Export thread

#Whamageddon2021 - WHAM FREE DIE HARDER

jwhouk

jwhouk

For those of you who forgot Last Christmas already...

1637794950822.png

So - Who's In?

NOTE: The Bonus Rule for our purposes is to post here when and where you got sent to Whamhalla.

EDIT:
WHAMHALLA 2021

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I won last year because of Covid. I imagine I'll win this year because of the same. I don't go anywhere, and I only listen to things I actively click on, so I'm not going to be proud of my win. It's like playing on easy mode.

Secret Santa

Secret Santa

I won last year because of Covid. I imagine I'll win this year because of the same. I don't go anywhere, and I only listen to things I actively click on, so I'm not going to be proud of my win. It's like playing on easy mode.
Don't tempt me to send you a birthday card that starts playing this song when you open it.

mikerc

mikerc

I got Whammed last week but that was pre-December so I'm not out yet right? My first thought on hearing it was "Already? Really? It's still November dammit!", my second thought was "oh no, the poor shop staff" but I was back in the same shop today & they weren't playing Christmas music so hopefully whoever had it playing last week was told to stop & given a well deserved beating.

jwhouk

jwhouk

No, thankfully. Rule #2 specifically states that the game starts at Midnight December 1, and ends at 11:59:59 PM December 24.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I got whammed on the first day for two years in a row. Let's see if I do better this year.

Cat

Cat

Nah I actually like that song and play it all year

Tress

Tress

I’ve never done this before. I’d like to give it a whirl.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Dodged a bullet a week or so ago because it was both out of season and a cover. Will my luck hold out once it's game on?

Celt Z

Celt Z

You know, the first year I lasted a really long time, but I was unhappy because I couldn't listen to my Xmas music with abandon. Last year, skipping this was no pressure. Now I can't decide if I want the stress or not.

jwhouk

jwhouk

MindDetective

MindDetective

I'm in

Shawn

Shawn

I'm in.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I'm in, but I'll probably suiciWham pretty soon.

phil

phil

I ain't opening any links this year

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

Nah I actually like that song and play it all year
Same I could never join this contest.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Sure why not, though honestly it's not much of a challenge for me, either. Even before Covid I was mostly a homebody.

mikerc

mikerc

Same I could never join this contest.
Oh, we know. I ain't clicking any links or videos you or @bhamv3 post next month. Pair of dirty rotten teamkillers. :p

MindDetective

MindDetective

The main danger for me is my wife putting on Christmas mixes.

Dirona

Dirona

PXL_20211126_233841662.MP.jpg

At least it's not December yet, but this radio station is definitely out for blood.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Has anyone done a mashup of this with "Never Gonna Give You Up?" It sounds like they'd go together, and it would be the ultimate Christmas grenade.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Has anyone done a mashup of this with "Never Gonna Give You Up?" It sounds like they'd go together, and it would be the ultimate Christmas grenade.

--Patrick
Combine that with a fade to black and fading back in to the Skyrim intro, and you have the trifecta.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Oh, we know. I ain't clicking any links or videos you or @bhamv3 post next month. Pair of dirty rotten teamkillers. :p
One of these days I will successfully PK someone.

Shawn

Shawn

The hotel lobby music has officially switched over to the "Holiday selection". I don't know what the playlist includes, but I have not heard Last Christmas yet. Course knowing my luck the moment I do discover if it's on the list I'll already be out.

phil

phil

The one day.

THE ONE DAY that I have to help out in a cafe and I'm already out 20 minutes after getting here.

14bR.gif

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

The one day.

THE ONE DAY that I have to help out in a cafe and I'm already out 20 minutes after getting here.

View attachment 39630
Ever notice how after he slams that money down, that top bill sticks to his hand a little as he pulls away? :p

jwhouk

jwhouk

Dammit, I didn't even make it 24 hours!

Car had SiriusXM. In their attempt to try to convince me to re-subscribed, they re-activated my radio for a couple of weeks, so I took advantage. I got out of work this afternoon, and at 2:45 PM I punched the button for Holly (the contemporary Christmas channel).

