Video Game News and Miscellany

GasBandit

Staff member
Ok, I've started a new thread for Grounded, in case anybody else wants to get in on it.

Shocked Pikachu face

Google products are just a self-fulfilling prophecy of failure at this point and I have no idea how Google gets past that.

Gonna guess "Ad Revenue."
Does "blackmailing people with the data you've accumulated" technically count as "ad revenue?" I'm not sure.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Par for the course. The radio station I worked for had just finished changing automation systems to GRA (Google Radio Automation) and had been stable less than a year when we got the news that GRA was shutting down and being sold to WideOrbit.

If there's every been something true said about Google, it's this: every new service is just a scam to get investment money for the next new service.

I swear, this happens so often in the gaming industry, especially. The people who made a game or IP successful in the first place are pushed out.

Of course, given gaming history, I expect those people will form their own studio and create a spiritual successor to Disco Elysium.

Do we know why?

--Patrick
It's becoming more and more apparent that the folk who've spent upwards of 20 years working on Disco Elysium (seriously) were forced out by money hats looking to monetize the FRANCHISE.

The remaining devs are acting like the three fired folks were no big deal too, real shitty look, especially since one of the fired people wrote HALF OF THE ENTIRE GAME on his own.

Basically, most of the Eastern Europeans who made up the core group are gone, all that's left are the UK people.

Last edited:
It's becoming more and more apparent that the folk who've spent upwards of 20 years working on Disco Elysium (seriously) were forced out by money hats looking to monetize the FRANCHISE.

The remaining devs are acting like the three fired folks were no big deal too, real shitty look, especially since one of the fired people wrote HALF OF THE ENTIRE GAME on his own.

Basically, most of the Eastern Europeans who made up the core group are gone, all that's left are the UK people.
Imperialism squashes the commies once more.

Can't wait for the announcment of Disco Elysium 2 with a game as a service feature and NFTs.

Edit: I can already guess what the next Jimquisition will be about.

Can't wait for the announcment of Disco Elysium 2 with a game as a service feature and NFTs.

Edit: I can already guess what the next Jimquisition will be about.
“Disco Elysium 2 is an open-world, rogue-like deck building game with first person shooter elements. Pre-order to get the Supreme Edition with a DLC Season Pass and be one of the first people to play ‘Zombie Wave’ mode online against players from around the world!”

Last edited:
“Disco Elysium 2 is an open-world, rogue-like deck building game with first person shooter elements. Pre-order to get the Supreme Edition with a DLC Season Pass and be one of the first people to play ‘Zombie Wave’ mode online against players from around the world!”
DLC 1 will be a battle royale mode.
DLC 2 will be a cute farm sim
And exclusive on Epic

Here's the thing though: can they even MAKE Disco Elysium 2 without those people? Like, the game takes place in a universe previously used in a novel by one of the people ejected from the company. He created the setting, whole piece. So unless there was some transfer of ownership of rights, what exactly can ZA/UM DO other than the same kind of game but in a different setting?

I know this is going to get taken wrong and I think it's awful what happened. She should get all the money she can wring out of them, I'm sorry it happened to her and the others and I wish them all a speedy recovery because it was clearly set up like shit.

But maybe we assess the situation, a foam pit clearly too shallow for a normal fall, before we do a 6-foot flying jump directly onto our tailbone.

Again, I get there is an expectation it's set up safely so you would 100% mentally expect to be able to do that move without injury. I just feel like you'd walk up to it and see that it's clearly not deep enough for that.

I need to reiterate I'm not blaming her and I do hope everything works out for her.

Last edited:
There were multiple injuries from that pit before they finally fucking shut it down. Sounds like the whole of Twitchcon is a mismanaged mess. Spiked drinks aplenty, people in accessibility lines getting shoved out of their wheelchairs, shit like that.

figmentPez

Staff member
Valve is finally changing Big Picture Mode on Steam to something that's hopefully better:

The tweet about the change seems to be a bit premature, as following the instructions does not result in the new UI displaying, and there hasn't been any download updating beta today.

EDIT: The beta update reached me and I'm not playing around with the new UI.

EDIT2: Holy crap, this new UI needs a lot of work before it's ready to be the main UI for Steam. The sounds are obnoxiously loud, there's a whole bunch of menu items that still assume you're running this on a Steam Deck, using the B button to go back shows inconsistent behavior, while I was playing a game the overlay just stopped working.

Last edited: