Weird weather

Funny pics would work, but this is weather-related.
Weather Fail.PNG

It's from my Google News feed this morning, right next to each other. I didn't even have to composite it together! It'd be a stronger joke if the top/bottom was flipped, but as I said, this isn't artificial.

It hit 95 degrees here today. That's too damn hot for the 26th of September. I was promised rain this week, damnit!

It is raining.

This is the third straight day that it has been raining.

It literally rained all day yesterday (though most of it was drizzle) but still

It rained all day.

It isn't supposed to DO that in the Valley.

It is raining.

This is the third straight day that it has been raining.

It literally rained all day yesterday (though most of it was drizzle) but still

It rained all day.

It isn't supposed to DO that in the Valley.
Watch for floods out there - don't drive through any standing water - and send some of that rain our way, would ya? We were supposed to get over a quarter of an inch of rain yesterday and all we got was enough to barely wet down the dust and fail to register on the rain gauges.

GasBandit

Staff member
Forget pumpkin spice or cold winds or changing leaves.... this is how you know it's fall in Texas.

GRACKLES.

GRACKLES EVERYWHERE.

Forget pumpkin spice or cold winds or changing leaves.... this is how you know it's fall in Texas.

GRACKLES.

GRACKLES EVERYWHERE.
Oh how quaint. A few grackles.
I was expecting something more like this, from my own memory of Houston grackles:

Seriously, it's like Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds in Houston during grackle season.

GasBandit

Staff member
Oh how quaint. A few grackles.
I was expecting something more like this, from my own memory of Houston grackles:

Seriously, it's like Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds in Houston during grackle season.
My camera did not adequately capture it (I think its self color correction is to blame), but I filmed that tree specifically because every single conceivable perching spot was full of grackle. I was surprised branches were not snapping.

But the fall is just starting. I'm sure in a few days our power lines will be bird-saturated, too. Generally the parking lots around here don't get grackled TOO much, I think they get run over.

One of the parks here in Mesa was full of birds feeding on whatever was coming up from the grass as I was driving by this morning.

ION - Holy COW when it rains here in the Valley, does it RAIN. I literally had to get off the freeway for fear that I'd turn my bus into a yellow water-propelled rocket.

Day 4 of Hurricane in the Desert: it was drizzling a bit until just before I got back to the yard with my bus. I saw a nice double rainbow... and then the skies opened up.

TIL drainage in Arizona consists of a cement v-shaped "rut" in between angled sections of parking, until it flows into a small pond next to the road, where it takes forever to drain into a "storm sewer" (their words, not mine). Half of our staff parking lot was under water (the half closest to the road, btw).

Day 4 of Hurricane in the Desert: it was drizzling a bit until just before I got back to the yard with my bus. I saw a nice double rainbow... and then the skies opened up.

TIL drainage in Arizona consists of a cement v-shaped "rut" in between angled sections of parking, until it flows into a small pond next to the road, where it takes forever to drain into a "storm sewer" (their words, not mine). Half of our staff parking lot was under water (the half closest to the road, btw).
We got three inches of hail back in June and my whole street was a river for 30 minutes after.

And I don't know how you haven't heard the term storm sewer or storm drain before. It's a pretty common thing.

Yup, already talks about us being out for a few more days are going on. Forecasts say we may still be seeing 50+mph winds.

<---- lives in South Carolina and in the center of the "cone of uncertainty"

And as a quick aside, is it me or does "Cone of Uncertainty" sound like some goofy gadget from Get Smart?

Yup, already talks about us being out for a few more days are going on. Forecasts say we may still be seeing 50+mph winds.

<---- lives in South Carolina and in the center of the "cone of uncertainty"

And as a quick aside, is it me or does "Cone of Uncertainty" sound like some goofy gadget from Get Smart?
Huh. I had expected it to be much more of a rain event for you than a wind event. (Not that that is a trivial thing after Florence.)

And, yeah, Get Smart for sure.

They are forecasting only like 4-6 inches of rain last I heard. We get that during a summer downpour. It can still cause issues, don't get me wrong, but the wind rating seemed to be the focal point of recent weather reports.

One wonders what the effect off all of that red tide will be once it gets pushed up on shore and spread all over the panhandle.

If you guys never hear from me again, murder the sky for me.

(I'm fine though. Might lose power, otherwise just going to get a ton of rain)

There is a thunderstorm training just north of me. I've been watching lightning out my back windows for at least 2 hours. Constant lightning. I feel bad for whoever is under that storm.

Is it still called Indian Summer if it happens starting mid-October? Either way, I'm liking the forecast for the rest of the month - mid 70s to low 80s, plenty of sun, and blue skies; and then snow immediately after, if you're too close to the Siskiyous. The farmers down here are loving it.