"...Crowded room, and those tired eyes..."

DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN.

Shawn

Shawn

Episode 3 of Hawkeye is safe to watch.

Krisken

Krisken

Episode 3 of Hawkeye is safe to watch.
Oh, that's good to know. Hadn't even considered that.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I worked from home on December 1 and 2, so that means I've officially beaten my previous two years' records this year.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Dammit, I didn't even make it 24 hours!

Car had SiriusXM. In their attempt to try to convince me to re-subscribed, they re-activated my radio for a couple of weeks, so I took advantage. I got out of work this afternoon, and at 2:45 PM I punched the button for Holly (the contemporary Christmas channel).

"...Crowded room, and those tired eyes..."

DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN.
Nobody wins at Russian roulette, son.

PatrThom

PatrThom

12:07PM EST - Over the speakers in the waiting room after calling into work so I could take my wife to the dentist.
I answered a phone call while I was waiting, and when I hung up and started paying attention to the world around me again, it was already over two minutes into the song. If I hadn’t tried to get off the call so quickly, I might’ve made it through the entire song without realizing it, but alas.

—Patrick

Celt Z

Celt Z

I swear the local radio stations and stores' piped-in music are savvy to this game now, because every time this song comes on, it's the Taylor Swift cover. They're lulling me into a false sense of security, I know it!

EDIT: I was right! They got me this morning as I was dropping Li'l Z off at school. Oh well, at least I can spend the rest of my XMas season stress-free*.

(*Well, no more Wham!-stress. The rest of it....ugh.)

grub

grub

I just lost. Fucking Starbucks. We're having serious supply issues in the lower mainland area (outside Vancouver), so I went in to not hold up the drive through and there it was.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I've been more or less tempting fate nu listening to a commercial christmas themed channel for a few hours with the screen off.
I turn it on to see thisIMG20211202224126.jpg
"Volgende" means "next" for those who don't speak Dutch.
Close call, but Whamhalla avoided...for now.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Fucking Starbucks.
Dude. You went into a starbucks. That's like... going to a dairy in the "don't hear a cow moo" game!

grub

grub

I haven't been inside a store in over a year, the drive thru is so handy. But with all the shortages in this neck of the woods, I felt I had to in order to not hold up the line.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Whamhalla avoided...for now.
200.gif

--Patrick

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

I swear the local radio stations and stores' piped-in music are savvy to this game now, because every time this song comes on, it's the Taylor Swift cover. They're lulling me into a false sense of security, I know it!

EDIT: I was right! They got me this morning as I was dropping Li'l Z off at school. Oh well, at least I can spend the rest of my XMas season stress-free*.

(*Well, no more Wham!-stress. The rest of it....ugh.)
You’re not out. 3rd rule is it must be the original Wham! version of the song.

General Specific

General Specific

You’re not out. 3rd rule is it must be the original Wham! version of the song.
I think that's what she's saying, she was getting the Taylor Swift version and then she got the Wham one

jwhouk

jwhouk

This is correct.

Shawn

Shawn

I'm out. 12/8/21 at 3:53am. Stupid hotel lobby holiday music line-up.

Frank

Frank

I'm glad the 3rd rule applies or Little V's cover that I just heard because of Youtube autoplay would have ended me.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I'm three hours into a six hour shift in a christmas market. Loud poppy christmas music blasting the whole time. Plenty of Last Christmas, but No Wham version yet...

PatrThom

PatrThom

Loud poppy christmas music blasting the whole time.
:notes:Warrrrrr....iiiiiis....ooooooverrrrrr
Nooooooowwwwww...
:notes:

--Patrick

Bubble181

Bubble181

I'm three hours into a six hour shift in a christmas market. Loud poppy christmas music blasting the whole time. Plenty of Last Christmas, but No Wham version yet...
Well, that was too good to last. It was until 6pm, and at five to six, as the very last song, they finished with the original. Ah well.

