What are you playing?

I've been playing the hell out of Control. It's real good, and even though I liked it back when I initially played it, I feel like it does itself a disservice by appearing like a boring third person shooter in the beginning before opening up into what is basically a third person action adventure game.

1605592330583.png

Wow! The computer controlled characters are rotten. They were bad in the wild area raids in the main game for sure, but they make mind blowingly bad choices in the max raid cave. This combined with the fact that we have to use crappy rental pokemon....omg.

Early on in the game, all you have is a pistol, and combat can feel kinda slow because of this. But the game continues to open up more and more, you learn how to traverse the passages of the oldest house, and the game becomes exploring and solving puzzles and secrets while getting into supernatural firefights like this:

• Informative
Reactions: Far
Isn't there something goofy about the "gun" you wield, too? Like it reconfigures itself into what you need?

--Patrick
Yes, it's a transformer, and this means you can unlock more forms for it to change it from a pistol, to a shotgun, to a machine gun, to a grenade launcher, etc. Monsters also drop mods you can slot in to change its properties

I'm dumb and bored and playing whatever I have available right now so I'm trying to enjoy Avengers but WHY IS EVERYONE SO FRAGILE? I'm Iron Man! AIMbot #102938487 shoots me from offscreen and pinballs me around until I'm dead. I'm the Hulk, I take damage over time from FUCKING GAMMA RADIATION.

So fucking shitty. Why is the Hulk so fucking awful to play as? It's ridiculous.

The gear is so fucking obnoxious. Right now, my Ms. Marvel does like twice the physical damage as THE FUCKING HULK because of the random drop gear.

This is legit one of the worst designed big budget games ever made and every fucking suit in charge should be criminally charged with murder and thrown overboard in the middle of the ocean.

Oh and it runs like dogshit too.

I'm not even going to bring up the fucking laziness of making you fight wave after wave of enemies that just teleport in.

3 mission later and they're already reusing locations. I'm not talking these randomly generated missions either. Story campaign missions. This is fucking embarrassing.

In this current mission, we have to stop a transport full of random robot garbage from taking off and we're all like, "How do we stop it?" and I'm shouting at my monitor WITH FUCKING IRON MAN YOU DUMB FUCKS.

Last edited:
That is 100% also true. It's like playing a 3D action game from 15 years ago. You are never looking at whatever damage sponge is currently hurting you.

What is even the fucking point of equipping new gear in this fucking game? Oh, I got a sweet Legendary that affects some random gobbledegook stat that's nigh inscrutable. I'm going to boost this legendary with the materials I'm saving. Now all the enemies are stronger and exactly leveled to my power level. COOL. This shit sucks. EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS SUCKS.

The whole game being built around 4 players wailing on damage sponge enemies means that at no point is combat actually fun or intuitive or rewarding. Arkham or Spider-Man PS4 this ain't AT all.

So, here's my final post about it. Fuck this game. Fuck GAAS. And finally, fuck Cody Rhodes for apparently being a real piece of shit to work for.

I am not a K-Pop stan, but the BTS pack for Beat Saber has some of the best beat mapping I've seen in this game in terms of being fun to play.

In times of stress and unhappiness, do you guys ever find yourself going back to a game that may not be perfect, but it's familiar, comforting, and kinda feels like coming home?

So anyway, I started playing Fallout 4 again. Building settlements is fun.
While I've never played FO4, comfort gaming is pretty much 95% of my gaming these days. It's why I play D3 every season

Same. Should probably try to at least finish the challenge rift on time, the second week is usually much harder than th efirst of a season.

Dave

Staff member
World of Warcraft: Shadowlands.

It went live yesterday and is a very interesting looking place. But it's got issues. Like serious issues. Not in the characters or anything like that, but the first time you go into the Shadowlands, it's nothing but cutscene followed by cutscene, followed by listen to this guy talk for 1/2 hour, followed by run to this place, followed by cutscene, It's a fucking slog to get through and you have to do it on every character that goes into Shadowlands.

Hey, remember that quest in Shattrath where you had to follow the ghost thing all around? You know, the slowly moving thing? The quest that everyone HATES? Let's add another one of those! Why not?

I haven't gone very far past the opening area because by the time I got through it I was just fucking done.

Was originally going to put off starting Borderlands 2 until after finishing my second playthrough of the first game, but succumbed to temptation after watching @Dave play it on stream. I’m lvl 30 after about 60hrs of playing Zer0, and am closing in on the endgame (I think...I’m into the “post-Angel“ content, at least). I’ve completed every optional (+cyan) quest so far... except for one because I wanted to see if it would let me continue the cyan objectives after completing the main white one (spoiler—it won’t).

It‘s everything the first game was...ridiculous, ribald, rife with lore (and more than a few bugs) but with enough differences from the first game to be refreshing. Also it plays perfectly fine on my 2011-era hardware.

—Patrick

World of Warcraft: Shadowlands.

It went live yesterday and is a very interesting looking place. But it's got issues. Like serious issues. Not in the characters or anything like that, but the first time you go into the Shadowlands, it's nothing but cutscene followed by cutscene, followed by listen to this guy talk for 1/2 hour, followed by run to this place, followed by cutscene, It's a fucking slog to get through and you have to do it on every character that goes into Shadowlands.

Hey, remember that quest in Shattrath where you had to follow the ghost thing all around? You know, the slowly moving thing? The quest that everyone HATES? Let's add another one of those! Why not?

I haven't gone very far past the opening area because by the time I got through it I was just fucking done.
This was my experience too. Now don't get me wrong... Final Fantasy 14 did something similar with the launch of Shadowbringers, but it told you flat out that you needed to make time for cutscenes. It was fine there because cut scenes in FF14 are actually...

- well written
- well acted
- visual interesting

... all features that WoW lacks in general, so I don't know why they thought this lengthy would have been more interesting than say a 5-10 minute video.

This was my experience too. Now don't get me wrong... Final Fantasy 14 did something similar with the launch of Shadowbringers, but it told you flat out that you needed to make time for cutscenes. It was fine there because cut scenes in FF14 are actually...

- well written
- well acted
- visual interesting

... all features that WoW lacks in general, so I don't know why they thought this lengthy would have been more interesting than say a 5-10 minute video.
Another big factor with FF14 is, for most people, you only do those cutscenes once since you have only one character. The average WoW player has multiple.