What are you listening to II: Electric Bogaloo

Decided to see if there were any good Metal covers of "Ghost Riders in the Sky" out there.
Listened to about a dozen, and this version by Chrome Division felt the most like what I was looking for.

Hmm, never heard of this band before. Let's see what else they have. (listens to a few other things)
Huh. They sound a bit like Van Halen and Dimmu Borgir got together and had a baby.

(looks up the band)
Oh hey, looks like the lead singer of Chrome Division is also the lead singer of Dimmu Borgir.
Well, that explains a lot.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I can't tell. I don't think I've listened to contemporary adult music since it was still called "adult contemporary."

--Patrick
Adult Contemporary is something else entirely, and very little of what was featured in that video would be applicable.

"Adult Contemporary" is what might be called somewhere between pop-oldies and recent easy listening. So, like, Neil Diamond, Lionel Richie, Elton John, Michael Bolton, Sarah McLachlan, John Mayer, James Blunt, and Ed Sheeran.

Adult Contemporary is something else entirely, and very little of what was featured in that video would be applicable.
Yes, ... I know.
I said exactly what I meant. I don't think I've listened to OTA music radio stations for entertainment since...2007? Ish? Maybe earlier?

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Yes, ... I know.
I said exactly what I meant. I don't think I've listened to OTA music radio stations for entertainment since...2007? Ish? Maybe earlier?

--Patrick
Oh, AC was a thing waaaay earlier than that.

Also, you said "I haven't listened to contemporary adult music -"

None of what in that video was for adults. It was all for teens.

None of what in that video was for adults. It was all for teens.
Right, but then I couldn't've have done the clever word thing with the thing words.
Also, I may be up too late.

Again.

And I'm proofreading prose, but I keep procrastinating even though I have a deadline less than 3hrs away. It's like college all over again.

--Patrick

Needed something to fill my ears while I work on the computer in the living room while my wife watches movies that I don't want spoilt.
These seem to be filling the bill:

Thomas Bergersen: Into Darkness

Like something that would play during the credits of one of the Twilight movies, if only they had been good.

Thomas Bergersen: Children of the Sun

As above, reminds me of something that would play as part of the soundtrack to some modern TV fantasy drama, like The Shannara Chronicles or something.

One of the commenters on this guy's music complains that his work is moving away from the cinematic stuff he does with Two Steps From Hell, and is moving more and more towards trance. I can't say I have anything to complain about, really. It still fills my brain just as well.

--Patrick

Ah, Rhapsody... The band that got me into metal. Good choice.
I stumbled on At Vance through eMule, and soon enough I was mainlining Rhapsody and Korpiklaani. It gets you quick.

Haven't seen Rhapsody live, but I got to hear/meet Fabio Lione in 2011. I was going to an Alestorm concert, and one of the other bands (Kamelot) had him for vocals:
314556_761104119548_7906335_n[1].jpg

Korpiklaani and Alestorm are some good shit, man. Toe-tapping, head-banging fun :)

Barely know Kamelot, and only from before Fabio's time. Dude had a fantastic voice in Rhapsody, so I can't imagine he's messing them up too much, LOL.