What are you playing?

Yeah, it's rough about Solaire... but you need to realize his power didn't come from his equipment. The running theory is that Solaire is actually the exiled son of Gwen that is mentioned on a few items, returning home. It explains his powers and his strength at any rate. Also, you should have picked up the Sunlight bug in there. You ever need to do Tomb of Giants, you can wear that on your head to light up the area like the light spell.

However, it IS possible to save Solaire by doing a certain sequence of events BEFORE fighting the Centipede boss in Lost Izalith.

- You need to join the Chaos Servant covenant located in the room directly beneath the Blighttown Bell. There is a false wall there you can hit to reveal Qualag's sick sister and her attendant Engi. Simple approach him, say you are a new servant, and then talk to her to join. Equip the Witch's Ring if you have it (you can get it by trading with the crow in the asylum or by picking it as your gift in a new game) to understand her speech, but it's not required.
- Joining up gives you Great Chaos Fireball. It's 3 uses, does excellent damage, and leaves a lava pool where it strikes for a bit. Also, if you've encountered a certain red phantom in 3 locations (Sewers, the path leading down into the demon area, and in Lost Izalith right before the boss) and defeated him all three times, there is a body here that gives you the Barbed Armor Set, which causes contact with you (such as via a roll) to cause damage. The story of WHY it's in this room is both sad and amazing.
- Now here's the hard part: leveling up in Chaos Servant requires you to use humanity items (or liquid humanity you get for helping other players with a boss) and then donate it to the sick drider girl. You need to give her -30- humanity. This takes you to +2 Chaos Servant, gives you Chaos Storm (a rocking pyromancy for PVP) and unlocks the shortcut to Lost Izalith.
- Now go through the demon area until you get to the area right before the fog door to the Demon Fire Sage. If you look to the right, there is an area full of thick roots. Climb down and open the shortcut.
- You are now in the area where you fought Solaire. Kill ALL OF THE BUGS (especially the red eye one) and be sure to pick up the Sunlight Bug. Since you got here before Solaire did, the Sunlight Bug won't drive him crazy.
- Finish Lost Izalith.
- You'll see Solaire one more time now. He's a bit distraught since he cannot find a sun... but he promises to help you again if you need it.

So why would anyone go through all of that (other than to save our Sunbro)? This unlocks Solaire's sign in the Kiln of the First Flame, enabling him to help you with the final boss. 30 humanity to skip two simple bosses, a crappy area, and to get a summon isn't a great deal, but it's there if you want it.

So what do you have left? You did Lost Izalith, New Londo, and Duke's Archives. Did you do Tomb of the Giants and Nito yet? If you have, then all that's left are the DLC areas and the Kiln of the First Flame.

fade

Staff member
Borderlands 2, single player. I bought the GOTY deal in the winter sale for like 9 bucks. I'm not a huge shooter fan, but the dialogue is making it worthwhile.

Yeah, it's rough about Solaire... but you need to realize his power didn't come from his equipment. The running theory is that Solaire is actually the exiled son of Gwen that is mentioned on a few items, returning home. It explains his powers and his strength at any rate. Also, you should have picked up the Sunlight bug in there. You ever need to do Tomb of Giants, you can wear that on your head to light up the area like the light spell.

However, it IS possible to save Solaire by doing a certain sequence of events BEFORE fighting the Centipede boss in Lost Izalith.

- You need to join the Chaos Servant covenant located in the room directly beneath the Blighttown Bell. There is a false wall there you can hit to reveal Qualag's sick sister and her attendant Engi. Simple approach him, say you are a new servant, and then talk to her to join. Equip the Witch's Ring if you have it (you can get it by trading with the crow in the asylum or by picking it as your gift in a new game) to understand her speech, but it's not required.
- Joining up gives you Great Chaos Fireball. It's 3 uses, does excellent damage, and leaves a lava pool where it strikes for a bit. Also, if you've encountered a certain red phantom in 3 locations (Sewers, the path leading down into the demon area, and in Lost Izalith right before the boss) and defeated him all three times, there is a body here that gives you the Barbed Armor Set, which causes contact with you (such as via a roll) to cause damage. The story of WHY it's in this room is both sad and amazing.
- Now here's the hard part: leveling up in Chaos Servant requires you to use humanity items (or liquid humanity you get for helping other players with a boss) and then donate it to the sick drider girl. You need to give her -30- humanity. This takes you to +2 Chaos Servant, gives you Chaos Storm (a rocking pyromancy for PVP) and unlocks the shortcut to Lost Izalith.
- Now go through the demon area until you get to the area right before the fog door to the Demon Fire Sage. If you look to the right, there is an area full of thick roots. Climb down and open the shortcut.
- You are now in the area where you fought Solaire. Kill ALL OF THE BUGS (especially the red eye one) and be sure to pick up the Sunlight Bug. Since you got here before Solaire did, the Sunlight Bug won't drive him crazy.
- Finish Lost Izalith.
- You'll see Solaire one more time now. He's a bit distraught since he cannot find a sun... but he promises to help you again if you need it.

