Watching Video Files from PC to TV?

I have a number of movies and shows as video files on my desktop computer. However, for comfort, I'd really like to watch them on my TV, so I can relax on my coach to watch something.

I used to use a Steam Link, but it streams only up to 1080p and my TV is 4K. I also find the streaming connection between the link and my PC isn't always great.

I've seen a few people mention something about Plex servers, but I don't know how that works or how to get that going.

I thought about just running a long HDMI cord from my PC to my TV. They're both in my living room, so it wouldn't need to be that long.

Any other suggestions?

figmentPez

Staff member
I've been using a 15 foot HDMI cable with my computer for years, and it's a really easy solution. I've used a number of different methods for controlling my PC at a distance. A virtual mouse & keyboard app on my phone that connected to an app on my computer (I was never sure of the security for that), a phone app that just controlled VLC (kind of a pain to set up), my Steam Controller, and a Riitek mini keyboard.

If you'd be tripping over the HDMI cable, then there are other options: Since you're streaming over the local network, you wouldn't need a Plex server, just share a folder on your PC. A relatively cheap Android TV box should be capable of 4K video playback, and it's really easy to use the Android version of VLC to play a file via a network drive (I wish it were that easy with the desktop version).

That said, it might not be that much harder to set up a Plex server, but I haven't done it. That would allow you access to your media even when you're not at home, and do some other stuff, but I'm sure someone else can spell out just how much additional work it would take.

GasBandit

Staff member
HDMI will work fine, but I really wouldn't want to run one longer than 12ish feet for 4k unless you use an active cable or a repeater. You can go further if you're only doing 1080p or lower. You could also use a chromecast, or if your TV supports it, you might be able to use miracast to use your TV as an extended monitor on any PC running windows 10 or newer.

Plex is stupid easy to install, but unless you plan to get a roku or something with a plex client app on it and/or REALLY want a netflix-like interface for your personal media, you probably don't need to bother. Playing them over HDMI/Miracast is pretty much effortless, and Chromecast can pretty much play anything you can watch in chrome (or on an android phone, but in that case you'll need to put your media in a shared folder).

I'm not sure Plex has a Ps5 client but Plex is what I use on Ps4 to watch videos from my pc to TV. It's, like Gas said, unbelievably easy to set up and use.

After some trial and error, I got my Plex server set up and my Samsung Smart TV had the app for it.

...holy shit, that was easy. And it even populates title cards for each movie, making it look like Netflix or something. I also noticed it can load up subtitles, even if the original file doesn't have subtitles on it. Big "oh wow" moment for me.

So, okay, dumb question. How does this work? Do I need to keep my computer running to play movies on the TV?

GasBandit

Staff member
After some trial and error, I got my Plex server set up and my Samsung Smart TV had the app for it.

...holy shit, that was easy. And it even populates title cards for each movie, making it look like Netflix or something. I also noticed it can load up subtitles, even if the original file doesn't have subtitles on it. Big "oh wow" moment for me.

So, okay, dumb question. How does this work? Do I need to keep my computer running to play movies on the TV?
If you installed the plex server software on your PC, then yes. You'll only be able to watch things on it if the PC is on and connected to the internet.

But now you can also get the plex app on your phone and watch your media no matter where you are.

If you installed the plex server software on your PC, then yes. You'll only be able to watch things on it if the PC is on and connected to the internet.

But now you can also get the plex app on your phone and watch your media no matter where you are.
Thank you. This is a LOT less complicated and convoluted than any other of my methods in the past. Like getting things working through the Steam Link or copying files over to a laptop and connecting that to the TV. Or years ago, with the PS3, I could play files off the PS3 or copy them onto it. This will also make it easier to, say, have a movie night at a friend's place, if they have a Smart TV or a newer game console.

I can't believe I didn't do this sooner.

GasBandit

Staff member
Thank you. This is a LOT less complicated and convoluted than any other of my methods in the past. Like getting things working through the Steam Link or copying files over to a laptop and connecting that to the TV. Or years ago, with the PS3, I could play files off the PS3 or copy them onto it. This will also make it easier to, say, have a movie night at a friend's place, if they have a Smart TV or a newer game console.

I can't believe I didn't do this sooner.
I wouldn't sign in to your friends' TVs as yourself, rather I'd have them create their own plex account and then you share access to your libraries with them by going to app.plex.tv/desktop, then settings, then Manage Library Access, and clicking "Grant Library Access."

Incidentally, PM me your plex username or the email you used to register it, if you would like me to share my libraries with you.

Hurm. So I tried watching a movie for the first time on the Plex app on my Smart TV...only for it to freeze multiple times. I'd try exiting and trying again, only for it to freeze again.
20221012_222705.jpg

EDIT: Just tried it on the PS5 and it seems to be running much smoother. Don't know why Plex doesn't like my Smart TV. Never had any streaming issues with it before.

GasBandit

Staff member
Hurm. So I tried watching a movie for the first time on the Plex app on my Smart TV...only for it to freeze multiple times. I'd try exiting and trying again, only for it to freeze again.
View attachment 42723

EDIT: Just tried it on the PS5 and it seems to be running much smoother. Don't know why Plex doesn't like my Smart TV. Never had any streaming issues with it before.
Is your smart TV a samsung? And is the media you are trying to play 4k?

figmentPez

Staff member
Were you just trying with one movie? It could be as specific as the encoding of that video, but there's lots of possiblities.

Is your smart TV a samsung? And is the media you are trying to play 4k?
Samsung, yes.
4K, no. It was a Blu-ray rip of Child's Play.

Also noticing a weird glitch with scene changes where it switches to the next scene slightly faster than it should. Only by a second or two. Almost like a few frames of the film are missing. It's tiny, but noticeable.

GasBandit

Staff member
Samsung, yes.
4K, no. It was a Blu-ray rip of Child's Play.

Also noticing a weird glitch with scene changes where it switches to the next scene slightly faster than it should. Only by a second or two. Almost like a few frames of the film are missing. It's tiny, but noticeable.
Unfortunately, Samsungs have built up a nasty reputation for using sub-par processors in their smart TVs that don't do well with plex for some reason. It's been going on years without being addressed. I'd stick to the PS5, unfortunately, or pick up a Roku Express 4K for $25.

Are your movies set to transcode on-the-fly? The TV may not be able to keep up.

—Patrick
I honestly don't know, nor know how to check that.

I'll stick with the PS5 for now. I don't really want to get another piece of hardware if I don't have to.

Also, I should note that it streamed fine on my Smart TV when I recently used Plex to watch some shows (Rick & Morty, Lower Decks). Both worked perfectly fine without any hiccups.

GasBandit

Staff member
The plex client and server automatically decide the transcoding stuff. From what I've read, it will vary from file to file, but lots of people complain about buffering for no explicable reason on samsung TVs running their native plex client.

Managed to finish watching it on the PS5. Some hiccups, still like that second or two time skip.

Perfect example: when they're fighting him at the end, the mom has Chucky trapped behind the fireplace cage. The little boy runs to bring the matches. And then it skips where Chucky says "But Andy, we're friends to the end," skipping right to Andy's retort. Such a weird glitch.

GasBandit

Staff member
Managed to finish watching it on the PS5. Some hiccups, still like that second or two time skip.

Perfect example: when they're fighting him at the end, the mom has Chucky trapped behind the fireplace cage. The little boy runs to bring the matches. And then it skips where Chucky says "But Andy, we're friends to the end," skipping right to Andy's retort. Such a weird glitch.
Does watching that same section in a plex client in a browser skip as well? I've noticed sometimes plex doesn't handle file corruption as gracefully as some other media players such as MPC or VLC.