What are you playing?

I was about to ask if somebody here got it. The first was great but I'm unsure buying the new one. Too many games coming out.

Did you get any funny orcs yet?
There is no shortage of interesting orcs. I kind of got attached to some of them in my first fortress region. I like the fact you can assign them to different positions, like personal bodyguard, warchief, the dudes defending the warchief, assassination missions, etc. I also throw new recruits that are on the lower-level side into the fighting pits to either kill them off to get stronger by living.

Heck, one time I nearly got myself killed, and just as the killing blow was landing, one of my followers pops out and murders the guy. "Saved your life Bright Lord. Hope it earns me a promotion" lul.

Nothing beats this guy though:

EDIT: Oh yeah, another new thing is orc classes and tribes. The tribes give the orcs different looks/personalities/culture and the classes have different effects. For example, here's a guy in my game:

20171014102005_1.jpg

is a beastmaster, so he won't be attacked by beasts. He also gets other bonuses.

This guy:

20171014102105_1.jpg

is a tracker and has a whole bunch of abiltiies. He can sniff you out, lays traps, blows a horn to summon more reinforcements, and has a bonus for being in the Warmonger tribe which you can see here:

20171014102119_1.jpg

So all in all, they've really expanded the nemesis system, and the type of orcs you can run into. It's really a great improvement and keeps finding new orc leaders interesting.

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
I already got crap for it by the barbarians on Discord last night, but I am playing Middle Earth: Shadow of War, and you know what? It's great. It took everything I liked about the first game, and made it better. I havent bought any lootboxes, although I've earned them through online sieges/vendettas/challenges. I'm actually quite happy with it. However my purchase has labeled me a criminal of the worst sort, and I've been ordered on a 100 year penitent crusade for supporting the downfall of gaming.

Well, if it's fun to play, then I guess having to grind a lot isn't that bad of a thing. And I'm glad to hear that it is a great game if you ignore the microtransactions and what not. So I'm glad you got it to tell that side of the story.

The grind is the same grind from the first game, kill a bunch of captians, literally the core mechanic of the series. The issue I've heard of the end being a slog seems to stem from people not going back to areas once they clear the story missions there and leaving level 20 captains instead of training them. So once act 4 rolls around and they're getting attacked by level 60's they are getting slaughtered because...yeah of course they're going to be.

If someone is gonna pay more money to not play a single player game, whatever. First game was fun, this game is better.

I had a hunter kill me early who I went and took revenge on, slicing him in half and his left arm off in the process. He came back as Pash the Machine, half orc, half middle earth cyborg. I've since killed him three more times and each time he gets more and more machine parts.

Bruz up there is scripted but he is pretty badass as well.

Last edited:
Doki Doki Literature Club

I just finished my first play through. I cannot wait to start it up again as soon as possible. It made me so, so happy.

GasBandit

Staff member
Divinity: Original Sin 2 (Halforums edition)

Sooooo... it basically occurred to me that my character has become less and less "melee/healer" and more and more... well, tentacle demon.

I'm just about ready for my first Japanese schoolgirl, I think.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 (Halforums edition)

Sooooo... it basically occurred to me that my character has become less and less "melee/healer" and more and more... well, tentacle demon.

I'm just about ready for my first Japanese schoolgirl, I think.

I'm guessing that'll require a mod.

figmentPez

Staff member
Dead Island Riptide (Definitive Edition)

I needed some action heavy fetch questing. So far it's just more of Dead Island, but without the slow beginning of the first game and having to use weapons that are constantly breaking on you. Weapon durability is still a little low, but at least they give you stuff that you can use long enough to get to the next workbench.

I'm not sure if it's because I'm rusty, but it seems harder to dodge zombie's attacks than it was before.

The Shrouded Isle

Got this via Humble Bundle recently. I actually had it on my wishlist but I can't for the life of me remember when or why. Because it's...okay, I guess? I don't know. It's one of those "make these choices, balance these five resources at the end of each turn" kind of games. And I'm terrible at it. There are five representing houses to keep happy and I can't keep them happy. Or if I focus on one resource, another suffers. And I can't get it to balance right and lose within only a few turns.

Early review of the first few hours of South Park Fractured But Whole, it's not as funny or fun as the first game. The combat is boring. The town is with a few changes, just reused assets from the first game so far. Oh, and that Ubisoft wants you to pay 2 fucking dollars for Towelie is the biggest dumb piece of shit cash grab of all time. Towelie makes horse armor seem like a sensible buy. He's show up maybe a half dozen times to make a joke. That's it.

