What are you playing?

Dave

Staff member
Have yet to play it. Like every Steam game I have it usually sits there and marinates until I get around to it. I'll play it this weekend & let you know.

Does anyone still have any continued interest in Sea of Thieves? Would be nice to have a dedicated team of 4 to plunder with.

I beat Eventide Island in Breath of the Wild using pretty much only remote bombs and Mipha's Grace. Not because I wanted to, but because I had nothing else.

PoE was kind to me last night. I had just leveled and opened a map with a mission for Jun. This was the unique map she gave me (I could see my exp bar moving and should level up again tonight):
7D5E1158-6BED-4CD7-9220-213D56CD43AB.jpeg

I had no idea it was a thing either. Totally worth the no items dropped. I went and checked the marketplace, but sadly this isn’t a map that drops and can be resold.

I have two stones in one tower (?!) now and hope to soon get my first red map to try.

Pathfinder: Kingmaker has a beta going for its next update that introduces turn-based combat. I downloaded it and I have to say while it makes combat last MUCH longer, (I think the final battle from the prologue took about 20 minutes) it feels more like D&D to me. It also makes certain spells/abilities much more attractive. I would almost never bother with a spell or ability that had a duration of "this turn" but now that I can properly set it up it works much better. Especially as they have the delay ability implemented. If you tried Pathfinder before but didn't care for the real-time or the even more frustrating "tactical-time" you should give it another shot.

ohlevar.gif

I've started taking a Dark Souls-esque approach to Breath of the Wild, in that I'll get killed by something, but then I'll immediately come back and try to figure out a way to take out the thing that killed me. Maybe I'll snipe from afar instead of attacking up close. Maybe I'll switch to a different weapon and see if it's more effective. Maybe I'll load up on attack or defense boosting meals before I take on the enemy. Maybe I'll find a place the enemy can't get to and toss bombs at it until it dies.

This all worked well until I fought my first Lynel. Yeah I'm just going to come back when I have about fifty more hearts, thanks.
Update to this. I went back with some better armor, ate a max defense meal, and laughed at the Lynel as its first attack did about half a heart in damage.

Then it started doing bigger, better attacks that did about five hearts of damage each, so I still died. But I killed it in the end after some cowardly running and hiding behind trees.

Trying to run trials seems to work, too. If you win, you get skill points. If you don’t win, at least you were fighting monsters high enough to get you exp.

—Patrick
I won trial three :)

Now that I need the trials in the maps, I bet they will play hard to get with me lol. Serves me right for ignoring them because I was t ready for them.

Just picked up and started Streets of Rage 4 on my PS4. It takes me RIGHT back to my early teens on my Genesis. The nostalgia is off-the-charts.

It's perfect for quick fixes of gaming until I can string together 3-4 hours to actually progress Persona 5 Royal.

Slime Rancher
Bought it for my daughter and tried it out this evening to make sure I understood it enough to help her learn to play. It's actually quite fun.

Pathfinder: Kingmaker has a beta going for its next update that introduces turn-based combat. I downloaded it and I have to say while it makes combat last MUCH longer, (I think the final battle from the prologue took about 20 minutes) it feels more like D&D to me. It also makes certain spells/abilities much more attractive. I would almost never bother with a spell or ability that had a duration of "this turn" but now that I can properly set it up it works much better. Especially as they have the delay ability implemented. If you tried Pathfinder before but didn't care for the real-time or the even more frustrating "tactical-time" you should give it another shot.

View attachment 34831
In theory I love this, but the game was designed for the much faster RTWP. So there's like 5 encounters per map minimum. If you play the whole game with the turn-based mode turned on, it's going to take you 11000 years to play through.

I wish it was designed for turn-based from the ground up and one of the big reasons I'm excited for Baldur's Gate 3.

Fall Guys is a silly amalgamation of MXC(or Takeshi's Castle if you prefer) and battle royale games. Been having a blast with it so far.

There are some frustrating physics quirks that lead to you getting knocked out early some rounds but overall it's super quick to get into the next game so doesn't feel as punishing to lose as a traditional Battle Royale might.

Fall Guys is a silly amalgamation of MXC(or Takeshi's Castle if you prefer) and battle royale games. Been having a blast with it so far.

There are some frustrating physics quirks that lead to you getting knocked out early some rounds but overall it's super quick to get into the next game so doesn't feel as punishing to lose as a traditional Battle Royale might.
I just bought it tonight, myself, and loving it. I'm terrible at it, but I'm still having a blast. You ever want to get in on a game together, I'm in. I want more people playing it!

In theory I love this, but the game was designed for the much faster RTWP. So there's like 5 encounters per map minimum. If you play the whole game with the turn-based mode turned on, it's going to take you 11000 years to play through.

I wish it was designed for turn-based from the ground up and one of the big reasons I'm excited for Baldur's Gate 3.
You can enter and exit turn-based mode on the fly. So I do trash mobs real-time and when I'm trying to set up something like grease/fireball or want to micromanage I just opt-in. I can't imagine playing any other way now.

I have learned that I suck at timing jumps just as much now as I did 30 years ago when playing the Mega Man series.

Forgot to pause Humble Bundle this month, but very glad that gave me the chance to discover Yuppie Psycho. Played it over 3 sessions (totaling maybe 6-8 hours?), then 100%'d it in another 8, because I wanted to see everything it had to offer.

An excellent survival horror adventure with a compelling story, lovable cast, fun puzzles, and several tense moments. The horror element ramped up well, and managed to be frequently creepy without resorting to cheap tricks. The story was interesting, and the setting (both the office and the hints about the world at large) were a great treat. The gameplay was enjoyable, though the resource management (batteries, health) felt too generous--I never ran out of anything.

Overall, this is a short story with limited replay value, but there is a lot of fun in here, and none of it overstays its welcome! I went in mostly blind (store blurb, genre, and trailer) and that definitely added to the experience. Honestly, the trailer might be the worst thing about this game. The scenes shown are not in the final game, and the voice acting (also not present in the game) is really lackluster.

*sob* I haven't won a single game of Fall Guys. I've come SO CLOSE several times, making it to the final 6 or so, only to come up short every time.

On the bright side, I can now dress fully as a toucan.

*sob* I haven't won a single game of Fall Guys. I've come SO CLOSE several times, making it to the final 6 or so, only to come up short every time.

On the bright side, I can now dress fully as a toucan.
I've won 8 times I think now. A GIANT help was turning off V-sync in game. The physics engine is tied in some way to your fps or, more than likely, your refresh rate and it was causing me to bounce everywhere or slide off tiles in tip toe and hex-a-gon like a bullet. There is also something going on with bad netcode causing the tails games to be really unreliable in that I've been next to beans grabbing them and not getting the tail and alternatively I've seen others 10-15 units away grab mine or others so it's kinda a crap shoot right now. The only mode I've managed to consistently win on when I make it to the end is Fall Mountain and very occasionally Royale Fumble

I'll be playing tonight if you wanted to party. My biggest frustrations are definitely the team games but I understand the desire for them. Still it will help to have someone to coordinate with for sure.

I had kind of hit a wall and while I could compete a red map, it was with difficulty. A few key upgrades later and I’m flying! Almost leveled twice in one night!

I was in the room before Izaro on the final trial and the game crashed. Are you kidding me?

The message I included along with my crash report was unfriendly.

Omg that was so rough. I crashed on the final trial a bunch tonight and died twice on him when he rushed me so fast I couldn’t move before I died.

Good news though, my chick is now fully ascended.

Sorry about the ranting. That was super rage enduring.

Diet Coke time.

Last edited: