Export thread

#Whamageddon 2020 - WHAM HARDER

jwhouk

jwhouk

Totally Plagarized from Whamageddon.com

---

The Rules
It's not that complicated. Allow us to enlighten you.

The First Rule
The objective is to go as long as possible without hearing WHAM's Christmas classic; "Last Christmas".

The Second Rule
The game starts on December 1st, and ends at midnight on December 24th. Use your local timezone, if you'd like.
(Yes, we're European heathens)

The Third Rule
Only the original version applies. Enjoy the #!€#%!€%€& out of remixes and covers.

The Fourth Rule
You're out as soon as you recognise the song.

Bonus Rule
Post on social media with the #whamageddon hashtag when you get hit. Since this is a forum game, post in this thread when you get hit with the tag #IgotWHAMMED.

PvP? (No, not that useless hack)
While we can't stop you from deliberately sending your friends to Whamhalla, the intention is that this is a survival game. Not a Battle Royale. So ... don't be a dick, mkay?

---

For WHAMHALLA 2020 click here

---

HALFORUMS WHAMHALLA 2019

2019 WHAMMAGEDDON SURVIVORS

bhamv3

bhamv3

Question: Does having Last Christmas stuck in our head count? If it matters, I'm definitely hearing the original version in my head right now.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I'd say no, but if you actually hear the song - boom, off to Whamhalla with you.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I hear that song at least five times a day at work, so... this isn't gonna be good for me.

PatrThom

PatrThom

You can always just head straight to YouTube if you want to end it early.

--Patrick

Cog

Cog

I don't know this song. Or maybe I know it but I don't know if it is the song you are talking about. So, I already won this game.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Since it's not yet December 1st, here's the song so everyone knows when they've lost:

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Hah. I'm gonna win for sure. All my Christmas shopping is done, and I don't listen to the radio.

Only way I can lose if my wife plays it from her computer.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Hah. I'm gonna win for sure. All my Christmas shopping is done, and I don't listen to the radio.

Only way I can lose if my wife plays it from her computer.
Or if someone Whamrolls you.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Is that what song is? With that new movie with psycho dragon lady?

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Or if someone Whamrolls you.
PvP? (No, not that useless hack)
While we can't stop you from deliberately sending your friends to Whamhalla, the intention is that this is a survival game. Not a Battle Royale. So ... don't be a dick, mkay?
Besides..I have headphones plugged into my computer, but only put them up to my head when I want to actively listen to something. So even a whamroll would fail, because I'd see the video and choose not to put the headphones up to my head ;)

Someone would have to be really devious and make a funny and clever video which can only be understood completely by hearing the conversation, but replace the sound with a whamroll, thus tricking me into lifting the headphones to my head.

figmentPez

figmentPez

You'll have to be careful about what shows and movies you watch, too.

Some titles that play "Last Christmas" at some point:
- Last Christmas (2019)
- Black Mirror - episode "White Christmas"
- Misfits - episode "Christmas Special"
- Cold Case - episode "Sabotage" (this one would be perfect for a WhamRoll)
- The Office (British Version) - episode "Christmas Special: Part 2"

Zappit

Zappit

This seems pretty stupid. Of COURSE I'm in!

Christmas shopping's already done, I'm at a point in my life when I simply can't stand 99.9% of Christmas movies or specials, and I haven't had to work in a retail setting for almost eight years now. (Wow, damn. I'm getting old.)

Bring it on.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I always just Wham myself at some point. I like the song!

jwhouk

jwhouk

To be specific, it's only the version done by George Michael and Andrew Ridgeley; none of the covers done by other artists count.

bhamv3

bhamv3

To be specific, it's only the version done by George Michael and Andrew Ridgeley; none of the covers done by other artists count.
Yay, I can watch Glee safely!

(This sentence would probably sound a bit weird out of context.)

Celt Z

Celt Z

I think you guys who believe you're safe are forgetting they play it in grocery stores, too. It shows up in the most random places.

Yay, I can watch Glee safely!

(This sentence would probably sound a bit weird out of context.)
Only for anyone else.

Fun Size

Fun Size

I have a dog named George Micheal (based I believe on Arrested Development) who shall only hear Faith and Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go from his namesake if I can help it.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I have not yet begun Christmas shopping, we have Santa photos with the kid still to do and my wife LOVES Christmas music so from the Toronto Santa Claus Parade to Christmas Day the only station she plays on the radio in the car is 24/7 Christmas music, so I'm fucked. But I'm in.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'll let you guys know if and when I lose :p

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

I will lose sometime on December 2.

evilmike

evilmike

bhamv3

bhamv3

It's 2:08pm on December 1, local time. #IgotWHAMMED at the supermarket. I'm out.

grub

grub

I'm out. My wife played that stupid song tonight. She said they play it at work all the time.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I am disappointed neither of you used this GIF:

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

#IgotWHAMMED
Dec 1st, 10:26am
Helping my wife out at a small vendors market.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I fear for my safety. My wife wants to go on a date night tonight, with shopping and a movie beforehand. So many opportunities to get Whammed

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I fear for my safety. My wife wants to go on a date night tonight, with shopping and a movie beforehand. So many opportunities to get Whammed
Godspeed

Bubble181

Bubble181

I thought I got Whammed earlier, but then the rap chorus came in and I realized it was a remix. Phew.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Russian roulette: "Hey Siri/Ok Google/Alexa, play some Christmas favorites."

--Patrick

Dirona

Dirona

I forgot to post - yesterday afternoon while waiting for Eriol to run an errand, I waited in the car, unsuspecting. Then - WHAM!
I'm out.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I forgot to post - yesterday afternoon while waiting for Eriol to run an errand, I waited in the car, unsuspecting. Then - WHAM!
I'm out.
I think the rule is starting December 1st, but if you'd rather count it just so it's over with, I think we'd totally understand.

We were decorating the house yesterday and I had on my Christmas mix. I kept waiting for it to happen to me, even though I know it doesn't count yet. But the song never came on! (To be fair, my Christmas Mix playlist has a LOT of songs collected over 20+ years.) Now I don't know if it's worse to Wham myself, or have it hanging over my head, lurking every time I go somewhere.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I don't know if it's worse to Wham myself, or have it hanging over my head, lurking every time I go somewhere.
That's what I was getting at...Christmas mix at work, the uncountable hours I'm going to be spending in malls, coworkers and their own tunes, it's just a minefield.

--Patrick

jwhouk

jwhouk

Game is on. Good luck.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I didn't know what the song even sounded like, so I had play the video to find out.

Guess I already lost.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

PatrThom

PatrThom

I didn't know what the song even sounded like, so I had play the video to find out.

Guess I already lost.
headon.jpg

--Patrick

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Day spent at Texas Ren Fest, lots of comments on my Baby Groot shoulder rider, but no WHAM!

PatrThom

PatrThom

@ThatNickGuy - The picture depicts a character from a game (Fortnite) who is (presumably) about to remove himself from the game by accidentally(?) shooting himself in the face.
...much like someone playing #Whammageddon might do if they were to deliberately watch the music video during the eligibility period.

--Patrick

Wahad

Wahad

I will probably survive the whole month since I always have headphones on when I'm out and about.

Were it not for the office christmas parties which will probably have at least one occurrence of this song unless the DJ decides otherwise, so here's hoping.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Ah yes. Start the car, go to the knob to turn off the radio, first 2 seconds I hear...ka-blam.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

thought I might be done for at lunch.

Went for sushi, so didn't worry. But the sushi place was playing a loop of "christmas classics", so I got a bit nervous.

But then I realized they were all low-royalty cover versions, so then I was able to relax.

PatrThom

PatrThom

then I realized they were all low-royalty cover versions, so then I was able to relax.
“Oh thank goodness it’s only Muzak.”

—Patrick

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

8:39am, music for Last Christmas starts, then a woman starts to sing...

I’m really surprised that I haven’t heard the song yet. I work retail.

Fun Size

Fun Size

My daughter was playing too, and when she got whammed, she posted a video. Fortunately I don't automatically play videos. Also, I'm raising a monster.

PatrThom

PatrThom

My daughter was playing too, and when she got whammed, she posted a video. Fortunately I don't automatically play videos. Also, I'm raising a monster.
“If I’m going down, I’m taking all of you with me!”

—Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

I tempted fate today, went out to lunch with 3 coworkers. The restaurant was playing christmas music. Didn't get whammed, but found out Pentatonix does do xmas music...

PatrThom

PatrThom

found out Pentatonix does do xmas music...
Three albums' worth? I think their first Xmas album was their second album overall.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

[QUOTE="GasBandit, post: 1456754, member: 167"found out Pentatonix does do xmas music...
Three albums' worth? I think their first Xmas album was their second album overall.

--Patrick[/QUOTE]
I never bothered looking up any of their albums.

Timmus

Timmus

Heard it lots in November. Partner listens to the Christmas station on satellite radio and we are going to the mall later today. Probably my last day in.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I'm still in, but I'm not telling anyone I know IRL lest they immediately play it.

Frank

Frank

Still haven't heard it.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Checking in safe, week 1.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Attending the office Christmas party... Really tempting fate here!

jwhouk

jwhouk

I've been tempting fate over this past week because of trying to get the kids focused on something other than the long bus ride. I've held my breath each time KEZ puts on the next Christmas song... so far, so good.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I'm scared I'm going to jinx myself, but so far, safe! Came close with a cover at Target, but I just know it's coming.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

I'm absolutely shocked that I'm still here.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I've heard "Wizards in Winter" twice, but still no Wham.
Our overhead music hasn't switched to Xmas stuff yet, though. So I'm sure it's coming.

--Patrick

figmentPez

figmentPez

I heard a cover by Jimmy Eat World, but I've avoided the original, thus far.

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

It was the first full song at the hair dresser. And she didn’t comprehend what blonde means. Ugh. I hope I can reach my regular person again soon.

PatrThom

PatrThom

7:09p EST Dec 11.
Sister-in-law is busy tonight which means she isn’t taking the F-I-l out for dinner on Wed like usual. Wife throws her hands up and says, “Well there go the dinner plans. Can you just go pick up a pizza?” So off I go to Papa Murphy’s for a take-n-bake and WHAM, the instant I swipe my credit card, their overhead starts playing it.

On the plus side, the pizza I ordered is on sale today for two dollars off. So I got that going for me, which is nice.

—Patrick

PatrThom

PatrThom

Rescued from the latest forum hiccup:
jwhouk said:
2:14 PM MST, 10 December 2019. My bus monitor wanted to hear Christmas Music. #### it, 99 KEZ. #Igotwhammed
blotsfan said:
I went to a restaurant and they were playing the classic Christmas songs and I thought I was done for and then they changed the station. Someone was looking out for me.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

The ladies are going out of town this weekend. Wild horses won't be able to drag me out of the house.
I don't think it's to premature too state that for week 2, I'm

Still alive.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Just flew back into the country from Barbados where I was very safe. Today, we went to the mall with the Christmas station playing for a good chunk of the trip to and from the mall. I didn't get Whammed. Whew!

Celt Z

Celt Z

I've starting playing "chicken" with it. It has occurred to me that not only am I missing a song I like, but a genre of music I only get to enjoy 1 month a year. So I've started listening to the stations playing holiday music and I haven't gotten Whammed yet, but I'm willing to embrace at this point.

Mr. Z has been playing along too, and is convinced he can win because he a) never pays attention to the music around him, and b) forgot what the song sounds like. I think this borders on cheating.

Just Me

Just Me

I'm starting to feel let down by my usual easy-listening radio station by now.
Admittedly it's only half an hour twice on my commute that I listen to it, but still didn't get caught...

Wahad

Wahad

First office christmas party - lots of christmas songs, no wham. I'm pleasantly surprised.

Edit: I heard from a colleague they played it after I left. Bullet dodged!

Timmus

Timmus

Got whammed yesterday. Holly on Sirius XM in the car.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Honestly this game has made me realize what an effective job I do of blocking out Christmas music in general. I always change my radio presets for November and December anyways (there's at one station here that brags about being all-Christmas music on November 1st):

MindDetective

MindDetective

phil

phil

Got worried the other day when a cover came on. Also had to sing it for my wife when I told her about the game.

Thankfully non-wham versions have got me covered.

GasBandit

GasBandit

MindDetective

MindDetective

No! Bad Gasbandit!

blotsfan

blotsfan

Heard a cover yesterday, but not the original so thats good.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Played Irish music at a pub today. Wasn't that concerned during the playing, but I got there an hour early to grab a bite of dinner. While they were playing Christmas music, no Wham :D

Frank

Frank

And I lose. Last night at a friend's annual Christmas party, they had the TV set to a Christmas music satellite channel.

The second I heard I it, I knew, I knew, I had suffered the Whamageddon.

chris

chris

Amazingly I'm still in the game. I even survived a German Christmas market somehow.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

Got whammed last night and I’m so mad about it!

I was doing so good!

Wahad

Wahad

I'm out. Drinks at a local pub. Took me a moment to realize it, and then I said "shit" out loud, and then I had to explain whamageddon to my colleagues, who then simultaneously also lost the game.

PatrThom

PatrThom

You should have have explained it as “Wahammageddon.”

—Patrick

General Specific

General Specific

I was so scared today, had to spend most of my day in the lab of a teacher that has been playing Christmas music since Nov 1st and he likes the soft rock that Wham is the Ur example of. Yes, this is the “Blue Christmas” teacher for anyone who read that post as well.

He was listening to Classic Rock all day. No Wham. I just have to finish up on Wednesday and then survive my dept Christmas Party on Friday and I am home free.

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

I’ve been out for weeks, but today when it happened, I sang along at the top of my lungs and embarrassed the hell out of my kid. Why have them if you’re not going to mortify them publicly every so often?

GasBandit

GasBandit

I diced with death today... restaurant for dinner, then a trip to walmart and a local liquor store for supplies. Managed not to get Wham'd. But all three places were playing christmas music... I don't know if I'll survive the week.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I know I was out on the first day, but over the last few days I've heard this song so much I'm basically out, like, twenty times over.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I know I was out on the first day, but over the last few days I've heard this song so much I'm basically out, like, twenty times over.
Every time I so much as think about this thread, it starts playing in my head.

...you gaaaave meee awaaaaaaayyy...

--Patrick

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I may have to pull a Nick and sacrifice myself so I at least know what I was supposed to be listening for.

PatrThom

PatrThom

What? And give up your Elmer Fudd-esque immunity?

—Patrick

Fun Size

Fun Size

I continue to strive on, but I have to admit that when I spend more than five minutes in a store I put in noise-cancelling headphones. ;)

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

What? And give up your Elmer Fudd-esque immunity?

—Patrick
WHAM! season!

PatrThom

PatrThom

WHAM! season!
“Oh, that’s ok. I never studied WHAM!”

—Patrick

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

#igotwhammed.

Out at taco Tuesday. This Mexican joint only ever plays Spanish music, so i figured i was safe.
2 minutes in... wham

Zappit

Zappit

I’m out. Friggin’ Sirius radio...

General Specific

General Specific

WHAM! season!
Fairytale of New York season!

Celt Z

Celt Z

Just out of curiosity, who's still in? Against all odds, I haven't been Whammed yet.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Just out of curiosity, who's still in? Against all odds, I haven't been Whammed yet.
It’s a chance you’ve got to taaaake.

—Patrick

PatrThom

PatrThom

A word of warning: The music video has been remastered this year in 4K, so expect even more buzz about it than normal.

—Patrick

figmentPez

figmentPez

Just Me

Just Me

If I don't get whammed doing shopping in the city tomorrow I might off myself on saturday at the latest.
I *want* to hear that song...

GasBandit

GasBandit

Same here.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

I am still in, against all odds. I am shocked that I haven't had it yet.

blotsfan

blotsfan

On December 17th, 2019 at 8:11PM Eastern, I was at Hertel Ave Poutine & Cream. To my regret, they were playing a variety of Christmas music, including a certain "Last Christmas." Tragically, #IGotWhammed

General Specific

General Specific

Still going, finished the lab this morning, no Wham.

phil

phil

I got two more days until I'm off through Xmas and in the clear. Imma dunk on all you jabronies.

Just Me

Just Me

5:53am CET on my way to work. Finally I got whammed.
Cranked the radio up to eleven (well, actually 16) and belted along.

Carry on, survivors! Good luck!

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Penalty! Flag on the play!

My spouse is playing this song on repeat downstairs trying to trap me!

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

Our son asked to hear it while we decorated the new tree!

jwhouk

jwhouk

Hmmm, I may need a judgement call on this one...

Dei

Dei

I mean, if he knows it was on, that means he heard it, right?

bhamv3

bhamv3

Judge rules: PvP is considered unsporting but does not contravene the rules of the game. No penalty on the play, the Hobo is eliminated, first down.

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

I wasn’t trying to eliminate him. I was playing a song as requested by our son :(

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Judge rules: PvP is considered unsporting but does not contravene the rules of the game. No penalty on the play, the Hobo is eliminated, first down.
You're crazy! You're crazy! Have another donut!

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Took my biggest chance yesterday while in Houston, we went shopping at the Galleria and various other places. While at the Galleria we went in the Disney Store, they were playing a mix of traditional Christmas music and Disney “stars” covers, heard two different versions of Wham! but they were covers. So made it to today, and I’m about to head home for the night.

I’m still in it 18 days after I thought I would be eliminated.

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

I’m already out, but like three times today between various medical appointments and Christmas decoration shopping.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I got Whammed while Li'l Z and I were baking the last of the Christmas cookies. Oh well, at least there is delicious cookies as a consolation prize! Om nom nom

GasBandit

GasBandit

All I'm listening to these days is trance and synthwave. So far I'm pretty safe.

drifter

drifter

Ignorance is bliss

evilmike

evilmike

I own-goaled last night. I knew it would happen as I was running the music for a party.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I may not be out, but I'm definitely wounded. The latest video from Technology Connections features clips from the music video (without sound) as the foundation of his discussion of transfers of film to HD video.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I watched the video by Technology Connections.

No music, no foul. Still third down.

Fun Size

Fun Size

Still safe, but we're going out for last minute shopping this afternoon, so my time may be limited.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I wasn’t trying to eliminate him. I was playing a song as requested by our son :(
A child requested to hear "last Christmas" specifically the original WHAM version? I call shenanigans

jwhouk

jwhouk

He's out, regardless.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I had a close call tonight. I was watching a youtube video called "Film: The reason some of the past was in HD" and right out of the gate it talks about the video for Last Christmas by Wham. Fortunately for me, it only shows the video footage and does not play the audio. Dodged a bullet there!

