Video Game News and Miscellany

Netflix, this is not the way to have a positive view of your new gaming service:

Stranger Things 3 is being removed from Steam and GOG, but may soon appear on Netflix's gaming app

People who have already purchased the game will still have access to it, but it won't be available for purchase soon. While it won't be a huge loss, the game is good but not great, it still is kinda shitty that Netflix is taking it down.
This does not make me more willing to get the Netflix gaming app. This just makes me less willing to play Stranger Things 3.

So I guess the president of Tripwire came out big time for the Texas abortion bounty bullshit and a lot of folks pointing out that there are songs in Killing Floor with lyrics explicitly about how abortion is evil. I don't play their games, but I know a bunch of you do.

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
The dev house for Killing Floor and Maneater is vocally pro-life? That seems a bit disingenuous to me. Another day, another Milkshake Duck, I suppose.

NOT A WOLF in one of the best and continuously true Tweets ever.

It's not even a thing to be mad about anymore. It's just ok, move on.

Last edited:
I feel like the immediate cancellation of contracts with companies they've fruitfully worked with got the other money people angry.

The Shipwright letter basically starts with "This didn't have to happen if you'd kept your mouth shut but now you've involved us."

Me: I don't know, I've thought about getting a PS5 but there haven't really been any exclusives that make it worth getting.
Sony: How about this?
Me: Yup, that'll do it.

Marvel's Spider-Man 2

Me: I don't know, I've thought about getting a PS5 but there haven't really been any exclusives that make it worth getting.

Marvel's Spider-Man 2

Insomniac is also doing a Wolverine game though almost nothing was shown and what was is a cinematic.

Last edited:

Marvel's Spider-Man 2

Spoiler for Spider-man PS4:

So do we think that's Harry in the symbiote?

Nobody looks good in this lawsuit. I hope Epic and Apple come to an agreement that will only affect Apple users before the judge makes a decision that affect all of us.
Well that happened a lot quicker than I expected.
Unless appealed, the following will all go into effect in 90 days:
  • Apple MUST permit app makers/developers to conduct/advertise purchases within their apps, sidestepping the App Store, assuming the user has given permission to do so. (Winner: Everyone but Apple)
  • Apple DID NOT engage in antitrust behavior. Apple is allowed to control Apple's app store because it's Apple's app store. (Winner: Apple)
  • Epic broke Apple's rules and therefore owes Apple damages of US $3.6 million for the period during which Epic was breaking Apple's rules, plus other damages for other things Epic should have known better than to do. (Winner: Apple)
  • Cutting off Epic's developer account was completely legal because again, it's Apple's app store and Apple can administer it however they see fit. (Winner: Apple)
This part was the most fun to read:
Epic Games [argues] that Apple does not compete with anyone; it is a monopoly of one. Apple, by contrast, argues that the effective area of competition is the market for all digital video games[, and] that it does not enjoy monopoly power [there], and therefore does not violate federal and state law.

The Court disagrees with both parties’ definition of the relevant market.

[A]fter evaluating the trial evidence, the Court finds that the relevant market here is digital mobile gaming transactions, not gaming generally and not Apple’s own internal operating systems related to the App Store.
tl;dr: Judge: "You're both being babies. Neither of you gets what you want. Pray I do not alter the deal further."

--Patrick

I'm hearing a lot of people think it's Kraven the Hunter.
That's what I'm guessing from the narration. I'm guessing Kraven will be a key villain, but maybe not the final boss.

On the other hand, they could have Kraven and Venom team up and the final boss is a Venomized Kraven, similar to the old PS1 Spider-Man final boss being a Carnage-ized Doc Ock. That could be neat.

EDIT: Thinking about it more, Kraven could appear early in and you beat him, but he swears revenge and looks for ways to better himself and be on more equal ground. So that's when he turns to Venom.

Last edited:

figmentPez

Staff member
Easy Anti-Cheat now supports Proton / Wine

Another big step forward for gaming on Linux. This is part of Valve's big push to make the Steam Deck run as much of the Steam library as possible at launch. This isn't an automatic fix, developers will have to go game-by-game, updating to the latest version of EAC, enabling Proton/Wine support, and then testing for compatibility. What I'm reading says it's relatively little work for developers though, mostly just setting flags if they're already running up-to-date EAC.

This will potentially allow a lot of games to function online. Halo: The Master Chief Collection already has the single player running well under Wine/Proton, and Phil Spencer (executive vice president of gaming at Microsoft) has publicly praised the Steam Deck, and apparently has one for testing. Other games that use EAC include Fortnite, Apex Legends, Back 4 Blood, Rust, Warhammer Vermintide 2, and dozens of others.