Wasabi's Whatever Thread (AMA and journal)

It's been a stressful couple of days. Nothing major happened, but stressful nonetheless. I've had a headache since yesterday. It was bad enough that I went to bed last night at 8:30. I think it's the vog because the skin around my eyes has gotten red again, too.

Three day weekend. I love you.

Went to north shore with the kids and spent the afternoon at Sunset Beach. Laughing, playing, joking around, singing silly song lyrics...it was just what I needed. Something about the beach always sets me right.
It would appear, then, that you are in the right place.

A person at my job, in a manager's position for another set of programs, asked me if I would get high with them and another coworker provided there was a place to crash afterward.

Wut?

I'm in charge of substance abuse prevention services. Why would you ask me this? Why would you ask me this regardless, but considering my job - WTF are you thinking?

A person at my job, in a manager's position for another set of programs, asked me if I would get high with them and another coworker provided there was a place to crash afterward.

Wut?

I'm in charge of substance abuse prevention services. Why would you ask me this? Why would you ask me this regardless, but considering my job - WTF are you thinking?
Maybe they think you're an expert on getting high considering your job? :p

So one of my aunts died today. Not a blood relative, one that married into the family. Before you give me hugs and break out the sympathies, I was not her biggest fan. She was a horrible human being with a black soul. I could go into details. but there is no need IMO.

The reason I'm writing this is because I feel weird. She's my aunt and I should be sad. I feel sympathy for my cousins who have lost their mother and my uncle for losing his wife, but I'm apathetic about it really. That bothers me.

So one of my aunts died today. Not a blood relative, one that married into the family. Before you give me hugs and break out the sympathies, I was not her biggest fan. She was a horrible human being with a black soul. I could go into details. but there is no need IMO.

The reason I'm writing this is because I feel weird. She's my aunt and I should be sad. I feel sympathy for my cousins who have lost their mother and my uncle for losing his wife, but I'm apathetic about it really. That bothers me.
Been in that exact situation, but with someone even (relatively) closer. My stepmother and me never got along very well, and when she finally died from cancer, I didn't really feel sad she had died. I felt sad for my father, of course, but I was actually angry - and still am, to a certain extent - that she passed away on my wedding anniversary.

Wut?

Huh.

I don't want to add to your situation, but I think it's good that it bothers you. Apathy can be really dangerous, so I'm relieved it concerns you - hopefully you find a way to redirect it to something healthy.

Well, mom, you did it again. You bought me another new shirt that is not my style and at least one size too large. Yes I'm fat, but I do not wear a 2x and I don't dress like my grandmother. Annoying as usual although I say thanks and put it in the donation pile.
But then you, once again, try to undermine my authority as a parent. Just because Ozzy Osbourne took his grandchildren on a 2 hour submarine ride in Waikiki does not mean you need to do it with my kids if/when you come visit again. $125 per person is ridiculous. I tell her no and her reply is "Well I'll just ask the kids" in this tone like Oh yeah I'll show you. I am their mother. I said no. I don't care that you think they'll like it. $500 spent on that ($125 x 4 people) could be used for so many other things for the kids. And who gives you the right to decide what my children do or don't do?
As for when you can visit next...I don't want you to honestly. You and Dad can stay in NJ. I don't need the arguments, the guilt, or the stress of constantly defending boundaries.

Aaand she does it again. I finally get Noah to tell me what he wants for his birthday. I send her an email from Amazon with the link to one of the toys he wants. Call her yesterday to confirm that she got it.

"They're already ordered!"
They? It was only one thing.
"It was a whole page. I got them all."
I only sent the link to--
"They're already ordered! I got everything on the page that you sent!"
---
Umm...ok. Thanks.

When I got home from work, I checked what I sent to her since a copy goes in my inbox. She didn't read. This extra stuff she ordered was from the "More Items to Consider" area. None of which are things Noah wanted or asked for.

I sound so damn ungrateful. I swear I am not. It's just irritating that I can point something specific out to her and it still gets screwed up.

Aaand she does it again. I finally get Noah to tell me what he wants for his birthday. I send her an email from Amazon with the link to one of the toys he wants. Call her yesterday to confirm that she got it.

"They're already ordered!"
They? It was only one thing.
"It was a whole page. I got them all."
I only sent the link to--
"They're already ordered! I got everything on the page that you sent!"
---
Umm...ok. Thanks.

