Video Game News and Miscellany

figmentPez

Staff member
Bhwuh? Direct2Drive is going to have a game rental service... on PC?

@Direct2Drive tweets:
RT @snakpakk: The rumors are true- D2D now has a rental service and it's live. Details to follow in a Gamers Unite blog post.

I'm very interested to hear the details on this one.

EDIT: Details well, as much as they're telling. $5 gets you 5 hours of play, and the $5 can be applied to purchasing the full game.

No specific mention of how long you have to use the 5 hours, or the $5 credit.

I've always wanted a "rent to own" approach for my rentals. I remember renting Lufia 2 like 6-7 times back in the day because I loved it so much, when I could have bought it for all the cash I spent renting it.

Reactions: Jay
I've always wanted a "rent to own" approach for my rentals. I remember renting Lufia 2 like 6-7 times back in the day because I loved it so much, when I could have bought it for all the cash I spent renting it.
Fuck yeah, the original 2 Lufias rocked. The 2nd was better. The music was awesome. Too bad they fucked up the later portion of the series. The last few were DREADFUL.

C

Chibibar

Interesting system. I guess the client will download the game "as you play" kinda like the new "WoW" download system except it will be in cache. So when you buy the game, the full version will be downloaded to your system. (This is a total guess) It would be "easier" to hack if a full version can be downloaded and play. I'm sure someone will figure out how to "extend" the time play off line to "unlimited"

Fuck yeah, the original 2 Lufias rocked. The 2nd was better. The music was awesome. Too bad they fucked up the later portion of the series. The last few were DREADFUL.
I don't think the GBA sequels were made by the same team. I know the DS remake/reimagining of Rise of the Sinistrals was made by the same team as the original game though. It's not an RPG, but the story is the same except for a few minor differences (like Iris spends most of the game with your party instead of flying off all the time).

I don't think the GBA sequels were made by the same team. I know the DS remake/reimagining of Rise of the Sinistrals was made by the same team as the original game though. It's not an RPG, but the story is the same except for a few minor differences (like Iris spends most of the game with your party instead of flying off all the time).
Pretty much this. And playing Lufia as a alternating single character japanese themed hack n slash was beyond degrading for the franchise. The originals on the SNES were glorious, everyone wanted more, we got SHIT.

The music was decent enough and after a short visit on goggle, I got them all, the gameplay however...

figmentPez

Staff member
This demo of Little Deviants on the NGP/PSP2 makes me want to get one (also, it has an OLED? That is going to look so good, but how long before the blue starts to fade and the colors go wonky?)

figmentPez

Staff member
I just checked the best seller list on Steam, and Magicka is #1 on the chart. It's a $10 game, #2 on the chart is Dead Space 2, which came out this week at $60. I've heard that the chart isn't ranked by numbers sold, but by dollar amounts. If so, that means that Magicka outsold Dead Space 2 by at least 6 to 1.

Congrats to the guys at Arrowhead Game Studios.

figmentPez

Staff member
A game from a new developer outsells a highly anticipated and highly advertised sequel, at least 6 times over, and that doesn't impress you?

J

Jiarn

If it were $60 vs $60? Absolutely. When Borderlands came out and broke out as huge as they did, THAT impressed the hell out of me.

When Plants Vs Zombies and World of Goo did HUGE sales, it didn't. They were cheap and quick to get.

figmentPez

Staff member
Well, I haven't seen it happen much. I never saw the charts where Plants vs Zombies did higher sales than whatever AAA $50 title it was up against on Steam. And I've been watching the charts. I've seen a lot of other hit games that were cheap, still loose out to the big titles. They might have sold more copies, I don't know, but their dollar figures didn't get them to the top of the charts when I was looking.

J

Jiarn

I'm not sure they did, I'm simply stating situation where I personally was going to be impressed.

Ex: I'd buy a $10 good game over a $60 Big Title any day of the week, then again I'm not the "majority".

That can easily mean it's a different kind of game. Like Alien being a horror movie and Aliens being an action movie.
Let me put it another way: They said that it played better in every way. Weapons were more balanced, it was easier to move around in zero g, enemies were more threatening...

I've heard nothing but glowing commentary for DS2, including that the PC version has much better mouse mapping/acceleration than DS1 on PC.