Tress

Tress

I’m out. It was at 7:16pm PST.

Betrayed by my own child.:facepalm:

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

To make it more fair, I've been going into grocery stores instead of curbside pickup.

Look Halforums! I'm braving Covid for this game! Are you not amused! :p

Still safe.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I’m in the grocery store. They’re playing Christmas music. I have a feeling it’s coming. Two songs later I am out.

phil

phil

How many more need to suffer before wham is held accountable for their crimes?

Celt Z

Celt Z

I suppose you could write Andrew Ridgeley a strongly worded letter. Dunno if you're going to get much of a response from George Michael.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

I suppose you could write Andrew Ridgeley a strongly worded letter. Dunno if you're going to get much of a response from George Michael.
I would expect George Michael’s response to be more spiritual in nature.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Ouija boards are the unwanted calls of the afterlife. Thought you could rest in peace? Nah. Bunch of 12-year-olds want to know if their crush likes them. AGAIN.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Ouija boards are the unwanted calls of the afterlife. Thought you could rest in peace? Nah. Bunch of 12-year-olds want to know if their crush likes them. AGAIN.
F-F-S-L-E-A-V-E-M-E-A-L-O-N-E

PatrThom

PatrThom

No problem telling that this one was a cover.

--Patrick

mikerc

mikerc

GasBandit

GasBandit

I keep forgetting that All I Want For Christmas by Mariah Carey doesn't also disqualify me from this game and I keep thinking I've lost... but I haven't yet.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I've heard it only one other time this passed Mon while I was waiting in line at the bank.
It's apparently much less common than I thought.

--Patrick

Celt Z

Celt Z

Around here, The Wham orginal in getting played more and more the closer we get to Christmas. I haven't heard a cover of it in over a week. I swear this is on purpose. (Also, the Grinchy ambulance, who, as part of the townwide Santa visit/parade, had the original blasting over its speakers.)

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

I’m still around and testing my luck more today by having to go to the mall theater to see No Way Home.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I survived :D
I even tried to make it more fair by going into the mall, and into grocery stores. Still, I wasn't out in public as much as I'd be in an 'ordinary' year so it doesn't feel like much of a win.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

I also survived, been in several stores over the past couple of weeks. Even took a day trip up near Tin’s crochet clatch last weekend, with the wife skipping to random Christmas music stations on the drive there and back.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Survived. A few Walmart and Food Lion trips, but they didn't get me.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I surprisingly survived this year.

evilmike

evilmike

I haven't been paying the most attention, but I was out as of 8pm Christmas Eve. I was out taking pictures and a car drove by blasting the song.

MindDetective

MindDetective

I lived!

GasBandit

GasBandit

I made it, but like Tin, I don't feel like I was ever really in the line of fire.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

After 2 years of winning in a row: Winning is not nearly as fun as telling the war story of how you were taken out.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Winning is not nearly as fun as telling the war story of how you were taken out.
Someone should make a Saving Private Ryan/1917-esque GIF of someone running through wartime, narrowly avoiding being hit by George Michael.

--Patrick

mikerc

mikerc

Oh sure, now that Whamageddon is over someone finally tells me that my local supermarket has quiet times when the radio isn't playing & tannoy announcements are emergency only. :censored:

GasBandit

GasBandit

And to celebrate the end of whammageddon season

A little nightmare fuel crossover from the deep fake thread.

Frank

Frank

I forgot to mention it here but I got Whammed on Dec 23rd at the grocery store.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Yeah, I lost a few weeks so, too. Can't remember the exact date. My building's lobby has a radio playing Christmas songs by the tree and I heard the song as I was leaving.

I wasn't really playing, though, honestly. In fact, I had to stop and think "Wait, is this the song everyone is trying to avoid? I think it is."

PatrThom

PatrThom

12:07PM EST - Over the speakers in the waiting room after [I took] my wife to the dentist.
Had to go back to the same dentist today for a follow-up.
They are not playing any music at all in the waiting area. Grr. :mad:

—Patrick

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I think I heard it last week at a Mexican Restaurant. But it was a cover in Spanish.