Fuck you.

Early review of the first few hours of South Park Fractured But Whole, it's not as funny or fun as the first game. The combat is boring. The town is with a few changes, just reused assets from the first game so far. Oh, and that Ubisoft wants you to pay 2 fucking dollars for Towelie is the biggest dumb piece of shit cash grab of all time. Towelie makes horse armor seem like a sensible buy. He's show up maybe a half dozen times to make a joke. That's it.

Fuck you.
I was so disappointed when I heard Ubisoft would be making it instead of Obsidian.

Every time obsidian makes something great, some bigger developer comes along to turn it into shit

GasBandit

Staff member

Fuck you.

GasBandit

Staff member
Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes

I got the itch to fire this up again the last couple days. I've discovered some mods (and discovered that mods ARE A THING for FE:LH) and it's gotten me into looking at what all can be tweaked for the game.

It turns out almost everything in the game - all the sovereigns, all the champions, all the items - are straight up unencrypted XML. Modding would actually be fairly straightforward, if one would simply take the time to figure out the terminology from looking at the existing files.

I am a little irritated, though, that with all the customization the game offers, there isn't a built-in champion editor. There's a SOVEREIGN editor, there's a UNIT editor, but no in-game way to create customized champions. Most people who want to make customized champions seem to do it by making a sovereign then using a text editor to convert it to a champion, but that's got a lot of pitfalls that would be easy to fall into.

I wish somebody'd made a mod or application to build/edit champions :/

Also, I'm kinda surprised there hasn't been a model overhaul mod. I guess the game isn't exactly skyrim-popular, though.

Fuck you.
Then it's good that you get the first game for free.

What a disappointment. South Park Fractured But Whole is aggressively mediocre. It's just not good.

I've read some reviews that says that the actual combat is more fun than the Stick of Truth and I'm flabbergasted by this. It's not. It's not good.

The writing is much weaker too. It's just not nearly as funny as Stick of Truth. Stick of Truth had a hella long development cycle which probably gave it time to refine things. This game is not so much.

Well, I mean, I HAVE kinda talked at length about it around here :p and produced a video about it.
Right, but I didn't start paying ATTENTION until I started seeing it next to your name instead of DoS2, Borderlands, Space Engineers, or any of the other "usuals."

--Patrick

For some reason I can't figure out, I set the difficulty on Etrian Odyssey this time to Advanced. I apparently hate myself.

Since I can’t play Magikarp Jump all day tomorrow on the bus, I’ve decided to treat myself to a new 3DS game. I have a few new to me Pokemon games, but I’m looking to branch out a little.

I know right??! Hold the phone!!

How are the Momster Hunter games? Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate Edition (which I assume would have all the expansions maybe?) is on sale but there is also 4 and Generations amd maybe another one too? It’s a bit confusing.

Since I can’t play Magikarp Jump all day tomorrow on the bus, I’ve decided to treat myself to a new 3DS game. I have a few new to me Pokemon games, but I’m looking to branch out a little.

I know right??! Hold the phone!!

How are the Momster Hunter games? Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate Edition (which I assume would have all the expansions maybe?) is on sale but there is also 4 and Generations amd maybe another one too? It’s a bit confusing.
Generations is much more like pokemon than the others in the series. The others are very engaging games but better played with a partner I found and can be frustratingly difficult.

GasBandit

Staff member
Divinity: Original Sin 2 -

TREMBLE BEFORE ME, ALL OF CREATION, FOR I AM NOW YOUR NEW - AND ONLY - GOD.

And I had to step over the corpses of Dei, Terrik, and Snuffles to become so.

Last edited:
Finally have a rig that can run The Witcher 3: GOTY....

... aaand it's 0430. And I only just got to Velen.

WELP. What are rabbit holes for, if not to go down?

Divinity: Original Sin 2 -

TREMBLE BEFORE ME, ALL OF CREATION, FOR I AM NOW YOUR NEW - AND ONLY - GOD.

And I had to step over the corpses of Dei, Terrik, and Snuffles to become so.
The corpses of your team who helped you?[DOUBLEPOST=1508472138,1508472030][/DOUBLEPOST]
Generations is much more like pokemon than the others in the series. The others are very engaging games but better played with a partner I found and can be frustratingly difficult.
My daughter and I are going to be on the bus together for a really long time ...

Have you played 3 and 4? Would the 3 Ultimate version on sale be a good deal?