Video Game News and Miscellany

THQ is dying and "delayed" all their new games, including the South Park RPG, well into next year. The comapny isn't going to survive that long.

The only date I can find for CoH2 is "early 2013." The weird thing about it is the last issue of Game Informer ran a big spread on Metro's sequel, which is due out next year too.

I am glad my subscription to Game Informer ran out, the magazine just isn't as good as it used to be. I mean, what happened to the hilarious captions under every other screen shot? Nowadays the captions are just informative. BORING!

Game Informer is a rag, that literally sells review stuff for cash. Very rarely do they mention when it's bought adspace, but it does happen on occasion.
But that's the thing--how is THQ affording it?

And yeah, their reviews tend to be garbage. I mainly read for what's coming, not what's already out. When I'm done, my wife cuts out the free screenshots and art for her scrapbooking and other projects.[DOUBLEPOST=1353109363][/DOUBLEPOST]
Game Informer is one of the most successful magazines in the United States still in circulation. That's sad.
I miss EGM.

Yeah, the current incarnation of EGM is barely a sold out husk of the magazine before it died. I picked up an issue the other day. Their review scores rarely went below 8. In fact, only 2 reviews out of dozens were scored below an 8 average. The articles were all shitty and even Seanbaby's endcap article was half-assed.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm not happy with what Squeenix did with Supreme Commander after they wrested GPG away from THQ.

But really, when it comes right down to it, how much of a game is the publisher, and how much is the developer? I do hope Volition (Saint's Row) lands on its feet.

I'm not happy with what Squeenix did with Supreme Commander after they wrested GPG away from THQ.

But really, when it comes right down to it, how much of a game is the publisher, and how much is the developer? I do hope Volition (Saint's Row) lands on its feet.
Everything I remember was that Chris Taylor wanted to make Sup Com 2 for consoles too, how much of that was at their publisher's mandate, I don't know. Either way, I'm going to miss THQ. As many shitty mistakes as they made, they also allowed their developers to do what they wanted. They never forced Relic to make multiplatform games they didn't want to make.

GasBandit

Staff member
Everything I remember was that Chris Taylor wanted to make Sup Com 2 for consoles too, how much of that was at their publisher's mandate, I don't know.
Hm. Well, I don't know either. All I know is Supreme Commander 2 was such a disappointment.

There's:

Saint's Row
Darksiders
Company of Heroes
Homeworld
Metro
Homefront
Red Faction
Let's just ignore all IPs THQ has that I care about.

Destroy All Humans!!
Titan Quest
err, I can't actually think of any mroe. There were one or two others, but I was confusing THQ with Ubisoft.

Frankly, I won't shed a tear over their passing, and I can only hope some smaller publishers with better business ethics can take their place. Can we just give all of their IPs to Valve? :p

Well, most of the devs from TitanQuest are now working on another ARPG, Grim Dawn. They Kickstarter'd and got the money, so it's well underway, I think.

GasBandit

Staff member
Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance ruined me to RTS games. I have absolutely no patience for unit micromanagement any more, to say nothing of restrictive/missing base building, unit options, autoformations, decent air units, etc etc etc. I can't even really play DoW any more.

DoW 2 sucked hard. They had the chance to make it awesome like Company of Heroes. Instead we got a giant piece of crap where cover means nothing, there are hardly any units and the base is an afterthought.

GasBandit, Supreme Commander is my second favorite RTS ever (first is Company of Heroes). It's brilliance still hasn't been matched as far as I'm concerned.

The single player in DoW2 was pretty fun but other than Last Stand, it's multiplayer was shitty.

Anyways, some next gen console news. PS4 early devkits are out there now and...well, they're not unimpressive.

Developers are currently taking receipt of a new PlayStation 4 dev kit, VG247 has been told today, with a final version slated to appear in January. Yes, it’ll have Blu-ray. No, it isn’t being made in Japan.

Multiple sources have confirmed to VG247 today that a new version of the Orbis kit is now shipping to developers, and that it’s housed in a normal PC case.

There are to be four versions of the dev kit, we were told. A previous version was essentially just a graphics card. The version shipping now is a “modified PC,” and the third version, appearing in January, will be close to final spec. A final version will be delivered to developers “next summer”.

Some US developers attended a “disclosure meeting” at Sony’s offices this week, with a further meeting to take place in the coming weeks. The purpose of the meeting is for Sony to tell studios what the machine is designed to do, to detail hardware and to show a set of presentations.

Our source told us that Sony is only calling the machine Orbis, and is not using the words “PlayStation 4″ in these meetings at all.

Orbis, we were told today, is based on the AMD’s A10 APU series. An APU (Accelerated Processing Unit) is a combined CPU and GPU.

PS4′s APU was described today as a “derivative” of existing A10 hardware. The hardware is “based on A10 system and base platform”.

The “ultimate goal” for the hardware, we were told, is for it to be able to run 1080p60 games in 3D with “no problem,” to create a machine that’s powerful enough for “today and tomorrow’s market”.

The dev kits have “either 8Gb or 16Gb of RAM. Deduce from that what you will.”

The hardware is not being made in Japan, it was said.

When asked if PS4 will have an optical drive, specifically Blu-ray, our source responded: “Of course it has.” We’ve been told the hard drive will be 256Gb “as standard,” but it’s not clear if it’ll be a normal HDD or a solid state drive.

We were told that Sony’s aim with Orbis is to avoid problems involved in launching PS3 by creating something “very affordable” but that “isn’t a slouch”.

The machine has WiFi and Ethernet connectivity and HDMI out. Our source said the was “no difference” between PlayStation 3 and Orbis input/output.

The UI, however, has been revamped. It was said today that players will now be able to press the PS button mid-game and travel “anywhere” on the system. An example given was buying DLC from the PS Store mid-game then seamlessly returning to play.

“They’re trying to make it as fluid as possible,” our source said.

We were also told that the machine will be designed to accept system and product updates in the background, and that it’ll “always be standby mode”. When you set the console up, we were told, you’ll be asked if you want to allow background downloads. You can, of course, disallow them.

No details have been given on the pad as yet. Confirmation is expected this month.

Orbis is expected to be announced at an event “just before E3″ next year.
http://www.vg247.com/2012/11/01/ps4_...playstation_4/
The hard drive being 256 GB sure sounds like it's going to be a solid state, but that would definitely add to the pricetag in a not insignificant way.

Man, there's a picture rife with memories. It was, to me, the last bastion of real game journalism, even if it was only for Nintendo systems. Always felt like it was written by people who legitimately cared about the content, as opposed to shills like IGN and the rest.

Patrick Klepek and Ben Kuchera are about all that's left of actual games journalists. Klepek is literally the only guy in the whole fucking industry who digs for stories and cites sources and contacts the parties involved and Kuchera has been writing some of the best stories on gaming there is. Who would have thought Penny Arcade Report would be the fucking best place for interesting video game news stories.[DOUBLEPOST=1354245902][/DOUBLEPOST]
I had a subscription forever. Every month it would come in, and I would spend hours pouring over it.
Yup.

That silver Mega Man X cover with the Starfox card paper Arwing.