other class (other than a desciple of khaine, which is the chaos carbon copy of a warrior priest, or a witch elf, which specializes in surprise burst damage that I might not be able to outheal in time without Morale abilities which only build up over the course of sustained combat) because they're a melee DPS/healing hybrid, who can literally damage, heal, and heal as a result of doing damage.

I played Warrior Priest for almost my entire Warhammer Online career. I focused primarily on support, but in 1v1 I could pretty much outlast anything that couldn't stunlock me (again - Witch Elf). The neat thing is if the witch elf botched the stun, I could detaunt her and then outheal her damage pretty easily.

That was another thing I liked about Warhammer Online... taunts and "de-taunts" had PvP use... in that taunting a target made it do bonus damage to you but reduced damage against anyone else, while de-taunting would cut their damage against you in half but wore off immediately if you attacked them.

But the thing I loved most about Warhammer Online was that PvE was entirely optional. So many times I leveled from 1 to max level purely in PvP scenarios and battlefields. I leveled and deleted something like over 50 warrior priests, because PvP (or RvR as they call it) was fun, and I hated PvE grinding. And the game also made slain players drop generated gear and loot currency (so that you got equipment rewards for winning in PvP but didn't lose any gear if you lost in PvP), and this PvP-generated gear was on par with any PvE-attained gear, so you could deck yourself out by killing other players just as easily, if not more easily, than doing traditional PvE.

Aaand boy did I go off on a rambling tangent.
I enjoyed that game, though didn't get to play it to the extent you did. I really miss DAoC at times though.

GasBandit

Staff member
I enjoyed that game, though didn't get to play it to the extent you did. I really miss DAoC at times though.
WO could have been the DAOC2 we all wanted (and it came close)... but then EA smelled money.

From what I'm reading though, the fans who took over the abandoned husk and turned it into Return of Reckoning have really done an amazing job with it and lately have even been adding in some of the cut functionality... like, making all six faction cities actually worth something.

Still, no fixing the critical RVR flaw - a 2-sided RVR fight will never be as self-balancing as a 3-way RvR fight.

I bought the Fallout 4 DLC on sale over the holiday, and am now deeply into Nuka World. It's like putting on a warm sweater. Unrelated, this is today's warm sweater:
View attachment 39690
Nuka-World is my favorite FO4 DLC. I recognize it's got flaws, but I just love going through the individual parks, each with their own quirks. I also like how Nuka-World has some of the most powerful weapons in the whole game.

Nuka-World is my favorite FO4 DLC. I recognize it's got flaws, but I just love going through the individual parks, each with their own quirks. I also like how Nuka-World has some of the most powerful weapons in the whole game.
Huh. I'll have to look for those. I came equipped and haven't picked up any new weapons yet. I do have my eye on some lovely Nuka-Cola power armor thought.

It's ok to like things that aren't popular or critically acclaimed. I prefer the themes of something like new vegas, and I am addicted to gambling so it would be nice if every game had blackjack, but making people explode is fun too

It's ok to like things that aren't popular or critically acclaimed. I prefer the themes of something like new vegas, and I am addicted to gambling so it would be nice if every game had blackjack, but making people explode is fun too
No disagreement there. If I'm being objective, I would say that New Vegas is the best Fallout game, but FO4 just tickles my fancy in ways that other Fallout games don't, so FO4's accumulated the most playtime out of all the Fallout games I own.

No disagreement there. If I'm being objective, I would say that New Vegas is the best Fallout game, but FO4 just tickles my fancy in ways that other Fallout games don't, so FO4's accumulated the most playtime out of all the Fallout games I own.
4's got some weird design choices that I don't understand at all, like the hardcoded four dialogue choices and limiting the perk list by assigning them all to a stat level, but the action does play a lot better and the modular gun crafting could be expanded to generate some diablo style loot. Wouldn't mind new vegas getting ported into 4 at all

Huh. I'll have to look for those. I came equipped and haven't picked up any new weapons yet. I do have my eye on some lovely Nuka-Cola power armor thought.
If you're not too far into the Nuka World content, I recommend installing this mod if you plan to do the 'good' thing and defeat the raiders. It lets you get the support of the minutemen in liberating the settlers. I find it very fun. But you can't have started Open Season yet as the mod won't work if the quest has begun.

Checking out Final Fantasy 13 and this is much better than I expected. The most effective strategy in a fight is to destroy your enemy as quickly as possible, the second most effective is to make your enemy ineffective against you so you can take your time. Essentially you are juggling both strategies by hot swapping the roles of your party members and I don't think I've seen anyone effectively explain this

Checking out Final Fantasy 13 and this is much better than I expected. The most effective strategy in a fight is to destroy your enemy as quickly as possible, the second most effective is to make your enemy ineffective against you so you can take your time. Essentially you are juggling both strategies by hot swapping the roles of your party members and I don't think I've seen anyone effectively explain this
FF13 gets really good about 15 hours in.

I personally didn't make it that far, I only managed about 6.

Reactions: Cat
Everyone hated this game except me.

Reactions: Cat