Also I still do not think I have heard the song outside of last year's thread where it was linked.

bhamv3

bhamv3

It is December 5, 2022. I got whammed when I heard the song playing in the street today at lunchtime. Infuriatingly, I could not tell where the music was coming from, though my best guess would be someone was playing it on their phone.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I went to a potluck on Saturday, and they had Christmas music playing on the TV with Ryan Seacrest slowly destroying my soul between songs. I was certain I was gonna get whammed, but I somehow survived

Shawn

Shawn

I've been whammed several times already at work. Nothing I can do to avoid it. They got that shit programmed in the song loop.

PatrThom

PatrThom

So far just a cover. But it's coming, I just know it.

--Patrick

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

I went to a potluck on Saturday, and they had Christmas music playing on the TV with Ryan Seacrest slowly destroying my soul between songs. I was certain I was gonna get whammed, but I somehow survived
You didn’t survive, you are actually now dead. Seacrest claimed another soul. You’re still in the game though.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I got it last night as I was driving home in the car. The funny/sad part is I had been singing along, and was probably a 1/3 way into the song before I realized what had happened. Laughed, and kept singing.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I got it last night as I was driving home in the car. The funny/sad part is I had been singing along, and was probably a 1/3 way into the song before I realized what had happened. Laughed, and kept singing.
That's like the whamageddon equivalent of not realizing you've been shot until after the combat dies down and you sit down and take off your coat :rofl:

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Got whammed this weekend just flipping radio channels while out getting groceries.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I had a close call a couple days ago. Fortunately just Mariah Carey, but I gtfo before I could get whammed.

Dirona

Dirona

On the way to an evening event on the 2nd - laughed when it came on, and then had to explain what "Whamageddon" was to @Eriol who was with me.
Heard it again on the way home that same evening.
Clearly that radio station needs a longer or more varied playlist.

phil

phil

I got a good feeling about this year. My only risk is that I've taken some dishwashing shifts at the nearby IKEA but I wear headphones and the dishwasher is loud.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I wear headphones and the dishwasher is loud.
:notes:Laaast Christmas, I gaLAA LAAA CAN’T HEEAR YOUUU…”

—Patrick

General Specific

General Specific

Had a team meeting last Thursday and we always have music while everyone is joining. It was Christmas music that time and I got hit with a cover of So This is Christmas, Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas time (Wings), and then the first half of Mariah Carey's All I Want for Christmas is You. I was waiting on a Whamming, but it never arrived.

I do have 2 holiday parties to go to, though.

Zappit

Zappit

Is it too late to get in on this? I haven’t heard the song yet.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Is it too late to get in on this? I haven’t heard the song yet.
They may not be aware, but actually everybody everywhere is participating. It's like the Game in that regards (sorry, you lost!).

mikerc

mikerc

They may not be aware, but actually everybody everywhere is participating. It's like the Game in that regards (sorry, you lost!).
You Bastard! :mad:

phil

phil

:notes:Laaast Christmas, I gaLAA LAAA CAN’T HEEAR YOUUU…”

—Patrick
If a wham plays in a mall and no one happens hears it does it really make a sound?

MindDetective

MindDetective

I haven't heard it yet because my wife always puts on "Indie Christmas" to avoid the pop stuff. I don't mind the pop stuff, but I don't have much occasion to get Whammed. Honestly, I don't mind losing that game, as long as I never hear Christmas Shoes again.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I haven't heard it yet because my wife always puts on "Indie Christmas" to avoid the pop stuff. I don't mind the pop stuff, but I don't have much occasion to get Whammed. Honestly, I don't mind losing that game, as long as I never hear Christmas Shoes again.
If I never hear "The Christmas Shoes" again, it'll be too soon. Good god, is that the worst holiday song ever written.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

you ain't getting me, Reddit.
1670359097040.png

PatrThom

PatrThom

If I never hear "The Christmas Shoes" again, it'll be too soon. Good god, is that the worst holiday song ever written.
No.

