Video Game News and Miscellany

GasBandit

Staff member
Haven't you heard? Google Now is the replacement for Reader, it does all the things that Reader did, but "better"..... Or so the astroturfing in /r/Stadia says.
I'd like to transfer a HF "Disagree" rating to that reddit post.

Ah well, Feedly is still... 75% as good, I guess.

Oh cool, the old Doom games are on Switch!

Oh, Bethesda completely borked it. That's less cool

(I'm not complaining too much, they saved me money, but that they could fail at releasing a game that runs on a toaster oven is classic Bethesda.)

Oh cool, the old Doom games are on Switch!

Oh, Bethesda completely borked it. That's less cool
Classic Doom games vanish, reappear on Xbox One with features missing
As part of its annual QuakeCon festivities, id Software surprise-announced a launch of all three "original" Doom games on modern consoles on Friday, effective immediately. That was solid news for PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch owners, who've yet to get ports of Doom, Doom II, or Doom 3: BFG Edition.

But the news was different on Xbox One, where all three games had already received digital-download ports thanks to that platform's hearty Xbox 360 backwards-compatibility program. And on Friday, Bethesda gave those version's holders a rude awakening: the company completely delisted those Xbox 360 versions.
--Patrick

The trailer for the next round of fighters for BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle has leaked.

New fighters include Yumi (Senran Kagura Estival Versus), Blitztank (Akatsuki Blitzkampf), Akatsuki (Akatsuki Blitzkampf), and Neo Politan (RWBY). There are also five more mystery fighters to be revealed.

The trailer for the next round of fighters for BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle has leaked.

New fighters include Yumi (Senran Kagura Estival Versus), Blitztank (Akatsuki Blitzkampf), Akatsuki (Akatsuki Blitzkampf), and Neo Politan (RWBY). There are also five more mystery fighters to be revealed.
Presumably Neo won't have any voice responses. :p

That's kinda what I was getting at. The study only tested women playing as avatars of women (and even then, only one specific woman), there's nothing about men playing with female avatars, women playing with hypersexualized male avatars, etc. Also I would like to see some research done running the subjects through a Sims-style character creation system where they are told to create avatars which represent themselves to see whether they decide to make themselves shorter/taller/fatter/thinner/lighter/darker/etc and then see how that correlates to how they report their body image.

--Patrick

I think a more interesting study would be for women to make female avatars, for men to make female avatars, and then for women to be presented with the avatars made by men for them to play. Then you look for body issues.

figmentPez

Staff member
Severe local 0-Day escalation exploit found in Steam Client Services

I can't give a TLDR because I'm too tired to understand the details. There's some sort of exploit in Steam that allows users to elevate their privileges, but I don't know what the implications are. At the very least it means that physical access to a Windows machine with Steam installed allows limited account users to do things only an Admin could, but I don't know if there's more to it than that. Does anyone else want to figure out if this means that games from a malicious, or compromised, developer could do nasty things? Or if mods could take advantage of this exploit?

GasBandit

Staff member
Severe local 0-Day escalation exploit found in Steam Client Services

I can't give a TLDR because I'm too tired to understand the details. There's some sort of exploit in Steam that allows users to elevate their privileges, but I don't know what the implications are. At the very least it means that physical access to a Windows machine with Steam installed allows limited account users to do things only an Admin could, but I don't know if there's more to it than that. Does anyone else want to figure out if this means that games from a malicious, or compromised, developer could do nasty things? Or if mods could take advantage of this exploit?
Well, anyone who has physical access to a machine can already do whatever they want, limited account or not.

But the worrisome part of this is that software installed by steam could then be used to bypass the usual levels of windows protection that tell a program "you're not allowed to write here/make changes like that." This would have to be deliberately coded into the game itself, it's not something a workshop mod would do (mods on the workshop don't contain executable code, just assets).

So, in the short term, the practical thing to do is not use/buy/install/run any games from authors that are not extremely well known and trusted.

But the SUPER worrisome thing is that Steam is apparently refusing to address this issue? And the researcher who found it is starting to think they want it there. That Valve wants the ability to have a backdoor into your system that will basically give it free reign to do anything and run anything and control everything.

If that doesn't get addressed at some point within a few weeks... it might be time to re-evaluate the wisdom of using steam.

You know as much as those guys lied so damn much before the game released, at least they are trying to slowly live up to that original hype. Most game companies would have taken the money from the deception and peaces out onto the next big project.

Dave

Staff member
I liked the game when it first came out but it was really limited. Played it again a few months ago and it was amazing how much it changed. Now this. I really feel that they got pressured to release early by Sony. Everything they WANTED to do then is coming to pass now.

Sure there's still some issues with the game. I mean, after a time it gets to be pretty much the same and there's still no real "end game". But the journey there is still epic.

As someone who has no interest in any sort of multiplayer component to NMS, I'm mainly interested in being able to ride creatures.

The main thing I'm hoping for in an update is more variety in environments. Right now you can pretty much say right away what sort of landscape and flora a toxic planet, a frozen planet, a scorched planet, etc will have. I enjoyed NMS most when I just started out, and could explore planets without much of an idea of what I'd see. That's what makes exploration worthwhile, after all, that sense of not knowing what's waiting for you. But now, if I see a toxic planet, I automatically know it's going to be a green-tinted planet with those weird tentacled trees and cactus-looking plants. A frozen planet will always look like Skyrim, with evergreen trees and snow and ice everywhere. Imagine if they shook up this formula, where you could find a planet that's verdant and beautiful, with a crisp blue sky and colorful grasses, except uh oh, the air is toxic.

More variety in ships and fauna would also be nice, but it's mainly the environments for me.

Dave

Staff member
Same, @bhamv3. And oceans need to be DEEP! Water planets are so damned shallow.

But yeah, after a while the creatures and environments were pretty "samey". I have like 3.5 billion credits right now and there's no reason to play the game.