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I had a close call tonight. I was watching a youtube video called "Film: The reason some of the past was in HD" and right out of the gate it talks about the video for Last Christmas by Wham. Fortunately for me, it only shows the video footage and does not play the audio. Dodged a bullet there!
That was the Technology Connections video I was talking about above. No sound=it doesn't count. Play on!

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Early morning local news got me. Their packaged "Hollywood Minute" had a story on the remastered music video, WITH sound this time. So it goes.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Early morning local news got me. Their packaged "Hollywood Minute" had a story on the remastered music video, WITH sound this time. So it goes.
So close!

Celt Z

Celt Z

If anyone was watching the Bears/Chiefs game Sunday night (and really, why would you?), they Whammed the stadium and the viewing audience at the end of the game. If Mr. Z and I hadn't already been out, I'd have been pissed!

PatrThom

PatrThom

Went to the optometrist to pick up our son’s glasses. Music in the office was “Poke Salad Annie” by Tony Joe White.
“Huh, I though. “Not playing Christmas music? That’s odd.”
Next song? Yep. “Last Christmas.”
One after that? “Come a Little Bit Closer” by Jay and the Americans.
Sneaky little buggers, doin’ a drive-by like that.

—Patrick

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Went to taco Tuesday again today. Guess what they were playing? Spanish music.

It's like someone told them last week to specifically play that song just for me.

:mad:

GasBandit

GasBandit

Is anybody still in besides me?

Cog

Cog

Me

mikerc

mikerc

Me too

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I refuse to concede!

PatrThom

PatrThom

I refuse to concede!
Thinking about moving to Washington State?

--Patrick

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

There's a Washington State now? Geez, guys get a room.

mikerc

mikerc

I refuse to concede!
You may have been callously stabbed in the back & eliminated, but you were eliminated. Get over it.

chris

chris

45 min left. Nothing should happen now.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Is anybody still in besides me?
I'm still here, worked today, just as I'm walking out the door for lunch, I hear the beginning of the song... but it was the same cover that I heard near the beginning of this. I'm really amazed that I've made it this far. I'm wondering if there was some kind of removal of this song from the Musak stations since they had a movie based around it come out last month.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I'll be dipped if Sirius XM had it on twice on two different channels today. And then, I go into the WalMart Neighborhood Market to grab some last second groceries - and bam, it was playing over the sound system.

By the way, game ends at midnight tonight Central Standard (aka @Dave) time. That is... about six hours from now.

Dave

Dave

I have yet to hear this song. I fucking win.

mikerc

mikerc

By the way, game ends at midnight tonight Central Standard (aka @Dave) time. That is... about six hours from now.
Nuh uh.
The Second Rule
The game starts on December 1st, and ends at midnight on December 24th. Use your local timezone, if you'd like.
(Yes, we're European heathens)
So as of just over half an hour ago...VICTORY!
confetti.gif

phil

phil

2 1/2 hours until I'm in the safe zone. I'll pour one out for the homies tomorrow. Gone but not forgotten.

bhamv3

bhamv3

For everyone still in, I found this useful video that's basically the introduction and first four lines of Never Gonna Give You Up played in a loop. Put it on repeat and not only will it drown out anyone playing the song, it'll be stuck so firmly in your head that even if you do hear the song, you probably won't recognize it.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I ain't clickin shit for 2 more hours.

phil

phil

I knew I was getting played but I did it anyway. I had to know if Bham had it in him. No one is that much of a sick son of a bitch, right?

They say the devil comes from below. Keep lookin' at the ground though and you won't notice him right next to you.

jwhouk

jwhouk

PHWEEE!

(referee runs out to the middle of the pitch)
(points at @bhamv3)
(pulls out a red card)

ANNOUNCER: "OH! Oh, he's sending him off for unsportsmanlike Whammageddon! Oh, and he was so close, too, in extra time, even!"

bhamv3

bhamv3

You can't send me off! I'm already out! I'm watching from the sidelines already! I'm in the peanut gallery!

Bubble181

Bubble181

One might argue it's a mash-up, not the original, since it's spliced with Rick.

blotsfan

blotsfan

It was played at my GF's christmas eve party last night. Thank god I was already out because I would've been so pissed to lose that late.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Made it!

I owe it all to not listening to the radio and rarely leaving the house.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Made it as well. Just lucky, I guess.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Made it through pure luck, and the fact the August Burns Red has a pretty fun little Christmas Album.

