What are you playing?

Can this game be single player now? Because it needs to be single player.
There is a solo mode (as well as a private group mode) but you still need internet access, as it still connects you to the simulation, so things like factions and galaxy state are the same for everyone, and so your actions can still impact it.

Playing FTL for the first time (yeah, yeah, I'm a bit behind the times, I'm aware).

Fun, but hard. I've actually made it to the Flagship now, but something tells me I'm going to get my ass handed to me :p

Playing FTL for the first time (yeah, yeah, I'm a bit behind the times, I'm aware).

Fun, but hard. I've actually made it to the Flagship now, but something tells me I'm going to get my ass handed to me :p
Just an fyi if you ever find yourself trying to board a drone ship; drones don't breath oxygen, and their ships aren't pressurized... which I learned the hard way.

Just an fyi if you ever find yourself trying to board a drone ship; drones don't breath oxygen, and their ships aren't pressurized... which I learned the hard way.
I'm surprised you got teleporters up and running before glancing at a drone ship with level 2 sensors.

Managed to get the Flagship to the third level, then lost because all of my crew asphyxiated after I tried to kill off the boarders. Ah well. Not bad for a first run.

Managed to get the Flagship to the third level, then lost because all of my crew asphyxiated after I tried to kill off the boarders. Ah well. Not bad for a first run.
Never underestimate the power of high-level doors. Also remember that bombs can be aimed at your own ship (this is where the ones that don't cause hull/system damage come in *very* handy).

Been playing some Resident Evil 7. I really like it, let me start off with that. It's VERY Resident Evil 1. The estate is very Spencer Mansiony. It feels great. It looks great. The Family is creepy as fuck.

I do have some concerns. When you die, you just start right where you left off at the beginning of a room. This means you lose almost no progress on death. This has the added side effect of draining ALL tension from the game. There's no fear of death.

Chainsaw duel with Daddy is something else. Holy fucking shit.

been playing Grim Dawn lately. Only level 12 with my first character so not exactly all that far yet...But @Dave:
1. Yes, I like it
2. Yes, it's a better-looking version of TQ
3. I really dislike the lack of rebirth fountains or similar, and the fact that containers don't show up when highlighting objects.
4. It crashes far too often. Two hard crashes so far mean I have to restart from the village every time and that gets old fast.
5. I'm....Not entirely sold on the world yet. Long way to go, though. It's an interesting alternative world, at the very least, but I don't yet know what "my" place is in it.

Dave

Staff member
I've never had the game crash. You're just unlucky.

When you think you're badass, head to the Crucible. You'll eventually die, but you'll get good stuff doing it.

I've never had the game crash. You're just unlucky.

When you think you're badass, head to the Crucible. You'll eventually die, but you'll get good stuff doing it.
Badass? I have enough experience from Diablo I/II/III, Torchlight I/II and TQ(IT) to know that, nearing the end of Act I on the first difficulty of my first character, I'm nowhere near "badass". Though I did kill Maneater easily enough on my first try.
Knowing this kind of games, a level 30 character would one-shot me....and a level 50 would one-shot him. And so on to, apparently, 85.

Also, I don't own the DLC :p

I started playing the Stick of Truth this weekend.

I'm already kinda bored of it, so I also started playing Far Cry 4. Sigh, it's just exactly like Far Cry 3. Which is fine, I guess. I wonder if this time I won't default to sniping everyone.

GasBandit

Staff member
No, it's funny (although the farts as magic joke stinks), but it's already feeling like a grind. I'm not really a CRPG type gamer.
I didn't even bother using the fart magic (other than when a plot point/puzzle directly required it) until, like, the very last chapter of the game. And even then, mostly I just used the fart to boost my melee attack.

figmentPez

Staff member
I've been playing Stories: The Path of Destinies and I'm really enjoying it. It doesn't run very well on my old computer, but just well enough to play, and I'm finding the story to be highly enjoyable. The combat is kinda... simple, but it's not bad. In a lot of ways this game wants to be Bastion, and it isn't, but it's got a quirk sense of humor that I'm enjoying.