When I got home from work, I checked what I sent to her since a copy goes in my inbox. She didn't read. This extra stuff she ordered was from the "More Items to Consider" area. None of which are things Noah wanted or asked for.

I sound so damn ungrateful. I swear I am not. It's just irritating that I can point something specific out to her and it still gets screwed up.
Coming from someone whose mother-in-law pulls the same crap constantly, I feel ya sister. We can give her a direct link and she'll still buy a cheap knock-off competitor's brand for slightly less than 5% off. Or, will latch on to only one word of a conversation and be certain that's what she was supposed to buy. Why does she remember the words "ice cream maker" so vividly? Oh right, she's supposed to buy us one for my birthday, right? That's what it was. It certainly wasn't "They already have three ice cream makers so don't buy them another ice cream maker."

This month has been a whirlwind. Dead car. New car. Week long training for work that I helped facilitate. Leading my first quarterly meeting. Dad's truck damaged and me being told half-assed information that made me think he & my uncle were in an accident. Children's annual physicals. A cousin diagnosed with terminal cancer. Planning for a convention in Boston next month. Lily's birthday. Planning a baby shower for a friend. Rescuing kittens and their momma. Planning a revamp of my program's logo and social media accounts. Beach bash for all dojos in the kids' karate school. Water balloon fights. A housewarming horror movie marathon at a friend's place that left my stomach sore from laughing at another friend who is easily scared. A coworker's medical issue that had them taken by ambulance.

Ok August. Let's do this.

In about 2 weeks I'm heading to Boston for a 4-day conference. It's the first time I've left my kids for this long. Sure Aussie is here and he's got the routine down already. But I'm not used to being the one leaving for any amount of time. It's raising my anxiety and I don't like it.

I've been making a list of things to see and do while I'm in Boston. It's helping ease my anxiety a bit because I do love travel. Plus I get home the day before my bday and have a 3-day weekend. So there are things to look forward to.

The conference was good. I really liked sightseeing around Boston. Flights home were all delayed so I ended up not getting to my house until about 4 hours later than planned. That meant I needed a taxi since Aussie is working. I am so glad to be back in Hawaii, in my house, with my little 'ohana.

I missed you butt heads, too. :heart:

So since I'm the cool, geeky mom...I play Fortnite Battle Royale. Noah plays on my XBox account under WasabiPoptart. I don't know why when he has his own XBox account. As such, I decided to create an account on my PC using a screen name I came up with many years ago after reading about The Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence and also inspired by Anastasia Beaverhausen.

So I'm going by Gladys Panzerhoff. I told Noah and Lily, who both got the joke right away and mooned me. LOL

But then Noah decided to look up the name online. On his school laptop. o sh-- I put the kibosh on that real quick and had to explain that he might find things that are not only inappropriate for his age, but that would also get him in big trouble at school since search history is monitored.

So since I'm the cool, geeky mom...I play Fortnite Battle Royale. Noah plays on my XBox account under WasabiPoptart. I don't know why when he has his own XBox account. As such, I decided to create an account on my PC using a screen name I came up with many years ago after reading about The Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence and also inspired by Anastasia Beaverhausen.

So I'm going by Gladys Panzerhoff. I told Noah and Lily, who both got the joke right away and mooned me. LOL

But then Noah decided to look up the name online. On his school laptop. o sh-- I put the kibosh on that real quick and had to explain that he might find things that are not only inappropriate for his age, but that would also get him in big trouble at school since search history is monitored.
Is it scary that the first google result for "Gladys Panzerhoff " is your reddit account?

As per usual when I see my parents for any period of time, once the initial anger and frustration wears off I find myself sitting in a depressive fog of apathy and hopelessness, tinged with guilt and self-loathing, sprinkled liberally with inability to concentrate. On days when I don't need an alarm clock, I'm sleeping 9-10 hours. I'm not suicidal, but if I could lay in bed for the rest of my life I would.

As per usual when I see my parents for any period of time, once the initial anger and frustration wears off I find myself sitting in a depressive fog of apathy and hopelessness, tinged with guilt and self-loathing, sprinkled liberally with inability to concentrate. On days when I don't need an alarm clock, I'm sleeping 9-10 hours. I'm not suicidal, but if I could lay in bed for the rest of my life I would.
All the feels.