Fun Size

Fun Size

Made it.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I may have been WHAM!med, but what I’m most happy about is that I haven’t heard that danged hippopotamus song even once.

—Patrick

blotsfan

blotsfan

I may have been WHAM!med, but what I’m most happy about is that I haven’t heard that danged hippopotamus song even once.

—Patrick
Now I feel like a true winner.

figmentPez

figmentPez

The Christmas Shoes is my bane.

I honestly have no idea if I survived or not. A few days ago there was some version of "Last Christmas" playing in the background of a friend's Instagram story, but it didn't sound like Wham! to me, so I don't know, and my anxiety and depression have been too bad for me to care.

MindDetective

MindDetective

The Christmas Shoes is my bane.
Yeessss. That song always sounds to me like a scam artist pulling a con on a mark. I survived without hearing it once for the first time in years.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Yeessss. That song always sounds to me like a scam artist pulling a con on a mark. I survived without hearing it once for the first time in years.
Same!

--Patrick

drifter

drifter

As far as I know, I'd never heard Last Christmas (or The Christmas Shoes). I finally went to YouTube to listen and... eh. If I ever heard them while out and about I'm not sure it would register as anything different from the rest of the Christmas muzak. Stores need to play more Christmas in Hollis.

bhamv3

bhamv3

It is December 1st, 2020. I heard the song today while walking by a store. I was all like, we're not even officially playing Whamageddon this year yet but I STILL got whammed.

Dirona

Dirona

My local radio station has been playing XMas music for... 2 weeks now? So far, so good.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I forgot about this. Covid should help

Fun Size

Fun Size

Yeah, unless Amazon starts auto playing it, I think I'm good.

PatrThom

PatrThom

One Mariah Carey so far, but no Wham! yet.
Also one "Christmas Shoes."

--Patrick

blotsfan

blotsfan

One Mariah Carey so far,
I'm not gonna try that. You might as well include jingle bells.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I don't listen to the radio or streaming music.
But I still will probably go to the grocery story 3-4 times this month.
I might be ok this year ;)

Definitely won't be done in by the taqueria that did me in last year.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Oh no, I learned my lesson last year! I like my Christmas music, and I like this song, so I am NOT spending weeks trying to avoid it. Let Wham!ness wash over me!!!!!

(Ironically, I haven't heard it yet this year, even on my own Christmas mix.)

General Specific

General Specific

So I was in an office yesterday, working on a system. The person whose office it was had a local Christian station playing, so of course, it is wall-to-wall Christmas music. A cover version of Mariah Carey's "All I want for Christmas is You" by some group I've never heard of played and it was terrible. Right at the end, I was thinking to myself, "Wow, that was painful." and then I got Whammed.

Got through all of last year unscathed and didn't even make it to December this year.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Mariah, yes, Wham not so far...

Dave

Dave

I have heard 0 Christmas music this year. So far.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I've heard it thrice this year so far - but all before December first, so it doesn't count.
Though I like the song and won't really be trying to avoid it - two of the times I've heard it were from my own Spotify Playlist :cool:

jwhouk

jwhouk

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Anddddd.... I’m already out. Pulling the car out of the garage to go to band practice, wife has Christmas music on, and my all time top most loathed song is on as the satellite radio picks up (Santa Baby), I hit the preset for a different channel and.... BOOM! WHAM!ed.
Now on to avoiding that other song as much as I can.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Outside of the youtube link on the first page of this thread, I don't think I have ever heard this song. Odds are if you don't count this I should survive.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I will take a million "Santa Babys" over one "The Christmas Shoes" any day. "Christmas Shoes"makes me want to punch someone in the face.

MindDetective

MindDetective

I will take a million "Santa Babys" over one "The Christmas Shoes" any day. "Christmas Shoes"makes me want to punch someone in the face.
I can only hear a little grifter in that damn song.

chris

chris

It's an American song so I'm not sure but that's the one with the boy and the dead mom, right?

Checking Google: Yep it's the song.

Anyway I'm already out.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

It's an American song so I'm not sure but that's the one with the boy and the dead mom, right?

Checking Google: Yep it's the song.

Anyway I'm already out.
At the risk of sending this thread to the politics forum, the Wikipedia article makes this look like a clear-cut case of beating someone over the head with the Jesus stick. Ugh.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I like my chances this year what with all retail being shut down and all social events cancelled due to a global pandemic.

phil

phil

Oh man, I might just make it this year. Work is mostly safe because we listen to more pop there. We do work the week of Xmas though and one of the managers might insist on Xmas music.