--Patrick

Far

Far

Wasn't a much better movie.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Wasn't a much better movie.
Which one? I think there were three?

—Patrick

PatrThom

PatrThom

Ambushed by another cover at the store today. Christmas is toying with me.

—Patrick

MindDetective

MindDetective

FB_IMG_1670619292222.jpg

Far

Far

Fucked by clock radio.

Sara_2814

Sara_2814

After years of no Whamming, I got Whammed twice this weekend (90% sure they were both the original).

On Sunday, it was followed by Do They Know It's Christmas, the second worst Christmas song ever written. How is that song still being played? :eek:

PatrThom

PatrThom

How is that song still being played? :eek:
If they stop playing it, other people will be able to claim it and redo it to their own standards.
Maybe between this and "We Are The World," it's the most efficient way to pay royalties to the largest number of people at once?

--Patrick

blotsfan

blotsfan

Just flipping radio stations and there it is. It’s not even really a Christmas station, the next song they played wasn’t a Christmas song. It feels like a drive-by whamming.

evilmike

evilmike

Just flipping radio stations and there it is. It’s not even really a Christmas station, the next song they played wasn’t a Christmas song. It feels like a drive-by whamming.
I literally had that happen to me last year. I was out taking pictures for my email Christmas cards and a car drove playing the song.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Faculty party. Whammed.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

yeah, yeah, covers don't count. Inspired by the FF XIV thread about playing it in game.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I think I've been Whammed?
I went to the grocery store last Christmas night to get eggs, milk, cherries--the essentials. At some point I realized that the PA system was playing "Last Christmas," but I legitimately couldn't hear it well enough to know if it was a cover or the original so...I'm counting myself as Wham'd since I couldn't tell for sure that it was NOT the original.

--Patrick

mikerc

mikerc

Listening to a radio station and they actually gave advance warning that the next song would be Wham & Last Christmas if anyone wanted to avoid getting Whammed.

Of course since I was somewhere I couldn't leave & didn't have control of the radio in still out anyway but I appreciate the attempt to keep people alive.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Plug your ears or sing VERY loudly yourself :-D

General Specific

General Specific

Still currently alive. About to head out to my second work-related holiday party, so we will see.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Nearly got whammed by a Jimmy Eat World cover.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Volunteered at the Christmas Market for the local animal shelter. Commercial Christmas music 8 hours on end. Few close calls with covers but they got me in the end:rolleyes:

phil

phil

The fucking ALT ROCK station got me!

God damn. It *may* have been a different cover but I'm not 100% sure so I have to put myself to maintain my honor. And of course their website sucks and won't tell me their recently played songs correctly.

watch-game-of-thrones.gif

PatrThom

PatrThom

The fucking ALT ROCK station got me!
You just know that some places are playing it out of rotation just to mess with folks. Like people driving down a busy street blaring it in the car just to troll.

—Patrick

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I had a friend over the other day, and she was scrolling Facebook reels and it came on. Luckily, it was some kind of cover done by a family, so I was safe, but I told her "Stop scrolling now!" lol

General Specific

General Specific

Got through the holiday party, thought I was home free. Went to Lowe’s to see if they had a part I needed and got Whammed while I was in the store. :(

Zappit

Zappit

They got me. Kids in the cafeteria started singing it. Apparently, it’s on the choir’s Christmas concert list, so a few started harmonizing and WHAM!

This was much easier last year when I was still recovering from my transplant and barely left the house.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

They got me. Kids in the cafeteria started singing it. Apparently, it’s on the choir’s Christmas concert list, so a few started harmonizing and WHAM!

This was much easier last year when I was still recovering from my transplant and barely left the house.
Rule #3 is that remixes and covers don’t count. Unless your school choir resurrected George and already had Andrew you’re okay.

