What are you playing?

Inazuma Eleven: I want to like this game. I really do. But I just suck at it so much. This is not Blitzball. This is something far more savage.

Shin Megami Tensei IV: I love this game so much. My wife started playing it--somehow she got through the first two tasks without a game over, plus some lucky demon negotiations. I had to really hammer in that you need to refuse the demons sometimes. They're capricious dicks, every one of them. Giving them everything they want is a great way to never see that stuff again and have no demon to show for it.

I'd be playing my 3DS, but nintendo, in all its wisdom, doesnt supply power chargers that run the full gambit of 100v-240v, so I can't charge it in China. I'm going to run to Shanghai tomorrow and get an power cable for a Chineses 3DS...I assume the battery is the same on all these things so it should be fine.

So I've been getting my Tales of Symphonia on (thanks for the re-release PS3 :D) and I'm thinking about getting Tales of the Abyss for my vacation travel, does it hold up as a Tales game well? Anyone played it?

So I've been getting my Tales of Symphonia on (thanks for the re-release PS3 :D) and I'm thinking about getting Tales of the Abyss for my vacation travel, does it hold up as a Tales game well? Anyone played it?
Abyss is pretty 50/50 to most of the fanbase. Personally, I love it. It's in my top 3 with Vesperia and Xillia 1.

Got The Wolf Among Us (aka Telltale does Fables) for a late birthday present. Finished episode one, spoilery thoughts so far:

You bastards. Hint at a thing between Bigby and Snow, let me spend the episode building the relationship, then go and kill her off. I mean, I don't know why I would expect differently, but still. :(

Got The Wolf Among Us (aka Telltale does Fables) for a late birthday present. Finished episode one, spoilery thoughts so far:

You bastards. Hint at a thing between Bigby and Snow, let me spend the episode building the relationship, then go and kill her off. I mean, I don't know why I would expect differently, but still. :(
Eh, don't be surprised if she doesn't come back to life. One major, recurring part of Fables was that these characters are so well-known that they can come back to life. Snow, for example, was shot dead in the head early in the Fables comic and managed to come back from that.

Don't Starve

Been playing this obsessively in the last few days. Today, I finally - FINALLY - had my camp set up in a great spot that kept me alive for over 20 days. Previously, I'd be lucky if I lasted 7 or 8 days. This time, I had some farms set up, was grabbing poo from the nearby beefalos, etc. Even managed to set up a crock pot for the first time and made some meals.

Well, that was all well and good until winter hit and the farms wouldn't produce anymore. :/

Played a little of the WildStar beta. Seems like it'll be kind of a fun game but holy shit is it horribly optimized right now. FFXIV runs better on medium settings than WS does on the lowest.

Shadow Warrior, the remake of the classic shooter by the amazing polish dev team Flying Wild Hog, made up of former members of People Can Fly, the amazing studio that made painkiller. This game is stupid. And fun. And stupidly fun.

I give it a 10/10 on the wang-o-meter.

Shadow Warrior, the remake of the classic shooter by the amazing polish dev team Flying Wild Hog, made up of former members of People Can Fly, the amazing studio that made painkiller. This game is stupid. And fun. And stupidly fun.

I give it a 10/10 on the wang-o-meter.

My favorite youtuber (JesseCox) is playing through this right now. Holy hell it's amazing.

How had I never played Tales of Symphonia before????? Oh, that's right, I didn't have a gamecube when it came out. Well, thank you PS3 for letting me play this awesome game. I had only played the original SNES era games before. Loving.... this.... game... And they actually got quality voice actors for it.

How had I never played Tales of Symphonia before????? Oh, that's right, I didn't have a gamecube when it came out. Well, thank you PS3 for letting me play this awesome game. I had only played the original SNES era games before. Loving.... this.... game... And they actually got quality voice actors for it.
Fair warning, don't expect the same of the sequel. It's...okay, but nowhere near as fantastic as the first.

How is she doing this?!

My wife's playing Shin Megami Tensei IV. Near everyone who didn't use the cheat DLC gets a few game overs under their belt early in the game. She has not had a single one and she's almost level 10.

Then tonight, her demons started having skill transformations WAY beyond their range. One changed Dia into Mabufula. Then later, another changed a skill to Diarama. Then the first wanted to change a skill to Maragion. To put this in Final Fantasy/Bravely Default language, that's like getting Firaga at the beginning of the game, except it can hit all enemies. I'm level 25 in my second playthrough and don't have anything close to this stuff.

I acknowledge the lack of Game Overs is due to intelligent strategic caution, but this other shit is just random luck. How? HOW?!

Finally getting back to playing Midievil for the playstation- SWEET JIMINY CRACKERS is this game fun. All sorts of weapons, beautiful level designs, and several splashes of dark humor.

Payday 2 had its free weekend and you could buy it for 10€. Bought it and am heisting the shit out of small jewelry shops and smashing up malls.

People Can Fly/Wild Hog Games/Flying Wild Hog/Whatever the fuck they're calling themselves now seriously make the best shooters ever. I never thought Painkiller could be outdone for stupid awesome shooting, but Hard Reset was a fantastic cyberpunk shooter, and now Shadow Warrior continually manages to impress me as their best yet. The humor, the gameplay, the level design (I love hunting through complex maps for secrets!) it's all just superb.

People Can Fly/Wild Hog Games/Flying Wild Hog/Whatever the fuck they're calling themselves now seriously make the best shooters ever. I never thought Painkiller could be outdone for stupid awesome shooting, but Hard Reset was a fantastic cyberpunk shooter, and now Shadow Warrior continually manages to impress me as their best yet. The humor, the gameplay, the level design (I love hunting through complex maps for secrets!) it's all just superb.
They're the guys who made Bulletstorm, right? Awesome game for your inner thirteen year old.

