Video Game News and Miscellany

Except that 2D art assets aren't cheap to make. Hell, when Udon agreed to do the art for HD remake of Street Fighter 2 Turbo no expected the massive delays or how much work would be involved, almost to the point of Capcom scrapping the project.
Not cheap? Of course not. Cheaper than full blown AAA 3d graphics? By a long shot.

Is it sad that, despite how much I loathe the idea of the story being told across multiple platforms, I'm still strongly considering getting KH 1.5 when it comes out in September?
Nope, and that's actually a good way to get into it since it's essentially the main characters' beginnings. That video you posted gives you all the details you need from Birth By Sleep. Dream Drop Distance is kind of needed if you want to get caught up due to the final world's cutscenes, but you can just watch the cutscenes for a bunch of the games on Youtube. The only thing you'd be missing out on is the Fantasia world.

100% agreed with this. Isn't this more or less what Valve is doing these days?
In theory. The story goes that at Valve, there's no real structure, everyone is free to work on whatever project they want. So you have some guys working on TF2, some guys working on Portal, some guys working on DOTA etc. If you decide you don't like what you're working on, you're free to simply push your desk (their desks come with wheels) to another team and join them.

Does it work? Well, sort of. Valve doesn't release many games, but when was the last time they put out a stinker?

Also, I imagine the Valve office has this cobwebbed corner with a lambda sign hanging above it. Every now and then, someone will glance at it and turn to the guy next to him, "Hey, maybe we should work on Half-Life for a while."

And the response inevitably is, "Nah, I'm gonna make some more hats."

Not cheap? Of course not. Cheaper than full blown AAA 3d graphics? By a long shot.
Actually, much like traditional animation vs 3D animation, the size of the art department you'd need to pull off a large-scale game like you're thinking of would probably be incredibly expensive. 3D modeling/animation is surprisingly cheap thanks to most of the work being done by rendering software and server farms.

Actually, much like traditional animation vs 3D animation, the size of the art department you'd need to pull off a large-scale game like you're thinking of would probably be incredibly expensive. 3D modeling/animation is surprisingly cheap thanks to most of the work being done by rendering software and server farms.
A large scale 2D game can be done now with RPG Maker. I think you're misunderstanding what I mean by large.

Oh, you want one that looks like garbage. I thought we were talking Bastion or Dust 2D looking games.
Yes, that's exactly what I said. :rolleyes: The fact that CynicismKills liked your post further's my previous point. (You also used a bad example. Bastion was made within 2yrs by 7 people. If Square put even a few more people than that on it, with their resources, it'd be bigger, faster and better. FYI)

Damn you're in a bad mood today.

But Bastion was limited. Had less than a dozen levels and only had a few enemy types. What you're talking about would be a massive undertaking. Something on the scale of FF6 with Bastion level visuals would be a tremendous amount of work.

But Bastion was limited. Had less than a dozen levels and only had a few enemy types. What you're talking about would be a massive undertaking. Something on the scale of FF6 with Bastion level visuals would be a tremendous amount of work.
Again. I never said it wouldn't be alot of work. I said it'd be less costly than a full 3D AAA production like FFXIV.

FF14 is dumb and is as likely to bankrupt Squeenix as anything, that I can agree with you on.
Well I was using an extreme, but again, they should refocus their budget into an idea like that. Have you seen the garbage that is FFTS? It's like they didn't even bother trying. The graphics are PS1 era.

Around E3 weekend, Nintendo is hosting demos for the games they're showing off at E3 at 100+ Best Buys around the U.S. and Canada. You can see if one's near you.

We have one about 30 minutes away, and while I'd like to go, I'm wary of lines.[DOUBLEPOST=1369883256][/DOUBLEPOST]
Well I was using an extreme, but again, they should refocus their budget into an idea like that. Have you seen the garbage that is FFTS? It's like they didn't even bother trying. The graphics are PS1 era.
I wouldn't mind PS1 era graphics if it wasn't going to be some shitty mobile micro-transaction game.

Around E3 weekend, Nintendo is hosting demos for the games they're showing off at E3 at 100+ Best Buys around the U.S. and Canada. You can see if one's near you.

We have one about 30 minutes away, and while I'd like to go, I'm wary of lines.
Tangent!

I used to work at Best Buy, as the gaming senior, and will never step foot in there, or futureshop, again. I was called a douchebag for not doing the work of the departement lead, in charge of three departments total(carfi, gaming and digital audio), when they fired her. Also told, while I can't be asked to come in while not scheduled to get this work done, I should take initiative to do so, for no pay, to keep the areas running well since they a)weren't hiring anyone new into the position and b) weren't promoting myself or the other seniors in these depts into it.