Frank

Frank

I never heard it once and I'm not going anywhere today so that's it then. I think I've defeated WHammageddon this year.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I never heard it once and I'm not going anywhere today so that's it then. I think I've defeated WHammageddon this year.
If you survive Whammageddon, each subsequent year you get to add another song to avoid. Congrats, and good luck avoiding All I Want For Christmas Is You next year along with Last Christmas:awesome:

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

If you survive Whammageddon, each subsequent year you get to add another song to avoid. Congrats, and good luck avoiding All I Want For Christmas Is You next year along with Last Christmas:awesome:
What would the three year stack look like, because I’ve avoided both of those so far.

Bubble181

Bubble181

What would the three year stack look like, because I’ve avoided both of those so far.
I wouldn't know, White Christmas?

PatrThom

PatrThom

Snoopy And The Red Baron.

--Patrick

evilmike

evilmike

Actually made it over the finish line this year!

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Same :D

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Snoopy And The Red Baron.

--Patrick
Man, now I’ve gotta go find that one! Haven’t heard it in ages.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

That’s two years for me, and it’s been so pleasant. Probably more pleasant for my wife too, I make commentary for the song when I hear it.

Dave

Dave

PatrThom

PatrThom

Same kind of energy.

--Patrick

Dei

Dei

I will let John Scalzi state my stance on this.

General Specific

General Specific

It would be:
1) Last Christmas (Wham!)
2) All I Want for Christmas is You (Mariah Carey)
3) Wonderful Christmas Time (Wings)
4) Fairytale of New York (The Pogues w/ Kirsty MacColl)
5) Jingle Bell Rock (Bobby Helms)
6+ any Christmas music at all

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

I would never pass level 3, as Wonderful Christmastime is a song in my personal rotation. It doesn’t come up often since my personal stuff ranges from Mannheim Steamroller to August Bleeds Red to Weird Al to TSO.

PatrThom

PatrThom

my personal stuff ranges from Mannheim Steamroller to August Bleeds Red to Weird Al to TSO.
...and we discover we have arrived right back where we started!

--Patrick

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

im-out.gif

I said "Okay Google play holiday music."

Happy Mothers Day

grub

grub

I walked into a business today and got Whammed. I'm so upset, I didn't even make it to noon.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I'm vending 3d prints at holiday markets for the next 3 weekends. I don't imagine I'm gonna survive this year.

Celt Z

Celt Z

We were just having this discussion at the table this morning:
"It's the first of December! That means... WHAMAGEDDON!"
"YAY!"
"But that means we have to stop listening to the Christmas music station so we don't get Wham'd."
"Aww, boo."
"But if we get Wham'd early, then we can listen to whatever we want!"
"Y...wait...but we... I don't know what I want!"

It's going to be a long December. ...or is it?!?

GasBandit

GasBandit

I was worried I got whammed a couple days ago, but it was not december, and it was a non-Wham cover of Last Christmas. So I'm still in the clear.

But my girlfriend likes to go out shopping, so I am in much more jeopardy this year than previously.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

5:03pm for me, wife changed over to SiriusXM Holly channel on the way downtown to attend the first “big” event of the Christmas season with the lighting of Rudolf the pump-jack. I think It’s been a couple of years since I’ve heard the song at all. Just for reference, a photo of Rudolf, giant guy to the left is my buddy Justin.
IMG_4864.jpeg

Celt Z

Celt Z

Dammit!
We got into the car this morning and I purposely left the radio station on one that DOESN'T play Christmas music. Or so I thought. All three of us got Wham'd mid-song.
To add insult to injury, right after the song finished, the dj says, "For all of you playing Whamaggedon, looks like you're out for this season!" AAAAASSSSSSSSSSS.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Dammit!
We got into the car this morning and I purposely left the radio station on one that DOESN'T play Christmas music. Or so I thought. All three of us got Wham'd mid-song.
To add insult to injury, right after the song finished, the dj says, "For all of you playing Whamaggedon, looks like you're out for this season!" AAAAASSSSSSSSSSS.
That radio jockey chose violence today.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Gay coworker who just hooked up with a new boyfriend was feeling EXTRA festive today and played it. I can practically see the cartoon stars and hearts bubbling up around his head while he works. It's a little unsettling, really.

