What are you playing?

Divinity: Original Sin 2 -

TREMBLE BEFORE ME, ALL OF CREATION, FOR I AM NOW YOUR NEW - AND ONLY - GOD.

And I had to step over the corpses of Dei, Terrik, and Snuffles to become so.
Technically you raised my corpse, you didn't step over it.[DOUBLEPOST=1508472643,1508472528][/DOUBLEPOST]If you want a Pokemon-esque game, you might want to look at something like Yokai Watch. Monster Hunter is really nothing like Pokemon.
The corpses of your team who helped you?[DOUBLEPOST=1508472138,1508472030][/DOUBLEPOST]
My daughter and I are going to be on the bus together for a really long time ...

Have you played 3 and 4? Would the 3 Ultimate version on sale be a good deal?

The corpses of your team who helped you?[DOUBLEPOST=1508472138,1508472030][/DOUBLEPOST]
My daughter and I are going to be on the bus together for a really long time ...

Have you played 3 and 4? Would the 3 Ultimate version on sale be a good deal?
It's been a long while since I've played any of them.

I played...3 Tri I believe, though it was on Wii. 3 Ultimate seems to be that game just redone with some added features. @Zero Esc knows the series better than I. It's definitely a game that you can get into over the course of a long ride. Hunting the monsters and breaking off the specific parts to craft different armors or weapons which are then shown visually based on the monsters they are sourced from really appealed to me. I've always enjoyed that mechanic in RPG's. The weapons all handle differently so you and your daughter can find which fit your style well. I do recall not having much explained in game and having to look much of the combos for the weapons up online, as well as how to get specific pieces off monsters that you'll need to finish some quests.

The combat is all real time and all the missions you do have time limits and can be failed but I don't think there is a large penalty for failing beyond you wasting the items you used to attempt.

Stories is a more open world game similar to say X and Y or Sun and Moon. You select attacks and both yours and your opponents happen at the same time in a sort of rock paper scissors style. It uses the same world and monsters as the main series games but beyond that much of the game play is very different. Particularly in your case, Stories is mostly solo play with optional sidequests and dungeons available from other players received through street pass, and probably not what you'd want if you're trying to avoid Pokemon type games in general.

I would look into the difficulty of the main series as I felt lost when I wasn't playing with someone that knew what they were doing as someone that came in blind but it is a great series with very interesting combat.

I haven't played 4 to say one way or another but I imagine it's quite similar to 3 Ultimate.

Last edited:
It's been a long while since I've played any of them.

I played...3 Tri I believe, though it was on Wii. 3 Ultimate seems to be that game just redone with some added features. @Zero Esc knows the series better than I. It's definitely a game that you can get into over the course of a long ride. Hunting the monsters and breaking off the specific parts to craft different armors or weapons which are then shown visually based on the monsters they are sourced from really appealed to me. I've always enjoyed that mechanic in RPG's. The weapons all handle differently so you and your daughter can find which fit your style well. I do recall not having much explained in game and having to look much of the combos for the weapons up online, as well as how to get specific pieces off monsters that you'll need to finish some quests.

The combat is all real time and all the missions you do have time limits and can be failed but I don't think there is a large penalty for failing beyond you wasting the items you used to attempt.

Generations is a more open world game similar to say X and Y or Sun and Moon. You select attacks and both yours and your opponents happen at the same time in a sort of rock paper scissors style. It uses the same world and monsters as the main series games but beyond that much of the game play is very different. Particularly in your case, Generations is mostly solo play with optional sidequests and dungeons available from other players received through street pass, and probably not what you'd want if you're trying to avoid Pokemon type games in general.

I would look into the difficulty of the main series as I felt lost when I wasn't playing without someone that knew what they were doing as someone that came in blind but it is a great series with very interesting combat.

I haven't played 4 to say one way or another but I imagine it's quite similar to 3 Ultimate.
Thank you. I really appreciate it :)

I didn’t even think about difficulty levels. Thank you!! I should pick something that isn’t going to be too difficult for both of us to enjoy. I want something we can play together. Maybe Generations is a good idea. This is more about her than it is me. She loved Pokémon X.

The difficulty of the early Pokemon games has turned my son off them. He is finding Platinum too hard and had pretty much quit. I won’t give him Black 2 or Soul Silver until he beats Platinum. My daughter is more patient but she doesn’t have much experience with action games.

The good news is that while I was packing my backpack for tomorrow, I found another unused Nintendo eShop card that I can give her :D[DOUBLEPOST=1508478029,1508477749][/DOUBLEPOST]Haha! I went to GameFaqs and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate was listed as “Tough”.

4 was listed as “Unforgiving”.

Reactions: Far
I was going to say Animal Crossing, but that is more of a long term game, not really something you can sit and play for hours in a row, at least not at first.

I don't know how many 3DS games really encourage co-op adventuring besides those already mentioned.

