Video Game News and Miscellany

I understand Nexus' decision not to support such mods, but an outright ban for doing it seems unnecessarily harsh. It's not like Pride flags were replaced with Nazi flags or something. The default in the game is 100% a great inclusivity thing, that I feel represents NYC as whole, but if someone just wants American flags everywhere on their own modded copy, what's the big deal? I wouldn't say that warrants a full ban - just a removal of the mod from Nexus. I dunno, it seems like we're towing a line here - especially since the opposite is allowed. I've seen mods released where everything is decked in Pride stuff - including ol' Spidey. Again, cool. I'm all for that, but it'd be interesting to see if a modder that removed all churches (for example) in NYC would get the same treatment...
But on the other hand... nah, fuck 'em.

I understand Nexus' decision not to support such mods, but an outright ban for doing it seems unnecessarily harsh. It's not like Pride flags were replaced with Nazi flags or something. The default in the game is 100% a great inclusivity thing, that I feel represents NYC as whole, but if someone just wants American flags everywhere on their own modded copy, what's the big deal? I wouldn't say that warrants a full ban - just a removal of the mod from Nexus. I dunno, it seems like we're towing a line here - especially since the opposite is allowed. I've seen mods released where everything is decked in Pride stuff - including ol' Spidey. Again, cool. I'm all for that, but it'd be interesting to see if a modder that removed all churches (for example) in NYC would get the same treatment...
It seems pretty clear what the message was and that this was not a geniune interest in providing alternative flags. I don't think a mod that offered a variety of flags uploaded from a legitimate account would have been a problem

Lol fucking Nintendo.

Glad I sold my Switch. Not paying 80 Canadian dollars for games that barely run on the Switch in the first place now having to actually deal with Denuvo?

PS: Nintendo has sold 111 million Switches, so you know, piracy is a major problem and without this they will surely fail.

figmentPez

Staff member
Piracy is a service issue, and Nintendo has failed to provide the service that customers expect, time and time again. They make some damn good games, but outside of that they've got some serious issues they refuse to address. Hopefully Denuvo will drive even more customers away, because Nintendo needs to come down off their high horse.

Lol fucking Nintendo.

Glad I sold my Switch. Not paying 80 Canadian dollars for games that barely run on the Switch in the first place now having to actually deal with Denuvo?

PS: Nintendo has sold 111 million Switches, so you know, piracy is a major problem and without this they will surely fail.
So reading the press release, they seem to claim the problem is the PC version of games are protected but the switch isn't, so pirates looking to play the game on PC download the switch version instead and run it on an emulator

Which is something that no PC pirate has ever done

The main game often went on sale for $5 or less.

The problem has always been the ridiculously overpriced DLC. Most of it cost more than the average full priced indie game EVEN WHEN IT WAS 50% OFF. And I swear they jack up the prices during sales.

People complain about the amount of Cities Skylines' DLC, which is a fair criticism, but at least it's relatively reasonably priced by comparison, especially during sales. Sims DLC is never reasonably priced, even on sale.

Last edited:
Yes it requires Origin. Really almost all the expansions just add a new life stage you can play in the game. You know, like actual jobs you can visit, go on vacation, go on an adventure, go to college. The newest one lets you go to high school.

None of those are really needed if you just want to enjoy the building a house and watching a guy live a life game. The only one that really feels like it adds a lot is the pets expansion and that's just because pets really feel like they should have been in the base game to be honest.

Hmm, thanks. I'm still holding out on not installing Origin for as long as possible though. I'll probably cave when Mass Effect Legendary Edition goes down to a low enough price on Steam, but before that, I'm gonna be stubborn.

GasBandit

Staff member
Valheim will be on Microsoft's PC game pass at the end of the month.

So if you were curious about 2021s most talked about PC game, but didn't want a pony up the cash for an early access title, and for some reason you have a Microsoft PC game pass, here you go.

Valheim will be on Microsoft's PC game pass at the end of the month.

So if you were curious about 2021s most talked about PC game, but didn't want a pony up the cash for an early access title, and for some reason you have a Microsoft PC game pass, here you go.
Microsoft PC game pass is amazing, I've played literally every Yakuza game on it.

Harvestella

Square Enix has a farming/life sim coming out in early November on both Nintendo and Steam.

There is currently a demo on Nintendo eShop.

It’s currently downloading :)

I will be getting this game. I would prefer Steam if it’s Steam Deck compatible.

Overwatch 1 dies Oct 2.
Are you going to throw your long-awaited funeral for Mei?
"Oh but she's still in OW2"
Yes, but it seems that the current (i.e., remaining) game designers are trying to move away from the whole "constantly swap mid-game between hard counters" mentality in order for teams to be able to succeed without rotating their characters every 5min. That's one of the reasons for the alterations to characters' kits.
I still don't know if this means we're going to see more one-tricking, since there's going to be less of a requirement to swap chars now?

--Patrick

Hey remember Wizard101? I do. My character celebrated his 13th birthday last month, in fact. Seems they got hacked yesterday. Or something.

Yet another scandal down goin' on down in TX, I suppose.

--Patrick

Grounded 1.0 launched today, if you've been waiting for it to leave Early Access.

I can't wait to dive back into this. If anyone wants to play it on a dedicated server, let me know and I'll happily join in. I'd really like to play this with others. It's also still available on Game Pass.

Grounded 1.0 launched today, if you've been waiting for it to leave Early Access.

I can't wait to dive back into this. If anyone wants to play it on a dedicated server, let me know and I'll happily join in. I'd really like to play this with others. It's also still available on Game Pass.

I'd actually really like to play this in co-op but three kids and two working adults make for sparse play time. I would not be a reliable gaming buddy. I'm not even sure my 11 year old would be a reliable gaming buddy!

How terrifying are the spiders? Wondering if my kids would like to play it or if it would be too much. I understand there are settings to limit that scariness, so it may be a moot point.
There are terrifying as hell but the game as a whole is kid friendly. There's even a build mode if they want to just explore and build without being attacked.

And there's arachnophobia mode, with a slider that can make spiders just a weird floaty blob.

GasBandit

Staff member
I talked to the dude I've been gaming with mostly lately, and he wants to try it too, so I'll see about setting up a dedicated server.