Video Game News and Miscellany

The only Uplay games I have are settlers 6 and 7, but they've already turned off the servers for 6 and I guess it's just a waiting game before they turn them off for 7, too.

Weirdly enough, seems i got asked in 2020 about it, but for the account where i had e demo or something, but no games.

The account with the games i saw no e-mail about it, and the saves are still there (they might be local though). But i don't see From Dust in it, and i'm sure i played it a little. HoMM7 i think i just never played it before, so it makes sense not to show up, since i only got it on Steam atm...

EDIT: NVM, appartently i never uninstalled the HoMMIV beta, and it appearing in the list threw me off, since i'm used to betas disappearing when they're done. The other games didn't show up because tey where not installed. They're all there.

Last edited:

figmentPez

Staff member
I've got a lot from Ubisoft: Assassin's Creed 2, AC 4, AC Origins, Far Cry 3, FC Blood Dragon, FC4, For Honor, Rayman Legends, Steep, Trackmania, Trials Rising, Watch Dogs, and WD2.

Grand total spent: $0 (if you don't count what I've paid for an Amazon Prime subscription over the years, which I would have had anyway.)

I just logged in to see what I had on uplay...
View attachment 45622

lololol
Aw shit, I forgot I had Rocksmith

Hmm, Steam says I last played this in 2017. Still have it installed, so I tried to play it. Steam gave me a message that I would need to re-enter the product key (and provided said key), but was able to load the game fine.

Also was able to log into uPlay without issue.

I have quite a few Ubisoft games, including five Assassin's Creed games and one Just Dance game. I feel like letting my Ubisoft account expire out of principle now. Fuck Ubisoft.

Correction, six Assassin's Creed games. I forgot I got AC: Unity in a giveaway back when Notre Dame burned down. Still haven't played it. Probably never will.

figmentPez

Staff member
I'm continually amazed at how many big name retro-tech products existed that I never heard of back in the day:

Does this solely exist to go in rich kid's bedrooms?

figmentPez

Staff member
8BitDo just keeps releasing cool new controllers I wish I could buy: 8BitDo Micro This one is a successor to the Zero and Zero2, fitting in four more buttons to the tiny form factor.

8BitDo micro-green.png

While the obvious use of one of these is to carry around for playing games on a phone, or other portable device, one of the reasons the Zero was popular well after 8BitDo stopped producing it was it's use as hotkeys for artists with drawing tablets.

figmentPez

Staff member
Running Windows games on Android is continuing to improve:

TL;DW A program called Winlator isn't exactly plug-n-play but it is a lot easier than what has come before. The latest and most powerful Android tablets (Samsung Galaxy S9 in the video) can only run Fallout 3 or Oblivion at about 40fps, but it's still a huge step to be able to run x86 games on ARM with all the necessary programs bundled together in one package.

it's still a huge step to be able to run x86 games on ARM with all the necessary programs bundled together in one package.
Crossover, a package which translates Windows-specific calls into whatever the local flavor might be, is starting to get DX12 support on Macs. This might not be a big deal to most people, but since modern Macs use ARM, the technology will no doubt eventually trickle down to/be adapted for other ARM platforms as well.

—Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
For anyone who hasn't heard, Quake 2 got a remaster that released recently, and it's free if you already own the game on Steam.

It wasn't Nightdive was it?

Those fucking sneaks keep making incredible remasters out of nowhere.

Quake 2 and 3....what a time to be playing video games.

There has to be a point where everyone who has access to these things has to have been made aware that posting them on WT forums is literally treason. FFS.

There has to be a point where everyone who has access to these things has to have been made aware that posting them on WT forums is literally treason. FFS.
Playing War Thunder and/or other such games is currently something they check for when granting security clearance to people in regards to weapon systems in the US military. They know better now. I think this happened because it happened in Europe with the Eurofighter Typhoon, not a US or NATO manual.

figmentPez

Staff member
Volition, maker of Saints Row and Red Faction, is being closed down due to it's parent company's financial troubles. PC Gamer Article

Volition's last three titles (the Saints Row reboot, Agents of Mayhem, and Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell) have all been critical and financial disappointments, so it's not that surprising, but I still think it's sad. Volition has been dicked around by publisher mandates and being bounced around to a whole bunch of different companies over the last couple decades. They were forced to make Saints Row 4 a rushed full game, instead of DLC for SR3. They were forced to make Red Faction: Armageddon a linear shooter, instead of an open-world successor to Red Faction: Guerrilla. They were forced to make Gat Out of Hell an small expand-alone title. I'm not sure if publisher mandates had anything to do with Agents of Mayhem, or the SR reboot, but by the time those were made they'd been layoffs, being shuffled around to multiple parent companies, and I'm not sure how many of the original team remained.

If this means the PC patch for Saints Row 2 is now never going to happen, that will be even more sad (RIP IdolNinja).