So why would anyone go through all of that (other than to save our Sunbro)? This unlocks Solaire's sign in the Kiln of the First Flame, enabling him to help you with the final boss. 30 humanity to skip two simple bosses, a crappy area, and to get a summon isn't a great deal, but it's there if you want it.

So what do you have left? You did Lost Izalith, New Londo, and Duke's Archives. Did you do Tomb of the Giants and Nito yet? If you have, then all that's left are the DLC areas and the Kiln of the First Flame.
I think even if I knew about all that, I wouldn't have done it. It's too much. Though the pyromancy skill wouldn't be bad.

As for what's left, just Catacombs, Tomb, and then on through that doorway. It sounded like there was more to do, some places called the Great Hollow and the Royal Wood, but I'm wondering if that's actually stuff from Dark Souls 2 and I was getting confused. As for the DLC, I don't have it. Dusk is present, and that one golem, but the golem doesn't drop the special item because I don't have the DLC. I'm debating whether to buy it right now, or wait until I play through the game again, or if I should just buy it in case I don't play through again due to Bloodborne, Dark Souls II, whatever else the future has in store.

I've heard people mention the latter bosses are kind of easy, but I think they're overlooking that From didn't know what order people were going to play those four areas, and since this doesn't have scaled leveling a la Bioware RPGs, they all had to be reasonably approachable from the point when you're done in Anor Londo. Though I really wish I hadn't kindled that bonfire in Lost Izalith; I didn't realize what a strange boss that was going to be.

Royal Wood is DS2. The Great Hollow is that tree down in Blighttown... you go in and hit one of the walls to reveal a chest, then you hit the wall behind the chest to reveal a path to a bonfire and the Great Hollow proper. It's got a few good items (Cloranthy Ring, which gives stam regen) and a good place to farm basilisks if you want Eyes for the Gravelord Covenant. Beyond that is the Ashlake (which has a harder Hydra for you to fight), which has a miracle (Magic Barrier I believe) and leads to the Dragon Covenant. There is really no reason to come down here except as part of the Siegmeyer sidequest (if you do it correctly, you get a Titanite Slab down here) or as an easier place to farm those guys who drop twinkling titanite and curse removal items.

Basically, it's kind of like the Valley of the Drakes: you only go there to get some good items if you want them or to farm items for a covenant or to upgrade a weapon (you can get dragon scales from the drakes).

Personally, I'd buy the DLC now and do it before you finish the game because Dark Souls gets harder on each successful completion of the game. The catchphrase we all use is "The Real Dark Souls begins now" and we aren't kidding: every enemy gives more souls but they ether have more health or you do less damage (I can't remember which)... so if you want an easier time doing the DLC, you are going to want to do it on your first time through.

Royal Wood is DS2. The Great Hollow is that tree down in Blighttown... you go in and hit one of the walls to reveal a chest, then you hit the wall behind the chest to reveal a path to a bonfire and the Great Hollow proper. It's got a few good items (Cloranthy Ring, which gives stam regen) and a good place to farm basilisks if you want Eyes for the Gravelord Covenant. Beyond that is the Ashlake (which has a harder Hydra for you to fight), which has a miracle (Magic Barrier I believe) and leads to the Dragon Covenant. There is really no reason to come down here except as part of the Siegmeyer sidequest (if you do it correctly, you get a Titanite Slab down here) or as an easier place to farm those guys who drop twinkling titanite and curse removal items.

Basically, it's kind of like the Valley of the Drakes: you only go there to get some good items if you want them or to farm items for a covenant or to upgrade a weapon (you can get dragon scales from the drakes).

