What are you playing?

So, I've decided to finally give some Dark Souls a good go.

Hey guys, this game is hard. It's pretty funny that the Taurus Demon was actually pretty easy, then some fat guy in a basement just before the Taurus Demon just obliterated me.

Hey guys, this game is hard. It's pretty funny that the Taurus Demon was actually pretty easy, then some fat guy in a basement just before the Taurus Demon just obliterated me.
Don't fight Havel yet. What he's guarding is a shortcut between the Undead Burg and a much more dangerous area. You'll see the other side of that door in due time.

Because the game gives you the freedom to go where you want, sometimes this means you can wander into areas you aren't ready for. Usually they stop you with guys like Havel: meat gates to let you know that things get serious from that point on. Another example is the graveyard and it's skeletons, right outside Firelink, and the ghosts in New Londo. This isn't bad game design per say... but it's always worth remembering that basically anything and everything can kill you dead in seconds in Dark Souls.

fade

Staff member
Finished shadow of mordor. The end boss was a QuickTime event that was easier than taming a graug.

On the other hand, The Bright Lord is interesting DLC in that you get to wield the One Ring. And its gameplay is juuuuust different enough to freshen things up a bit. They really whole-heartedly embraced the Avari origin of the orcs. I know Tolkien really wanted to change that near the end of his life. Frankly, I'm glad he didn't, because dirt people who were parroting meat puppets was a much worse idea. I can understand that the elf origin was incompatible with the lore that said elves could not be evil (though what about the Kinslaying and the exile of the Noldor, Tolkien?).

I feel you Poe. Last night I was supposed to finish a bunch of work I had to do. Instead I played Dark Souls literally all night long.

I feel you Poe. Last night I was supposed to finish a bunch of work I had to do. Instead I played Dark Souls literally all night long.
Well, it's not like I had things to do today. Thursdays are my Sundays, and are generally the day I spend doing nothing. I'm just surprised to be so into Destiny.

Well, it's not like I had things to do today. Thursdays are my Sundays, and are generally the day I spend doing nothing. I'm just surprised to be so into Destiny.
It's OK, I ended up doing fireteams with my friends. I feel you on the being surprised. A month ago, I didn't even plan on owning a PS4, now I'm playing Destiny semi regularly.

It's OK, I ended up doing fireteams with my friends. I feel you on the being surprised. A month ago, I didn't even plan on owning a PS4, now I'm playing Destiny semi regularly.
I'd love to run some stuff with you, if you don't mind taking a noob along. I ran some... what do they call dungeons in Destiny? Whatever... I ran some dungeons in destiny tonight just with random matchmaking, and it was a lot of fun.

I don't know if I have voicechat setup correctly though, since no one seemed to want to talk back to me.

Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes

Oh wait, there's more than ONE tech tree? And I have to research them all separately? And it's the only way to get more bits to make better soldiers?

WHY THE FUCK WASN'T THAT IN THE TUTORIAL?

GasBandit

Staff member
Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes

Oh wait, there's more than ONE tech tree? And I have to research them all separately? And it's the only way to get more bits to make better soldiers?

WHY THE FUCK WASN'T THAT IN THE TUTORIAL?
... I didn't have any problem finding/learning that, I dunno what to tell you.

The Shadows of the Mordors

Christ, this game is fucking tedious. I'm actually struggling not to just uninstall it. I don't see where this so called "great story" is that people keep going on about, either.

Yeah, I've been playing Shadow of Mordor too... I enjoy the actual GAME part of the game (though I resent not having better options to cause distractions) but I have no feelings for the plot.

Except Ratbag. He's cool.

The Shadows of the Mordors

Christ, this game is fucking tedious. I'm actually struggling not to just uninstall it. I don't see where this so called "great story" is that people keep going on about, either.
You're not going to find any great story in the cutscenes. The personal narrative between you and the orcs is the story, so unless one's fond of gameplay-based storytelling, it's not going to have a good story.

I enjoyed forming ongoing rivalries with certain orcs. It was fun when I'm in the middle of one assassination, and then suddenly Captain Assbag interrupts with half his face burned off because of our last fight. Need to do another playthrough.

You're not going to find any great story in the cutscenes. The personal narrative between you and the orcs is the story, so unless one's fond of gameplay-based storytelling, it's not going to have a good story.

I enjoyed forming ongoing rivalries with certain orcs. It was fun when I'm in the middle of one assassination, and then suddenly Captain Assbag interrupts with half his face burned off because of our last fight. Need to do another playthrough.

The buzzword for that is emergent gameplay, and SoM is one of the few games where it really shines.

I've had very few orc captains show up again, honestly. I keep killing them on first meeting and haven't seen many of them since. Maybe once or twice. I was under the impression that the game would create this one orc that'd be a recurring villain who would be more powerful or whatever every time he reappeared. Guess I was wrong.

I guess it's kind of fun taking control of my own orcs and pushing them up the ranks. The ones I have in charge are the ones I found the funniest, like So-and-So the Poet (can't remember his orc name).

I've had very few orc captains show up again, honestly. I keep killing them on first meeting and haven't seen many of them since. Maybe once or twice. I was under the impression that the game would create this one orc that'd be a recurring villain who would be more powerful or whatever every time he reappeared. Guess I was wrong.
That does happen, but the game assumes you aren't jumping straight to the "chop their head off" option. If you kill them any other way, they come back, and if they kill you, which some with certain personalities and immunities have an easier time doing, then they do ascend the ranks and can even become war chiefs. But if you go for the decapitation option, that orc is gone forever.

My next playthrough I'm not even going to buy that option. Before I had it, early in the game this one Gogma or something guy kept coming after me. I must've killed him seven times, but he'd also killed my three times, so I was enjoying our rivalry. Then I got the head chop ability, cut his head off, and realized he was gone for good. I kind of missed him.

There is a climax to the nemesis system, but I'll put it under spoilers:
The living orc who's killed you the most will lead an army against you before the end of the game as your nemesis. Sadly, for me this was a runty cheating shithead with poison spears and an immunity to ranged weapons, so he just happened to fuck me over several times while I was fighting other orcs, as opposed to a couple of orcs that I actually felt I had a rivalry with.

One of the things I enjoy is seeing what becomes of a random orc who kills me and is promoted to captain. You never know what you're going to get.

I guess it's kind of fun taking control of my own orcs and pushing them up the ranks. The ones I have in charge are the ones I found the funniest, like So-and-So the Poet (can't remember his orc name).
If you've been depopulating the Orc captains, they don't start refilling until you ether die or pass time at a Forge Tower. This causes the Orcs to get Orky and shake up the ranks.

And what Pez said is true: if you've been cutting their heads off (like with a Combo Execution) then they don't come back, but they have a chance any other way. I drove a sword through this one archer guy's face and he's come back with a metal plate over wear I hit him. Now he has poison arrows and loves to ambush me.

Decided to start a new run today. I keep trying to fight this butcher who killed me (he has an apron and everything) who's now got a flaming sword after I got him once, but we keep getting interrupted by this cowardly loser who wants to pick a fight with me, then flees anytime a caragor shows up. I've killed him three times now--an arrow gave him a metal plate, my caragor chewed up his face so now he wears a sack on his head, and I burned him this last time, so he's covered in burn scars--and he just keeps ambushing me like a moron. He's escaped as many times as he's died.