--Patrick

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

It’s playing as my son and I eat at Subway. I’m singing along. He loves that part lol :)

Dirona

Dirona

I'm out. Just started as I was parking the car after work.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

survived the first market. But I'm not surprised. It was a pagan-backed pagan-themed popup market.
The next one is the most iffy :D It's a "Winterfest" billed as a family event.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Oh right I meant to complain here. I got got by my wife watching TikTok in the same room as me.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Bubble181

Bubble181

Luckily, that counts as a remix/cover/whatever so it doesn't instantly kill everyone off :p

PatrThom

PatrThom

My wife has the same complaint.
"What, he gave it away? To whom? And he's giving his heart to someone special this year? How did he get it back in the first place? I have so many unanswered questions! This is a TERRIBLE allegory."

--Patrick

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Luckily, that counts as a remix/cover/whatever so it doesn't instantly kill everyone off :p
Only if you remix the sound that plays in your head.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

View attachment 45122

I said "Okay Google play holiday music."

Happy Mothers Day
That's twice now!

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I thought I got whammed at Walmart, but they were playing some modern cover that was so autotuned the singers almost sounded like robots. I think I'd rather have been whammed.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Imgur got me. Someone put it as the background to a video of cats destroying christmas trees.

figmentPez

figmentPez

The very next day you texted me k.png

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Fuck. Just got wham'd by Buckets the Drummer on Instagram. I was idly scrolling through my timeline and his video immediately started playing.

On a related note, I fucking hate Instagram for not having an option to turn off autoplay on videoes. You can turn off sound, but that's it.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I survived winterfest. Almost all music was Christmas carols performed by an elementary school choir

General Specific

General Specific

Had a scare today. Fellow tech at a high school posted a video of the choir rehearsing the song, so didn’t count.

evilmike

evilmike

I'm out.

figmentPez

figmentPez

If anyone is looking for some Wham-free Christmas music, Snow Angels by Over the Rhine remains one of my favorite Christmas albums.

Among my favorite tracks are:
Goodbye Charles (an instrumental track clearly inspired by the Vince Guaraldi Trio's work on A Charlie Brown Christmas)

All I Ever Get for Christmas is Blue

Snowed in With You

North Pole Man

GasBandit

GasBandit

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I'd have lost already if *that* was the game ;)

bhamv3

bhamv3

I was sitting in a department store food court this past weekend, having lunch with my wife, when I noticed they were playing Christmas music. Strangely enough, though, even though I heard pretty much all the classics, I did not get whammed. I feel like Neo dodging bullets in the Matrix.

mikerc

mikerc

If anyone is looking for some Wham-free Christmas music, Snow Angels by Over the Rhine remains one of my favorite Christmas albums.

Among my favorite tracks are:
Goodbye Charles (an instrumental track clearly inspired by the Vince Guaraldi Trio's work on A Charlie Brown Christmas)

All I Ever Get for Christmas is Blue

Snowed in With You

North Pole Man
While you are more trustworthy than certain other forumites no way no how am I clicking on any video links in this thread until I'm out of have won for this year.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

I haven’t heard anything from the shrill banshee and his year.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I haven’t heard anything from the shrill banshee and his year.
Really? Lucky you... I've been Mariah'd 5 or 6 times so far.

PatrThom

PatrThom

"5 or 6 times" sounds kinda low, tbh.

--Patrick

Celt Z

Celt Z

Almost every time I've heard "AIWFCIY" in the wild, it been a cover version. But my son also loves the original, so I've heard it a couple of times at home.

I think because of these games and the "Covers don't count" rule, I've been hearing more covers of "Last Christmas" and Mariah this year. But that's also lead to hearing some truly awful covers. The worst offenders of both songs were, by an odd coincidence, male artists, but I didn't catch the names either time, so I don't know who's version to avoid in the future. The Mariah one, whoever this guy is, couldn't keep his own rhythm and sounded like he was trying to scat-sing it. The "Last Christmas" one sounded like something you'd hear at a XMas party at a club in The Village, except they wouldn't sing any of the verses, just the refrain, and then they changed the words of the bridge, but it didn't fit the rhythm of the song?!? Even Li'l Z, who was sitting in the car next to me, was like, "This is the worst version I've ever heard.".