I finally got GTA 5 to run properly on my computer. Before it was getting horrible framerates. Changed the graphics setting to DirectX 11, and now it runs much better. Still get lag when I look at the ocean though, for some reason.

Anyway, good game. The protagonists are interesting and likable (only got Franklin and Michael so far, I hear Trevor's a different kettle of fish), and the writing for them is nicely snappy and intelligent. The gameplay is the open-world GTA gameplay I like, with plenty to do and lots of variations on old tricks. The game world's massive and fun to explore too.

If I had to make some nitpicks, I don't like how there's no setting to have car radios off by default, and I wish prostitutes also came out in the daytime.

If I had to make some nitpicks, I don't like how there's no setting to have car radios off by default, and I wish prostitutes also came out in the daytime.
Weird how you veered off the topic of the video game there at the end, but I'm glad you're mostly having a good time.

Doing some SWTOR last night, decided to do my daily PVP quests (0/4 unranked warzones) with my Mercenary. Turns out I got dropped into a really good team playing a bunch of idiots each time. I mean we won Huttball 6-0 in about 3 minutes, won the hypergate pylons arena in like 3 or 4 rounds because the other team consistently failed to capture or defend their pylon. Towards the end one of their best players goes on general and says, "Well, my team mates have no idea how this works and aren't listening, so good job."

It just made the "their team, my team" memes even funnier being on the other side of it, and I was proud that I didn't fuck it up for them. (even got an MVP vote in Huttball for killing a player with the ball who was charging our goal, then passing to teammate successfully which lead to another score)

also funny to see the salt "People just pick merc now and think they're good cause it's so OP"

I also started playing Far Cry 4. Sigh, it's just exactly like Far Cry 3. Which is fine, I guess. I wonder if this time I won't default to sniping everyone.
Nope. I'm just blasting everyone with a grenade launcher from the safety of the air in a flimsy helicopter.

And rather than getting annoyed by the villain's idiotic yammering like in the third one, I'm instead annoyed by everyone's idiotic yammering because there's no option to skip the cutscenes. :facepalm:

GasBandit

Staff member
So, I'm still mostly playing (and streaming) Space Engineers, but since the latest Subnautica patch, I've had my interest in it rekindled - because they added functional coffee machines. My base MUST have a coffee machine (if for no other reason than it is a free, limitless source of water that doesn't require me to scavenge bleach or chase bladderfish). I tried scouring the interior of the Aurora (the big crashed ship) again, but no luck. Looks like I'm gonna have to start combing through the random wreckage and debris scattered across the map again, if I want caffeine.

Hopefully I can get 2, so I can have one in my base and one in my submarine. I've already built an agripod and a bed in there (again, latest patch change - you can now use beds to sleep until dawn, like minecraft), so now that my PRAWN exosuit can recharge power cells by standing on lava vents, I might actually not even need to ever go back to base if I don't want to, any more.

GasBandit

Staff member
Oh! and I also played for 3 hours straight and it didn't crash once. So apparently the "Stability and optimization" portion of the patch actually did what was advertised, which is a refreshing change from, say, Space Engineers, where that phrase has become so empty and meaningless it has stopped even being a joke.

fade

Staff member
Finished The Last of Us. Wow. 5/5. Deserves all the praise it got. This story, man. It's no spoiler to say it leaves you (from the opening scene, really) questioning who's the the good guy, and who's the bad guy. Or is there even such a thing in this world?

Since I got the remastered version, it came with the Left Behind DLC, and I'm playing through that now.

Finished The Last of Us. Wow. 5/5. Deserves all the praise it got. This story, man. It's no spoiler to say it leaves you (from the opening scene, really) questioning who's the the good guy, and who's the bad guy. Or is there even such a thing in this world?

Since I got the remastered version, it came with the Left Behind DLC, and I'm playing through that now.

So good it's even Fade approved.