Video Game News and Miscellany

Sword and science and world traveling and the like.

Oh man, the battle theme is so good.

The battles are as Zeboydy as it gets. The enemies get increasingly difficult as the battle goes on so it's in your best interest to take them out as quickly as possible.

Reactions: Jay
It's funny. I'm sitting on Mass Effect: Andromeda, Cosmic Star Heroine, Planescape Rejiggered, etc.

And all I want to do is play Eternal.

GOD DAMN YOU POE!

GasBandit

Staff member
Did everybody who wanted a NES Classic get one? No? Well too bad. Because in the most "Nintendo" of business decisions, Nintendo has decided to discontinue the hard-to-find, perpetually-sold-out item. Because they're a biz whiz!

https://techraptor.net/content/nintendo-to-discontinue-nes-classic-this-month[DOUBLEPOST=1492129642,1492129450][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, got a Kaby Lake or Rizen processor? Prefer windows 7 to 10?

WELL FUCK YOU

http://techreport.com/news/31741/updates-for-windows-7-and-8-1-on-kaby-and-ryzen-are-now-blocked

Because here at microsoft, we're not even gonna make a pretense to the old "PCs are open" thing anymore, we wanna lock everything down tight as fuck and dictate your experience, Apple style!

Did everybody who wanted a NES Classic get one? No? Well too bad. Because in the most "Nintendo" of business decisions, Nintendo has decided to discontinue the hard-to-find, perpetually-sold-out item. Because they're a biz whiz!
What a bunch of morons.
I think Arstechnica put it best:
nintendoh.png

we wanna lock everything down tight as fuck and dictate your experience, Apple style!
Hey now, that's not true. Apple continues to support their hardware for at least five years after it is discontinued. Win8.1 came out what, about three and a half years ago?

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
They're probably pissy that people hacked it to put more games in. Nintendo hates emulation.*

*except when they do it, or when they can use the work of other people who have done it

They're probably pissy that people hacked it to put more games in.
I have to concur with this. Nintendo is always going to have problems managing it's back catalog for two reasons:

- It's games ARE objectively worth $5 a piece, at least for the best of the best anyway. The quality is there and it does cost money to dump a rom and format it look good on a modern TV...

- ... but I can download their entire library of games in less than an hour from the internet, for free, and they will generally look and work better than what Nintendo puts out because emulation programs have better customization of experience.

This is why I keep proposing a Netflix style program: let me pay Nintendo $10-15 a month for unlimited access to their entire library of retro games.

I have to concur with this. Nintendo is always going to have problems managing it's back catalog for two reasons:

- It's games ARE objectively worth $5 a piece, at least for the best of the best anyway. The quality is there and it does cost money to dump a rom and format it look good on a modern TV...

- ... but I can download their entire library of games in less than an hour from the internet, for free, and they will generally look and work better than what Nintendo puts out because emulation programs have better customization of experience.

This is why I keep proposing a Netflix style program: let me pay Nintendo $10-15 a month for unlimited access to their entire library of retro games.
Nintendo Switch online counter-offer: one game for your subscription, you can play it that month, and then you can't anymore.

I didn't even know there had been a Nintendo Direct this week. And Nintendo really wants us to know they're not done with the 3DS yet, or at least want to make sure we get ports of last year's Japan releases.

So happy to see Full Throttle remastered. Double Fine did a - heh - fine job on Day of the Tentacle and Grim Fandango. I expect no less in this one.

Now I shall add it to my wishlist and await a good Steam sale. Because I'm a cheap bastard.

I'm trying to think of any other games I'd like to see remastered and put on Steam/GoG. The last two Monkey Island games (Curse & Escape) come to mind. Also, I've never had the pleasure of playing them, but I've heard the No One Lives Forever games are great and in desperate need of a re-release or remastering. I'd also love to see The Movies get put on GoG.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm trying to think of any other games I'd like to see remastered and put on Steam/GoG. The last two Monkey Island games (Curse & Escape) come to mind. Also, I've never had the pleasure of playing them, but I've heard the No One Lives Forever games are great and in desperate need of a re-release or remastering. I'd also love to see The Movies get put on GoG.
Given that you're liking Hitman, I think you'd probably also like NOLF (or at least NOLF 2, 1 had some issues) as it is a FPS with an optional stealth/problem-solving focus and a generous bit of humor. It's showing its age, given that it came out in 2002, but not as much as one might think.

