Video Game News and Miscellany

I have a feeling this is why I haven't picked up any Soulsborne games in quite a while, didn't buy the Dark Souls remaster, and am iffy on the new FromSoftware game. Much as I loved those games, and still do, returning to form with them would take the kind of effort I just don't see the need for anymore toward a video game.

As usual, my attitude is not typical with this. I’ve gotten to where the toxicity doesn’t bother me*. In fact the harder they try/deeper they dig/more vulgar they get, the more likely I am to assume they’re just getting madder, and the more likely I am to treat them the same as I would a squalling kid in a restaurant...except unlike the restaurant, I can just mute ‘em and move on.

—Patrick
*I only really experience it in Overwatch, so I realize it may be different elsewhere.

The industry at large is growing intolerant of this, as the OG Nintendo/Atari generations become middle aged. Most of us didn't lose interest in the hobby, most of us are okay with sharing the space with a younger generation who likes different games than we do, but we've (for the most part) outgrown the racism and sexism we tolerated from each other when we still felt we were the real "outsiders" in life, even if younger fans haven't.

That's part of the recent string of controversies with pro players acting like fucking monsters; they are at the age where they are supposed to have outgrown this shit, but decided to keep doing it in public because their fans do. Too bad for these fucks that the OGs (and corporate sponsors) want to actual make the pro scene respectable and sustainable.

I'm starting to wonder if older gen gamers are just going to isolate themselves in private servers or what in the coming years, because it's clear they aren't having fun with the kids.
I guess that's the thing. It's not something I ever had to personally "grow out of." I'm sure I had my own immature, insufferable moments as a teenager, but I never spouted racist or sexist slurs. That kind of grew out of the general "for the lulz" 4chan internet culture and then just sort of became a...thing for the general younger audience/players.

I wish it was as easy as muting them in games, though. Unfortunately, that toxicity bleeds into the gameplay, too. It's why I stopped playing Awesomenauts. It wasn't just the attitude or language. It was how they'd suddenly play because they were having a temper tantrum. Blatantly letting the other team kill them ("feeding") and not helping at all. Constantly trying to micromanage and criticize literally every move I made, including what abilities I bought. Or constantly talking about how great they are and how bad we are to the point that they just sat in the respawn to "prove it," leaving us at a 2 vs 3 disadvantage.

I guess that's the thing. It's not something I ever had to personally "grow out of." I'm sure I had my own immature, insufferable moments as a teenager, but I never spouted racist or sexist slurs. That kind of grew out of the general "for the lulz" 4chan internet culture and then just sort of became a...thing for the general younger audience/players.

I wish it was as easy as muting them in games, though. Unfortunately, that toxicity bleeds into the gameplay, too. It's why I stopped playing Awesomenauts. It wasn't just the attitude or language. It was how they'd suddenly play because they were having a temper tantrum. Blatantly letting the other team kill them ("feeding") and not helping at all. Constantly trying to micromanage and criticize literally every move I made, including what abilities I bought. Or constantly talking about how great they are and how bad we are to the point that they just sat in the respawn to "prove it," leaving us at a 2 vs 3 disadvantage.
I really enjoyed League of Legends but hated the community, to the point that quitting that game was something I never regretted. It's why I gravitate more towards games with older crowds now, like Blood Bowl! Which is currently on sale!

... I'll stop now.

Blatantly letting the other team kill them ("feeding") and not helping at all. Constantly trying to micromanage and criticize literally every move I made, including what abilities I bought. Or constantly talking about how great they are and how bad we are to the point that they just sat in the respawn to "prove it," leaving us at a 2 vs 3 disadvantage.
This sort of thing happens frequently in Overwatch, too. In competitive play, if enough people report someone for this kind of behavior, those players can get banned from competitive play. In the non-competitive modes, your score literally means nothing (except for XP towards your next loot box), so even if you don’t report them for their unsportsmanlike attitude, there’s no real harm done to your reputation/rank.

I mean, one of my favorite things to do to people who whine about how much the rest of their team is sucking is to remind them that the game always matches you with people of similar ability.
... I'll stop now.
Don’t lie.

—Patrick

I really enjoyed League of Legends but hated the community, to the point that quitting that game was something I never regretted. It's why I gravitate more towards games with older crowds now, like Blood Bowl! Which is currently on sale!

... I'll stop now.

Narrator: He didn't stop.

Last edited:
Why the fuck would you make a horror game for mobile that isn't essentially "Scary Stories the Game" like Corpse Party is? You need isolation to make Horror games work.

Why the fuck would you make a horror game for mobile that isn't essentially "Scary Stories the Game" like Corpse Party is? You need isolation to make Horror games work.
The AAA gaming industry turning everything into cash grab mobile games is pretty terrifying.

I was actually just thinking about how great it would be if all of the big publishers move all of their games to mobile, and take all of their loot boxes and live services with them to mobile where it belongs, and then the Indies that still make good games can thrive
I'd like to see some of these indie studios become the next big publishers. One could argue Devolver Digital has, for example.

I'd like to see some of these indie studios become the next big publishers. One could argue Devolver Digital has, for example.
Devolver has published DOZENS of games. They seem small, but only because most of what they put out is small. In reality, they are kind of a huge player in the indie scene.

GasBandit

Staff member
And probably some sweet Fortnite dances.
Cash for cosmetics/emotes is one of the things I don't have a problem with. Of course, when the dances cross over to RL and middle school dances consist of a half dozen confused adults watching 30 tweens t-pose around one kid doing the floss....

In semi-related news, wow the reddit vermintide community is a bunch of fucking wankers.

Cash for cosmetics/emotes is one of the things I don't have a problem with. Of course, when the dances cross over to RL and middle school dances consist of a half dozen confused adults watching 30 tweens t-pose around one kid doing the floss....
Oh my god, I didn't know you went to our dances! I would have introduced myself!

In semi-related news, wow the reddit vermintide community is a bunch of fucking wankers.
Hahaha, my daughter is the tween sitting on the side with her head on her hands lamenting that Fortnite ever existed. At least I did something right with my parenting. :p

(I actually don't give a shit about kids Fortnite dancing. They could be wearing flannel shirts and chokers and brooding a lot instead.)

I feel like I need to rent it at some point just to know it actually exists. I kinda thought it would vaporware someday.

They haven't revealed many Disney-themed worlds yet, so either there won't be many in this one or they're keeping a couple a secret.

Twitch Presents had a bunch of Kingdom Hearts ads during their Pokemon marathon that my daughter and I occasionally turned on, and it seems like they were cramming every Disney franchise they could think of into it.

Twitch Presents had a bunch of Kingdom Hearts ads during their Pokemon marathon that my daughter and I occasionally turned on, and it seems like they were cramming every Disney franchise they could think of into it.
So far I've seen Toy Story, Monsters Inc, Big Hero 6, Pirates of the Caribbean, Frozen, Tangled, and then the usual staples of Winnie the Pooh and Hercules which don't really count to me since they're kind of side areas.