What are you listening to II: Electric Bogaloo

I’m looking at this and thinking, “I don’t remember this at all.” And then I realized I was thinking of Hook, not Pan.

—Patrick

See, that one's fine. It's just someone having fun mashing up two songs. The other one is exactly what Kurt Cobain hated and feared his music would be turned into. Some soulless corporate cash grab.

The Beatles have been my favorite band forever so I love how this turned out, both the song and the video. It makes me both incredibly happy and incredibly sad.
I think the emotional story is better than the song. The song is C level at best for me. It's not as bad as Maxwells Hammer, but it quite forgettable, IMO.

This channel came up randomly on Youtube, clicked since I enoy Fly Me To The Moon. Did not expect that voice, wish she was more active

So something about these videos came across as really weird to me, and it wasn't until watching a bit I figured it out. She's lipsyncing what I assume is her own pre-recorded performance for the video. Which is perfectly fine, but when you record that close to the mic and then overlay that over a more open performance it hits sort of an aural uncanny valley, at least for me.

when you record that close to the mic and then overlay that over a more open performance it hits sort of an aural uncanny valley, at least for me.
This is why some of the Carpenters' videos can be jarring to me, since Karen almost always recorded so close to the mic. There's nothing like being a music guy to ruin recordings of "live" performances for you when the drums don't match what's being played, or they show a trombone player doing what is actually a baritone sax solo, etc.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
In 1968 Leonard Cohen met Janis Joplin at the Chelsea Hotel. After, he wrote a song called "Chelsea Hotel #2". As you know, every year I post one of my all-time favorite songs, "Ma'agalim" by a group called Jane Bordeaux. It's in Hebrew so I understand none of the lyrics but the song just slays me, especially with the video. (I'll post it in a spoiler below in case you've forgotten which video of which I speak.)

The reason I bring this up is because YouTube suggested a song for me by Jane Bordeaux. It's a cover of "Chelsea Hotel #2". I don't know who the male singer is but it's insanely beautiful. She sings in Hebrew, he sings in English and it just flows.

I don't know who the male singer is but it's insanely beautiful. She sings in Hebrew, he sings in English and it just flows.
Using Google Translate on the video details says that it is "Redband"

Appears to be the name of the band behind the puppet guy.

They have a Soundcloud site with this description:
"RedBand is a puppet folk-rock band. That's right.
Established in 2005 as a street performance originally called The Puppet Folk Revival,
RedBand mix live puppetry, music and uncensored adult humor in a unique way."

Not much else to go in that I was able to find in a quick googling.

Discovered this thanks to Todd's year-end wrap-up of the worst music of 2023. No, it didn't make that list, it was used as what I assume is the interstitial example of "good music" between each of the bad ones.

("This Is Why" - by Paramore)

I love the groove, the complexity in the mix, the whole go-stop-go of it.

Also discovered this artist via Pandora:

(Night Drive [Instrumental Version] - Timecop1983)

I don't tend to stumble over much Synthwave, so having Pandora put Timecop1983 on my instrumental station was different, and got me to look up an album or two. Calling yourself "Timecop1983" sounds a little clunky, but I guess it's less risky than calling yourself "Don Claude VanJam."

--Patrick

Kavinsky and Mitch are the only ones I don't recognize, might look for 'em.

...also discovered the following about Paramore right after posting the above. Wow.
--Patrick

Not music but I have been listening to This is Water like twice a week for the last month or so and for some reason it brings me to tears. Not boohoo but tears if I really focus on it.

I heard it sometime back but for whatever reason it didn't resonate. Like I thought it clever and nice. But now it's hard hitting. Anyhow, I feel like it's one of the wisest speeches I have ever heard.

I am sure all of you have heard it. Even if you have, it's worth another listen.

I am sure all of you have heard it.
I've never heard it, nor have I heard of David Wallace, and looking at what he's written never read anything by him either. And after listening to this, ehh... not sure I agree with many of his points, sounds kinda like any other commencement speech to me, but I'm happy you've found meaning in it.