GasBandit

GasBandit

"5 or 6 times" sounds kinda low, tbh.

--Patrick
We tend to stay at home ;)

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Really? Lucky you... I've been Mariah'd 5 or 6 times so far.
Usually I never hear Wham! but tons of the shrill harpy, I’m kinda happy I haven’t had to hear her sing my personal most detested “Christmas” song of all time. Santa Baby.

blotsfan

blotsfan

While you are more trustworthy than certain other forumites no way no how am I clicking on any video links in this thread until I'm out of have won for this year.
One of the rules is "don't be an asshole and try to make others lose."

General Specific

General Specific

I went and just looked up the album playlist on youtube and listened to the whole thing earlier today, it is quite nice. Slightly jazzy, but not overbearingly so and they avoid the main pitfalls of Christmas albums (schmaltz and just remaking traditional songs)

mikerc

mikerc

One of the rules is "don't be an asshole and try to make others lose."
Pretty sure there's been at least one case of someone posting a Last Christmas video in a "here's some non-Wham Christmas music" post a few years ago. Granted for Pez to do so would be massively OOC, but better safe than sorry when I can just check the videos after Whammageddon is over anyway.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Internet being what it is, there's always the chance that someone will modify a video after it's posted, too.

--Patrick

bhamv3

bhamv3

I've tried to PK people before, but I also made it ludicrously obvious.

mikerc

mikerc

Last Christmas is the UK Christmas number one. Oh great, now I need to avoid news shows/channels because they'll play a snippet when they report on this.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Official survivor! Yes, it's past midnight here. Merry Christmas everybody!

Frank

Frank

I made it this year too.

Far

Far

So technically I guess I heard it yesterday but I didn't actually. We had our family dinner and my sister was wearing a tshirt that had the single depicted on it. About 2 hours after arriving while eating I mentioned that so far I'd survived Whamadgeddon and then explained what it was. Then she said "We'll you did lose, it was playing when you got here." but with saying hello to everyone including my favourite dog other than my own, I didn't actively actually hear it so I don't think it counts?

Frank

Frank

I would say it doesn't count unless you actively recognize it yourself.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Rule #4: You're out when you recognize the song.

I made it this year too.

Tress

Tress

Woo! First year I’ve made it!

GasBandit

GasBandit

I am slightly amused that, after years of winning easily due to being an antisocial shut in, I finally lose when I have a girlfriend that wants to go out all the time... But it was imgur that got me and I never heard it when we went out.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Survivor...and I didn't even try to avoid public spaces this year

bhamv3

bhamv3

I made it too.

Funnily enough, the movie Last Christmas (starring Emilia Clarke and Henry Golding) was on TV a couple of days ago, and I was all like, "CHANGE THE CHANNEL, CHANGE THE CHANNEL, I KNOW WHAT'S ABOUT TO HAPPEN!!!"

General Specific

General Specific

Officially a survivor this year as well. I was a bit worried about the few parties I had to go to, but they turned out fine. Instrumental-only music at one and we were outside at a restaurant and so no music for the other. Then, we stayed home and I purposefully avoided Christmas stuff since we weren't really celebrating this year.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I made it too.

Funnily enough, the movie Last Christmas (starring Emilia Clarke and Henry Golding) was on TV a couple of days ago, and I was all like, "CHANGE THE CHANNEL, CHANGE THE CHANNEL, I KNOW WHAT'S ABOUT TO HAPPEN!!!"
You have to recognize the song, and we all know you'd have been too busy staring at Emilia Clarke.

bhamv3

bhamv3

You have to recognize the song, and we all know you'd have been too busy staring at Emilia Clarke.
AND Henry Golding! He's one good-looking man, let me tell you.