They're the guys who made Bulletstorm, right? Awesome game for your inner thirteen year old.
They did. Though, they c0-made that with Epic, which lead to Epic taking them over and turning People Can Fly into Epic Games Poland. Which is why the lead people left to form Flying Wild Hog.

So, finally got around to finishing up Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 4. I enjoyed the new dynamic of pokemon-lite pet battles. Actually, what I enjoyed most was how wacky the story ended up getting. When I played the first game what feels like 100 years ago, I had no idea that's what they were building to. It was fun stuff that was pretty funny throughout (not Stick of Truth funny, but funny). Like the first game, the combat fell into a samey rhythm of me using the same abilities on most trash fights and the Zeboyd guys don't have the most inspiring of dungeon design but it was fun enough.

The soundtrack was nuts good.

http://hyperduck.bandcamp.com/album/penny-arcades-on-the-rain-slick-precipice-of-darkness-4-ost

Talonflame, Swalot, Geninja, Venusaur, Lucario, Double Blade---just the ones I'm going through the game with avg lvl of 50. I havent finished the game yet.
Hmm, it's probably because your team isn't a dedicated one built for battling other players then. This isn't necessarily a criticism of your team or your skill, it's just that other guy has probably has pokes with good IVs, are EV trained, and have moves that are part of a coherent overall strategy.

Hmm, it's probably because your team isn't a dedicated one built for battling other players then. This isn't necessarily a criticism of your team or your skill, it's just that other guy has probably has pokes with good IVs, are EV trained, and have moves that are part of a coherent overall strategy.
Probably. Doesnt that mean I have to do these inane mini games for hours on end for every pokemon to battle halfway decently?

Probably. Doesnt that mean I have to do these inane mini games for hours on end for every pokemon to battle halfway decently?
You'd have to:

1. Come up with a strategy. This will affect your choice of pokemon and moves. For example, you could go for six powerful offensive pokemon, and try to KO your opponents with sheer firepower. This is commonly known as a "hyper offense" strategy. You could use defensive pokemon, and try to wear down your opponent through passive damage and entry hazards. This is commonly known as a "stall" strategy. You could try to control the weather, for example using rain in conjunction with the Swift Swim ability to boost your pokemon's speed, while also making water-type attacks more powerful. You could use the move Baton Pass to pass stat boosts onto a powerful sweeper. For example, a popular strategy is to use the move Shell Smash, which boosts Attack, Special Attack, and Speed by two stages, and then Baton Pass the boosts to a sweeper like Lucario.

2. Breed for optimal Individual Values, or IVs. This will probably be the most time-consuming part. You'd have to catch pokemon, figure out which ones have good IVs, and figure out how to breed them so that you can get all the ideal IVs onto one pokemon. If you also want to pass moves on to certain pokemon, it'll probably take place in this step too. Oh, in case you didn't know, IVs are values assigned to each stat of a pokemon, and affect how high it is at level 100. They go from 0 to 31. So, for example, a pokemon with an HP IV of 31 will have 31 more HP than the same pokemon with an HP IV of 0. So, depending on what role you want your pokemon to play, you'll want high IVs in certain stats. For example, if your pokemon is a physical attacker, ideally you'd want 31 IVs in attack, and preferably in speed too.

3. Train your pokemon to give them the right Effort Values, or EVs. Every pokemon, when defeated, gives your pokemon two things, experience and EVs. The EVs given by each pokemon is pre-set. For example, Rattata gives 1 speed EV when defeated. For every 4 EVs your pokemon gains, it gets 1 extra stat point at level 100. Each pokemon can accumulate 510 EVs at most in all stats, and can have no more than 252 in one individual stat. So, for example, a pokemon with 252 EVs in speed will have 63 more speed than the same pokemon with no EVs in speed. If this pokemon has already reached 252 EVs in speed, or has reached 510 overall, then fighting more Rattatas will only give experience, and no EVs. This means that you have a degree of freedom when it comes to your pokemon's stats. You can focus your EV training on the stats you want to be highest. So, for example, a physical attacker would probably have maxed EVs in attack and speed. EVs can also be gained from the mini-games, such as super training, but generally speaking fighting wild pokemon for EVs is more reliable, and usually faster.

4. Battle smart. When to use certain moves, when to switch, when to play mind games with your opponent, all of these must come from experience. The ability to predict your opponent's next move is often what distinguishes an average battler from a great one.

Me playing Borderlands:

1. Take mission.
2. Find bad guy.
3. Get ass handed to me.
Repeat steps 1-3 until I look up a strategy online that amount to "yeah, you're going to want to run some side quests before you fight that dude".

On the bright side, I've got a gun that sets dudes on fire, which is really all I want from a game.

I never do the mini-games. I did, but once you get to end game you find much better ways to EV train.

Also, I can breed and EV train pretty much any pokemon you want, assuming it is breedable. If it's from a past generation, it might take me a bit to get one at first, but pretty much any mon from the current gen I can breed and have a perfect version ready for you in a day.

I never do the mini-games. I did, but once you get to end game you find much better ways to EV train.

Also, I can breed and EV train pretty much any pokemon you want, assuming it is breedable. If it's from a past generation, it might take me a bit to get one at first, but pretty much any mon from the current gen I can breed and have a perfect version ready for you in a day.
What kind of sick, twisted pokemon biolab are you running?

Necronic

Staff member
I have been playing Planet Explorers exclusively since Saturday. It's definitely still an Alpha, I've basically gotten to the point in the game where the developers are writing script (so it just sort of stops), but the game itself is exceptional. It's like if Minecraft met Rust met Dwarf Fortress. But sci-fi.