Video Game News and Miscellany

GasBandit

Staff member
I have not once ever said that. "Good" is subjective.
And so is "fun," and for the purposes of this discussion, they're pretty much interchangable. You *did* say that something isn't fun.

That's bullshit and you know it.
No, it's not. And I'm not just talking about games.

I've known you both for nigh-on 15 years, and my above assertions were borne of observation of multiple cycles of repeated behavior. You both fly off the handle really easily sometimes, particularly when you're in fragile places. If I've cheesed you both off at me instead of each other, maybe that's for the better, because I can take it without lasting damage.

Thank you VERY much for this, by the way. Between being attacked for *checks notes* having an opinion about a fucking video game and then the moderator's attempt at de-escalation by getting both parties involved even more upset, I barely got any sleep last night. I do not appreciate someone speaking on my behalf, especially when they put words in my mouth. And I do not appreciate being lambasted just because I don't like a thing you don't like. I get enough of that from Snyderbros on fucking Twitter. My anxiety is through the fucking roof these days for various reasons and I don't need this shit.

Think I'm just going to delete the links to Halforums. I can't do this. Fuck, ban me if you want. I don't fucking care anymore.

Yeah, the combination of WB Montreal's not-so-spectacular track record, the forced co-op, and turning it into an action RPG with loot upgrades are all big red flags for me.
Oh god, there's loot upgrades? Yeah, big red flag. Maybe I'll be wrong and it'll be great, I'd be happy to be wrong in that scenario. But given who is making it, I'm betting this is going to be a heavily monetized "live service"

I get enough of that from Snyderbros on fucking Twitter.
This is still a thing? I seriously thought the whole "Make Supes Great Again" movement had faded (or at least significantly receded), overshadowed by all the other superhero movies that were coming out (and the drama with DC).

--Patrick

Well, if they take the extra time to actually get a better product out, I'm fine with it. I mean, it's sad, but if they actually bring a better product, I prefer a few months' wait over a buggy or rushed game, or horrible crunch for the developers.

At this point, I'd expect any major game product to be delayed be at least 1-3 months simply due to COVID. If they aren't delaying (such as Activision with WoW:Shadowlands) then I would expect a poor product at launch.

figmentPez

Staff member
Today I learned that Quake had an arcade port in the works, but it only made it to the prototype stage.

INSTA-PRIZE!

The fact that its encryption has only recently been broken (allowing it to finally be emulated) has been making the rounds on the tech sites lately.

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
8BitDo has been absolutely quiet for nearly 2 months, but it looks like they've been busy with something interesting:
8BitDo Arcade Stick.jpg

8BitDo wireless arcade stick for the Nintendo Switch and PC

Coming in October for $90, it'll work wired, via Bluetooth or with an included 2.4Ghz dongle. LED labels on the buttons will change depending on which mode it's running in, and another switch controls if the stick is acting as a D-pad or either of the analog sticks. The stick and the buttons can be switched out for a variety of other standard arcade stick parts.

As someone who once owned a NES Advantage.....nah.

Also, on the topic of Nintendo.

Fucking lol at the new Mario games only being available for the next 8 months.

As someone who once owned a NES Advantage.....nah.

Also, on the topic of Nintendo.

Fucking lol at the new Mario games only being available for the next 8 months.
Nintendo has decided that the Disney Vault is a great business model I guess.

Nintendo has decided that the Disney Vault is a great business model I guess.
Just look at the board at Nintendo: the youngest guy is 47 and while his expertise IS Global marketing, he apparently spent most of his career at Nintendo as an accountant in there German office. The rest are in their 50's and 60's; they clearly don't know what the market is anymore.

Last edited:
Just look at the board at Nintendo: the youngest guy is 47 and while his expertise IS Global marketing, he apparently spent most of his career at Nintendo as an account in there German office. The rest are in their 50's and 60's; they clearly don't know what the market is anymore.
I think the bigger issue is that people are going to buy up the physical editions and sit on them for scalping. And if there's one thing Nintendo always does, it's make things easier for scalpers. :p

I'm debating getting the PS5. I only own exactly two physical PS4 games (Horizon Zero Dawn and Spider-Man), so switching over wouldn't be a big deal for me. I'm largely interested in the 4K disc player that comes with it.

On the other hand, aside from Milles Morales, there aren't any launch titles that I'm interested in. Although, apparently there is some kind of incentive to upgrade if you own Spider-Man. No idea how that would work.

The only other games I might be interested in are Ratchet & Clank and MAYBE the new Horizon. But I'll be honest, I never finished the first one. I lost interest in it. I keep meaning to give it a second chance.

EDIT: Okay, Sackboy A Big Adventure looks cute, too. Though that's more of a "maybe if it's on sale for $20" thing.

I have played the crap out of my PS4 and there have been a bunch of games I’ve loved. I had planned to grab a PS5 at launch, but I wasn’t feeling any of the launch titles so I went for a gaming laptop. Did I make the right call? No idea.

Ehhhh, I'm really not feeling this trailer at all. Feels like more of the same things we've been getting since 10.
I feel the opposite. I'm here for some Game of Thrones low tech Witchery monster world Final Fantasy. The combat looks very FF7R which is fine, if they make it a little more manageable and less trying to pay attention to 34 things at once.

I'll get the digital ps5 at some point, I haven't bought a physical game in years, but I have no interest in grabbing it at launch. Did that with the the ps4 and it sat for almost a year or I bought games I didn't really care about to justify having it when I did.

Regarding Final Fantasy 16, I will say I'm disappointed by the aesthetics. Nice to see a return to the fantasy setting, but I miss the older games that were more cartoonish, fun, and didn't take themselves so seriously. Not including 14, the last time they did that was probably 9.

Then again, I'm probably biased because I'm largely a fan of the SNES era of Final Fantasy games more than any others.