I called HR and nothing really came of it. Everyone was pulled aside and told they wouldn't be asking to do those things again, then we were handed an argreement asking us to do those exact things, but in writing so we couldn't go back and say we weren't. I left shortly after and returned to work at the movie theatre chain I had left to start at Best Buy. I could smell the scent of death coming and warned others.

A month later, the store I left changed formats to run on fewer staff. They were already understaffed as it was, and several were bought out of their positions. Six months after that, all three stores on the island closed, as people I worked with showed up to their job one day to find a security guard posted out front. They were led into the building and given severence. Corprate had come in over night, like downsizing ninjas, and put up brown paper all over the windows.

Since then, I've gone from what was a on contract assistant manager job to salaried theatre manager, so, for me, it worked out in the end. There are others whom still haven't found work, and others still who, strangely, went back to work for the company through futureshop.

Best Buy / Futureshop has infamously working conditions here where I live. Also their service suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

Tangent!

I used to work at Best Buy, as the gaming senior, and will never step foot in there, or futureshop, again. I was called a douchebag for not doing the work of the departement lead, in charge of three departments total(carfi, gaming and digital audio), when they fired her. Also told, while I can't be asked to come in while not scheduled to get this work done, I should take initiative to do so, for no pay, to keep the areas running well since they a)weren't hiring anyone new into the position and b) weren't promoting myself or the other seniors in these depts into it.

I called HR and nothing really came of it. Everyone was pulled aside and told they wouldn't be asking to do those things again, then we were handed an argreement asking us to do those exact things, but in writing so we couldn't go back and say we weren't. I left shortly after and returned to work at the movie theatre chain I had left to start at Best Buy. I could smell the scent of death coming and warned others.
I'd like to point out that this is illegal, even if you sign a contract saying you'll do it. If your working at the store, they have to pay you for your time, period. Or at least it is in Ohio.

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but how about that Blizzard cutting the Titan team by 70% (reassigning staff elsewhere) and scrapping what they've done altogether, resetting development? Sounds like whatever they were up to was not panning out.

I'd like to point out that this is illegal, even if you sign a contract saying you'll do it. If your working at the store, they have to pay you for your time, period. Or at least it is in Ohio.
Absolutely illegal here as well. I also never did it. Others in the store did though.

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but how about that Blizzard cutting the Titan team by 70% (reassigning staff elsewhere) and scrapping what they've done altogether, resetting development? Sounds like whatever they were up to was not panning out.

As terrible as that sounds, it be one of two possibilities. It could be that what they had already produced simply wasn't of the quality that they demand, and they chose to scrap it and begin anew rather than continue with a sub-par product.

The other possibility is that it wasn't profitable, and their corporate overlords scrapped it and wants to remake it into a first person modern military shooter.

Blizzard is notorious for doing that. I didn't even bat an eyelash. If a game ain't going to be what they expect it to be, they'll axe it.

I'm pretty sure that Thrall Adventure that predates Warcraft 3 was like 90% when they scrapped it. There's a pre-release copy of it floating around on the internets and I KNOW there is a full playthrough of it somewhere on Youtube.

Titan was leaked to be a time traveling MMO with the world changing depending on how the enviroment was affected in the past. It was going to be present/future sci-fi MMO.

Frank - They specifically said it wasn't panning out.

Titan was leaked to be a time traveling MMO with the world changing depending on how the enviroment was affected in the past. It was going to be present/future sci-fi MMO.

Frank - They specifically said it wasn't panning out.
Well, that really sucks, but considering the scope of what they were attempting, I can see why it wasn't panning out.

figmentPez

Staff member
Alamogordo approves Atari excavation

On Tuesday, Alamogordo's City Commission approved a deal with Canada-based film production and entertainment company Fuel Industries to excavate the Atari dump site and create a documentary surrounding the Alamogordo landfill legend.
Someone is digging up those old E.T. and Pac-Man cartridges, to see what's actually buried there.

This would make a very interesting premise for a horror movie.

figmentPez

Staff member
When did Yoshimickster get a time machine?

Plants Vs Zombies 2: It's About Time

It's going to be Free to Play and exclusively on iOS to begin with. *Yawn*

Trailer is pretty awesome, though.

a) While I don't care for exclusives, it's not like it won't end up on PC and every other device
b) I normally loathe FTP, but... these guys made an incredible game with the first one... surely they aren't going to throw all that away for the worst of the FTP model right? Right? :confused:

a) While I don't care for exclusives, it's not like it won't end up on PC and every other device
b) I normally loathe FTP, but... these guys made an incredible game with the first one... surely they aren't going to throw all that away for the worst of the FTP model right? Right? :confused:
It's a really late April Fools gag right?

In theory, free-to-play is a great idea. IN THEORY. It would be great if it wasn't "pay-to-win," which is sadly, usually the case.

Sadly, I don't think that's the case here.