I'm very tempted to get DS2, but I'm going to wait until the price drops first. Probably end up getting it in 11 months, for Christmas.

According to Amazon, Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together has been renamed Final Fantasy Tactics.

• Square Enix's FINAL FANTASY TACTICS series takes a major step forward as a lost tale of political intrigue, conquest, and rebellion, set in the Valerian Isles during the age of Xenegidea, is retold.

Call me largely unimpressed by another DS version that has come out this year with probably the same fucken Nintendo titles the last 10 years. Oooooh ANOTHER ZELDA.... and ANOTHER MARIO. The creativity is staggering!

Call me largely unimpressed by another DS version that has come out this year with probably the same fucken Nintendo titles the last 10 years. Oooooh ANOTHER ZELDA.... and ANOTHER MARIO. The creativity is staggering!
Mario and Zelda are like home cooking from your Mom: It hasn't changed much in the past 25 years, but it's still good, your memories of it make it taste better, and sometimes you just want it. Maybe its not the fanciest anymore but your Mom knows what she can do well and sticks with it for consistency's sake.

Also, your Mom is a quaint Japanese man who can seemingly turn his hobbies into gold.

My problem is that it's not a new Zelda; it's a 1996 Zelda. I'm still playing Spirit Tracks and enjoying it; if I want to play Ocarina of Time, it's on my Wii.

That said, I'm still a Nintendo whore. I won't be surprised if I'm playing Pokemon Black by the end of March.

I don't mind games that are created that are inspired by creativity but ANOTHER ZELDA remake? For fuck sakes Nintendo. Put something else in your creative formula and stop being so goddamn stale.

And for the record, old stale Nintendo gaming < my mom's cooking

Not that my opinion will stop the masses of the mundane flock to buy the new generation shit DS and play titles that have been released 10 years ago. It's sad when Pokemon is the most creative thing on the DS.

Not that my opinion will stop the masses of the mundane flock to buy the new generation shit DS and play titles that have been released 10 years ago. It's sad when Pokemon is the most creative thing on the DS coming from Nintendo.
Fixed that for you. Level 5 has Ni No Kuni coming out with it's strong emphasis on using a feelie to enjoy the game, while Capcom has Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective, which is receiving some great praise. If anything, the DS has been the experimental platform this generation, mainly because it's so cheap to develop for.

Yeah, third party stuff on the DS is still solid. I'm salivating for Radiant Historia later this month. Atlus has overcome Square-Enix in making good RPGs; now they just need to be making more money than Final Fantasy XXIV: Garbage 012.

O

Overflight

Pop quiz: when you hear the title Call of Juarez what is the first and/or second thing that comes to mind? Well, apparently that's what the devs are thinking too, as in yet another potentially ill conceived gimmicky makeover, the third title in the series will take place in modern day L.A. and Mexico and feature...cowboys fighting drug dealers?

http://kotaku.com/#!5754059/the-next-call-of-juarez-brings-cowboys-to-modern-day-la

I can imagine how the meeting went:

"All right: Red Dead Redemption has pretty much made making a regular cowboy game a sucker's bet so we're going to have to come up with some sort of gimmick for the next game."
"Uh, sir? I don't think that's such a good idea, it could backfire. Remember when Shellshock tried putting zombies in Vietnam?"
"Nonsense! It's our ass on the line. We need ideas, people! How about cowboys vs. zombies?"
"Been done to death, sir"
"Cowboys vs. vampires?"
"Done."
"Cowboys vs. robots?"
"Done"
"Cowboys vs. aliens?"
"Being done this year."
"DAMN IT! There's nothing we can use. Turn on the news, Jenkins. Maybe it will help me think"
"...and in International news, intensity of the conflicts between drug dealers and the police in Juarez is at an all time high..."
"BINGO!"

Pop quiz: when you hear the title Call of Juarez what is the first and/second thing that comes to mind? In yet another potentially ill conceived gimmicky makeover, the third title in the series will take place in modern day L.A. and Mexico and feature...cowboys fighting drug dealers?
So they are finally making that Walker: Texas Ranger game I've been hoping for all these years!

O

Overflight

Now THAT would be awesome. Especially if they decided to take advantage of the Chuck Norris meme and turn it into something like God Hand.