Given that you're liking Hitman, I think you'd probably also like NOLF (or at least NOLF 2, 1 had some issues) as it is a FPS with an optional stealth/problem-solving focus and a generous bit of humor. It's showing its age, given that it came out in 2002, but not as much as one might think.
I THINK I played a demo of NOLF 2 once, on a PC Gamer demo disc. But I never got around to playing either full game.

I'm trying to think of any other games I'd like to see remastered and put on Steam/GoG. The last two Monkey Island games (Curse & Escape) come to mind.
IMO Curse doesn't really need a remake. It's a cartoon-quality graphics, and so they age fine just like any other cartoon. Maybe ensured (through GoG or something) that Curse works 100% on modern hardware/OS, but that's it. I THINK that ScummVM has Curse covered, so you might be ready-to-go there. Sure they could go a BIT more on graphical fidelity (SVG maybe for future-proof) but it's not like the first two where it was pixel art and HAD to be re-done.

Didn't play Escape, so can't comment.

And as DarkAudit referenced, unless you know somebody who has a pirate copy left over from 15 years ago, you likely never will.
That's sad. Doubly sad that its creators actually wanted to re-release the games.[DOUBLEPOST=1492541772,1492541630][/DOUBLEPOST]
IMO Curse doesn't really need a remake. It's a cartoon-quality graphics, and so they age fine just like any other cartoon. Maybe ensured (through GoG or something) that Curse works 100% on modern hardware/OS, but that's it. I THINK that ScummVM has Curse covered, so you might be ready-to-go there. Sure they could go a BIT more on graphical fidelity (SVG maybe for future-proof) but it's not like the first two where it was pixel art and HAD to be re-done.

Didn't play Escape, so can't comment.
Like the recent Full Throttle remastering, I imagine it wouldn't need much remastering aside from adding pixels and upping the quality to HD. It'd still be nice to see. Plus, commentary, achievements and other things are a nice bonus.

And yeah, ScummVM does cover Curse. I played it on ScummVM several times. I'd still like to see it more readily available in my Steam library. It's more about convenience than just playing it.

I have to agree here: although NOLF1 has the better story, the forced-stealth-or-restart sections ruin an otherwise really amazing game. Stealth is optional, but perferable in NOLF2.

STAY AWAY FROM CONTRACT JACK.

I wouldn't mind a Crimson Skies remake for modern hardware, myself. With a new engine, higher poly models and 4k textures.
High Road to Revenge was a more action focused, but worth sequel... but yes, I want ether a Crimson Skies remake or another sequel.

GasBandit

Staff member
I thought of some other games I'd like to see remade.

Chuck Yeager's Air Combat. A-10 Tank Killer. 688 Attack Sub (or SSN-21 Seawolf, which was basically a 688 remake already). M.U.L.E. Descent: Freespace (both 1 and 2, possibly together).

Also, I'm kinda surprised that as many times as Doom has been remade, nobody thought to remake Quake.

You know what's just ACHING for a remake? Betrayal at Krondor.

I thought of some other games I'd like to see remade.

Chuck Yeager's Air Combat. A-10 Tank Killer. 688 Attack Sub (or SSN-21 Seawolf, which was basically a 688 remake already). M.U.L.E. Descent: Freespace (both 1 and 2, possibly together).

Also, I'm kinda surprised that as many times as Doom has been remade, nobody thought to remake Quake.

You know what's just ACHING for a remake? Betrayal at Krondor.
Chuck Yeager's Air Combat was SO GOOD.

And we've already discussed M.U.L.E. and how good it could be now.