Personally, I'd buy the DLC now and do it before you finish the game because Dark Souls gets harder on each successful completion of the game. The catchphrase we all use is "The Real Dark Souls begins now" and we aren't kidding: every enemy gives more souls but they ether have more health or you do less damage (I can't remember which)... so if you want an easier time doing the DLC, you are going to want to do it on your first time through.
Going to additional areas is less about getting neat items for me and more about seeing the place. I really love entering a new area in this world. It's scary to explore, and also invigorating. But that stuff you're mentioning doesn't sound too enjoyable (especially basilisks).

As for the DLC, I may get it now, but if I do play again I'll probably start New again and play a different character, type of playstyle. I'll have to finish up the Catacombs and Tomb of Giants first though.

Okay, I bought the DLC last night. Was only 100kb, which means the PS3 Greatest Hits version does have it on the disc and just didn't want to give me any. -_- But anyway, I'm hoping against hope I can complete the Catacombs tonight at the very least.

Last edited:
Device 6 - This one has me all messed up about game value. I will say that it had me hooked from the moment I opened it on the old iPhone. I can't remember ever being invested in a mobile game this way. Still, I paid 4 bucks and played for maybe an hour, and while I'm sure I'll do it again someday, there's really not much replayability. As such, I don't really know if I can recommend it or not.

Dark Souls: Beat Pinwheel Tuesday night. Spent most of Wednesday night running around Catacombs trying to figure out where to go next. Didn't notice the ladder in Pinwheel's den until late. Feel stupid. Very stupid. Tired. Hungry.

Dark Souls: Beat Pinwheel Tuesday night. Spent most of Wednesday night running around Catacombs trying to figure out where to go next. Didn't notice the ladder in Pinwheel's den until late. Feel stupid. Very stupid. Tired. Hungry.
Pinwheel is usually the first boss I tangle with because he's such a joke and the summon for that fight can kill him in a few hits. Being able to get more estus early makes some areas just way more tolerable.

Pinwheel is usually the first boss I tangle with because he's such a joke and the summon for that fight can kill him in a few hits. Being able to get more estus early makes some areas just way more tolerable.
And when I replay the game, that's what I'll do, especially since it's easy enough to run past stuff to get to him. Having 15 Estus flasks for the Four Kings battle or Quelaag would've been very welcome.

The Last of Us Remastered: So I never owned a PS3 and I picked this up on a recommendation from my brother-in-law for my new PS4. The game is almost worth buying the system for. This is what having a worthwhile exclusive is all about. I was engrossed the whole time and It had just the right amount of difficulty on "Surivial" difficulty. This also included the DLC which I'm playing through now and it's just great. 5/5 stars

I wish I'd felt as invested as others in that game. Everyone got really into the story and characters, but nothing really had an impact after the "20 years later" point. No idea why. I can't point to anything they really did wrong except the pacing with the

seasonal time jumps

and that didn't seem to shake other people out of it. The story just didn't click with me like The Walking Dead or Bioshock Infinite.

Alien Isolation

I don't do horror games well. Even Friday the 13th on NES freaked me out when I was a wee lad. Here is no different. Right from the get-go in this, I was crawling around, terrified, even though I was pretty sure the xenomorph didn't show up for awhile.

It certainly looks phenomenal on the new gaming rig, I'll say that much.

Still pretty early into the game, though. Played it for a few hours and I've yet to encounter the bug in full. Had its first official cameo appearance in a cut scene, but that's about it.

My wife finished Dragon Age: Inquisition tonight. Though there was a lot of guff made solely so that DA:I could be said to be a long game, the actual story stuff is solid.

And damn, that post-credits scene.

Persona Q: I really hate this third labyrinth. Doors and passageways just aren't distinct enough from the brown and flickering red, and the whole paper hunt is pissing me off. Maybe I need a break from this game.

FUCK YOU DUCK HUNT, while a worthy and frustrating foe- YOU WERE NO MATCH FOR SAMUS ARAN...after 4 tries. Really, a kid psychic prodigy is easy yet a duck and a dog was hard for me. Also while I enjoyed the satisfaction of earning a new character, I'm still confused why Beating classic as Samus was needed for me to get to him. Mario would've been more symbolic/thematic in my opinion.

Last edited:
Being reminded of how limited fusion can be in a Persona game makes me realize why "play a real Shin Megami Tensei game" became a thing. I've created the perfect sub-Persona for Chie, but can't fuse anything decent out of it. Guess it's time to kill some other Personas to boost its level.

Holy crap. EVERY goddamn thing involved in Saint's Row except for SR1 and SR: Gat out of Hell for 10.99 on steam right now. If you haven't gotten the SR games yet, get them now. I'm tempted to get it just for SR2 and any of the sundry DLC I may have missed.