I haven't been at side job enough to know their stance. They usually have tv on while they work and so long as the delivery truck isn't on a bad station when I start it up I might just be okay.

mikerc

mikerc

Welp, I'm out.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Can't play it on your radio, but I can make you hear it in your head :)
1606940294369.png

jwhouk

jwhouk

I will admit, I have been tempting fate by randomly tuning in to the local Christmas Music Station here in the Valley. But, I do suspect that they may be "in" on the joke. (I hope.)

blotsfan

blotsfan

My girlfriend betrayed me. #IGotWhammed

Dei

Dei

One betrayal and it's back to girlfriend instead of Fiancée

GasBandit

GasBandit

Had a close call at Kroger today, they were playing contemporary christmas music on the PA! But I got out before I heard the song of doom.

blotsfan

blotsfan

One betrayal and it's back to girlfriend instead of Fiancée
Who says they're the same person?

Fun Size

Fun Size

Clicked an untitled Postmodern Jukebox link on FB. Dammit.

Just Me

Just Me

Clicked an untitled Postmodern Jukebox link on FB. Dammit.
But was it the original song?
Because the rules say " Only the original version applies. Enjoy the #!€#%!€%€& out of remixes and covers."
That cover was the first clip I found of PMJ, stayed with them ever since.

Krisken

Krisken

I missed this was a thing here, but I'm in and it would be next to impossible for me to hear it without malicious intent. We don't even grocery shop anymore, instead do curbside pickup.

Just Me

Just Me

Also, I'm out since December 1st, kinda asked for it.
Working from home with the easy listening oldie station in the background.
Still love this song. :)

PatrThom

PatrThom

I missed this was a thing here, but I'm in and it would be next to impossible for me to hear it without malicious intent. We don't even grocery shop anymore, instead do curbside pickup.
Now imagining someone trolling entire quarantined towns with something like this:

trollolol.jpeg

--Patrick

bhamv3

bhamv3

On an unrelated note, has anyone seen this movie, coincidentally titled Last Christmas, starring the lovely Emilia Clarke and the lovelier Henry Golding? Here's the trailer. I doubt they'd put the Wham song in the trailer, right? That'd just be too on-the-nose, even for Hollywood. Right? Right?

Krisken

Krisken

On an unrelated note, has anyone seen this movie, coincidentally titled Last Christmas, starring the lovely Emilia Clarke and the lovelier Henry Golding? Here's the trailer. I doubt they'd put the Wham song in the trailer, right? That'd just be too on-the-nose, even for Hollywood. Right? Right?

In the words of Happy Gilmore "I know what you are doing and I don't like it". Thankfully

That trailer came out before the 1st.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Haven't clicked the video, but it's our the original? You'd expect this sort of movie to try and modernize what doesn't need modernizing.

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

As a non-participant, I can confirm that yes, that trailer has the original.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Well, despite the extremely low chances of it happening, I was WHAMMED.

Wife and I were dropping the kiddo off at her grandparents' for the day. Started up the car and my All Ska-nadian Club Vol 2 CD started playing, which my wife is not a fan of. So I went to replace it with her Elvis Presley Christmas CD. But of course, when you take a CD out, the car reverts to FM Radio, which had been left on the all Christmas music radio station.

WHAM!

Fun Size

Fun Size

I'm out by my own hand. I've been avoiding the pop Christmas station on Spotify, but finally broke down after moving through all the others, including hip hop. As an aside, did you know Eazy-E had a Christmas song? It's just as gross as I would have expected of such a thing.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I'm out by my own hand. I've been avoiding the pop Christmas station on Spotify, but finally broke down after moving through all the others, including hip hop. As an aside, did you know Eazy-E had a Christmas song? It's just as gross as I would have expected of such a thing.
I've avoided it by putting the Spotify Pop Christmas Playlist on, but on my starting after Wham, and not putting it on shuffle. It's listed a the second song, so the only one I miss out on is All I want for Christmas. Which I like just fine, but it's not like I've never heard it

GasBandit

GasBandit

I'm living dangerously. Been to restaurants twice this week for lunch playing christmas music, so far no Wham...

Dei

Dei

I'm living dangerously. Been to restaurants twice this week for lunch playing christmas music, so far no Wham...
All I saw was going to restaurants twice this week, and I thought I was in the Covid thread.

GasBandit

GasBandit

All I saw was going to restaurants twice this week, and I thought I was in the Covid thread.
The restaurants are socially distanced :p

bhamv3

bhamv3

The restaurants are socially distanced :p
No restaurant is within six feet of another restaurant.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I got Whammed by Good Morning America.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Fuuuuuuck! It came up in a random video as I browsed through Coub.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Just had a very close shave. I've been living somewhat dangerously, since my wife likes to have the 24/7 Christmas music channel on the TV throughout the day.
She left the house, TV was still on, I was in the sofa. Decide to... Watch another type of entertainment:pud: on my phone, turn off the TV volume.
A short while later, I go to turn up the volume again, but check the screen first.. Sure enough, Wham! But since the sound is still off, I'm still alive:D hurray for masturbation!

figmentPez

figmentPez

I had a close call at Trader Joe's yesterday, while I was in the check-out line I heard a cover.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I know I'm already out, but I'd just like to note that I heard this song no fewer than three times today. Once on a bus and twice in a convenience store.