There’s also “Stories” that looks fun. Like super OCD Pokemon breeding lol. These guys may make more games than the Pokemon people do!
Sorry, I got stories and generations mixed up. Stories is the other one I've played with the more pokemon like gameplay. Haven't played generations.

I’m looking for something different. I’ve got plenty of Pokemon games :)
I'll actually second the Yo Kai watch though based on personality and story. Poekmon was an interesting experience, but I played Yo Kai Watch first and as a result, Pokemon was a bit of a let down. I genuinely laughed out loud at a few spots in the Yo Kai Watch games.

GasBandit

Staff member
How easy I find it to turn to atheism in these times.
I think there was a meme about that.. "Met two gods, still an atheist" or something.
But given that you know for a fact god exists, you can't really be an "atheist," more like an... anti-deist.

Please, I did all your killing for you.
As well you should, after I raised you back from the dead to do my bidding.

I think there was a meme about that.. "Met two gods, still an atheist" or something.
But given that you know for a fact god exists, you can't really be an "atheist," more like an... anti-deist.

As well you should, after I raised you back from the dead to do my bidding.

Having lots of power doesn't mean he has to believe you're a god. In fact, he knows you aren't a god, because plot.

GasBandit

Staff member
Having lots of power doesn't mean he has to believe you're a god. In fact, he knows you aren't a god, because plot.
Except I literally *am* a god because of that plot. I got all the source. Malady even confirmed it.

Of course, being a god doesn't mean what a lot of people assumed it means, apparently, since gods are things you can kill and replace.

Except I literally *am* a god because of that plot. I got all the source. Malady even confirmed it.

Of course, being a god doesn't mean what a lot of people assumed it means, apparently, since gods are things you can kill and replace.
*cough*spoilers*cough*

Also I'm not going to get into the religious implications of whether or not having a lot of power means people have to believe in you.

GasBandit

Staff member
*cough*spoilers*cough*

Also I'm not going to get into the religious implications of whether or not having a lot of power means people have to believe in you.
It's a moot question, given that
the ending cinematic said everybody of all races believed in me, so there :p

Divinity: Original Sin 2 -

TREMBLE BEFORE ME, ALL OF CREATION, FOR I AM NOW YOUR NEW - AND ONLY - GOD.

And I had to step over the corpses of Dei, Terrik, and Snuffles to become so.
OK I accept you killed Dei & Snuffles, but are you sure Terrik isn't just asleep?

OK I accept you killed Dei & Snuffles, but are you sure Terrik isn't just asleep?
He didn't actually kill me at any point. In fact, Terrik killed Snuffles and I killed Terrik. I was just dead going in to the last fight so I didn't get a chance to actually participate legit.

GasBandit

Staff member
It's delicious that I became god on a technicality.

If it'd have been a straight up fight, it was already pretty foregone that I wouldn't have won, because after I won the first Arena through sheer durability, they all resolved to team up and beat me first on any subsequent battle royales.

But Dei died in the final battle BEFORE the battle royale, and the game counted that as her "losing her source" so she was out of the running for godhood (and in fact it never gave us a chance to revive her before the deciding grudge match), and for some reason Terrik decided to attack Snuffles first instead of me, and Snuffles's super-ultimate-instant-death-attack on me was partially blocked by an outcropping I was hugging. Then I resurrected Dei, and I guess because I did so, it put her on my "team." Terrik finished off Snuffles, Dei and my Bonewidow (Yes, Dei, he helped :p in fact he almost got the killing blow, remember) killed Terrik, and thus I ascended to Divinity.

There was much grumbling in the peanut gallery, though, especially given that apparently those who lose the final grudge match don't get to watch the first part of the ending sequence - only the winner does.

Basically the ending of the game is not multiplayer friendly at all.

The highlander ending is fine, but people not being able to see stuff is bullshit.

Sorry, I got stories and generations mixed up. Stories is the other one I've played with the more pokemon like gameplay. Haven't played generations.
Monster Hunter: Generations is pretty much 3+4 Remix. Neither my wife nor myself cared for it, because 4 was the first with elevation. So a lot of 3's monsters were super easy on the elevation maps from 4, and a lot of 4's monsters were too hard on the flat areas from 3.

If anyone were to get into a Monster Hunter game, I'd recommend 4, but Monster Hunter World is coming out and it's going to be very different from its predecessors.

And that said, they're pretty unforgiving games. You're expected to fight the same monster multiple times to get enough parts from it for crafting, if they drop at all, all while learning the monster's behavior, moves, and patterns, because you'll have to block or dodge those moves to stay alive. You have to time when to heal, because it's not instantaneous, and sometimes even when you do everything right, the monster thrashes you anyway. Each game expects a lot of patience and time out of anyone playing it.

I enjoy the games, but I just don't have time for them anymore.