Holy crap. EVERY goddamn thing involved in Saint's Row except for SR1 and SR: Gat out of Hell for 10.99 on steam right now. If you haven't gotten the SR games yet, get them now. I'm tempted to get it just for SR2 and any of the sundry DLC I may have missed.
Holy damn, and now I have a rig that could play them, too. Picked up.

Pretty sure I'm done with Smash Bros. Every time I play it, I have to make myself play it. Just can't see a reason to bother when I have no one IRL to play with. This could be paying for 2/3 of Evolve or Bloodborne.

Wife and I played the Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate demo, experimented with the new weapons. I forgot how much fun we have with this and didn't realize how noisy we get until being reminded we have a trip in March.

Wife: We're gonna be so annoying on the plane.

Me: o_o Oh. Right. We can't act like this on the plane.

Wife: No shouting "fuck you, pussy Jaggi, get back here!"?

Me: No. We need to tone it down. Drastically.

Neither of us felt ballsy enough to fight the Gore Magala, but we took down the middle monster (too tired to remember name right now). Overall, the game experience is a huge improvement. Movement is much more fluid now, enough that taking on heavier weapons doesn't feel like such an impairment, and leaping up and down cliffs and onto monsters' backs is a ton of fun. The demo ends up feeling hollow only in that you're given a bunch of decent gear/weapons to play with, when one of the joys of the series is running off to the next mission wearing the hide and horns of the last thing you killed. Can't wait for the full release and I'm so glad it's coming a month and a half earlier than previously estimated.

Decided to try KotOR1 on Steam. Movement is annoying and sometimes you just can't move at all (which I later found out is a bug with VSync).

Doesn't seem to have controller support, either, which I thought would be okay but movement and camera control don't mesh all that well.

Evolve Beta has been fun. I dislike that the maps given seem small. Maybe I'm just a shit monster at this point but I've only managed to get to level 3 once. The fact that the hunters seem to be right on top of you nearly immediately after spawn seems to make it extremely difficult to get swoll at the start and to get away from them once they know where you are. Haven't played much of the hunters save a game as the support and we crushed the monster before it evolved once.

I think playing as the monster is going to be one of those things that takes practice and experience, kind of like playing the tank in Left 4 Dead.

But I'll be interested in seeing how people feel about the game pre-release. Far as I know, these betas are a stress-test and the game is otherwise ready to ship.[DOUBLEPOST=1421674296,1421674031][/DOUBLEPOST]
Evolve Beta has been fun. I dislike that the maps given seem small. Maybe I'm just a shit monster at this point but I've only managed to get to level 3 once. The fact that the hunters seem to be right on top of you nearly immediately after spawn seems to make it extremely difficult to get swoll at the start and to get away from them once they know where you are. Haven't played much of the hunters save a game as the support and we crushed the monster before it evolved once.
Out of curiosity, what monster did you play as?

I think playing as the monster is going to be one of those things that takes practice and experience, kind of like playing the tank in Left 4 Dead.

But I'll be interested in seeing how people feel about the game pre-release. Far as I know, these betas are a stress-test and the game is otherwise ready to ship.[DOUBLEPOST=1421674296,1421674031][/DOUBLEPOST]

Out of curiosity, what monster did you play as?
I believe it was the Goliath. I also had access to the Wraith and probably should have tried it out as I found the lumbering Goliath prohibitively slow. Again, it was very likely my inexperience with it that marred what I did and what I did play was a hell of a lot of fun.

Last edited:
Persona Q: Finally past that atrocious third labyrinth. It's because of that place that I won't be playing through the game this a second time. The fourth one is already a huge improvement. Features of the labyrinth are distinguishable from each other, there's actually music.

Although the amount the characters emphasize it being the last labyrinth might as well have the Velvet Room people winking at the player.

Dave

Staff member
Forced. It's a co-op game with up to 4 players. The interface is a bit odd and made for controller, so if you mouse/keyboard it's a bit difficult to get used to. You have to clear these areas using cooperation. It starts fairly easy and then gets really fucking hard really fucking fast.

Ah the Wraith is MUCH closer to what I wanted to play. Tried him out for two games and won both after getting to level 3, first game by killing the hunters, second by destroying the power relay.

He has less health but must be terrifying to fight. Damn quick, able to teleport, abduct targets by teleporting in and out thus separating the hunters, create decoys while going invisible for a short time and has a attack speed and damage steroid.