Given my transparent attempts to PK people, I wonder if this is some karmic whamma-retribution, where I ended up getting whammed thrice in one day.

evilmike

evilmike

I know I'm already out, but I'd just like to note that I heard this song no fewer than three times today. Once on a bus and twice in a convenience store.

Given my transparent attempts to PK people, I wonder if this is some karmic whamma-retribution, where I ended up getting whammed thrice in one day.
I'm surprised you haven't had to deal with this as well.
Code:
https://youtu.be/dQw4w9WgXcQ

PatrThom

PatrThom

What's the maxim? That what you visit upon others will be returned to you threefold?

--Patrick

Dei

Dei

One of the streamers/Youtubers that plays Among Us with the people I normally watch made his own Christmas album so he could play it without getting a DMCA strike. It also includes Last Christmas, which made me panic when I heard it until I remembered it doesn't count. :p

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Was watching a tiktok video on facebook. Had nothing to do with christmas, but as soon as I turned on the sound, unlicensed christmas music. Thankfully, it was Mariah and not Wham.

about 25 hours left to go. But between covid and not doing shit for the last month (ok, 10 months), i feel like it's a hollow victory.

Bones

Bones

still havent heard it lol.

Shawn

Shawn

Heard a cover in the store today. Still good, though admittedly I haven't really been paying attention for more than the last week.

PatrThom

PatrThom

20201224 11:33:27 AM EST and I'm out.

Coworker got himself fancy new Bluetooth speaker and brought it in to show off and specifically requested that song from his phone to demo it.
Thanks. Thanks a lot, buddy.

--Patrick

Bubble181

Bubble181

Less than 12 hours to go, and I don't intend on leaving the house. Only a random snatch while changing channels might get me now. Never made it this far before, but yeah, it's an easy year for it.

BErt

BErt

SHIT! just lost, i thought for sure i was in the clear

Bubble181

Bubble181

I made it! It's Christmas morning here! :cool:

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

not Christmas here yet...but I'm about to go to bed, so I'm fairly confident I'll be fine for the next few hours

jwhouk

jwhouk

A little under nine hours to go as of this posting (though our Hawaiian contingent has not joined us in the challenge).

MindDetective

MindDetective

I made it but it wasn't much of a challenge this year

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Congratulations to this year's winners.

Please note that for posterity, this year's victory will be recorded with an asterisk.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Woot! I made it!

evilmike

evilmike

Somehow I managed it even though I set up music for a Christmas party. Of course, I doesn't actually go to the party this year...

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Made it :)

Bones

Bones

Congratulations to this year's winners.

Please note that for posterity, this year's victory will be recorded with an asterisk.
kiss my ass, I work in retail/sales and they have been blasting Christmas music since October and somehow i never got whammed.

BErt

BErt

Ok so bones is the outright winner then

Bones

Bones

Ok so bones is the outright winner then
Its not about winning. It's about sending a message. Some us don't get to stay home in a pandemic. (This is in jest, nobody needs to feel attacked)

Zappit

Zappit

I made it this year, too, but Bones should get hall of fame status for dodging it this year.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

I made it this year, too, but Bones should get hall of fame status for dodging it this year.
I did the same thing last year, worked Bed Bath & Beyond (and still do for 3 more days) and made it without hearing it. Out on day 1 this year due to satellite radio and Santa Baby.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Surviving this year didn't feel like much of an accomplishment for me.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

kiss my ass, I work in retail/sales and they have been blasting Christmas music since October and somehow i never got whammed.
Impressive.
Most impressive

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

Truly because as much as I love that song, it was getting old and I barely go to the stores this year.

GasBandit

GasBandit

bhamv3

bhamv3

I went to a department store today. Apparently they haven't swapped out their Christmas playlist yet, cause I got whammed again. It felt like a follow up wham, like when the dead killer in a slasher movie suddenly jumps up to scare the protagonist one last time.

Dave

Dave

The closest I came was a friend who was doing Twitch Sings Christmas music with his kids. He announced that was his next song so I muted him.

Other than that I heard almost 0 Christmas music this season and it was amazing.

jwhouk

jwhouk

It is almost December 1st. I nearly got #Whammed twice this week. We need to do it again - and I suspect it's harder this time around.

MindDetective

MindDetective

I got whammed. Glad it is not December yet.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Ominous portents.

—Patrick